Ask A Moderator

What are we doing!?
VEB152
Location: Land of vowels with dashes and consonants with commas

Re: Ask A Moderator

Post by VEB152 »

copper wrote:I would ask what your second account is and wonder why you would have it in the first place, since you could only vote for one per account. :twisted:
I guess he voted for both of you by not voting at all!

Rust joke? So THAT is why election was called...
Yes, that is about the best thing to write that I could think of.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

I voted for one of them but I will say that I think they're both capable. If I didn't I'd have taken it up with Rick (no joke).
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
RatHead

Post by RatHead »

copper wrote:Also, I voted for Copper just so I could make a rust joke. Only reason really.
I don't know, your reasoning seems a bit rusty!

HP! Messenger
Limp-in around eatin a dirty rubber Bizkit
aBritishfox

Post by aBritishfox »

VEB152 wrote:
copper wrote:I would ask what your second account is and wonder why you would have it in the first place, since you could only vote for one per account. :twisted:

Bingo, simple logic eh? "If you want to vote for both, don't vote at all."
Did you know my friends call me "The Great Pontificator"! Or was it "The Great Time Waster"?

twitter: https://twitter.com/aBritishfox

Sometimes, being a Sentient Inflatable means air is the only answer for true happiness
copper
Puppy Wrangler

Post by copper »

aBritishfox wrote:
VEB152 wrote:

Bingo, simple logic eh? "If you want to vote for both, don't vote at all."

That is more showing support for both of us rather than voting for both of us. Still, the sentiment is appreciated.
My characters
Everybody has a story to tell. What's yours?
Hlaoroo
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!

Post by Hlaoroo »

I'm just wondering, where exactly is the line regarding alcohol usage/references on these forums? It's not explicitly stated in the rules unless you count alcohol as a drug.
I ask because I'm seeing some discrepancies. For example, Rick has shown pets drunk from soda several times in the comic, and despite that being from soda, you're living under a rock if you don't see the obvious metaphor. In some of the RPs, I'm seeing pets and humans drinking rum or wine with no complaints; however Esper has just asked me to change a post in the Redwall RP which mentions October Ale (which is mentioned time and again in the Redwall books with no character ever shown to be drunk). I have, of course, cooperated with Esper and changed the post but I'd just like some clarification as to exactly what is and isn't allowed with regards to alcohol usage and references.
Frostwood Forever! <3

My RP Characters

Avatar drawn by the amazing ScruffKerfluff!

copper
Puppy Wrangler

Post by copper »

The general rule involving drugs and/or alcohol is that it follows real world scenarios. Mature and/or equivalent age adults may imbibe in Orange Soda and alcohol. Any drugs, hard drugs etc. are not okay to talk about on the forums though. As for your character, I'd have to know about the situation a bit more.

Housepets! is a family-friendly comic. Please do not post material that would be inappropriate for children. As an example, pregnancy is fine, but I flunked middle school is not. Likewise, graphic violence, politics, religion, drug use, illegal activity, profanity, and other potentially controversial topics are not allowed.

Says in the first rule about that.
My characters
Hlaoroo
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!

Post by Hlaoroo »

I'm well aware that drugs and drug references are not allowed and none of my characters have anything to do with that whatsoever. I was just not sure if alcohol falls under that category or not.

As to my character, she's mature under Australian law but I suppose not under American law. I hadn't thought of that...
Basically what happened in this case was that she said that the cellarhog (hedgehog in charge of the cellars and brewing all manner of drinks, both alcoholic and otherwise) had invited her to try a new drink he's invented to see what she thought and that she invited the characters (who are all mature) to accompany her and try it too. She also mentioned jokingly that the ale might make them dance better since they were complaining about their dancing ability.

I was really just asking for a rule of thumb about alcohol usage though rather than for guidance in this specific case.
Frostwood Forever! <3

My RP Characters

copper
Puppy Wrangler

Post by copper »

Hlaoroo wrote:I'm well aware that drugs and drug references are not allowed and none of my characters have anything to do with that whatsoever. I was just not sure if alcohol falls under that category or not.

As to my character, she's mature under Australian law but I suppose not under American law. I hadn't thought of that...
Basically what happened in this case was that she said that the cellarhog (hedgehog in charge of the cellars and brewing all manner of drinks, both alcoholic and otherwise) had invited her to try a new drink he's invented to see what she thought and that she invited the characters (who are all mature) to accompany her and try it too. She also mentioned jokingly that the ale might make them dance better since they were complaining about their dancing ability.

I was really just asking for a rule of thumb about alcohol usage though rather than for guidance in this specific case.

Ah. Well, as I said, general rule is as stated above. Mature and/or equivalent age adults may imbibe in Orange Soda and alcohol. Beyond that, I would say no, though there may be an exception I am not thinking of at the moment, heh.
My characters
Hlaoroo
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!

Post by Hlaoroo »

Adults only. Sounds good. Thanks, VerdigrisCopper. :)
Frostwood Forever! <3

My RP Characters

RatHead

Post by RatHead »

A little backstory before I ask my question: I'm waiting to submit a game (which I have all put together) until the right time (when enough forumites are browsing, and known forum gamers are on, so it has the best chance of catching on).
I cooperated with two specific mods over the PM system while putting this game together so that it would look and perform well, and side perfectly with all the rules.

I have seen the moderator tag just below the title of every topic, and assumed that those were the mods assigned to that topic.
What my question is, is can I, for my game, ask for specific mods to preside over my game (the two mods I mentioned)? Because as I went back and forth with them for awhile & I think that they would best understand and be best suited for moderating this game.

Thank you guys :)

HP! Messenger
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

Post by RandomGeekNamedBrent »

moderators are assigned to entire sections or sub-sections. If this is going to be in forum games, Render will be watching over it. Then Jeff and I as Not The Comic mods will look into it if render feels we need to or if he becomes too busy to watch all the games, and then the globals are a level higher than that.
Paradigm Shift by me
I do not actually believe any of what I'm saying.
RP character sheets
RatHead

Post by RatHead »

Ahh, GOOD! cuz Render and You were the two I was talking about! Remember? I might SHOCK you if you don't!

HP! Messenger
Kateleo007

Post by Kateleo007 »

Has the forums changed or am I going crazy? If so, how long has it been different? Also, have any of the rules changed recently?

Jack the Eevee and Barb the Buizel

George "Geo" Walker......S-8 P-4 E-7 C-7 I-6 A-7 L-3
Thank you kurowolfe for the banner!

3DS Friend Code: 1006 0495 4065
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

the rules haven;t changed recently (that I know of) but there's now a link to the rules on every page within the forum sections.
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
copper
Puppy Wrangler

Post by copper »

There have also been a few small changes within the last year to the forums, such as two new publicly available forums and a forum for those who have donated to Rick's Patreon account (Which, if you enjoy HP! and his other works and have the disposable income, please do!) I believe our banner artist contest is also a new addition from this past year as well. From what point are we talking in terms of changes anyhow? Because we have a couple new moderators from the last couple years and Diss becoming an admin.
My characters
Hlaoroo
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!

Post by Hlaoroo »

One thing that's been bugging me lately is that the first post of the main OOC in the RP section is four years out of date and this is quite inconvenient for new players wanting to get involved as well as for more experienced players looking for other RPs to join or looking for information for new players. It's an issue that's been raised several times with no action taken. I know that our mods work hard and that they're all busy so I was wondering if I might be permitted to take this burden off their hands. Not being a mod myself, I can't actually edit the post (unless a global mod or admin chooses to make me the author of it) but I can write a new one and submit it to the mods to replace it or I could start a new main OOC thread as has been done in the past.
Changes I would make to it include:
- Adding in descriptions and links to RPs that have started since the thread's inception
- Updating descriptions for those threads already there and removing the descriptions for those threads that no longer exist or have died
- Creating a current list of the numbers of slots available in each RP and endeavouring to ensure that it stays current
- Creating a scale to rate the activity of the RPs to enable players to have an idea of the posting speed of the RPs and thus the commitment they would need to make to it. E.g. 0 = dead, 1= several posts per month or less, 3 = several posts per week, 5 = several posts per day.
- Creating a more concise and understandable list of the RP rules
- Creating a more concise and understandable how-to guide to RPing
This will, of course, require collaboration from the other GMs as well as the moderators but I feel that once completed it will improve and streamline the RP section for all players as well as saving us experienced players from having to answer the same questions every time a new player joins.
In the interest of creating and maintaining this post, I would create several new threads in the GM subforum to ensure a constant flow of information that can be used to keep the post up to date. These would include:
- A thread for GMs to post the availability of slots in their RPs perhaps three to four times annually and to alert us when a RP becomes full or when it becomes available again
- A thread for GMs to post updated descriptions of their RPs since RPs do change and for descriptions of new RPs to be uploaded
- A thread for GMs to update their activity rating should it change dramatically and appear to be staying changed
- A thread for GMs, mods and players (so this thread would be in the OOC section and not the GM section) to make other suggestions of anything that might be beneficial to have in the main OOC post or anything that needs to go or be changed

So, what do you guys think? Will you allow me to help out? If there's anything I've missed that you want on there or anything that you want changed in my plan then I'm happy to accommodate that too. I'm aware that this will take a bit of implementation but I think that once all the infrastructure (ie the new threads) is in place it should be quite easy to maintain and update.

EDIT: Having thought some more, I think it would be best to create a new Main OOC thread (and lock the old one) to reflect the changes in the RP section (e.g. shift from just PF to all kinds of RPs) as well as to enable the information which must be included in the post to be broken into manageable chunks instead of having one massive wall of text. I'd have three posts, one after the other in the new "Main RP OOC", one for a welcome and general RP rules, one for information on character creation and character rules and one for information on the various RPs themselves. I think this system will allow a good breakdown of information into manageable sizes as well as assisting people to find and link to the information that they need.
Frostwood Forever! <3

My RP Characters

Esper
20th Level Paladin

Post by Esper »

That all actually sounds like a good idea and I can't really pick out any real problems with it, but are you sure you want sole responsibility over it? In either case, this project is something I will support if it comes to fruition.
Hlaoroo
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!

Post by Hlaoroo »

Thanks for your support, Esper. :) I don't mind doing it - in fact I think I'd even enjoy it as a break from my studies. I think we need one person to sit down and get it done and run the show so that we're not forever waiting on each other or getting confused as to who's meant to be doing what. That said, as a GM I'm accountable to the players and as a forumite I'm accountable to the mods and I welcome input from each end so although I'd be the one bringing everything together, it'll be everyone's responsibility to make sure all the parts work. I can certainly run things by the mods before I actually make the thread too, if you guys want to do it that way.

If the mods are in agreement then I'll go ahead and make the aforementioned threads in the GM subforum and OOC forum and then when I have the GMs' and players' responses I'll go ahead and make the new OOC thread.
Frostwood Forever! <3

My RP Characters

RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

I think Raccoon was actually attempting an overhaul of the rules and neighborhood reporting before going inactive due to illness, so I'm fine with you doing it.

I'd suggest you make the new OOC in the GM forum first, we can move it after we've approved it. also be sure to link to our thread with the full RP rules somewhere around your concise list.

You have approval from the 2 currently available mods, so you can go ahead and get started.
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
Hlaoroo
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!

Post by Hlaoroo »

Will do. Thanks, Brent.
I'll follow my plan as detailed above but with your amendment of making the new OOC in the GM forum. It'll go up as soon as I have replies from the other GMs to give me the information I need.

One more question: two currently available mods? I thought Raccoon was back? Or is he gone again?
Frostwood Forever! <3

My RP Characters

Happiness Designer
Location: In the corner of your mind, where reality and dreams clash and create a fabulous universe.

Post by Happiness Designer »

Hlaoroo wrote:Will do. Thanks, Brent.
I'll follow my plan as detailed above but with your amendment of making the new OOC in the GM forum. It'll go up as soon as I have replies from the other GMs to give me the information I need.

One more question: two currently available mods? I thought Raccoon was back? Or is he gone again?
https://www.housepetscomic.com/forums/m ... =group&g=8

The moderator group shows that he still has the mod rank, but Raccoon last got on 2 weeks ago so you could consider him semi-inactive, I would say.
~ Colors are good. ~
Happiness is not something you postpone for the future; It is something you design for the present.
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

actually he was last on Friday, he just didn't post. I'm pretty sure he's still fulfilling his duties, he's just not really available for comment at the moment.
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
Hlaoroo
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!

Post by Hlaoroo »

I see. Well, no matter. 2 out of 3 is majority anyway. That's good enough for me. I've already made a start on the page and I'll keep you updated with progress.
Frostwood Forever! <3

My RP Characters

RatHead

Post by RatHead »

Hey guys, I finally started a game that I've mentioned here, and been waiting for months to start... but I think i put it in the wrong place as it is not in the Forum Games, can anyone move it for me? (and play?) here's the link
http://www.housepetscomic.com/forums/vi ... f=3&t=2913

Edit: (I think i fixed it now)

HP! Messenger
Hlaoroo
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!

Post by Hlaoroo »

Yep, it's in the right spot now, Rat.
Frostwood Forever! <3

My RP Characters

RatHead

Post by RatHead »

OK Thank you for the confirmation Roo :) *hugs the mod marsupial*

HP! Messenger
Prof

Post by Prof »

I'd like to add a link to my gallery on FurAffinity to my signature (yes, a little advertising, I like it when people look at my drawings. The more the merrier ^_^).

Although I consider my gallery perfectly SFW, you couldn't really say the same about FA itself. So would that be a problem? :?
Drop in and stroll around: My gallery

RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

plenty of people link to FA in their descriptions, and the site only displays SFW pieces by default, you need to actively choose to see anything else.

So go ahead and link your FA in your sig
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
kurowolfe

Post by kurowolfe »

Quick question! Is it okay to let AdBlock Plus be switched on while I peruse this forum? Had to install it because of popups from clicking random hyperlinks.

Applegate Appearance Cheat Sheet

Haq Dzi'ab (Blue Peaks Shore) || Mikan Kawabe (Applegate) || Hajime (Apollo City)
Hlaoroo
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!

Post by Hlaoroo »

As far as I'm aware, Adblock is perfectly legal so you're doing nothing wrong by having it on but Rick does make money from users clicking the ads on the forums so it's nice to support him that way so I think that officially we're supposed to discourage adblock usage.
Ultimately I guess it's up to you. You're not breaching any forum rules and we've no way to check if you're using it or not. It just depends on whether or not you choose to support Rick in that particular manner. ;)
Frostwood Forever! <3

My RP Characters

Render
Wanna play a game?

Post by Render »

Interesting thing is that I have disabled Adblock here and I don't have a single ad displayed in the forums. I can see only one ad on the comic page, so I don't feel flooded by ads at all.
ImageIf life gives you lemons, ask for salt and tequila.

Image Image
ImageImageImage
Hlaoroo
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!

Post by Hlaoroo »

I think there's normally just the one ad on the top of every page. If you're getting much more than that then you may well have adware, Kuro. You should run a virus scan with a good antivirus program.
Frostwood Forever! <3

My RP Characters

herobrineharry

Post by herobrineharry »

Ok. I have absolutely no idea how to add sig bars so can one of you out there please post a walkthrough of the process? Thanks!
Forward, the Light Brigade!'
Was there a man dismay'd?
Not tho'(though) the soldiers knew
  Some one had blunder'd:
Theirs not to make reply,
Theirs not to reason why,
Theirs but to do and die:
Into the valley of Death
  Rode the six hundred.
Hlaoroo
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!

Post by Hlaoroo »

Step one: Find the web address for the image/bar that you want to use. If it's on your computer then you'll need to upload it to a file/picture hosting site. To find the address of a bar that's already on-line, right click on the image/bar and select "view image". The address that appears in the address bar of you browser will be the address you need.
Step two: Copy that address
Step three: Open your User Control Panel, then go to Profile > Edit Signature. This brings up the dialogue box where you can edit your signature.
Step four: Paste the address into your signature in between [img] tags. The address should have http:// at the start and .jpg, .png or any other image file extension at the end.
Step five: Press submit and you're done.

If you're still having troubles after following those steps, then make sure that the image/bar isn't too long or tall. 60x500 pixels is probably the biggest you'd want. Also make sure that there aren't any spaces in or between the [img] tags. You should also make sure that the tags are on the same line or lines as the address.
Frostwood Forever! <3

My RP Characters

zdflion96

Post by zdflion96 »

Hello :D As you saw on the welcome thread, I'm new :D So, I want to ask you about this:

As another way of saying "Hi!" I made two Flash clocks (don't worry, the files don't contain viruses), so people here can use them as screensavers for their computers :D

But I saw in general the forum, and I don't know where to put the gifts :P

So, where can I post the Flash files? I saw when you post a message, you can attach a file :P

I hope you won't see my question as a silly one, but I want to learn how to do things right ;)

Bye-bye! :D
Hlaoroo
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!

Post by Hlaoroo »

The "Media Median" might be the best place, I reckon.
If it has a Housepets theme it could go in the fan projects section though.

There is a limit to the file size that you can attach to the post though. If they're too big then you might need to upload them elsewhere online (e.g. dropbox or cloud storage of some sort) and link to them on the forums. ;)

Since it's your own unique project, you're welcome to make your own thread for it. I don't think there's another screen-saver thread anyway...

It's not a silly question either. As a wise person once said, the only silly question is the one that wasn't asked. ;)
Frostwood Forever! <3

My RP Characters

zdflion96

Post by zdflion96 »

Thanks, you've helped me so well! =3 Well, the Flash files are ~1 MB (both), so I guess I'll share them via Dropbox :)

Thanks again ;)
Hlaoroo
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!

Post by Hlaoroo »

No worries. ;)
We're here to help.
Frostwood Forever! <3

My RP Characters

herobrineharry

Post by herobrineharry »

A-hem.

As no one responded when I first asked, I shall ask once more.
How do I put userbars into my sig?
Forward, the Light Brigade!'
Was there a man dismay'd?
Not tho'(though) the soldiers knew
  Some one had blunder'd:
Theirs not to make reply,
Theirs not to reason why,
Theirs but to do and die:
Into the valley of Death
  Rode the six hundred.