Housepets! Tails of Babylon! * Developer's Thread *

Now with new GALLERY

Moderators: Hagus, SeanWolf

SuperStar

Re: Housepets! Tails of Babylon! * Developer's Thread *

Post by SuperStar »

I'm for the cunning creepy rather than crazy creepy. Don't worry about writing, I'll be the one doing it in the long run, just leave it to me 8-)

Greatsune, that track is RAD! I love it! I don't think it should play in the Zoo, it sounds per se "to good" for the Zoo...

Also, I said this before but I never got an answer. Are we really going with the fan-art Fido for the banner? I know the other one isn't accurate, but I think consistency is more important than accuracy.
Obbl
Smiley McSmiles

Post by Obbl »

SuperStar wrote:Also, I said this before but I never got an answer. Are we really going with the fan-art Fido for the banner? I know the other one isn't accurate, but I think consistency is more important than accuracy.
Agreed
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

i didn't see the point in replying given my stance should have been obvious; the whole discussion started because i couldn't stand the other version.
Most important thing I've learned from D&D?
No matter how tempting it may be, as a DM I can't both present a problem and solve it.
Every time a DMPC or NPC fixes something a payer couldn't i'm diminishing and undermining that player's contribution.
CHAOKOCartoons
Banner Artist
Location: On this 3 dimensional shape we call "The place we happen to exist I guess?"

Post by CHAOKOCartoons »

I don't mind it either way. It doesn't bother me and the art isn't bad so eh. However, I wouldn't consider it "fan-art" since it came from one of the main artist of the game. :)
ImageImageImageImage
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

Well, I think I like the "cunning-creepy" route for Barghest. Sort of like Louis Cypher in the Shin Megami Tensei games. Polite guy, helpful, but if you choose to fight him, he reveals himself as the Fallen Angel, Lucifer. Barghest could be eerily calm, maybe even polite, but by the time you meet him, you know he's not about the nice things. The mouth design seems to go towards the crazy route, though. I know we want to hold up on him until we actually get there, but I just had to say my thoughts. Maybe when he's first encountered, he'll be like this. Calm look, but subtle things could give just a small hint of rage. And when he's ticked, something like this.

Really neat image, though, Buster.

Liking that track, too, Kitsune. Not sure where we could use it, though.

Also, how's this looking?
Attachments
Revolution.png
Revolution.png (156.34 KiB) Viewed 11013 times
Faith doesn't change circumstances. Faith changes me.
Dissension

Post by Dissension »

CHAOKOCartoons wrote:I don't mind it either way. It doesn't bother me and the art isn't bad so eh. However, I wouldn't consider it "fan-art" since it came from one of the main artist of the game. :)
I would consider it fan art since this is all a giant fan project. *giggles*

It's cool that y'all are so passionate about this.

people are the only things that matter; take care of yourselves and each other
SuperStar

Post by SuperStar »

The great Devil Squirrel has blessed us by posting on our humble thread! *starts bowing*

Anyhoo, looking nice D-Rock! BTW, if you find the time, maybe you could stray away from Fido's weapons for a small duration to design Bino's first weapon. Just his first, nothing else for now. It's cause, you know, Bino's gonna be playable in Chapter 2 along with Fido and Fox, and we already have their starting weapons, so... Well, you get it. Anyway, it's just a suggestion.
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

GreatKitsune wrote:I envision him as more of a lurking dark presence, eerily calm, confident, and cunning (a bit like Kabuto from later seasons of Shippuden). Isn't Nue's outright rival, but obviously isn't his subordinate either, rather, is using Nue as a distraction without Nue realizing it. In other words, definitely very creepy, but more in a mysterious way than insane.

EDIT: Also, this: http://www.mediafire.com/listen/b7hua76 ... Guitar.wav Tropical-esque BGM, I guess.
Why not just have the both of them act separately at first, but come together after realizing as the game moves on that they need to work together more? Even if you guys want him to be designed as a dark entity, I'm pretty certain the idea of them having fun is the whole point. Being sneaky and dark is fine, but I think losing is what they are more afraid of, similar to how Dragon and Pete just hated losing and nothing more, but this guy can amp it up more in this story.

That BGM I really liked, but I find the beat after the 30 second spot odd with the techno piano. Sounds like awesome Zoo music in my opinion as well.
3 words - Liquid Metal Fur
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

Dissension for super secret boss! If you and he are alright with that.

:roll: I'm joking people.

Serious business now, I was wondering if I should get onto Bino's starter for a bit now, but I have a mindset of doing what I was already doing first before a new set. Multitasking is something that I am NOT good at. It's one of my bigger issues at work.

...so good thing this isn't work! Yeah, I can get to making a cherry bomb starter. Those have simple designs. I'll try to get to it within the next couple days.

And Cobra, Nue and Barghest aren't working together. Nue's doing this for the fun of it. It's just that he's interfering with the mortal realm more than is allowed, which is why the others are trying to stop him. Barghest, on the other hand, is working from the shadows, and I think I mentioned that he was the one who influenced Nue to even do all of this. Not made him do it, just a nudge onto that path. We mentioned it would somehow help Barghest escape from a banishment sentence.
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

GameCobra wrote:Why not just have the both of them act separately at first, but come together after realizing as the game moves on that they need to work together more? Even if you guys want him to be designed as a dark entity, I'm pretty certain the idea of them having fun is the whole point. Being sneaky and dark is fine, but I think losing is what they are more afraid of, similar to how Dragon and Pete just hated losing and nothing more, but this guy can amp it up more in this story.
No, we discussed this before. Nue and Olde are just having fun.
Barghest, is a much older and more malevolent being that is currently sealed away, but is trying to get enough of a foothold in the physical world to be 'real' again. Doing so by taking advantage of the chaos Nue and Olde are creating to sneak his Shadows into the world.

That's why his Shadows are horror game creeps, while everything else is jrpg drama.

They aren't working together to begin with, in fact I seem to remember someone suggesting a line for Nue that would imply they're getting in each other's way, intended to tip the player off that there's more going on here.
No matter how tempting it may be, as a DM I can't both present a problem and solve it.
Every time a DMPC or NPC fixes something a payer couldn't i'm diminishing and undermining that player's contribution.
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

Nue, Olde and Barghest, eh? I somehow thought there was two in there. my bad. The names are confusing me a bit and throwing me off. X3

to be fair, though, i was hoping to see a boss merge for the final boss. Similar to the Four Sinistrals from the Lufia series from what the plot had hints of.
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

there is only two.
Nue and olde are the final boss.
Barghest, is a bonus boss in an 'after the end' plotline.

script-wise for a boss merge to occur, a character has to be shown to exist in the main storyline before you reach the final boss. Unless you want it to look like an ___-pull. Which doesn't happen here.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

That gun came out very nice D-Rock! It looks very stylish and is something I would indeed like to see utilized!
KingFan202

Post by KingFan202 »

just wanted to say im still here, out of state so im not too active at the moment
King as Red (Pokemon) Avatar By CHAOKOCartoons!
ImageImage
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

Quick, King's distracted! Post 20 pages of stuff!

:mrgreen:
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

Buster wrote:there is only two.
Nue and olde are the final boss.
Barghest, is a bonus boss in an 'after the end' plotline.

script-wise for a boss merge to occur, a character has to be shown to exist in the main storyline before you reach the final boss. Unless you want it to look like an ___-pull. Which doesn't happen here.
Good thing, too. =P

Now I got Windows 10 coming soon, but I'm currently in the process of throwing in some ideas for monster spells. If you guys have any ideas for monsters I haven't seen yet, feel free to chuck me some.
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

Monster spells? Well, we'd need to see what types of monsters we have. The demon monkeys, the mice, Blu-e, Jenny, the Feral Dog, that's all I can think of at the top of my head. I would think the Shadows would have the same moves as the character they're from, but maybe stronger variants, too.

Also, got this. Simple design. I know these things come in quite a few colors, but I decided "screw it," and got candy red. Also, maybe make the description say it's a weak one, Star. I saw images of injuries of these exploding in your hand. DO NOT LOOK IT UP.
Attachments
Cherry Bomb.png
Cherry Bomb.png (30.28 KiB) Viewed 10863 times
SuperStar

Post by SuperStar »

"Ch ch ch ch ch Cherry Bomb!" That'll definitely be part of the description.

Also, FUNFACT! Before you posted D-Rock, this thread had exactly 2015 posts, the same number as our current year. IS IT A SIGN?
Invisan

Post by Invisan »

meeeeep Wrong.

The Thread has now #2019 Posts (mine already included.)
Post #2015 was the one of Buster. So GC posted after her and D-Rock`s Post was #2017.

Well offtopic asside nice work with the Ch-ch-ch-cherry bomb D
My Fan-Fic Fox goes to Heaven (again)

Well i have a furaffinity acc now so i can upload my Fanart somewhere else then imgur ^^ Come in and find out.
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

You know, I think I was channeling the Brute Pistol from the Halo games when I came up with this. Also, I think I finally put the original intended color palette for Savage Beast to use, though the blue is because I didn't want to make too much gold. I like how it came out.

Song used; "Resistance" by Muse https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OwLP-6hZV-U
SuperStar

Post by SuperStar »

With the name "Revolution", I couldn't help but think of this, XD https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mAyI9BnA9sE

It looks awesome! And the bullet is sick!
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Wow really nice job on those weapons! They look very sick!
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

Random question, and I'm sure Chaoko is going to be a bit miffed at this, but will the shadows have face sets or just one face?
SuperStar

Post by SuperStar »

D-Rock wrote:Random question, and I'm sure Chaoko is going to be a bit miffed at this, but will the shadows have face sets or just one face?
I think the Shadow's will survive with just one face each. I've already but together a small file of the existing shadow's faces, for... personal reasons, :?
CHAOKOCartoons
Banner Artist
Location: On this 3 dimensional shape we call "The place we happen to exist I guess?"

Post by CHAOKOCartoons »

They only really have 1 emotion and 1 set of lines, they won't really require more than one face. :)
ImageImageImageImage
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Though I am interested in knowing what SuperStar has them for.
SuperStar

Post by SuperStar »

DON'T ASK, don't ask! It's... none of your concern...
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

I would guess, traumatizing younger relatives that are being annoying?
CHAOKOCartoons
Banner Artist

Post by CHAOKOCartoons »

DEE--ELLL--CEE!~ DEE--ELLL-CEE!~ :lol: I'm just kidding, that's probably not it. Though I would like to know considering that I drew them :P
ImageImageImageImage
SuperStar

Post by SuperStar »

I'm just... thinking about the future... :?
CHAOKOCartoons
Banner Artist

Post by CHAOKOCartoons »

Anyway, here's more content for whatever nightmarish future you are thinkin' of! :D
I feel like it's worth saying that a song actually did inspire me to work on this one. Usually I listen to songs on shuffle when drawing, but this one came on and I kept it on repeat for the whole 43 minutes. It's "Room of Angel" from Silent Hill 4: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NdXCsXcs6nA The main chorus is what really made it creepy in context of the drawing. :)
ImageImageImageImage
SuperStar

Post by SuperStar »

OKAY, I'm not sleeping tonight. But neither will my "annoying younger relatives".

BTW, is Shadow King next?
CHAOKOCartoons
Banner Artist

Post by CHAOKOCartoons »

Uhh... I think so? I've completely lost track of where the list of characters in this thread so I'll just go ahead and say yes. :? And if my hunch is correct, Fox would be after King?
ImageImageImageImage
SuperStar

Post by SuperStar »

That sounds about right.

Heh, btw, how's Fox's faces coming along? I'll need them soon. No pressure or anything.
CHAOKOCartoons
Banner Artist

Post by CHAOKOCartoons »

I uh... I actually still need to finish Bino's faces still. I just remembered that I only made set A... ^^;
ImageImageImageImage
SuperStar

Post by SuperStar »

Oh. Right. Well then, I look forward to your next contribution.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I am so tempted to use Shadow Tarot as my next avatar.

SOMEBODY PLEASE GIVE ME PERMISSION!
CHAOKOCartoons
Banner Artist

Post by CHAOKOCartoons »

You have been permitted, so long as you credit me in your sig. :)
ImageImageImageImage
Saturn381

Post by Saturn381 »

Nice job, guys. :)
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I have a feeling my avatar is gonna give people night terrors. 8-)