A Very Dorky Housepets Fanart

Discuss the comic here
mathgrant

A Very Dorky Housepets Fanart

Post by mathgrant »

Some people draw. For example, Rick Griffin draws. He draws lots of good stuff. In fact, his stuff is so good, that many people who also draw are inclined to draw so-called "fanart" as a token of their appreciation. (This forum is replete with examples.) I, on the other hand, don't draw. I do, however, have a decidedly different, possibly dorkier, and certainly less common talent: I compose logic puzzles. As a matter of fact, I've been doing this for years. Most folks would probably be surprised that logic puzzles can be just as legitimate of an art form as other art forms, such as poetry, prose, music, and of course visual arts (paintings, drawings, even webcomics). As such, late this past October, I set out to pay tribute to Housepets! in the only way I knew how: through a logic puzzle.

The day after having posted this puzzle on A Cleverly-Titled Logic Puzzle Blog (my blog, natch), I got an even crazier idea: despite my lack of drawing ability, or experience, or whatever it is I lack, I would draw a picture of Peanut and Grape commenting on my logic puzzle. That way, I figured, it would be more legitimate as a fanart. And then I posted it on deviantART. And now, over a month later, I've worked up the nerve to join this forum and tell all of you about it!

OFF-SITE LINK REDACTED

Whether you have the courage and intellect to solve the logic puzzle enclosed therein, am amazed that I could arrange the clues in a logic puzzle in an outline of the emblems on Peanut and Grape's collars, or merely admire my attempt to draw Peanut and Grape (which includes such lazy artistic shortcuts as not using shading and not drawing more than heads), I hope you enjoy this fanart. :)

(Apparently, Buckdida found this piece of fanart already when compiling the "Housepets! Information Thread"; I assume Buckdida searched deviantART for "housepets" and found it, or something. Hooray for deviantART!)
Last edited by mathgrant on Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Alex

Re: A Very Dorky Housepets Fanart

Post by Alex »

Hey man, welcome to the forums. Yes, we already saw that logic puzzle of yours, and we found it to be very nice :).

However, we post all our fanart in this thread: https://www.housepetscomic.com/forums/v ... ?f=2&t=113

And it wasn't Buckdida who found your picture, it was Sinder.
Richarson Valley
Edward S4 P8 E6 C8 I9 A3 L5
Shanks S7 P5 E6 C7 I4 A6 L7

mathgrant

Post by mathgrant »

I had no idea that a thread titled "Another bit of fanart" was the place for posting *all* fanart. With a title like that, I'd've assumed each fanart warranted its own thread or something. Nonetheless, you seem to be correct, both about the thread and about Sinder having been the one to have first discovered me, judging by my recent perusal of the thread. I quote:
Sinder wrote:THREAD OVER. ALL OF YOU CAN LEAVE NOW.

This is it, Rick. You'll never receive a more elaborate piece of fanart than this. There's no point in even trying.
rickgriffin wrote:Hey now, that guy talks to me a lot on AIM and he was very proud of his puzzle thing!
It's true -- yes, I do talk to Rick Griffin on AIM (no, I'm not giving my AIM screen name out publicly), and yes, I am very proud of this elaborate piece of handiwork. That is why I, not knowing you guys were aware if its existence already, posted this thread. :) That being said, I guess Rick Griffin can merge this thread with the other one, or something, if it's deemed that this thread's useless now. *shrugs*
Ebly

Post by Ebly »

Also I would like to note that nobody on this forum has posted any proof of completing it yet.
I know I certainly haven't. U:
I was going to make a joke but then I did.
Flamboyant-Pencil

Post by Flamboyant-Pencil »

FFFFFFFFFF OH GOD NUMBERS.

*Brain 'splodes*

On a more serious note, awesome job :D
deviantART! 8D

AWESOME AS CHARGED
Sinder

Post by Sinder »

much like a rubik's cube, there is no solution
ImageImage
ImageImage
mathgrant

Post by mathgrant »

Ebly wrote:Also I would like to note that nobody on this forum has posted any proof of completing it yet.
I know I certainly haven't. U:
I'll be glad to provide a gentle nudge to anyone who wants one. Whether you want help getting started, or have solved the puzzle partway through, shoot me an e-mail or a PM, and I'll provide a hint. I don't bite, so don't worry about me chiding you for being stupid or something. :) I want my puzzles to be enjoyed, and I'm willing to dispense hints if doing so will contribute to this goal!
Flamboyant-Pencil wrote:FFFFFFFFFF OH GOD NUMBERS.

*Brain 'splodes*

On a more serious note, awesome job :D
Oh, come on. This is far from the most evil puzzle I've ever composed. But thanks for the compliment! I am very pleased that fellow Housepets! fans are able to appreciate this creation of mine. :)
Sinder wrote:much like a rubik's cube, there is no solution
I can attest that there is very much a solution to this puzzle -- in fact, there is only one solution. Two people outside of this forum have each independently solved this puzzle and sent their correct solutions to me, and they can also attest to this.

Unlike a Rubik's cube, though, you can't just peel off and re-attach the stickers for this puzzle. ;)
Flamboyant-Pencil

You can if you use MSPaint/Photoshop >:3

*Makes all the numbers 3*
deviantART! 8D

AWESOME AS CHARGED
mathgrant

Post by mathgrant »

Flamboyant-Pencil wrote:You can if you use MSPaint/Photoshop >:3

*Makes all the numbers 3*
That's not going to work; for one thing, when I check your supposed answer against my answer key, I'll notice that you changed the numbers to 3, and you cheated. >={

Secondly, even if you put a 3 in every cell of that 20x36 grid, you can't divide the grid into regions each containing exactly 3 squares without having two regions of the same size (namely, 3) that share an edge. That cheat will only work if you change all of the numbers to 720. You wouldn't even need to divide the grid then! ;)
Flamboyant-Pencil

*Changes all numbers to 3*
deviantART! 8D

AWESOME AS CHARGED
mathgrant

Post by mathgrant »

Flamboyant-Pencil wrote:...

*Changes all numbers to 3*
What the --
(the universe explodes)

You defied logic, and now the universe is dead. Gee, thanks, Mr. Pencil!
Jimmy Jazz

Post by Jimmy Jazz »

Pencil always does that, trust me and the other IRC frequenters. Pencil is a trouble maker alright, but we still love him. ;)

what what? Jolly good time.
Ebly

Post by Ebly »

I could always go into Pain(t) and get rid of the grid and make it just one large box
with a 1 in it
Sinder

Post by Sinder »

ImageImage
ImageImage
mathgrant

Post by mathgrant »

For the love of all that is holy and logical, quit cheating. And quit wearing sunglasses while sweeping mines. :P (Or is that a really flat bikini?)
Ebly

Post by Ebly »

mathgrant wrote:For the love of all that is holy and logical, quit cheating. And quit wearing sunglasses while sweeping mines. :P (Or is that a really flat bikini?)
Sinder is presumably male, so I'd suggest that if he were wearing a bikini it would be very flat indeed...
mathgrant

Post by mathgrant »

Ebly wrote:
mathgrant wrote:For the love of all that is holy and logical, quit cheating. And quit wearing sunglasses while sweeping mines. :P (Or is that a really flat bikini?)
Sinder is presumably male, so I'd suggest that if he were wearing a bikini it would be very flat indeed...
I don't know whether that yellow face he's playing as is male, though. And maybe that yellow face guy just happens to enjoy wearing undergarments over his eyes.
Ebly

Post by Ebly »

mathgrant wrote:
Ebly wrote:
I don't know whether that yellow face he's playing as is male, though. And maybe that yellow face guy just happens to enjoy wearing undergarments over his eyes.
Actually, I was attempting to imply that Sinder enjoys wearing women's clothing.
Perhaps I should have been more direct.
Alex

Post by Alex »

Ebly wrote:Actually, I was attempting to imply that Sinder enjoys wearing women's clothing.
Perhaps I should have been more direct.
I can't confirm this. Actually, I'll negate it. Sinder doesn't enjoy wearing women's clothing.
Richarson Valley
Edward S4 P8 E6 C8 I9 A3 L5
Shanks S7 P5 E6 C7 I4 A6 L7

WolvenPaw15

Post by WolvenPaw15 »

Good thing I already lost my sanity on Furthia High Forums or this would seem weird to me But since I did lose my sanity on Furthia High Forums It soesn't seem weird at all = 3
*Changes all the numbers on the grid to 75*
Pet Friendly:
Zeke Warren RG S-5 P-5 E-5 C-5 I-8 A-9 L-5