King's Age?

Discuss the comic here
Silly Zealot

Re: King's Age?

Post by Silly Zealot »

My questions would be:
1) Does he still age like a human, or like a dog?
2) If he ages like a dog, and somehow gets turned back into a human, will he have the body of someone who has aged in dog years, human years, or with the same age he had at the time of the transformation? And will he transform back still wearing the jumpsuit and handcuffs from the prison?
Talk about over-thinking a fictional subject!
20th century fox? Given that this is the year 2020, that fox must be dead by now. Sadface! : (

I'm telling you, hyenas ARE canines too!
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

Never really thought about the human equivalent age of pets too much before. I would guess King would be the equivalent age of whatever he was as a human, which looked like late 20s to early 30s, max. But how does pet age measure to human age for this matter? Pets live longer than the real world here, but how much longer? I've read that maximum age in real pets could vary by breed. Correct me if I'm wrong on that last part.
Faith doesn't change circumstances. Faith changes me.
Dissension

Post by Dissension »

Animals' lifespans in the Housepets! universe are roughly double their equivalent in ours. Most fans use a three-and-a-half pet years per human year thing.

people are the only things that matter; take care of yourselves and each other
Gren

Post by Gren »

Dissension wrote:Animals' lifespans in the Housepets! universe are roughly double their equivalent in ours. Most fans use a three-and-a-half pet years per human year thing.
I think it should be two or two-and-a-half pet years per human year, since if you compare, human lifespan is around 80-85 years, and dogs lifespan around 40 years. Then, I think King should be around 10-12 years old since probably Joel's age was around 25.
ImageImage
Silly Zealot

Post by Silly Zealot »

A dog's average lifespan is around 15 to 17 years (although, a few months ago, I saw a TV news report about a dog that reached the astounding age of 19 years!), and only if take good care of them. Stray and wild dogs tend to live even less.
So housepets! dogs would live around 34 years. HOWEVER, in "an infinitesimaly brief history of the universe" Sabrina says that the animals from the housepets! universe live around 50 years.
20th century fox? Given that this is the year 2020, that fox must be dead by now. Sadface! : (

Gren

Post by Gren »

Silly Zealot wrote: Sabrina says that the animals from the housepets! universe live around 50 years.
That's just for ferals, house pets only reach the 40 years old as I said before.
ImageImage
Silly Zealot

Post by Silly Zealot »

Gren wrote:
Silly Zealot wrote: Sabrina says that the animals from the housepets! universe live around 50 years.
That's just for ferals, house pets only reach the 40 years old as I said before.
That wouldn't make sense, ferals don't have dental plans or health coverage.

copper
Puppy Wrangler

Post by copper »

Silly Zealot wrote:A dog's average lifespan is around 15 to 17 years (although, a few months ago, I saw a TV news report about a dog that reached the astounding age of 19 years!), and only if take good care of them. Stray and wild dogs tend to live even less.
So housepets! dogs would live around 34 years. HOWEVER, in "an infinitesimaly brief history of the universe" Sabrina says that the animals from the housepets! universe live around 50 years.

It actually does vary by breed. Great Danes have an average life span of around 6 - 8 years, while chihuahuas and pomeranians can live up to 18 on average. Labs and Golden retrievers are a good standard of an average age at 10-12. However, there are exceptions to the rule. I had a golden retriever that lived to 19 years old, grew up with me. The World record age for a dog is actually 29.... well, verifiable age anyway.
My characters
Everybody has a story to tell. What's yours?
Silly Zealot

Post by Silly Zealot »

I read the 29 one on wikipedia. It also said that it was unconfirmed.

Gren

Post by Gren »

Silly Zealot wrote:
Gren wrote:
That wouldn't make sense, ferals don't have dental plans or health coverage.
Yeah I thought the same thing. Pets are supposed to have a longer life than ferals in general.

By the way, I don't think that breed have something to do with lifespan in housepets!verse at all.
It's funny because you mods are always saying we, the users, always over-analyze, exaggerate and complicate everything and now you do the same:lol:
ImageImage
copper
Puppy Wrangler

Post by copper »

Silly Zealot wrote:I read the 29 one on wikipedia. It also said that it was unconfirmed.
I have a copy of the Guinness World Records book that has that as the official record for longest lived dog. It is confirmed...

As for over analyzing, I do not believe that pointing out a fact of the real world in any way is over analyzing.... I never said that it applied in the HP! universe. :|
My characters
Everybody has a story to tell. What's yours?
Kyuunado

Post by Kyuunado »

King is either of a random age due to Pete's influence or around the age of 6/7, depending on if corgis have a shorter life span. He could be 10/11 if not, assuming that Joel was in his early Thirties.
The nine-tailed Kitsune of England.
I am Kyuunado Fureatsurī!
Want to talk? PM me or message at [email protected] and add me on Google+
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

fenrirblack wrote:
Macsen wrote:King is looking very cute today. Even more so than usual.
fenrirblack wrote:Once again I ask you. How OLD is he?! seriously. not to mention he did go to college so backstory please.
Joel was 29 when he was turned into King. I don’t think his physical age as a dog has ever been known. I’ve always assumed his age was somewhere between Fox and Fido, which would make him slightly older than Peanut and Grape.
Okay. Where does it say he was 29? Is that confirmed? This has been plaguing my mind for months so it would be nice to have closure. I checked the alt-text and there was nothing. Okay still nothing. I've looked on Facebook & in the old archives. I checked the forums and wikis. What's sad about this is how much speculation there was about his human age and his "dog" age. For the record I'm in the camp that believes that his human age and dog age would still be the same because of "magic law" which means that King would have the same human lifespan he would have normally even though he is a dog which means his 'dog" age doesn't really exist beyond psychical appearance. He should live a lot longer than any other pet.
Housepets! Fan Fiction By Fenrir Black M.A.
There is a price to pay for defying fate.
Obbl
Smiley McSmiles

Post by Obbl »

As lots of people have said in this thread, pets live about twice as long in Housepets! (up to 40 years). So assuming Joel was in his mid-late 20s, that's x% of human life-span times 40 for his age as King.
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

Obbl wrote:As lots of people have said in this thread, pets live about twice as long in Housepets! (up to 40 years). So assuming Joel was in his mid-late 20s, that's x% of human life-span times 40 for his age as King.
I don’t do math. All I need is literally two numbers. At this point I don’t care if it’s how he was back in 2009 or now. I need a number between 20 and 40. Even a DOB would satisfy this mind numbing obsession. I’m about to break out the bulletin board, thumbtacks, and red string to figure out how old Joel is.
Obbl
Smiley McSmiles

Post by Obbl »

So you're willing to spend however long breaking out the thumbtacks and string to solve this, but you don't want to do the tiny bit of math here? :P

Since the interpretation of "dogs and cats also live up to forty years" is a little up to interpretation, we can take it to mean the equivalent of the average human life expectancy (around 80) or a very high age that many humans still achieve (around 100).

Then solve for:
A = 40x | A = King's age, x = Joel's percentage of life lived

Assuming Joel is mid 20s:

Assuming human life expectancy of 80 years:
23 = 80x -> x = 23/80 -> A = 40 * 23/80 = 11.5
27 = 80x -> x = 27/80 -> A = 40 * 27/80 = 13.5
Then King is 11.5-13.5 years old.

Assuming human life expectancy of 100 years:
23 = 100x -> x = 23/100 -> A = 40 * 23/100 = 9.2
27 = 100x -> x = 27/100 -> A = 40 * 27/100 = 10.8
Then King is 9.2-10.8 years old.

So, take your pick. :D
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

I'm an english major and psychology major. We don't do math.

It's not King's "dog" age I'm concerned about. I want to know his human age. Mid-20's is not enough for me. I need an exact number. All we know is that by now he's in his thirties. It's a pet peeve. When I write the first thing I tell the reader is how old a main character is. I don't know why but it's what I do.

The age thing is important because of a logic that exists in media. Say if Joel was 29 when he was turned into King then that would mean he was too old. Thirty year olds are way too old to be turned into animals and forced into the mess that King was in. By the time someone reaches the age of thirty the "adventure" window closes. No one wants to read about a 30 something year old palling around with a bunch of talking animals. Thirty somethings are usually in romance novels or high end fiction. If Joel was mid-twenties then he is on the outer edge of the "adventure window." This would be roughly 24-27. Still finding out who you are and young enough to do it. This is when your kinda situated life is turned upside down before you get too settled in a routine. Then there is 18-23. Adults who are still teens, college students, and those who are still building a life after college. If something like this happened to them then that would be not only acceptable in the eyes of mass media but more engaging to an target audience.

I know this sounds crazy but it makes sense when you think about it. I care too much about King/Joel to let him fall into the wrong age group. If Joel was too old when he was turned into King and had his life turned upside down then it takes something away from the overall story. Not much but it's like this blemish on the face of his character.

Yes I know that sounds crazy too. This is a very unhealthy obsession. I started to go away but then King came back and so did it.
Bandit1990

Post by Bandit1990 »

I really feel like the MST Mantra is appropriate here at this point.

Check out Lightning Dogs on the Nerdyshow Podcast Network

It's an in-development animated series following a team of Anthro-Dogs trapped in the Wastelands of a ruined Earth.
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

Bandit1990 wrote:I really feel like the MST Mantra is appropriate here at this point.
Yes, very nice. I get the point. *sigh* Since I'm not getting a official answer because no one knows for sure I will have to bottle it up deep down for the time being. But I will say this. The next time someone talks to Rick, ask him then tell me the answer so we can this thread to rest.
Obbl
Smiley McSmiles

Post by Obbl »

First, I must say if this is bothering you to a degree that it disrupts your life, then please stop reading Housepets. I mean this seriously and in all kindness, this story is not worth interfering in your life.

Second, you have apparently not met many 30 year olds. Almost every 30 year old that I know still doesn't know what they are doing with their life and longs for adventure/escapism. They would love to read a story about a person in their demographic having their life flipped upside down and going on an adventure. (And when I reach 30 in 3 years, I will be the same.)

Third, you may note that this thread has existed since 2011. Rick has never answered the question in that time. To be honest, I'm rather certain that Joel's exact age is not an important point for Rick. Joel is whatever age you think best suits him. Rick is fine with that. Truly. There may come a point when the plot calls for an exact age (doubtful, but possible), but it's literally no issue whatsoever if you want Joel to be 23, 27, 30, or even 37 (though I'd have trouble justifying that last one personally).

If that's not going to be fine for you, I refer you back to the first. Please take care of yourself.
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

Obbl wrote:First, I must say if this is bothering you to a degree that it disrupts your life, then please stop reading Housepets. I mean this seriously and in all kindness, this story is not worth interfering in your life.

Second, you have apparently not met many 30 year olds. Almost every 30 year old that I know still doesn't know what they are doing with their life and longs for adventure/escapism. They would love to read a story about a person in their demographic having their life flipped upside down and going on an adventure. (And when I reach 30 in 3 years, I will be the same.)

Third, you may note that this thread has existed since 2011. Rick has never answered the question in that time. To be honest, I'm rather certain that Joel's exact age is not an important point for Rick. Joel is whatever age you think best suits him. Rick is fine with that. Truly. There may come a point when the plot calls for an exact age (doubtful, but possible), but it's literally no issue whatsoever if you want Joel to be 23, 27, 30, or even 37 (though I'd have trouble justifying that last one personally).

If that's not going to be fine for you, I refer you back to the first. Please take care of yourself.
First I'm not crazy. I've been reading the comics for over two months and my life is basically the same other than the fact that I started writing the fan fiction. It is true that it bothers me deeply but I'm not going to lock myself in a room with the lights off and stare at the pictures like a hermit. Thanks for your concern but its misplaced.

Second The thing about thirty year olds is more a generic statement. Thirty year old of course would want that but I was thinking more in a general sense. Most thirty year olds I do know pretty much have life figured out. They have their families and careers. Let me put it like this. If I was thirty (and I will be in three years) then I would and will always want adventure and escapism. But this is in a literary sense. How many books or stories have thirty somethings going off on adventures like these comics? True 30 years old will want adventure because they USUALLY have settled down and found that their lives are mundane therefore needs an escape from reality. In a literary sense it is usually the younger people who have the more cartoonish adventures. I was thinking in the point of the target audience. A relatable character is based on a variety of factors and one of those is age.

Third It is true that Rick never gave an age and for whatever reason I know its true. But that is not the point. Whether or not Rick decides to answer the very simple question is determined by if it is asked. I've met authors. Fans will go up to them and casually ask them questions that in the author's mind may not seem relevant but will answer because it was asked. Rick is a good enough author to know how old Joel was when he was first introduced. In his mind he would have Joel's entire life story mapped over the last ten years. Even if he never said it he would know and hopefully would tell someone if they came up to him at a convention and asked it flat out.

So yes I may seem insane at the moment but I'm not. Yes this thread turned into a long rambling rant. Yes maybe some of what I've said doesn't make sense. But I did this is the hope that my question would be answered. Will it be answered? Maybe or maybe not. Will I be happy if it's not? No. Am I frustrated? Yes. Will it keep me up at night or drive me to the mad house? No. Was doing this thread helpful? Apparently not. But like most attempts in life I tried and will try a different attempt some other time in the future until a time where either the questions are answered or I finally give up. King's age is not the only thing I wonder about.

Again I am saying this very clearly. I am not crazy. My life is not effected by the comics anymore than anything else that I am a fan of. Please do not take the more extreme comments literally. I will occasionally use sarcasm, humor, and dramatic phrasing to emphasize my comments and statements. I implore you to understand that I am more competent then I may come across in the forum. I will say this once. I am not used to interacting with people socially and especially online. This forum is the first time I have ever been actively apart of a fandom. Please understand that I am learning but also understand that people have to learn to understand me and my behaviors just as much as I have to understand theirs.

I appreciate your help and understanding on this matter. You are a good person for trying but really it's okay. There are times and will be times I will need your help. Like the time when I asked about the wolf cubs.

You know whats sad. If someone just said “we don’t know. Rick never said...ever” when I first asked. We could have avoided this entire mess. In a strange way you actually did answer my question.
Last edited by D-Rock on Fri Jun 29, 2018 4:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Mod Edit: Do not double-post. Please use the Edit button if you wish to add more to your post if it's the most recent and little time has passed.
LunarFox

Post by LunarFox »

Well, there is a strip early on when King just gets the watch (https://www.housepetscomic.com/comic/20 ... o-take-ii/) where Sabrina calls him a pup, so I get the feeling that he's a little younger than he was as a human. Considering Sabrina's older, I'm going to guess that King's maybe ten?
You're a wonderful person! You can do this! Yes, you, person reading this!
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

When Joel transforms into King, do his human years become dog years (1 human year = 7 dog years)?
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I don't think so because if Joel was in his early 30s like I assume he was when he was arrested and turned, he would be anywhere from 210 to 231 years old. :shock:
Douglas Collier

Post by Douglas Collier »

Anthro dogs are supposed to age 3.5 years per year. And even then, I’m pretty sure there’s some sort of disturbance in the space/time continuum that’s kept them from aging that quick.
Douglas isn't my real name, but because of a name block put on me by a higher-order being known as Djinni, I can't say my real name.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Where was it said that anthro dogs only age 3.5 years? Is that because they are only half dog?
Obbl
Smiley McSmiles

Post by Obbl »

It's not been said, but it has been said that pets live about twice as long in this universe, so people have taken the standard 7 dog years to 1 human year thing and divided it in half
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Ooooh yeah. OK I see how that works. That is where he was coming from. Thanks.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Outside of the wolf pack, Sabrina seems to be the older of the critters. Fido and Sargeant Ralph may also be in her age bracket. How King fits into the demographic of Babylon Gardens, I'm not sure, but he's also probably senior to many of his canine colleagues.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Sometime someone should really do an age order of the pets and put them together in order of which is the oldest and which is the youngest.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Yeah, at least with the major characters. Might be a little tricky; not a lot of infoe to go on.
Champion Wallace

Post by Champion Wallace »

LunarFox wrote:Well, there is a strip early on when King just gets the watch (https://www.housepetscomic.com/comic/20 ... o-take-ii/) where Sabrina calls him a pup, so I get the feeling that he's a little younger than he was as a human. Considering Sabrina's older, I'm going to guess that King's maybe ten?
It was Fido who called King a pup so he looks like a pup by Fido's standards, not Sabrina's. However, as it's been pointed out the word "pup" probably wasn't literal.
Amazee Dayzee wrote:Where was it said that anthro dogs only age 3.5 years? Is that because they are only half dog?
You're right that it's based off the 7 year metric from the real world, but the 3.5 is more because they're twice the dog instead of half dog.
rickgriffin wrote:Pets live twice as long as usual. This is not just arbitrary: it's apparently been shown that there is a correlation between the height of an animal's head off the ground and its average lifespan.
NHWestoN wrote:Yeah, at least with the major characters. Might be a little tricky; not a lot of infoe to go on.
That's an understatement. The closest thing to an actual age for a character not born during the run is Peanut's "not even 5 years old", and that might not even be canon. Some things are deliberately ambiguous so Rick Griffin can change his mind later like if Fido, Bino, and Joey are from the same litter or not.
The cape comes with the promotion.
Sir Chestnut

Post by Sir Chestnut »

fenrirblack wrote: Third It is true that Rick never gave an age and for whatever reason I know its true. But that is not the point. Whether or not Rick decides to answer the very simple question is determined by if it is asked. I've met authors. Fans will go up to them and casually ask them questions that in the author's mind may not seem relevant but will answer because it was asked. Rick is a good enough author to know how old Joel was when he was first introduced. In his mind he would have Joel's entire life story mapped over the last ten years. Even if he never said it he would know and hopefully would tell someone if they came up to him at a convention and asked it flat out.

My theory is the King is supposed to be the same age as Rick, which would have made Joel about 24 at the time. I really don't have much basis for this, other than sitting within the age window though.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Oh, well, I'll play the fool - has anybody actual asked Rick the direct question: "How old is King, anyways"?

The issue does seem to generate a lot analytical anxiety. My own theory is Rick hasn't given it great big buckets of thought, partly in case it might become a useful narrative factoid later and partly because he might think it uber-trivial...

You know what would be seriously neat? If Rick would disclose Joel/King's actual birthday. I'm not being snarky here ... Hey, Daisy's biggest fan booster can't afford to throw trash at any other character "clubs" ... and "The King" has many, many devotees.

If we knew his birthday, we'd not only have an answer (after some quick math), we could have a new Thread on the forum. No, really, King's one the top popularity characters in the comic - his fans might get a kick out celebrating his birthday with greetings, artwork, short stories, and other merriment. Maybe Daisy could get an invitation (Pete, Gale, and GK not so much).

Or not ... ;)
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I thought at first that Joel was young but not too young like maybe in his mid-20s but since it seems like he did time in jail he would have to be a bit older. It is very hard for me to thing of Joel being in his early to mid-30s but he has to be up there somewhere.
Sir Chestnut

Post by Sir Chestnut »

Was it ever mentioned what age he was when he ran off with his pets? In All The Kings Men Pt. 2, King mentions his memories of staying up and playing Sega Genesis with his pets before they ran off.
If we guesstimate Joel was around 10 when his pets turned on him, and that the Genesis era was roughly between 1990-1997, and assuming the arc takes place the year it was written (2009) it would place him between 22-29. Unfortunately, that doesn't narrow things down any more either.

Not counting humans and Steward he's still considerably older than any other mortal character other than probably Rufus before he died. And not counting Breel, even if you only count his mortal years.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

It probably wouldn't be a good idea to just try to narrow his age down based on the games that he played. I actually don't really think that Rick was gonna give much thought to King's age other than he's old enough to join PETA.