2016/05/30 - Remember Who You Are

For old comic discussions threads! seriously what did you think
Obbl
Smiley McSmiles

2016/05/30 - Remember Who You Are

Post by Obbl »

[ Remember Who You Are ]

Title Text: I shall become BATMAN! Or wait, what were we talking about?

Yay! Learn that lesson! :D
Saturn381

Re: 2016/05/30 - Remember Who You Are

Post by Saturn381 »

Took you awhile to finally get it Keene.

Also, Wednesday is going to be the end of year eight strip. I can't wait!
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

Well that is a good lesson for him to learn
Xane wrote:I guess he stressed himself out so much trying to fix everything by himself he had a stroke. He shall be The Batferret... Ferretman... something!
I could see that being what happened. Then again he might not be dead at all still and this was just Henry trying to help him by teaching him not to stress out so much, making this some kind of dream I would guess.
Adoring Fan

Post by Adoring Fan »

Saturn381 wrote:Took you awhile to finally get it Keene.

Also, Wednesday is going to be the end of year eight strip. I can't wait!
It is? but were only on book 6.... Also, i'm more confused than ever now. He wants to be the one who fixes everything. is that a crime? I would fix the world if everyone would just let me... but for some reason everyone gets all awkward when you try and convince them you should be supreme global overlord.. *sighs*

I almost feel like this strip is giving a bad message "The world is a terrible place and no matter what you do it will never get any better, so don't even bother trying". I mean... Noone else was helping and Keene is really the only one with the ability to push it forward at all, you would think his "father" would be happy for him striving for his dreams. I dunno... I just want to see how this ends so hopefully it will make sense... As it stands i am more confused than when Pete and spirit first revealed themselves...
Image Image
Gbr23

Post by Gbr23 »

Xane wrote:He shall be The Batferret... Ferretman... something!
He is the ferret Babylon Garden deserves AND the one it needs right now
ImageImage
Wanna check my DeviantArt ? Here you go!
Iceheart

Post by Iceheart »

To the Ferretcave!
OwenStarr
Location: I'll pass, but only because I have no clue myself...

Post by OwenStarr »

With the instant costume change lever too! And a sidekick... but who?

8 years. Lotsa ink. Lotsa markers.
OwenStarr LaTour
Aspiring guitarist, writer, and voice actor. Not much of a juggler, though

valerio

Post by valerio »

IceKitsune wrote:Well that is a good lesson for him to learn
Xane wrote:I guess he stressed himself out so much trying to fix everything by himself he had a stroke. He shall be The Batferret... Ferretman... something!
I could see that being what happened. Then again he might not be dead at all still and this was just Henry trying to help him by teaching him not to stress out so much, making this some kind of dream I would guess.
Wonder what souvenir he'll bring from Heaven...
Obbl
Smiley McSmiles

Post by Obbl »

Adoring Fan wrote:I almost feel like this strip is giving a bad message "The world is a terrible place and no matter what you do it will never get any better, so don't even bother trying". I mean... Noone else was helping and Keene is really the only one with the ability to push it forward at all, you would think his "father" would be happy for him striving for his dreams. I dunno... I just want to see how this ends so hopefully it will make sense... As it stands i am more confused than when Pete and spirit first revealed themselves...
I think the point is that Keene was feeling dispirited because he felt that he needed to fix everything. In reality, there's no way he can fix everything or even everything that's wrong with animal rights. But he was letting that get to him and make him feel like there was nothing worth fighting for anymore. All that is sort of like what you said, but the underlying message is that even if he can't be the one to fix everything, he can still make things better. Mr. Milton is proud of Keene for what he is doing to help animals and humans come together, not disappointed for what Keene can't achieve. So Keene shouldn't let the disappointment he feels stop him from doing good things in this world.
RokukeShiba

Post by RokukeShiba »

Yes Keene find a way to get rid of that pesky free will :P

All Hail our Ferret overlord ;3
Nameless coyote

Post by Nameless coyote »

So...

Huh...

Yeah...

I got nothing.

Is the forum-link text supposed to be the moral of the story or it's there just as a bonus? Because that could change a lot.
I'm trying to put everything together based on this, but, it just doesn't work for me too well. Breel was showing/telling Keene, that time is all they have there, his mom presented him the "perfect version" of herself part. Cerberus... all I can think of is "making peace with his life"?
But it still doesn't "click" for me as a whole. I really hope for more explanation next strip.
Last edited by Nameless coyote on Mon May 30, 2016 1:44 am, edited 3 times in total.
What could possibly go wrong...?
Hlaoroo
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!

Post by Hlaoroo »

Am I the only one who can't read the title of this strip without hearing it in Mufasa's voice?
Frostwood Forever! <3

My RP Characters

Avatar drawn by the amazing ScruffKerfluff!

Nameless coyote

Ok, sorry for basically double-posting, but I needed a moment to think this whole thing through.
As I've mentioned before, the forum link makes this whole thing troublesome for me, since it sounds like it's trying to present us the point of this whole affair... but we should be able to tell the story just based on what we see in the strip. If I'd read "The 4 animals..." in the printed form for the first time, that's all I'd have.
So... instead of having a suggestion of "Keene was trying to be so good he became bad", I'll completely ignore it, and go with a different thought. If everyone in Heaven can become their perfect selves, your dream of being the one who fixes world can now happen as well. "You being dead derails your plans about that way less than you might think."

...yeah, we still need more context in the next strip.

Nevermind, I'm an idiot.
Last edited by Nameless coyote on Mon May 30, 2016 4:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Argent

Post by Argent »

valerio wrote:Wonder what souvenir he'll bring from Heaven...
A giant penny, a bust of Shakespeare, and a tiny city in a bottle.
Cinnamon "Sixtoes" Walton (M Pine Marten #B06060) @
Pitchpipe (F Jackrabbit #808060) @
Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

Argent wrote:
And a letter. Don't forget the letter.

Thousands of cemeteries around the land
Are filled with the bodies who took the sword;
Who gave their lives to make life worth living;
For whom others’ worth is beyond their own.
Darkness calls to the noblest of hearts
And they fall in from their own just accord;
Losing their way, their path and their spirit.
Becoming the dark instead of the light.
Keene has finally realised his trouble,
The fact that finally shows that he’s flawed.
He’s not been one to enjoy his good life;
He may now change that if he yet returns.
Commander Hawle. U.S.C. Loper. By the talented DDeer.
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
David Campbell - 7 – 8 – 9 – 5 – 4 – 4 – 6
Corp Davidstow 6 - 6 - 7 - 3 - 6 - 6 - 5 (reactions 7 Combat 9)
SuperStar

Post by SuperStar »

Hey, uh, am I the only missing what he just learned here? "The one who fixes everything", wasn't that already his goal?
Argent

Post by Argent »

Welsh Halfwit wrote:
Argent wrote:
And a letter. Don't forget the letter.
And maybe a pine marten.

Oooh, ooh, I bet the whole thing is a magical surprise birthday party! The whole Housepets cast comes in and hauls him off to the mansion for frolics and stuff!
Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

SuperStar wrote:Hey, uh, am I the only missing what he just learned here? "The one who fixes everything", wasn't that already his goal?
He's realising he cannot fix everything. It was killing him to try. Now he might learn to choose his battles and accept he may only be a stepping stone on the path to equality.
Commander Hawle. U.S.C. Loper. By the talented DDeer.
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
David Campbell - 7 – 8 – 9 – 5 – 4 – 4 – 6
Corp Davidstow 6 - 6 - 7 - 3 - 6 - 6 - 5 (reactions 7 Combat 9)
IdleCurator

Post by IdleCurator »

Hlaoroo wrote:Am I the only one who can't read the title of this strip without hearing it in Mufasa's voice?
Nope, I mentally cannot read it without using the voice.
Hi Hi Pie
Nameless coyote

So, if I'm getting it right now (I probably don't), what it basically leads Keene to, is taking it easier and ensuring there'd be a some sort of successors to his and Henry's work? I always was sure he had help with the task, making all the connections among lawyers, politicians etc. but he was trying to achieve the goal too distant. He sure didn't doubt the cause is worth it until he actually saw Heaven...
supersonicfan169

Post by supersonicfan169 »

Keene was bound to have his moment of realization at some point..it was really only a matter of when.
Cue the batman theme!
Those who say "Shoot for the moon, even if you miss, you'll land among the stars"...
have never played Kerbal Space Program.
HellishK9

Post by HellishK9 »

So Keene becomes the Batferret or something. If what happenes next is what I think, we all get to see him in a cute bat costume.
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

Annnnd he's gonna live now. It took Heaven to get him to clue in, so he goes back to earth with that lesson. :3

It basically means Keene was suffering from some form of burn-out for not achieving what he really wanted, but he has one of those near-impossible goals of fixing everything.
3 words - Liquid Metal Fur
22xander

Post by 22xander »

After I went through these comments I realised that it meant he was realised that idea was dumb. When I finished the comic I thought that it was because he was Ferret-Jesus.
House42

Post by House42 »

Gbr23 wrote:
Xane wrote:He shall be The Batferret... Ferretman... something!
He is the ferret Babylon Garden deserves AND the one it needs right now
RACHEL!! *cue the Nolan Batman music*
TheOne
Location: Trapped in the center of the Galaxy. Need a starship to get out!

Post by TheOne »

You are my son, and the one true king. Remember. Remember.[/s]

This whole thing is very Doctor Basil.

Basil: I can't save everyone! I don't have that right! These people here been dead for thousands of years! I can't save them all!

Donna: Then don't! Just save who you can. One family. (At a time)

(Pardon me if I misquoted that. It's been a while since I watched that episode.)

Who ever thought that The Doctor would be named Basil?
Last edited by TheOne on Tue May 31, 2016 10:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dag nabbed petty annoyances...
Adoring Fan

Post by Adoring Fan »

Obbl wrote:
Adoring Fan wrote:I almost feel like this strip is giving a bad message "The world is a terrible place and no matter what you do it will never get any better, so don't even bother trying". I mean... Noone else was helping and Keene is really the only one with the ability to push it forward at all, you would think his "father" would be happy for him striving for his dreams. I dunno... I just want to see how this ends so hopefully it will make sense... As it stands i am more confused than when Pete and spirit first revealed themselves...
I think the point is that Keene was feeling dispirited because he felt that he needed to fix everything. In reality, there's no way he can fix everything or even everything that's wrong with animal rights. But he was letting that get to him and make him feel like there was nothing worth fighting for anymore. All that is sort of like what you said, but the underlying message is that even if he can't be the one to fix everything, he can still make things better. Mr. Milton is proud of Keene for what he is doing to help animals and humans come together, not disappointed for what Keene can't achieve. So Keene shouldn't let the disappointment he feels stop him from doing good things in this world.

That's an interesting way to look at it... However it still feels self destructive. On one hand you could easily say "well if i cant make anything better why should i even try" and on the other you could say (as keene actually did) If everything is perfect here why should i even care about the world..... I dunno... I get that this strip is a big coming out of Mr. Miltons shadow moment but it feels somehow that the wrong lesson is being learned here... I dunno.... This was admittedly a tough thing to make happen and i would be hard pressed to think of a better way to do it but it still feels like it could go either way.
Image Image
Sansash

Post by Sansash »

"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain."
-Harvey Dent

Also-
"When I find something immensely frustrating, I ask myself, 'Am I frustrated because something is broken and corrupt, or am I frustrated because I don't get to be the Emperor?'"
-Daniel Biss
(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=meXFCMqz4ZE)
(Don't Forget To Be Awesome, Keene!)
Maryalee

Post by Maryalee »

So, if it is a dream he wakes up. If he was in a coma, not really dead, he gets to go back to earth. He gains a newfound knowledge of his responsibilities and his limitations.

But he has to leave Bree behind?
Cesco

Post by Cesco »

Poor Keene, he hasn't enough time to live and hope in reaching his and his father's goal, and his big amount of money neither can help to do that... :( Billions of dollars can bring changes in people's habits, instead, but they're usually in worse... Well, I agree with the time issue as thing that helps in making people better, but spend it being in that place called Heaven must certainly help a lot more. ;) Maybe you're asking too much from yourself, Keene: your father Henry did already a lot when he was alive (probably the fact of being an human helped, too), but you can see that he's already proud of you for your hard attempting to continue his work. :D
Oh, finally Keene got it! :P So, looking back at all this discourse, is Heaven the only thing that fixes everything? ;) Now I except Cerberus to "wake" him. :)
valerio

Post by valerio »

It's funny how Keene, of all things, didn't even question those occasions in which he acted the evil overlord against animals in order to satisfy his purposes.
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

So here's what I'm getting. Keene is finally realizing that he never would have achieved the goal of "fixing everything." Everything he would have done, it would never reach perfection. And he realized that he was putting on a burden that no mortal ever needed to, as it was impossible from the start.

No matter what we do, how hard we strive for it, perfection will forever be out of our reach. We can run towards it as much as we want, it'll never be achieved. But here's the thing; we still moved. We'll never reach it, but that doesn't mean that we shouldn't even try. We still moved forward, we're not in the place we started from. We're better for it, we probably inspired another to take up the race themselves. As long as we're not in the same place as before, we can be proud of the improvement.

We may have steps back, as that's part of the human condition, but we eventually start heading forward again. Each of us can take the steps forward with the life they're granted, and when our time is up, someone else might carry the torch. We shouldn't worry about trying to do it all ourselves, as there is a mortal limit.

Keene is realizing that his efforts weren't for naught. Yes, Heaven is finally the perfection he wanted so badly. Yes, he wanted that on Earth, but failed. And yet, he made an impact on Earth, and could have had others that wanted to carry out his plans in their own way, no matter how small, as sometimes you can bring about a great change with a small act.
Faith doesn't change circumstances. Faith changes me.
SuperStar

Post by SuperStar »

I think the primary reason I'm missing any impact from the strip is because I've never really cared about Keene's exploits for animal rights. It was sort of just to the side at the start, and now it's a focus and I couldn't care less for it, darn it me :|
Unusuallynamedperson

Post by Unusuallynamedperson »

well that was random Keene...
If I hit someone with a dictionary is that physical, or verbal assault?
https://discord.gg/2Kwwv Housepets Discord link repaired!
FancyHat
Location: Somewhere in the Southern US...Would prefer Scotland.

Post by FancyHat »

I can just imagine if this was a cartoon, There would be a Lightbulb or Exclamation mark over Keene's Head right now..
"Crimes?" "Crimes."
Frank

Post by Frank »

I'm also not sold on this epiphany
TheOne wrote:This whole thing is very Doctor Basil.
The Great Mouse Detective spoiled the name Basil for me
"[E]ven with simple tools, you too can make awesome."
November 21, 2010
Nightfirex

Post by Nightfirex »

Let me dust this off here. Been a while since I used this. I will have to say this is quite the dilemma as I will have to say something out this comic does feel a bit 'off'. Maybe not the moral message itself but moreso the encompassing factors around the message. Perhaps it be better explained in the next comic but overall I love this arc so far.
e_voyager

Post by e_voyager »

sometimes you get so caught up trying to fix everything you are the one that breaks.
for i am the traveler who knocks at the door, and i am the stranger who helps out the poor, i am the wind blowing the the trees my path is unmarked no trace do i leave.
Argent

Post by Argent »

Frank wrote:I'm also not sold on this epiphany
Eh, it's not your epiphany.
Unusuallynamedperson

Post by Unusuallynamedperson »

We can fix that :twisted:
If I hit someone with a dictionary is that physical, or verbal assault?
https://discord.gg/2Kwwv Housepets Discord link repaired!