Where did you hear of Housepets!?

Discuss the comic here
Bandit1990

Re: Where did you hear of Housepets!?

Post by Bandit1990 »

I'm not really sure, but they're already retail priced, so probably 50-70% over Amazon at least.

Check out Lightning Dogs on the Nerdyshow Podcast Network

It's an in-development animated series following a team of Anthro-Dogs trapped in the Wastelands of a ruined Earth.
Ash Greytree

Post by Ash Greytree »

Originally heard about Housepets on a message board around 2016 or so, I think? I tried going through the comic from the start but just couldn't get into it. Forgot about the comic until last month when someone on Discord shared these two strips and that re-introduced me to the comic. It piqued my interest because 1) My sona is a squirrel, and an arc revolving around a squirrel main character rather than the dogs and cats that I'd seen all the time before that excited me, and 2) I'd only remembered that King got turned into an animal and the reason was sorta clear; I love mysteries and the mystery behind who, what, or why Marion got turned into a female squirrel when his life was going so well before that was just the thing to get me into the comic in earnest.
With the right community, getting into a webcomic at the beginning of a brand new arc can feel just as enjoyable and rewarding as being there from the beginning.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

If this was any comic other than Rick Griffin's, my first thought would be that this happens because life is just cruel. However I know that with Rick, things happen for a reason and soon why Marion was turned into a gender-flipped squirrel will be clear.

I still say that the reason that Marion was turned into a female was because of his name which mostly is used for the name of a female in the US. :lol: I only know of two uses of the name "Marion" for a guy and both are in cartoons: Double D's middle name on "Edd, Edd'n and Eddy" and it was the name of the CIA agent turned social worker Bubbles in "Lilo and Stitch".
MiGFulcrum

Post by MiGFulcrum »

Talking webcomics with someone I didn't know a couple hours beforehand at an airsoft game. I love how so much people in this hobby are nerdy as heck and know tons of cool hidden gems, be they games, webcomics, online novels, anime series...
Last edited by D-Rock on Tue Jun 18, 2019 7:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Mod Edit: Do not use that word in this manner.
Sir Chestnut

Post by Sir Chestnut »

Popped up as a retweet on my twitter feed with An Auspicious Beginning back in April and have been following since then.

Although, going back and reading the series from the beginning I realized I might have read part of year one back when I was in college around that time as some of the B&W strips seemed quite familiar.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

So you did read the strips in the past and remembered it now but didn't remember where they were from?
Sir Chestnut

Post by Sir Chestnut »

Amazee Dayzee wrote:So you did read the strips in the past and remembered it now but didn't remember where they were from?
Pretty much. I have spent a good deal of time on Deviantart though, so it's likely I ran across Rick's page on there at some point.
Pugfanatic7708

Post by Pugfanatic7708 »

I think i just came across the site by pure happenstance, I was at a DQ and was looking for web comics to read and housepets was the first link, This was back before the Site change and the commit sections were under the current comic.... god i miss those commits. I wanna say i found it in the year of 2014, but fell out of reading it

I said it somewhere but i fell out of reading the comic after some parts, I fell out after Peanut broke the dragons heart in the reality where pets are walking on all 4 legs, and where the human corgi was about to call out the blue griffin's bluff I been needing to get back to reading the comic, so may as well start from the beginning. Anything pass that is a mystery.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

If you wanna read from the beginning then you better get started and buckled down because you have a LOT of ground to cover. X3
LunarFox

Post by LunarFox »

I don't think there's a law about that, so whatever you want, I guess?
You're a wonderful person! You can do this! Yes, you, person reading this!
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Buy the books, read `em at your own pace (even just a few panels a night) - why deny yourself one of life's little pleasures, eh? :)
LunarFox

Post by LunarFox »

Sure is! I've got them all. As a side note, when do new books usually come out?
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

I don't think there's any set schedule. It's usually whenever Rick has time to make sure they'd print right and get extra stuff such as art done for them. He'll announce when one is in the works.
Faith doesn't change circumstances. Faith changes me.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

You might be confusing a schedule for the books with the schedule for the comics. Comics come out every Monday, Wednesday and Friday. The books come out when everything is put together and its ready to be shipped.
Raku

Post by Raku »

I already answered this a while ago in another thread, but I figured I might as well give a more in-depth explanation.

Years ago I actually did find this comic (back in 2017) when I was researching stuff about the anthro fandom... I didn't actually read the comic because when I started, I didn't know where to begin. There were panels/comics missing on the main site that were up on Rick's DA account. Wasn't sure if there were other missing panels, and got turned off thinking I wasn't gonna get the full experience.

Then in 2018 after getting into another webcomic series (OOPS where the MC gets transformed into a Yinglet (I honestly forgot where I found that comic)) I was in the mood for more comics where the MC (or a major character) gets transformed. So I ended up looking up TF related stuff on TVTropes, and I found some comics that scratched that itch. One of them mentioned King, and that piqued my interest. I went back, and read part of the archive on Rick's DA then moved over to the website for the rest.

Was a fun time binge reading the comic... By the time I got caught up, we were in the beginning (or middle) of the hot springs arc which was amusing.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

How long did it take for you to get all caught up to the present when it was the Hot Springs arc?
Raku

Post by Raku »

Amazee Dayzee wrote:How long did it take for you to get all caught up to the present when it was the Hot Springs arc?
I don't remember... Maybe just a couple days?

When I say I binge, I binge so it didn't take me that long cause I was enjoying the read and wanted to move the plot(s) ahead.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I was in your same position when I first started reading the comic a few years ago but it still took me 2 months and that was when the present arc was "Heaven's Not Enough". :lol:
Gael

Post by Gael »

I saw a few strips on IFunny and decided to read the rest
LunarFox

Post by LunarFox »

Amazee Dayzee wrote:You might be confusing a schedule for the books with the schedule for the comics. Comics come out every Monday, Wednesday and Friday. The books come out when everything is put together and its ready to be shipped.
Thanks, Dayzee! I know when the comics come out, I was just wondering if Rick ever had a schedule for producing the books as well, since I've only been reading HP! for about a year. I take it that's a no then.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

They come out about year's end, as I recollect.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Around the time that the year ends but there isn't a specific date close to it that they get released. It is still only when Rick manages to put everything together.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Amazee Dayzee wrote:Around the time that the year ends but there isn't a specific date close to it that they get released. It is still only when Rick manages to put everything together.
RST - "Rick"-Standard-Time. ;)
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Too bad nobody but him knows how in the world that works. XD
Obbl
Smiley McSmiles

Post by Obbl »

Can we take more care when posting light-hearted jabs that might touch on someone's personal anxieties? I know it's not what you two mean, but this can be read as a critique of Rick's ability to get things done in a timely manner. And I would rather Rick feel appreciation that he puts together a book every year than feel that he's not succeeding at being timely about it
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Wait is that actually an anxiety that he has? I would NEVER want him to freak out about that and get overly anxious. That definitely WASN'T my intention. I suffer from Generalized Anxiety Disorder so I know how it feels.
Vertigo Fox

Post by Vertigo Fox »

TVTropes. Which, come to think of it, is where I hear about a lot of things...
Was surprised I hadn't heard about it before though. The art and the writing is well above average even at the start, and only gets better from there.
Ship's Cat, MPSV Iberia
Check out my musical ramblings, if you dare:

https://soundcloud.com/snowfoxden
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Nice to see we have someone else who found about the comic from TVTropes. :mrgreen:
LunarFox

Post by LunarFox »

Is there anyone out there who found this through TwoKinds? I feel like I'd read that, but I don't remember.
Zesortinge

Post by Zesortinge »

I can't find if I had a post here, but my I believe my first discovery and my rediscovery were both accidents from a search. I think. The rediscovery was before my account.

I almost misspelled the first discovery as discovorey.
I have ideas and I occasionally put them down.
Gael

Post by Gael »

Amazee Dayzee wrote:If this was any comic other than Rick Griffin's, my first thought would be that this happens because life is just cruel. However I know that with Rick, things happen for a reason and soon why Marion was turned into a gender-flipped squirrel will be clear.

I still say that the reason that Marion was turned into a female was because of his name which mostly is used for the name of a female in the US. :lol: I only know of two uses of the name "Marion" for a guy and both are in cartoons: Double D's middle name on "Edd, Edd'n and Eddy" and it was the name of the CIA agent turned social worker Bubbles in "Lilo and Stitch".
Allow me to introduce you to a third Marion in the form of Marion Moseby from The Suite Life
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I knew that there was one I was forgetting to put down. Thanks for that. :D
Gael

Post by Gael »

No problem, that was actually the only Marion I remembered
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

The reason why I probably didn't realize it was because I never really watched the show regularly.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Obbl wrote:Can we take more care when posting light-hearted jabs that might touch on someone's personal anxieties? I know it's not what you two mean, but this can be read as a critique of Rick's ability to get things done in a timely manner. And I would rather Rick feel appreciation that he puts together a book every year than feel that he's not succeeding at being timely about it
Sincere Regrets and no snides intended - I'vs had some experience with putting out a publication and it's an absolute bed of nails. While it goes without saying, I think everyone on this forum delights and appreciates Rick getting his annual collection together. I sure do.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I do also and I'm way too overly sensitive and think that everybody just wants to tear me down a lot so you would think I would know not to make jabs at other people but then again, this dummy right here has no filter on her.
OctoDoggo

Post by OctoDoggo »

Through passerby on furry discord. Someone mentioned something along the lines of “if that doesn’t convert them then give them Housepets lol” (it was a joke conversation lol) but yeah, then I asked about Housepets and now am a part of the ever growing abyss
Image Image Image
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Well then welcome to the forums now that you are here!

And FINALLY, someone else who uses Dragon Cave. :mrgreen:
Foxfan2164

Post by Foxfan2164 »

A furry Youtuber. Their channel name is Two furry bros. They acctually made a video on the comic and had a interview with Rick Griffin.
My Characters (Links and all)
Just your average Fox, Max and Marion fan.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I think I might end up going to check that out at some point.