Technical support required: translations subforum

What are we doing!?
valerio

Technical support required: translations subforum

Post by valerio »

Hello!
As you know, I have been translating the comic since strip #1. At first, I used to attach the translation, then after a couple of times Rick had to generously allow me more room because I'd end up eating up all the space -not to mention the massive amount of text required for my ficcie.
Thus I started using first Imageshack and then Postimage so to have another space where to store my images, but both providers are randomly deleting my submissions, thus creating havoc in the 'Italian Translations' thread.
Now, rather than seeking for yet ANOTHER unreliable provider such as the two afore mentioned, could someone PLEASE tell me who I could turn to so that, the next time I update the thread with a third turn of reposting, it will be for GOOD?
Thank you very much for any help/suggestion you could provide.
kurowolfe

Re: Technical support required: translations subforum

Post by kurowolfe »

I'm no tech support, but I can relate to the problem myself.

Best thing I can think of is using the forum's own uploader for the comic strips. But then again, it is limited to about 300KB I think, so you really need to reduce the size of the file by converting everything to JPEG or TIFF (the horror! DX).

About Imageshack though, I myself have been notified that I need to pay up monthly subscription fees to continue uploading or even keeping the images in there. I would rather not lose anything there, so I paid up (feels like I'm being extorted or something). But keeping everything in private in the settings should help preserve the images from public eyes, and possibly take downs. It also helps to keep uploading actively, but I'm sure you're doing that now.

We need Obbl here! I summon thee, o mod of the blue name~ *shot*

Applegate Appearance Cheat Sheet

Haq Dzi'ab (Blue Peaks Shore) || Mikan Kawabe (Applegate) || Hajime (Apollo City)
JeffCvt

Post by JeffCvt »

Valerio, you may want to look into using the cloud.

My personal suggestion would be using a Google+ account and save the comic strips under your images. Google gives you unlimited storage for small pictures, and you start out with 15GB of free space for anything that's not small. I'm not sure the size limit for when it goes from free to taking up space, but if you end up needing more than 15GB, you can purchase 100GB more storage for $3 (United States currency) a month. And if you ever stop paying that, anything you had in the 100GB is not removed, you just simply can't do anything with it. So they shouldn't go away if you post them on the forums no matter what. :D

It might take a second of messing around to figure it all out, but that's the best option I can think of.
Jeff "Clavy" Civit
kurowolfe

Post by kurowolfe »

Oh, I never knew that! I might want to---oh, Google+ account. *sigh* I still haven't forgiven Google for ruining Youtube for me. Meh, once I'm over it I might want to look into it.

Is having a GMail account good enough though? I wanna start looking for another hosting site too D:

Applegate Appearance Cheat Sheet

Haq Dzi'ab (Blue Peaks Shore) || Mikan Kawabe (Applegate) || Hajime (Apollo City)
valerio

Post by valerio »

JeffCvt wrote:Valerio, you may want to look into using the cloud.

My personal suggestion would be using a Google+ account and save the comic strips under your images. Google gives you unlimited storage for small pictures, and you start out with 15GB of free space for anything that's not small. I'm not sure the size limit for when it goes from free to taking up space, but if you end up needing more than 15GB, you can purchase 100GB more storage for $3 (United States currency) a month. And if you ever stop paying that, anything you had in the 100GB is not removed, you just simply can't do anything with it. So they shouldn't go away if you post them on the forums no matter what. :D

It might take a second of messing around to figure it all out, but that's the best option I can think of.
thank you VERY much. Now I know how I will use my weekend.
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

Post by RandomGeekNamedBrent »

I was actually going to suggest uploading the translations to a Tumblr, but Google+ works too
Paradigm Shift by me
I do not actually believe any of what I'm saying.
RP character sheets
Pecan
Game Master

Post by Pecan »

Would an actual comic site work? Like Comic Genesis, or something?
Paige Turner - The Stargazing Polyglot! - S4 P7 E6 C4 I10 A4 L7 (SP)
Will Turner - The Timid Survivor! - S5 P4 E8 C3 I6 A10 L6 (SP)
Timothy Cotton - The Overenthusiastic Soccer Star S6 P4 E8 C5 I5 A9 L5 (Zoo)
Foxstar
BIG BROTHER IS WATCHING YOU

Post by Foxstar »

I'll leave this open for now, but i'm curious too.
ds-al-coda

Post by ds-al-coda »

Personally, I use Imgur over everything. FAQ says that pictures don't get deleted as long as they have at least 15 views in 6 months - and posting them on the forums is more than enough views.

Additionally, I don't have to worry about randoms seeing the pictures because they can't without a link.
translation thread here
tumblr here

i've been away for too long, expect something soon.