Writing a forum script - [Admin Response]

What are we doing!?
rollingWolf

Writing a forum script - [Admin Response]

Post by rollingWolf »

Hi

Im thinking of writing a script that alerts me via Growl (or similar) of new forum posts instead of having to manually refresh the page every now and then. And Im asking for permission to do this.

What this means for the forum:
You don't have to do anything. My script would poll https://www.housepetscomic.com/forums/s ... ive_topics every X minutes (probably as a cronjob it would stop the polling somewhere between 7:00pm -> 4:00am EST at which time its night in Sweden and I probably will be asleep) the rest of the magic happens on my server instead. Not much different than from what I manually do now when Im here.

It wouldn't require a login so Im offering anyone on the forum who's interested the opportunity to use it as well (other than submitting your Growl/Prowler details that is). It would actually lessen the load on the server if more people started using it since my server would offer cached results instead of this forum having to serve a bunch of database responses over and over again.

edit:
An other option but that would require a bit of configuration on the forum admins part would be enabling ATOM feeds in the admin panel>general>feed settings.
¡pɐǝɥ ɹnoʎ buıɥsnɹɔ ɯı ¡pɐǝɥ ɹnoʎ buıɥsnɹɔ ɯı
Foxstar
BIG BROTHER IS WATCHING YOU

Re: Writing a forum script

Post by Foxstar »

Needs to be run by higher ups first.
Dissension

Re: Writing a forum script

Post by Dissension »

ATOM feeds have been provisionally enabled, pending confirmation they're functioning without issue. They were disabled previously due to some concerns over outgoing e-mails, per Rick.

people are the only things that matter; take care of yourselves and each other
rollingWolf

Re: Writing a forum script - [Admin Response]

Post by rollingWolf »

After a quick check at the atom feed the first alternative is better for my need. And if there is concerns about emails (? For some reason apparently) with the atom feed, the first alternative is safer too since it doesnt have any access whatsoever other than what all non-member guests see.

edit:
Looking deeper into the feeds it would actually work.
¡pɐǝɥ ɹnoʎ buıɥsnɹɔ ɯı ¡pɐǝɥ ɹnoʎ buıɥsnɹɔ ɯı