Abduction

Now with new GALLERY

Moderators: Hagus, SeanWolf

Amazee Dayzee

Re: Abduction

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I'm thinking that the scepter is gonna make everybody's jobs there a lot harder.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Aw, don't be so "scepter-cal"... ;) (Sorry, couldn't resist.)
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

Maniac with power he can't possibly fully fathom. Never a good combo.
Faith doesn't change circumstances. Faith changes me.
Nathan Kerbonaut

Post by Nathan Kerbonaut »

Amazee, I think you're about to get that beating you've been asking for. At least I hope so. That's a cruel cliffhanger. :x
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

If there is no beating, I will happily volunteer to give the beating. I just need to pick out a blunt object.
dr_eirik

Post by dr_eirik »

Amazee Dayzee wrote:If there is no beating, I will happily volunteer to give the beating. I just need to pick out a blunt object.
Hmm... I should reconsider this ending where Orwell slips off into the night and gets ice cream.... 8-)

I am close to posting what is likely the final part, but it was reading really flat to me. I want to go over it a bit first.
"Say, this is only tangentially relevant, but how many rings is your tail supposed to have?"
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

He can get some ice cream if he wants to. I just hope he doesn't mind eating Aflatoxin and Mercury flavor. ;)
Nathan Kerbonaut

You're scaring me, Amazee he deserves it though :shock: :lol:
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Amazee Dayzee wrote:He can get some ice cream if he wants to. I just hope he doesn't mind eating Aflatoxin and Mercury flavor. ;)
Yum?
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

if he doesn't like those flavors we've also got arsenic, lead, rattlesnake venom, white phosphor, radium cyanide, scorpion venom, strychnine, hydrogen cyanide, napalm, and buckshot surprise.
Most important thing I've learned from D&D?
No matter how tempting it may be, as a DM I can't both present a problem and solve it.
Every time a DMPC or NPC fixes something a payer couldn't i'm diminishing and undermining that player's contribution.
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

I'm hoping for karmic justice, myself, but I think we can tone it down a little, please?
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

i have no sympathy for one who was planning to use toddlers as bargaining chips.
No matter how tempting it may be, as a DM I can't both present a problem and solve it.
Every time a DMPC or NPC fixes something a payer couldn't i'm diminishing and undermining that player's contribution.
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

Fair enough. Let's hope the comeuppance that does happen is satisfactory.
dr_eirik

Post by dr_eirik »

D-Rock wrote:Fair enough. Let's hope the comeuppance that does happen is satisfactory.
I hope to post tonightvor tomorrow. I think most will by happy with the ending. Well, with the exception of Orwell....
"Say, this is only tangentially relevant, but how many rings is your tail supposed to have?"
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Can you get the death penalty for kidnapping animals in the HP! universe? No? Shame.
dr_eirik

Post by dr_eirik »

OK, here is the final installment. This was fun to write. If I get a different idea I may do this again. I'm just not sure I can do something that doesn't have a touch of darkness to it.

Despite what seemed to be requested, I did not go super-grim-dark here. If it's not grim enough... what the <censored> is wrong with you?!? 8-)

It does occur to me that, if you like this story, I have a raft of other stuff I've written going back to 1996. It's pretty much all in the "transformation" sub-genre. It ranges in rating from G to light R, I'd say. Also range in quality from "Crud" to "Barely readable" but that's just the way I feel about them. The vast majority of these were written prior to about 2005 or so.

https://www.shifti.org/wiki/User:Eirik

Anyway, on with the story.

After the events of the Game, after he decided to let fate and destiny govern his life rather than take a guarantee from Kitsune at a good human life, King had thought he would settle down quietly. He loved Bailey with all his hear, and even felt like his ability to love had expanded with his puppies. He had expected to live with her for many years, then go quietly to Heaven. He had not expected to die violently at the hands of his old partner in crime.

He felt his fur start to rise and the electricity in the room started to build. The scepter was doing something. He could feel a pressure in his head and the smell of ozone began to fill the room. It wouldn’t be much time now.

“I need you to grab this now,” said Orwell, holding it out to King.

King opened his eyes and glared, “I can’t! You have my hands bound.”

Orwell leaned in, sparks traveling outward from the scepter and striking metal objects all around the cabin. “You’re a dog, right? Grab it in your mouth, or I’ll make do with your friend.”

King took a deep breath. He couldn’t allow anymore to happen to Fox. He opened his mouth and closed his eyes again.

He heard a loud growl and opened his eyes in time to see Fox on his feet, hands still bound, rushing across the room straight at Orwell. The man was so absorbed in what he was doing that he didn’t see it coming until Fox collided with him, clamping hard down on his arm, sending a bolt of energy though the two of them.

King rolled off the table and tried to scoot toward Fox. He was laying still next to Orwell, breathing hard. King scooted forward and his shoulder touched the edge of the scepter.

King felt himself lift up into the air and slam against the far wall, the wind getting knocked out of him. Then Fox landed on top of him. The room went dark as the kerosene lamp flew against the kitchen cabinets, then flared up again and the spilled fuel ignited.

Then things got crazy.

Ralph was about ten yards away from the cabin when he heard it, a very familiar growl followed by a yelp from inside the cabin. The air suddenly felt like it was filled with static, and Ralph felt a sense of dread fill him to his core. He couldn’t move forward, and neither could any of the other police, human or K9.

Then the walls blew out. Ralph hit the ground and a storm shutter flew past at terrifying speed.

He looked around and didn’t see anyone injured, but then saw the cabin was partly collapsed and on fire. He also couldn’t move.

He was trying to get up when streaks of grey rushed in from all sides.

Miles was never prouder of his pack. His family.

They had followed him through the forest all night, following the path indicated by Deadeye. Even the pack who had allowed themselves to indulge a bit too much in civilization were keeping up, spurred on by adrenaline and perhaps a bit of anger.

As he ran, he kept looking to the stars and the rapidly closing mountains for his path. They detoured only slightly to avoid humans. He was still well aware of what this many wolves in a pack looked like. Despite traveling as fast as he felt the family could, they were barely out of breath when he smelled a few familiar dogs, the K9 officers.

He had intended to surround the cabin and then talk to the police officers, but as they took up positions, the very air changed. He dove to the ground in time to watch the building seem to push itself outward, as if by invisible hands, sending pieces all over the place.

He was back on his feet only a moment later, and despite an unfamiliar sense of dread that filled himl, he raced forward toward the collapsing building, past the frozen police, and through the shattered front door.

“King! Fox! Where are you?” he yelled as he came though, the flames getting bigger and bigger as the rest of his pack started filling the room from every opening. Several had started throwing large pieces of debris aside like matchsticks, some of it still on fire.

“Over here!” called out King from under a broken table. “Hurry! Fox is really hurt!”

Miles stepped over to the table and flung the old oak table aside. “Daryl!” he yelled, bringing the two wolves to his side. “Get them out of here! And careful, they’re both hurt!”

The two wolves picked up the dogs as carefully as possible while Miles kept looking around for their kidnapper. “Did any of you see another human? Or smell one?” The rest of the pack, now beginning to choke on the smoke, indicated they couldn’t find anyone else. “Everyone out!” he yelled. If the kidnapper was still here, he wasn’t going risk his family to save him.

Ralph rushed forward as the wolves gently placed Fox and King on the ground and broke the plastic ties that still bound the two dogs. “Are you guys OK? Where’s Orwell?” he asked.

King tried to get to Foxes side, but his feet were numb from being bound. “Fox is hurt, we need an ambulance!” The husky was gasping for breath and was only semi-conscious. Wisps of smoke rose from his singed fur. The wolves gathered around at a respectful distance, some coughing and others with singed fur themselvs. They stood vigil, waiting to help and to protect if their abductor dared to return.

Ralph looked up to see Lindberg already on his radio for medical help, but the Sergeant had seen injuries like this. He was deeply fearful that he was going to lose an officer tonight.

The thought had barely crossed his mind when an unusually familiar fox walked out of the darkness. He was wearing a doctors coat, stethoscope around his neck and carrying an old fashioned medical bag. “I hear zomeone needz a tierarzt… excuse me, a veterinarian?” he said in a thick, fake, German accent.

King just stared at the Great Kitsune, astonished that he thought anyone would buy this, but he underestimated desperation. Ralph stepped aside and allowed him to check Fox over. Kitsune made a good show of looking over the husky, used what King was sure was a toy syringe to pretend to inject something, then placed a paw gently on his forehead and fully put him to sleep. “Don’t worry, Spring and Summer are waiting to help you rest.” then smiled and looked up. “Zorry, old German zaying. Hez going to be fine,” he said with a grin, “I think just a little shock is all. I would still advize a night of observation at the animal hospital.” He nodded his head at King. “I’mz going to check on the klein herr over here.”

King was still trembling when Kitsune knelt by him. “Is Fox really OK?”

The fake animal doctor nodded slightly. “I fixed the bad stuff. He’ll be a little sore but should be right as rain in a couple of days.” He grinned mischievously, “I wasn’t kidding about Spring and Summer.”

A thought crossed his mind, “Did Fox really break those plastic cuffs on his legs?”

Kitsune looked innocently up at the sky, but King heard the sound of scissors coming from behind his back. “I won’t tell him if you don’t.”

Lt. Lindberg knelt down next to his dog and gently pet him on the head, “Is he going to be OK, doctor?” he asked. Once Kitsune nodded, he turned his attention to Miles. “Thank you.”

Miles nodded in acknowledgment, “Happy to be of service, officer, sir,” he said with a smile.

Lindberg kept looking at Fox, who was now resting comfortably, a mysterious smile on his face, “What about Johnson? Did you…?” Lindberg looked up at the cabin, now fully engulfed in flames.

Miles shook his head. “No, he wasn’t there. Maybe he heard us coming and took off?

Lindberg glanced at King. “Did you see what happened?”

King shook his head, “No, the place went dark for a second, I got tossed across the room, and when the fire flared up he was gone. The wolves came in after that.”

Lindberg stood up and looked at the K9’s. “He can’t have gotten far! Let’s start a search, now!”

Orwell coughed a couple of times. His mouth tasted like soot and his arm hurt. What had happened? One second there was a flash of light, then he was almost flying through the woods before he ended up… where was he now?

“You’re awake. That’s good.”

He looked around frantically but couldn’t tell where the voice was coming from. He did now realize that he was deeper into the forest, and he felt strange. “What happened?”

The voice stepped into the moonlight, and Orwell was surprised how well he could make out the shape of a mountain lion in the dark. She was huge, easily the biggest one he’d ever seen or heard of and had a scar across her face. “You threatened my cub. That’s what happened.”

Orwell at first had to think of what she was talking about, then remembered, “That one at the park? I never touched him!” he said. He suddenly ran his tongue along his teeth. “What happened?” he muttered, then he brightened. “It worked!” he said happily as he realized that he wasn’t human anymore.

Gale shook her head, “I heard some of your ramblings, but I think you may not have done what you intended. There were humans with the police that were looking for you. I think you only managed to change yourself.”

He shook his head, “No, that’s not right! The scepter told me…”

Gale laughed, “Maybe you should have listened to King. I didn’t hear it all, but I think he tried to warn you.” She shrugged, “Frankly, that works out better for me.”

Orwell felt scared for the first time. “What… what are you going to do to me?” he asked.

Gale stood and started to circle him. “I understand that you believe that all animals should be feral. You know, I’ve only lived among the humans for a relatively short time, and I won’t say I understand or agree with all their ways, but there are some I’ve come to appreciate.”

“But animals should be noble and free…” he started to preach.

She turned on him, her eyes flashing in anger. “Six months ago, my cub had a bad cough. I was more scared than I have ever been in my life. Pueblo is my world, everything I do I do for him.” She looked Orwell up and down, “I took him to a vet, and she gave me some medicine for him. She wasn’t worried in the least. In a couple of days, the danger passed.” She brought her nose right up to his, “You’d have allowed him to die out here.”

Orwell wanted to do nothing more than run, “What are you going to do to me?” he repeated, a bit more desperate this time.

She loomed over Orwell. “You know the worst part about being a predator? You must kill to survive. I’m good at it, I never let my prey suffer more than needed. But there were always times that I didn’t get one on the first try.” She closed her eyes, “I will be happy to never hear a rabbit scream again.” She looked again at her new prey, “You know the last creature I found in the wild was a old, tired raccoon. He’d fallen out of a tree and broken his ankle. When he saw me, he was grateful. He been laying in pain for hours and just wanted it to end.”

She moved to whisper in his now furry ear, “I’m going to let you live. If you can.”

Miles away, Fido and Ralph stopped their search for Orwell and looked up. “What was that?” asked Fido.

Ralph though for a second, “Sounds like a raccoon crying out in pain,” he replied.

“Should we check it out?” Fido asked, concerned.

Ralph sighed, “Hard to tell where that came from. Poor thing probably got caught by a mountain lion or something.”

Gale returned to the area around the ranger station, again making more noise than she needed. This time, Joshua was sitting up on a tree branch waiting for her. “I see you’re learning,” she said happily.

Joshua jumped down, “I see you’re leaving. Did you find what you needed.” His nose wrinkled, “You smell like a forest fire.”

“I did, but I have one more favor to ask,” she said. “It’s a tough one.”

He cocked his head curiously, “What’s that?”

“There is a raccoon up near the old elk run. He’s got a broken leg.”

Joshua smiled, “You’re asking me out to breakfast?” he said, almost drooling.

Gale sighed and shook her head, “Normally, yes. But I want you to leave him alone. I don’t want him taken, or others to help him.” She paused and considered, “For at least a week. Then, if he’s still alive, dump him at the ranger station.”

Joshua looked concerned. “That’s not like you, Gale. You were never one to let prey suffer. A week with a broken leg? That might kill him on its own.” He scrunched up his nose, “The meat will be bad by then, too.”

She just stared into his eyes, “He threatened Pueblo.”

“I thought that was a human?” he asked quizzically.

Gale considered her answer carefully. “He was… involved.”

Joshua considered that. “Can I make it two?

She playfully hit him on the shoulder, “One, and I’ll be up here after that for our deal.”

Lucretia was just as alert, sitting on the bed with her five charges, than she had been when she sat down. She would not sleep until she was sure things were safe.

There was a gentle scratching at the closet door. She tensed, hackles rising, but carefully walked over to it. Inside was Kitsune. “They are alive and safe,” he whispered to her.

Lucretia felt herself tear up. She had been putting on a strong front, mostly for Bailey, but she’d been worried sick. “That’s wonderful! Where are they?”

“They are on the way to the hospital. Why don’t you wake Bailey up and go over there. I’m sure she’ll want to be there when they get there.”

“Why don’t you tell her?” she asked.

He looked at the sleeping Husky. “I want to give her time. She wasn’t wrong, this was my fault. But everything is fine, now.”

The vet on duty at the emergency animal hospital checked them both over, but was only really concerned that Fox was still out cold. “There was a German fox vet up at the scene,” Lindberg explained. “He gave him something for the pain.”

The doctors and nurses didn’t have any idea what he was talking about, but Bill didn’t really care. As long as Fox was going to be OK.

Bailey burst through the doors only a few minutes later carrying all three puppies. She hugged her husband so hard that he was sure she was going to break a couple of his ribs, but he said nothing. He had been so afraid he’d never see her in this life again.

She nuzzled him and licked his face over and over before she stopped, “Sorry,” she said through tears, “I forgot you don’t like that,”

He looked at her, smiled, then started licking her face.

The hustle around the hospital finally quieted. The nurse wheeled them both into a room and allowed them to rest. Bailey fell asleep in his arms, each of the pups pressed tightly around them. King had never felt so hot in his life, but he didn’t want to move.

Bill stayed a while himself, but eventually decided to head back to the remains of the cabin to aid in the search. “He saved me, Bill,” King told him before he left. “If not for him, I think I’d be dead.” Bill just nodded, hiding that he was tearing up himself. He gently hugged his sleeping dog, then headed out after making King promise to call the moment Fox woke.

The first light of dawn was just peeking through the blinds when King noted a doctor coming into the room. He did a double take when he saw it was Kitsune again, still dressed in a lab coat. “Am I going to live, Herr Doctor?” asked King.

The fox grinned and sat on the end of the bed, gently patting Rook, “Only for a few decades or so. As long as you don’t step in front of a bus.”

King glanced over at Fox, “Thanks for helping him,” he said finally. It was hard to thank Kitsune for anything.

“Don’t mention it, please,” he said, “I still might need to answer for that. But it was sorta my fault that this happened.”

King swung his gaze over, “What?”

“I should have looked for something like this. That scepter that Orwell had? It was a device for Pete to cheat the game,” he stopped, “Well, more like an ace in the hole if he lost.” He opened his bag and pulled the scepter out, now covered in soot. “Found a few other goodies in that cabin, but this was our culprit. I didn’t think Pete would stoop this low.”

“What is it?”

Kitsune mused, “It’s a bit hard to explain, but think of it as a combination of a hard-drive back up and a black box.” He tapped it, “Pete was using this to store his memories in case he lost. The idea was that once he held it, he’d be able to regain his power. But the object has a little sentience of its own, and after so much time it was getting desperate. That’s why it started communicating with Johnson after he found it.” Kitsune shoved it back into the bag. “What he didn’t anticipate was just how much he forgot when he incarnated.” Kitsune let out a quick laugh, “Or that his temple would collapse.”

“Where is he, anyway?” asked King.

Kitsune clucked his tongue, “That would be telling.”

“So, would Orwell have managed to change the world like he thought?”

Kitsune laughed, “Not with this thing, no. It lied to him, let him believe that. It was angry at you because that was one of the last things it recorded. It was actually going to become a beacon for Pete to find it.” He hefted his bag. “But back to Heaven with it. I plan on speaking with Pete about his when he crosses over in a few decades.”

King laid back, then looked at Kitsune again, “What happened to Orwell?” He tried to remember what happened in those few seconds before he vanished, but everything was so confusing. “I thought for a second sure that this was working, that it wasn’t Orwell anymore.”

Kitsune grinned even wider, “Oh, that was me. I just gave him a bit of what he wanted. Don’t worry about Orwell. I don’t think he’ll bother you again.” He paused, “But if you find a raccoon with a bad limp around the neighborhood, call Gale. She’ll know what to do.”

King pondered that, “So how much trouble are you in?”

Kitsune shrugged, but his grin didn’t falter “Nothing I can’t handle. I’m a trickster, it’s expected.” He leaned in and whispered in Kings ear, “But if you don’t see me for a while and your lovely wife gets pregnant again, name one after me, will ya?”

With that, Kitsune faded away.

King stared at the empty space where he had been. “Oh, that’s terrifying,” he said flatly.
Nathan Kerbonaut

Bravo!! This is a thrilling and wholesome conclusion to an outstanding story. You're a talented writer and I'd love to see more from you some day! (No pressure, of course :D)
CunningFox

Post by CunningFox »

That was a great read. The only downside was it was over so quickly.
dr_eirik

Post by dr_eirik »

CunningFox wrote:That was a great read. The only downside was it was over so quickly.

Part of me wanted it to go longer, and I did have a couple areas where I thought about it, but in the end I didn't want to pad it out too much. If I ever get an idea, I could always try to go further with it, but that's only if I allow Orwell to survive. 8-)

I'll admit that I've got a couple other story ideas in my head, but nothing that I feel compelled to write. I'm sorta waiting to see what's happening with Marion. I would love to explore some aspect of his character, but frankly we don't even know if he's going to be a squirrel for a day or the rest of his life just yet.
trekkie

Post by trekkie »

Note to self, never mess with Pueblo. Orwell’s fate was quite fitting. Well done!
“Freedom has cost too much blood and agony to be relinquished at the cheap price of rhetoric.” - Thomas Sowell

“The only time I ever enjoyed ironing was the day I accidentally got gin in the steam iron.” Phyllis Diller
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Would be happy to read another one, dr.!
Obbl
Smiley McSmiles

Post by Obbl »

dr_eirik wrote:“Oh, that’s terrifying”
:shock: Couldn't agree with you more, King. Where's that mind bleach? :lol:
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

Kinda figured that Orwell would suffer some fate related to transformation. I was just unsure if we'd get a repeat of Karl Lenin Faust or not. And that's quite the "Shut up, Hannibal!" speech from Gale. A nice romp, to be sure.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I really am very dazzled at how good you have written this story sir! It is definitely very impressive and the ending is incredibly satisfying! Nice job all around!
dr_eirik

Post by dr_eirik »

D-Rock wrote:Kinda figured that Orwell would suffer some fate related to transformation. I was just unsure if we'd get a repeat of Karl Lenin Faust or not. And that's quite the "Shut up, Hannibal!" speech from Gale. A nice romp, to be sure.
Yeah, like the scorpion said, "Its my nature" I attempt to write a story, a transformation pops up. I really felt I had to do that if I wanted Orwell to meet a bad end. I couldn't figure out how to harm him without the rather big plot hole of Gale managing to stay out of trouble. Hardly the hardest problem to solve, but I had Kitsune around... 8-)

In the end, I think my two favorite parts to write were Gale talking to Orwell, and the final lines between Kitsune and King. And maybe generally the idea that Spring and Summer are visiting Fox. ;)
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Well since Orwell is now stranded out on his own, he really is getting everything he deserves and I don't think he will live long. :twisted:
dr_eirik

Post by dr_eirik »

Amazee Dayzee wrote:Well since Orwell is now stranded out on his own, he really is getting everything he deserves and I don't think he will live long. :twisted:
I thought about writing a post-script that shows more of his fate, but first my idea was a touch grisly and I think leaving exactly what happened to him to the imagination is more satisfying.

Besides, I may someday get an idea that can only be accomplished using a raccoon with a limp. ;)
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

Well if it's up to us I'm picturing him finding out the hard way that the scepter overloading granted him a sort of partial immortality. He can't die, but is no more durable than a mortal, discovered thanks to an ATV tire to the abdomen. :twisted:
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Obbl wrote:
dr_eirik wrote:“Oh, that’s terrifying”
:shock: Couldn't agree with you more, King. Where's that mind bleach? :lol:

Brain bleach … that's got to be a product!
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Why would it be when it is much more easier to take a cheese grater to your face? :mrgreen:
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Amazee Dayzee wrote:Why would it be when it is much more easier to take a cheese grater to your face? :mrgreen:
Why is that not recommended by more dermatologists? Or any dermatologists?
dr_eirik

Post by dr_eirik »

NHWestoN wrote:
Amazee Dayzee wrote:Why would it be when it is much more easier to take a cheese grater to your face? :mrgreen:
Why is that not recommended by more dermatologists? Or any dermatologists?
Because they want to keep their licence?
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Meanwhile a psychologist can get away with it because they talk to crazy people all the time. LOL

That is a joke.
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

Buster wrote:Well if it's up to us I'm picturing him finding out the hard way that the scepter overloading granted him a sort of partial immortality. He can't die, but is no more durable than a mortal, discovered thanks to an ATV tire to the abdomen. :twisted:
Wouldn't that be quite the cruelty?

So, any chance of seeing Joshua again in future works?
dr_eirik

Post by dr_eirik »

D-Rock wrote:
Buster wrote:Well if it's up to us I'm picturing him finding out the hard way that the scepter overloading granted him a sort of partial immortality. He can't die, but is no more durable than a mortal, discovered thanks to an ATV tire to the abdomen. :twisted:
Wouldn't that be quite the cruelty?

So, any chance of seeing Joshua again in future works?
There is always a chance, but I would need a good idea. I've pondered a couple thoughts, including a possible way forward with Orwell. I kind of want to wait for a bit more of Marion's story to be told to see if its something I should reference or incorporate.

I suppose I could go in a different, lighter direction with him. I rather liked him, too.
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

Amazee Dayzee wrote:That is a joke.
Whatever you say EDI...