Housepets! Tails of Babylon! * Developer's Thread *

Now with new GALLERY

Moderators: Hagus, SeanWolf

D-Rock

Re: Housepets! The game.

Post by D-Rock »

The top right King-face in the second set seems to have that "old-comic" filter. Weird, on my phone, stuck out, but on my laptop it's not too noticeable.

Anyway, like that idea of Res using support skills. I decided to see which character class that would be, and discovered one I was never aware of until now. He seems to be a Green Mage. Of course, I doubt he would use magic and that he would be TP-based.

And I see that the pellet looks good there. I guess I'll go ahead and make ammo designs. And that name, that got a laugh out of me. :lol:
Got a hold of a new airsoft gun, next design will use that. After that, I'll be referencing my book or going entirely freehand. I'll likely use the latter on the Viper, Monster, and Ultimate.
Faith doesn't change circumstances. Faith changes me.
SuperStar

Post by SuperStar »

Ooooh, I can't wait to see what his Ultimate is going to look like, :D

Also, about the whole class archtypes. I've always wondered, what class archtype is Peanut?
KingFan202

Post by KingFan202 »

SuperStar wrote:Ooooh, I can't wait to see what his Ultimate is going to look like, :D

Also, about the whole class archtypes. I've always wondered, what class archtype is Peanut?
I'd Say Scholar...sort of like mage? Because hes a super genius, he just doesnt know it.
King as Red (Pokemon) Avatar By CHAOKOCartoons!
ImageImage
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

Peanut is a fan of Paladins. I suggest we either make him one or treat him as something unexpected. Like the wandering heroes from the Suikoden series. I'd like to see him wield a common weapon like it was legendary, like a bat, sling shot or a video game gun (which can amusingly be upgraded to a ray gun if permitted)
3 words - Liquid Metal Fur
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

According to the Final Fantasy Job System, Peanut would likely be a Warrior, good physical combat with the ability to take a hit for a wounded ally. If he somehow learns white magic (though highly doubt it, unless we can work in a TP based healing skill), that would make him a Paladin. Though Kingfan does bring up a point regarding his intelligence. While he still appears to have average IQ with the quirk of being an unbelievably fast reader, he does know Akkadian, and that's a dead language. Although the Akkadian thing was a dream sequence, so take that with a grain of salt.

I think Grape would fall under Monk using the Fantasy Character Class page at TV Tropes.

You know, assigning a class to everyone seems like a fun thing to do on the side.

And Cobra, Peanut already has a completed weapon set. He uses balls.
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

Ok, that's cool then. I read you guys mentioned him using balls earlier, but didn't know if it was final. If that idea is still there, then a Paladin that uses balls would be a very awesome and imaginative idea. Not to mention smiting evil... with a ball =3
CHAOKOCartoons
Banner Artist
Location: On this 3 dimensional shape we call "The place we happen to exist I guess?"

Post by CHAOKOCartoons »

SuperStar wrote:Sounds awesome Chaoko!!! Though, Max only accompanied Peanut and Grape into the first dungeon in the demo, not a big deal, just a reminder.

BTW, for "Angry Fan Riots", if you intend to draw an enemy picture for that sometime, one cat should be shown angrily ripping apart a book, :lol:

Nice portraits also. I notice that most of King's faces show him in some sort of distress.
Oh right, Max was optional in that first part... :? I guess we can change it to Grape having the realization then, unless ya wanna do some special scripting if you had Max with you.
Oh that is a good idea for an enemy! It may take a while to draw that one, but it's doable :) Though I don't think people know that Res is the real writer of Pridelands, so it'd be odd for them to riot directly at them... but of course we can write in a reason!:
In the scene where they meet up with Res, he mentions that his owner, Ms.Auburn (I just looked at what her name was, I totally forgot), had halted the signing to let Res look for the laptop and that people have been getting getting impatient. A group of angry fans identify Res as Auburn's pet and try to ask him why Ms.Auburn had stopped the signing. Grape and Max then step in the way and act as his body guard, initiating the first fight. And of course they appear as random encounters in the mall.
Yeah that's why thought about making a third face sheet, looking through the comics I realized that 40% of his faces were dead-pan/annoyed, 30% is angry faces, 15% is sad or concerned faces, 10% are him yelling, and the last 5% are when he's happy but that's only when he's with Bailey (which most of the time make it hard to edit because he'll be hugging/cuddling with Bailey).
D-Rock wrote:The top right King-face in the second set seems to have that "old-comic" filter. Weird, on my phone, stuck out, but on my laptop it's not too noticeable.
DANG IT! I tried to fix it up with King but his colors blend a bit too well with it to make it an easy fix. I did my best, but apparently it's still noticeable via phone. Oh well, I guess it'd only be a problem if we make the game a phone app (not even sure if that's possible :lol: )
SuperStar wrote:Also, about the whole class archtypes. I've always wondered, what class archtype is Peanut?
KingFan202 wrote:I'd Say Scholar...sort of like mage? Because hes a super genius, he just doesn't know it.
That's similar to what I had him as in Thread Bound, but he was mainly a white mage with good defense. However that wouldn't work in the context of this game because he's the leading party member (and because he was given power from Tarot/Dragon in Thread Bound, and in this game he's just using his own power). A paladin would be a good role for him, good in defense and can take hits for people. He could have at least a decent amount of normal attacks as well.
ImageImageImageImage
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

I would love to playtest that demo as well :3
CHAOKOCartoons wrote:
In the scene where they meet up with Res, he mentions that his owner, Ms.Auburn (I just looked at what her name was, I totally forgot), had halted the signing to let Res look for the laptop and that people have been getting getting impatient. A group of angry fans identify Res as Auburn's pet and try to ask him why Ms.Auburn had stopped the signing. Grape and Max then step in the way and act as his body guard, initiating the first fight. And of course they appear as random encounters in the mall.
Yeah that's why thought about making a third face sheet, looking through the comics I realized that 40% of his faces were dead-pan/annoyed, 30% is angry faces, 15% is sad or concerned faces, 10% are him yelling, and the last 5% are when he's happy but that's only when he's with Bailey (which most of the time make it hard to edit because he'll be hugging/cuddling with Bailey).
I figured there is a way to extend this: They get jumped as soon as they arrive at the mall for their first battle. the riot happens as soon as they get to the mall, with one of the bigglesworths warning Grape and Max that there are no autographs today. Instead, they switch the priority to Res. When they find him, the story shifts to protecting Res. :3
CHAOKOCartoons
Banner Artist
Location: On this 3 dimensional shape we call "The place we happen to exist I guess?"

Post by CHAOKOCartoons »

GameCobra wrote:I would love to playtest that demo as well :3

I figured there is a way to extend this: They get jumped as soon as they arrive at the mall for their first battle. the riot happens as soon as they get to the mall, with one of the bigglesworths warning Grape and Max that there are no autographs today. Instead, they switch the priority to Res. When they find him, the story shifts to protecting Res. :3
Hmm, yes, that seems like a much smoother transition into the beginning of this part.

Wait is the demo ready for testing? If so my "running into every wall and touching every rock" boots are strapped on and ready to go! :D
ImageImageImageImage
SuperStar

Post by SuperStar »

NO!!! The demo's not ready until I get that Ancient Chimera sprite! :lol:
CHAOKOCartoons
Banner Artist

Post by CHAOKOCartoons »

Aww, you mean I have to work to work?! Welp, here I go! :lol:
ImageImageImageImage
SuperStar

Post by SuperStar »

Much appreciation in advance.
CHAOKOCartoons
Banner Artist

Post by CHAOKOCartoons »

Hey I have that advance thing you needed. :P
Attachments
Ancient Gargoyle.png
Ancient Gargoyle.png (3.56 KiB) Viewed 10284 times
ImageImageImageImage
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

Alright, that looks really nice!
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

That really has came out really great! Good job!
SuperStar

Post by SuperStar »

Where are the other sprites of it!?

*holds thread at gun point*

No one gets the demo until I get the two other movement sprites!!!

Jk, just joking, but we will need the other sprites for the final version of the game, so if they could be finished soon just to get them out of the way that would be good.
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

Dang it, Star, that gun was meant for Fido!

...and it's an airsoft gun, it hurts like you wouldn't believe, but not too threatening!

He's right about the movement sprites, though.
SuperStar

Post by SuperStar »

D-Rock wrote:Dang it, Star, that gun was meant for Fido!
You should have never posted it here...
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

Anyway, got this.
Here we have 23950. What is it with these names for airsoft guns? :| Good luck with that one, Star.

Major changes to the original color. Also, while I didn't put in all the details on the chamber, I went ahead and added the safety, because CLEARLY my priorities are straight! And I'm aware that I forgot to add the pellet. Can you add that before putting it in the game?

Good news is, future guns will be my own drawings. While a trace job is significantly easier, it feels kind of wrong to do. Again, could simply be my own unnecessarily high standards. With how much drawing space I typically need for a design, I probably won't be able to
make as batches as big as previous weapons.

Also, liking the idea for the Res portion of the game. I would imagine if he's sufficiently leveled, he could be a great asset to the team. While still really early, will all playable characters, from major to one-time, be available for selection in the post-game?
CHAOKOCartoons
Banner Artist

Post by CHAOKOCartoons »

Wait, the thing needs to move?! How much?! Like, idle, just moving forward or all directions because if it's either f the last to we may have a bit of a pickle... :?

EDIT: Oh it DOES move! I couldn't tell, I just thought there was just 3 of the same sprites for some reason :oops:
ImageImageImageImage
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

Judging from the word "two" and the fact that four different monsters share a large sheet with only forward animations, just a stepping forward set.

So yeah, pickle. Why, though? No need to rush yourself ragged.
Saturn381

Post by Saturn381 »

Nice job, Chaoko and D-Rock.
CHAOKOCartoons
Banner Artist

Post by CHAOKOCartoons »

NO! No breaks! I'll finish this here and now! KYAAAA!
and thank you Saturn :)
Attachments
Ancient Gargoyle.png
Ancient Gargoyle.png (8.03 KiB) Viewed 10240 times
ImageImageImageImage
SuperStar

Post by SuperStar »

*carefully counts sprites*
One... Two... Three... Okay, looks like you're holding up to your side of the deal.
*throws away gun*
But I'm gonna shoot someone anyway!
*takes the new gun D-Rock just uploaded at shoots Buster in the arm*
MWAHAAHAH!
*locks himself in the RPGMaker and starts work finishing the demo*
Invisan

Post by Invisan »

Thought i might make you aware of something "advertise" *cough cough* again.

In the newest Humbelbundle you can get again access to RPG Maker VX Ace Deluxe Edition for >10.83$ Including Various DLC and stuff.

https://www.humblebundle.com/

Since i know that Super uses RPG Maker maybe its interesting for you or someone of the others.

Also there are Spriter Pro and Sprite Lamp which may be interesting for Buster/Chaoko.

If someone wants something of that Package tell me. Maybe i can spare it since i bought the whole Package ^^
My Fan-Fic Fox goes to Heaven (again)

Well i have a furaffinity acc now so i can upload my Fanart somewhere else then imgur ^^ Come in and find out.
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

Officer Fido would like to remind everyone at home that he only uses guns in a JRPG because guns in videogames don't kill real people: real guns do. =P
SuperStar

Post by SuperStar »

GameCobra wrote:Officer Fido would like to remind everyone at home that he only uses guns in a JRPG because guns in videogames don't kill real people: real guns do. =P
He would also like to remind you that using foodbowels only make you fat in real life, they don't in videogames. :lol: Allingoodhumorallingoodhumor

EDIT: Hey guys, update on the demo. Here's some of my bro's debugging log.

"*-Bugs
>-Opinion

*-INFINITE FLASHLIGHTS!!1!!111!!1
>-Increase time inbetween screen fadein and Peanut waking up
>-'Didn't she leave.' <--?
>-insert quote about the dim lighting?
*-Attic text blocked off
*-Wall not solid
>-Add diversity to the quotes?
*-'Must of it'
>-Reorganize events upon waking Grape, shake screen after peanut speaks
>High-pitch growling
*-Flashscreen before party member joins?
>-Change Grape's Portrait?
*-Book shows up later
>-Recruit music too loud(!!!)
*-'It doesn't sound to[o] safe
>-Light quote? Add interaction for attic assets
>-Have a quote regarding equipping weapons, e.g 'we should get our weapons ready before we go outside'
>-Jukebox too loud(!!!)
*-MAP CRAAASH
*-Music plays way after chapter one appears
>-Fix Parrallel processing? Or not? Trolololol
>-Fix Chapter card sequence
>-Racoon doesn't disappear right away
>-Break up the map to reduce lag(!!)
*-FIX THE LAG I REFUSE TO WORK UNTIL FIXED"

He's not even halfway. Yeah... try to calculate how long it'll take till the demo is finished.
KingFan202

Post by KingFan202 »

-gives star some cookies-

YOU CAN DO IT :3

Cant wait to play test it :D
King as Red (Pokemon) Avatar By CHAOKOCartoons!
ImageImage
GreatKitsune

Post by GreatKitsune »

Sorry I haven't been involved. Been working on the Diamonds in the Dark remix competition from Matthew Parker's label.
SuperStar wrote:
GameCobra wrote:Officer Fido would like to remind everyone at home that he only uses guns in a JRPG because guns in videogames don't kill real people: real guns do. =P
He would also like to remind you that using foodbowels only make you fat in real life, they don't in videogames. :lol: Allingoodhumorallingoodhumor

EDIT: Hey guys, update on the demo. Here's some of my bro's debugging log.

"*-Bugs
>-Opinion

*-INFINITE FLASHLIGHTS!!1!!111!!1
>-Increase time inbetween screen fadein and Peanut waking up
>-'Didn't she leave.' <--?
>-insert quote about the dim lighting?
*-Attic text blocked off
*-Wall not solid
>-Add diversity to the quotes?
*-'Must of it'
>-Reorganize events upon waking Grape, shake screen after peanut speaks
I definitely agree. PEANUT MAKE EARTH SHAKE!!!
SuperStar wrote:>High-pitch growling
*-Flashscreen before party member joins?
>-Change Grape's Portrait?
*-Book shows up later
>-Recruit music too loud(!!!)
I was going to make a replacement SFX for recruitment anyway, so might as well do it now.
SuperStar wrote:*-'It doesn't sound to[o] safe
>-Light quote? Add interaction for attic assets
>-Have a quote regarding equipping weapons, e.g 'we should get our weapons ready before we go outside'
>-Jukebox too loud(!!!)
*-MAP CRAAASH
*-Music plays way after chapter one appears
>-Fix Parrallel processing? Or not? Trolololol
>-Fix Chapter card sequence
>-Racoon doesn't disappear right away
>-Break up the map to reduce lag(!!)
*-FIX THE LAG I REFUSE TO WORK UNTIL FIXED"

He's not even halfway. Yeah... try to calculate how long it'll take till the demo is finished.
Also, I noticed when Peanut wakes up the 2nd time, one song starts playing, then the theme starts after a few seconds. :?
Hello, low order beings!

Community Involvement, peepoll!
Someone wise once wrote:I wish I could ride a magical girl's purple flying unicorn to Narnia through Lebouff's Shire, the land of trololol.
CHAOKOCartoons
Banner Artist

Post by CHAOKOCartoons »

You're experiencing lag? That's odd, maybe it's from the lighting effects? The map shouldn't cause you lag unless it's REALLY big, the maps we've seen seems pretty large but they weren't massive. Then again, only you know how big it really is so I can't really say much about that...
Everything else seems like a pretty quick fix over a certain amount of time (the crashing thing is beyond me though :? ). Take your time Super, as a dev I know how tedious it could be to fix bugs. :)
ImageImageImageImage
GreatKitsune

Post by GreatKitsune »

Wellp, got 3 new SFX for you to put in the demo.

Level SFX:

http://www.mediafire.com/listen/d09hwgx ... el_SFX.wav

Battle Lose SFX:

http://www.mediafire.com/listen/suzreiz ... se_SFX.wav

Character/Party Recruitment SFX:

http://www.mediafire.com/listen/if4wwbt ... it_SFX.wav

EDIT: Aaand the Sandwich Home.

http://www.mediafire.com/listen/548l6bv ... _Home).wav
Hello, low order beings!

Someone wise once wrote:I wish I could ride a magical girl's purple flying unicorn to Narnia through Lebouff's Shire, the land of trololol.
SuperStar

Post by SuperStar »

Thanks Greatsune!!! All that stuff will make the experience better!

@Chaoko, I've found an Antilag script that makes Babylon Gardens playable, but it still slows down at times. I'm not gonna worry too much right now, but I'll try to find another way to fix the lag.
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

Music Thoughts;

Level SFX: Love how it sounds like a firework in the beginning!
Battle Lose SFX: Wow, this one makes you feel bad. Like "way to go, dude." At least you're not going the depressing route like this.
Recruit SFX: Okay, this was nice.
Sandwich House: ...Awesome. Loved how mellow it started, then eventually built up to something incredible! That one could very easily stand on its own!

And that's quite the list of bugs, Star. Good luck with that.

About the screen shaking when Peanut wakes Grape up, I always thought a face like this worked better.
Saturn381

Post by Saturn381 »

Nice job on the music, Kitsune. :)
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

I've been thinking this for a bit now, but what direction do we want the game over screen to go? I've had the idea of a black screen, with a spotlight shining down on one of the starter weapons, but two things against that. One is that seems kind of dark. Two, whose weapon, as I don't think it's feasible to make one for every weapon type.

What are everyone else's ideas?
GreatKitsune

Post by GreatKitsune »

D-Rock wrote:I've been thinking this for a bit now, but what direction do we want the game over screen to go? I've had the idea of a black screen, with a spotlight shining down on one of the starter weapons, but two things against that. One is that seems kind of dark. Two, whose weapon, as I don't think it's feasible to make one for every weapon type.

How about 3 screens (1 for game, 1 for shadow fights, and 1 for post-game)? The standard could be the Nue laughing while standing over the piled, unconscious party members. The shadow alternate could have the shadow come from behind the pile and rush the screen. The post could be just the pile with nothing special. All would of course have the Game Over text at the top.
Hello, low order beings!

Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

The shadow one might be kind of scary though. We don't wanna give people heart attacks now.
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

Sounding good, Kitsune, especially the Shadow one, but they all have the same problem; with so many possible characters, I don't think it's wise to make a screen that shows the heroes. Too many possible variations. How about the standard one is simply Nue looking down from above the Game Over screen? Same for the Post-game screen, except make only eyes visible, like if they were from the Shadow Wolf.

The Shadow Boss part will suffer that same problem. Too many variations. Unless it's possible to program an animation with the game over screen and have the shadow pop out like FNAF. Basically, one game over screen, and depending on which one you lost to, it would pull up their jumpscare. Still, are animated game over screen possible in the engine? Even then, I'm sure it would be a lot of work to animate that.

Liking that possibility, though.
CHAOKOCartoons
Banner Artist

Post by CHAOKOCartoons »

GreatKitsune wrote:
D-Rock wrote:I've been thinking this for a bit now, but what direction do we want the game over screen to go? I've had the idea of a black screen, with a spotlight shining down on one of the starter weapons, but two things against that. One is that seems kind of dark. Two, whose weapon, as I don't think it's feasible to make one for every weapon type.

How about 3 screens (1 for game, 1 for shadow fights, and 1 for post-game)? The standard could be the Nue laughing while standing over the piled, unconscious party members. The shadow alternate could have the shadow come from behind the pile and rush the screen. The post could be just the pile with nothing special. All would of course have the Game Over text at the top.
Those sound darker than the first one! :lol: Also, I'm not sure if the game over screen can have animation, or that there can even be multiple game over screens. :?
However, we might be able to have a "movie event" trigger before the game over screen. If necessary, I can make an animation for specific game overs. Though if there's only one game over screen, it has to be relevant in all game over scenarios (A.K.A who's currently in your party). If we were to have it based on the character's weapons, we'd have to show the ones of the party members that will always be in a party or are the most important. So far the only party leaders have been Peanut and Grape, so their weapons should be displayed. I assume King will be a party leader as well, so the same would go for his. However, if you are allowed to not have any of those 3 in the party at any time it won't make sense.
The same would go for showing the party members, it wouldn't make sense if none of the main members were in the party.
It needs to be pretty vague, but not too generic either... or too complicated... or too dark...
D-Rock wrote:Sounding good, Kitsune, especially the Shadow one, but they all have the same problem; with so many possible characters, I don't think it's wise to make a screen that shows the heroes. Too many possible variations. How about the standard one is simply Nue looking down from above the Game Over screen? Same for the Post-game screen, except make only eyes visible, like if they were from the Shadow Wolf.

The Shadow Boss part will suffer that same problem. Too many variations. Unless it's possible to program an animation with the game over screen and have the shadow pop out like FNAF. Basically, one game over screen, and depending on which one you lost to, it would pull up their jumpscare. Still, are animated game over screen possible in the engine? Even then, I'm sure it would be a lot of work to animate that.

Liking that possibility, though.
That sounds about right for the main game over screens (again, unless there cant be multiple game over screens)
A simpler version of that jumpscare thing would be to just have the game "fake glitch out" and start flashing the shadow face at random intervals. I feel like it's a bit mean to put a full on jumpscare in a game that is completely not horror based. :P
ImageImageImageImage
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

What about showing a sort of chessboard with a bunch of (unidentifiable) red eyed and violet eyed pet figurines, but several of the red ones are knocked over?
Most important thing I've learned from D&D?
No matter how tempting it may be, as a DM I can't both present a problem and solve it.
Every time a DMPC or NPC fixes something a payer couldn't i'm diminishing and undermining that player's contribution.