Forum Connectivity/Operating Issues

What are we doing!?
Hlaoroo
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!

Forum Connectivity/Operating Issues

Post by Hlaoroo »

This thread is the place for reporting issues with connecting to the forums and with normal forum operation. If you're struggling to connect, getting disconnected, or if things are just running slowly and you're sure it's not your connection at fault then let us know here. The more detail you can give about the issue the better, because the more we know, the faster we can solve issues.

This is not the place for feedback on staff, user interfaces, or to suggest extra features for the forums. All such suggestions will be moved to the appropriate threads.

If you are having issues, we apologise in advance for any inconvenience caused and we ask your patience as we investigate the cause of the problems.
Frostwood Forever! <3

My RP Characters

Avatar drawn by the amazing ScruffKerfluff!

Lintharix

Re: Forum Connectivity/Operating Issues

Post by Lintharix »

Sometimes I need to click a link two or three times for it to load.
A doctor would tell me to cheer up, since I'm a bit depressive. ¿What do I think? I don't need that #&@%, I have been under heavy stress for 5 years, I'M SUPPOSED TO REACT LIKE THIS.
Foxstar
BIG BROTHER IS WATCHING YOU

Post by Foxstar »

I've noticed long loading times.
Liam

Post by Liam »

A few weeks ago intermittent connection errors started appearing. First I blamed my connection for acting up after it went away, but the loading problems make me think otherwise.

I remembered you said your shared servers with Weasyl, right? FA has to fight with DDoSes, and from what I gather over the last months many big furry sites experienced systematic attacks. Could this be a side-effect of a slowburning attack on the servers?
"It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends upon his not understanding it." - Upton Sinclair
Wanderer wrote:You don't need a job, you need money.
Obbl
Smiley McSmiles

Post by Obbl »

Or possibly a side effect of any counter measures to such attacks?

I too get many many sporadic minute or more load times for any given page. (Sporadic - an IT guy's most favoritest word ever :roll: )
Firefox 34.0.5, Windows 7 64-bit

(I'll try a couple other things and update here.)
Hukley
Banner Artist

Post by Hukley »

Yeah, since a few weeks the forum is remarkbale slower for me.

It takes a very long time to open a thread... sometimes it doesn't even work and I have to try it several times. (The same thing with posts)

The page also keeps logging me out.
Awesome Avatar-Animation by GeckoZY! :D
Simon & Freddy has its own Webpage now: http://www.simonandfreddy.com/
My webcomic: (Updates on Saturdays)
ImageImage
Douglas Collier

Post by Douglas Collier »

Yeah, I get the logout problem as well. Might it be because I'm signed in on multiple devices?
Douglas isn't my real name, but because of a name block put on me by a higher-order being known as Djinni, I can't say my real name.
Obbl
Smiley McSmiles

Post by Obbl »

Ok, so the occurrences are sporadic, but the load times seem to be pretty consistent. Is there a 60 second timeout/sleep somewhere that's being triggered? Cause I just got 3 instances of 63 second load times, and as a Computer major I don't believe in coincidences anymore. I also got one instance of 123 seconds, so I thought that one might have hit the timeout twice. (I got something else as well, but the load ended in a 500 error, so that one was probably aborted).
When changing methods of access (either OS or browser) it seems to not happen for a while, then it very quickly becomes a thing with some frequency. I've tried it with Firefox on Linux Mint a few weeks ago and initially thought it just wasn't a problem on Linux, but after a while it started happening again. And I just changed to Opera for a test on my Windows 7 and it took about 7 or so page views before I could get it to happen.
Hope this is somewhat helpful.
Cesco

Post by Cesco »

So it's certainly an issue of server here, maybe with the forum database server, because browsing the comic website this doesn't happen (looks like all its pages aren't connected to a database). It's happening since some months now. Precisely, what happens is that sometimes some random sections of the forum, and so including all the topics in them, take too much time to load than others, that instead load properly. To give an idea, at the same time I can't go to the forum index taking too much time to load while I can suddenly go to The Comic section and look at the topics in it. After some time, this issue changes with other sections...
Looks like is something normal to get logged out if you don't do any activity on the forum for a certain amount of time. Is this set somewhere from the administration configuration?
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

A few times I get an Internal Server Error, but I'm not sure what number it is (I think its 500, but I can't recall) but it goes away if I refresh the page.
Liam

Post by Liam »

Douglas Collier wrote:Yeah, I get the logout problem as well. Might it be because I'm signed in on multiple devices?
Same here, but I only use a single device.
"It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends upon his not understanding it." - Upton Sinclair
Wanderer wrote:You don't need a job, you need money.
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

Post by RandomGeekNamedBrent »

for the record, the forums go slow for me too recently. I often need to stop the page loading and click a link a second time to get it working.
Paradigm Shift by me
I do not actually believe any of what I'm saying.
RP character sheets
hypernovatic

Post by hypernovatic »

It's slow for me when I'm on a computer, but when I use the internet on my 2DS it works fine.
My RP characters
FEAR THE HALLOWEEN BAT
Aarden

Post by Aarden »

Been going very slow for me for quite a while now. Has deterred me from posting on days a number of times, can't wait forever for a page to load! :P
Megamaster

Post by Megamaster »

I haven't been posting or coming here cause it's slow. :/
Games I'm currently playing:The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel 2 (PS3) Danganronpa V3 (PS4) Azure Striker Gunvolt (3DS) Pokemon Silver (GB/3DS)
kurowolfe

Post by kurowolfe »

It has been slow me for quite some time now. What I do now is open a new tab everytime I change pages, and closing the old tab. Doesn't work all the time, but at least it's better than having to wait for 2 minutes minimum to open a thread =w=

Applegate Appearance Cheat Sheet

Haq Dzi'ab (Blue Peaks Shore) || Mikan Kawabe (Applegate) || Hajime (Apollo City)
Render
Wanna play a game?

Re:

Post by Render »

I'm using my phone since a few days (wifi connection to a regular line) and have absolutely no delays... But they have been terrible when I used my PC. Will see, how it'll be when I'm back home.
ImageIf life gives you lemons, ask for salt and tequila.

Image Image
ImageImageImage
Dissension

Post by Dissension »

The boards have been nearly unusable for me. Regardless of browser or hardware, I can't get a page to load without at least one failed attempt.

people are the only things that matter; take care of yourselves and each other
rickgriffin
Site Admin

Post by rickgriffin »

I've noticed this thing too. The server guy did a sever reboot which seems to have cleared out SOME of the issue but there's still a problem with page loading. So there might be an error somewhere that's causing connectivity failure that keeps compounding itself. Might take a while to look into.
I'm sure the cold hand of science will be able to overcome his magical powers
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Take your time. We know that you are very busy.
Aarden

Post by Aarden »

Forums have been running fine for me for a week or two now on a laptop, might be a tiny delay at times but that is likely just my internet anyways.
SergeiTheFox

Post by SergeiTheFox »

It has been running fine on my laptop, but it is still pretty slow on a desktop and nearly unusable on my iPod.
oh hey look more text

now it looks pretty

and slanted uwu

I check this profile like once a year or so, so if you need to reach me I'm on telegram @awootimestwo
JeffCvt

Post by JeffCvt »

What OS do you use for you laptop and desktop? I haven't had any trouble on my laptop personally, but I run Ubuntu instead of Windows. We're not sure if that could be why.
Jeff "Clavy" Civit
SergeiTheFox

Post by SergeiTheFox »

My laptop uses OS X 10.9.4, the desktop uses Windows 7 I think, and I think my iPod uses iOS 4.
oh hey look more text

now it looks pretty

and slanted uwu

I check this profile like once a year or so, so if you need to reach me I'm on telegram @awootimestwo
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Very recently, the forum has been getting slower for me and I have to press enter multiple times to get a page to load. Today was the first time.
The Blue Fox

Post by The Blue Fox »

Hukley wrote:Yeah, since a few weeks the forum is remarkably slow for me.

It takes a very long time to open a thread... sometimes it doesn't even work and I have to try it several times. (The same thing with posts)

The page also keeps logging me out.
These are pretty much the issues I've been having as well of late.

I actually came on to the feedback forum to report the problem and discovered this thread. Seems I'm not the only one having issues.

Hope you guys can figure out what's up with it. It's kind of annoying.

I got Firefox version 35.0.1 and currently the laptop I'm on has Windows Vista if that helps.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I hope that the issue is fixed soon. This only just started for me with the forum being slow.
GeckoZY
Location: 16 Dimensions, 13th Hyperplane No. 47.54,3674.06,6378.13; Randomly travelling in between Hyperplanes

Post by GeckoZY »

I've been having the same issues for about a month now, it seems like the comic side of the site is fine, but whenever I tried getting into the forums, it either goes to an error 400 or error 403.
Want to split a pineapple?
Collaborative Fan-Fiction:
El Psy Congroo
The Blue Fox

Post by The Blue Fox »

Hmmm. Seems to be clearing up for me now. Everything's loading fine on this visit.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Still a bit touchy for me.
The Blue Fox

Post by The Blue Fox »

The Blue Fox wrote:Hmmm. Seems to be clearing up for me now. Everything's loading fine on this visit.
Seems that visit was an exception to the rule coz the issues came right back for me.
Douglas Collier

I still get the logout issue a lot. I also occasionally get a weird bug where icons and buttons swap pictures (people's avatars being smiley faces, buttons being avatars, etc.)
Douglas isn't my real name, but because of a name block put on me by a higher-order being known as Djinni, I can't say my real name.
Render
Wanna play a game?

Post by Render »

Douglas Collier wrote:I still get the logout issue a lot. I also occasionally get a weird bug where icons and buttons swap pictures (people's avatars being smiley faces, buttons being avatars, etc.)
:shock: THAT's odd... :lol: Make a screenshot, please.

Image Image
ImageImageImage
Douglas Collier

I will the next time it happens.
Render
Wanna play a game?

Post by Render »

The forum likes it more and more to log me out without any reason. Sometimes even between logging in and the automatic loading of the index page...

Image Image
ImageImageImage
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

That hasn't happened with me yet, but I'm sure its coming.
Dahan

Post by Dahan »

Got a "500 Internal Server Error" when trying to access this page (URL is from the RSS feed), on February 22, about 1:36 AM Central Time. I clicked the Reload button and it worked.
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

this forum is oddly slow for me.

I'm using Opera 27.0, which does a few things in odd ways but that shouldn't make this big a difference.
Most important thing I've learned from D&D?
No matter how tempting it may be, as a DM I can't both present a problem and solve it.
Every time a DMPC or NPC fixes something a payer couldn't i'm diminishing and undermining that player's contribution.
Obbl
Smiley McSmiles

Post by Obbl »

500 errors have occurred sporadically at least since I joined back in 2010. It's never any particular page, and I have always wondered what actually is causing that error.
Douglas Collier

Something weird's going on - the post counter has stopped working in the forum games section. It counts them in other forums, but not the forum games.