End of an Era

Discuss the comic here
EHH123

End of an Era

Post by EHH123 »

Almost 5 years ago, the King story arc began with Pete turning Joel into a corgi. Now, the Game is over and King is free to live his own life. I know that for some people, King's story was the main reason they read Housepets. Now that it has ended, how do you feel about it?

For me, I loved King's journey but I also am looking forward to seeing the other characters again. Peanut, Grape, Bino, Sasha, Maxwell... Ultimately, the comic is not just about King but all the pets of Babylon Gardens.
SuperStar

Re: End of an Era

Post by SuperStar »

Well actually ultimately it's about Joe-*gets bricked*

Sorry! I mean, uh, yeah, Babylon Gardens! That's it. *looks over shoulder*

I look forward to seeing what the next arc is.
valerio

Post by valerio »

EHH123 wrote:Almost 5 years ago, the King story arc began with Pete turning Joel into a corgi. Now, the Game is over and King is free to live his own life. I know that for some people, King's story was the main reason they read Housepets. Now that it has ended, how do you feel about it?

For me, I loved King's journey but I also am looking forward to seeing the other characters again. Peanut, Grape, Bino, Sasha, Maxwell... Ultimately, the comic is not just about King but all the pets of Babylon Gardens.
Nope.
I always read Housepets! for its immense value as enticing and involving comic on all sides, the comic, the silliness, and the great character development, with a rare ability from the author to evolve the comic and keeping true to his characters. King, Bailey and Fox have come up as the best interaction characters, but for example I started a fanfic based on the Grapenut. Long before King became numero uno and still i thought he'd end up with Sasha^^
I feel very happy that this arc is over with the best outcome, and am positive that more awesomeness awaits regarding the rest of the cast, as it always was^^
TendoTwo

Post by TendoTwo »

I had started reading it before the whole arc where Pete was released from his temple, in all honesty, back then when they started adding supernatural deities I was starting to worry the comic would succumb to Cerberus Syndrome.
WireWolf

Post by WireWolf »

Glad it had a happy ending. Though I'm still both excited and nervous about how Pete and Dragon will be handled. (Or in the worst case scenario NOT handled.)
And the gods in general.
I REALLY hope this isn't Pete's, Dragons, Kitsune's and Cerberus's last appearance. :(
What are they then but Brutes? ‘Tis vice alone that constitutes. Th’enchanting wand and magic bowl,
The exterior form of Man they wear,But are in fact both Wolf and Bear,
The transformation’s in the Soul.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

I'm so glad it's over. Even though it's given us some good comics, it's always been quite the plot tumor. I'd love to see more of the wacky hijinx and overall silly adorableness of the rest of the cast. Like, Peanut and Grape? Remember those guys?
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
valerio

Post by valerio »

Sleet wrote:I'm so glad it's over. Even though it's given us some good comics, it's always been quite the plot tumor. I'd love to see more of the wacky hijinx and overall silly adorableness of the rest of the cast. Like, Peanut and Grape? Remember those guys?
who?
yehoshua

Post by yehoshua »

Have I really been following Housepets! that long? Wow, time flies.
Sent from my conifer.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I started reading the comic in August. It took me a while of cramming all the comics together in a few days but I eventually caught up.
KingFan202

Post by KingFan202 »

Its amazing... its been so long since it all started. Im excited to hear stories of everyone elses shenangins and kings life now :3
King as Red (Pokemon) Avatar By CHAOKOCartoons!
ImageImage
Deske

Post by Deske »

I dunno, I started reading before Joel/King came along, though I'm not entirely sure where I started. Anyways, I dunno, I'm still looking forward to see if King will play into all the "wacky, silly hijinks" of the main cast.
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

I'm just glad the center of attention deal that King was getting can be minimized now.

I wasn't against King and the celestial beings, but the way the writing was going was too centered on King and the celestial beings.

With the hopes Rick commented on, I'm hoping for some good old fashion humor and cat/dog hijinx. and maybe moresome. =3
3 words - Liquid Metal Fur
Macsen

Post by Macsen »

GameCobra wrote:I'm just glad the center of attention deal that King was getting can be minimized now.
*snort* Like that will ever happen. :P

There are some open questions left by all this.

1) Without being Pete's minion, where will Keene go continuing Henry Milton's vision? Will it slowly disappear? Or will we suddenly see him "go big" with an interspecies wedding? (*nudge*Fido-and-Sabrina*nudge*)

2) Now that we know Tarot got with Peanut at Dragon's behest, how will their relationship evolve? (Although it's possible she didn't, I can imagine she told Peanut that during the events of THE GALLIFRAX PROTOCOL.)

3) What about the temple? Can Zach and Kari still get in? Will Keene, or someone else, try to plunder the riches? (At the beginning of Temple Crashers, Milton's nephew was looking for it.)

And some more that are unrelated, but can possibly be explored now that the Cosmic Nerds are out of the picture.

4) What happened with the GODC following Fido's dismissal? Are we assuming Bino was "elected" leader, or is an election forthcoming? And when is he going to finally annoy Duchess too much?

5) Will Fox finally get a (mortal) love interest?

Any other ideas?
Ryusuta

Post by Ryusuta »

King is in the comic still, and he's still the same huffy little grumpy but gentle-hearted corgi I love. Don't think for one second that making his choice makes king any less unique or special. Just more grown-up as a character. =)
valerio

Post by valerio »

Kitch wrote: 1) Without being Pete's minion, where will Keene go continuing Henry Milton's vision? Will it slowly disappear? Or will we suddenly see him "go big" with an interspecies wedding? (*nudge*Fido-and-Sabrina*nudge*)

2) Now that we know Tarot got with Peanut at Dragon's behest, how will their relationship evolve? (Although it's possible she didn't, I can imagine she told Peanut that during the events of THE GALLIFRAX PROTOCOL.)

3) What about the temple? Can Zach and Kari still get in? Will Keene, or someone else, try to plunder the riches? (At the beginning of Temple Crashers, Milton's nephew was looking for it.)

And some more that are unrelated, but can possibly be explored now that the Cosmic Nerds are out of the picture.

4) What happened with the GODC following Fido's dismissal? Are we assuming Bino was "elected" leader, or is an election forthcoming? And when is he going to finally annoy Duchess too much?

5) Will Fox finally get a (mortal) love interest?

Any other ideas?
CORGSKY PUPPIES :D
this said...

1) I think that Fido and sabrina will break the record and adopt
2) Peanut is very laid back regarding the supernatural. it will be GRAPE who will likely try and skin Tarot, should she discover that her bestest friend in the whole world had been intended as a pawn in a game
3) Karishad can go ANYWHERE. Zach is still a prophet; the fact that now Pete is out of the picture shouldn't be a problem for those who believe in him. They have the prophet and their faith. Also, they never met Pete so to them he's still an intangible presence
4) I'd really love that Fox took the leadership of the GODC by election. Duchess may decide to break with Bino when she discovers that he's not helping her enough to win contests
5) Perhaps the all-new and reincarnated Dragon, as mortal, will decide she likes him. Ouch.

as for other ideas
Keene is one resourceful ferret, and has friends in high places. He'll know how to turn Zach in a mediatic star to the benefit of animal rights. The only problem will be keeping Zach still and well-bound.
Tiger will overcome his problems with his name
Falstaff and Truck get adopted
Macsen

Post by Macsen »

I have another idea...

Perhaps we could see more of Rex's softer side? Maybe parlay that into a break with Bino?

valerio

Post by valerio »

that would be awesome!
And then Rex, Boris and Yeltsin conspire to take over the club and rule as triumvirate. ALL HAIL!
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

I would like to see the human parents more, to be honest, but Rex is a good idea too.

Some ideas i want to look into is Sabrina. Now that her main reason for hanging out with the gods is gone, i could see her feeling down about it, but then again ~ she probably dropped it with the satisfaction of dropping Dragon for good. Is she over it?

I'm amused to the fact that Pete's feather may not disappear. I'm actually curious how many times it will be referenced in the comic in the future since he ain't there anymore? :3

Haven't seen Fiddler and Keys in awhile...

I wonder if Karishad and Itsuki will share an interest in the future?

a final note for now would be Tarot. I am curious how this will turn out for her in the end and if she is still able to do her usual sight seeing at the very least? She probably lost the ability to find remotes (XD), but reading the future shouldn't be a problem =)
3 words - Liquid Metal Fur
Shadowstar23

Post by Shadowstar23 »

Maybe in this Age of Housepets, Grape will visit the pound she used to stay in. Looking for another sibling to adopt.
There is always a mystical adventure awaiting you. You just have to find it and take the first step into epicness.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Looking at the comic, I had no idea Fox used to be more of a jerk under Bino's influence.
Shadowstar23

Post by Shadowstar23 »

Amazee Dayzee wrote:Looking at the comic, I had no idea Fox used to be more of a jerk under Bino's influence.
Actually, Fox was top dog as a pup and Bino followed him. When he was first introduced, he was one of the possie(I hope I spelt that right.)Through out the entire comic he has continually questioned his friendship Bino. Especially at the end of the Valentine's arc.
There is always a mystical adventure awaiting you. You just have to find it and take the first step into epicness.
Dissension

Post by Dissension »

Shadowstar23 wrote:Maybe in this Age of Housepets, Grape will visit the pound she used to stay in. Looking for another sibling to adopt.
Delusional Steve

people are the only things that matter; take care of yourselves and each other
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Shadowstar23 wrote:
Amazee Dayzee wrote:Looking at the comic, I had no idea Fox used to be more of a jerk under Bino's influence.
Actually, Fox was top dog as a pup and Bino followed him. When he was first introduced, he was one of the possie(I hope I spelt that right.)Through out the entire comic he has continually questioned his friendship Bino. Especially at the end of the Valentine's arc.
I thought that he questioned that because he was falling in love with Sasha (a pairing I wouldn't mind.)
RemonyRavine

Post by RemonyRavine »

Amazee Dayzee wrote:
Shadowstar23 wrote:
I thought that he questioned that because he was falling in love with Sasha (a pairing I wouldn't mind.)
Nah. He had plenty of other reasons to question it.
Game Cobra wrote:a final note for now would be Tarot. I am curious how this will turn out for her in the end and if she is still able to do her usual sight seeing at the very least? She probably lost the ability to find remotes (XD), but reading the future shouldn't be a problem =)
I'm also mostly interested in what Tarot's life will become after these events. By what we the audiance have seen, a lot of her life seemed based solely on the Game. Hopefully this means that Peanut and Tarot can actually spend more genuine time together without any interference of Dragon's shenanigans!

You know, I would like to see how Tarot deals with all the other dogs, too...she was at the Good Ol' Dogs Club cook-out (during the arc Dog Days of Summer) several years back, but no one really even noticed she was actually there. Not even Grape, and Fido kinda vaguely noticed her.

Peanut taking her to the GO Dogs Club could have some comedy potential there~.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Well however he influenced him, Fox does not like Bino anymore and can apparently beat him so bad that he breaks bones. Note to self never beef consumme off Fox.
herobrineharry

Post by herobrineharry »

Without king in the spotlight, The S.S. Grapenut shall sail again!

Directly into enemy fire!

Mod Edit: Avoid double posting by using the edit button to add more if you post is most recent
Forward, the Light Brigade!'
Was there a man dismay'd?
Not tho'(though) the soldiers knew
  Some one had blunder'd:
Theirs not to make reply,
Theirs not to reason why,
Theirs but to do and die:
Into the valley of Death
  Rode the six hundred.
dtlux1

Post by dtlux1 »

Here I am, reading for only a month now, and still loving it. I wasn't part of the big era and I wasn't with it through the years, but I do still love everything about it. Sure, an era has ended, but with it, a new one shall begin. Maybe we will get to see Pete and Dragon as mortals, you never know.
valerio wrote:
Sleet wrote:I'm so glad it's over. Even though it's given us some good comics, it's always been quite the plot tumor. I'd love to see more of the wacky hijinx and overall silly adorableness of the rest of the cast. Like, Peanut and Grape? Remember those guys?
who?
OH! YOU WOULD FORGET THEM!

Now I have to go back to reading a story I found called Housepets the Series.
Amazee Dayzee wrote:I started reading the comic in August. It took me a while of cramming all the comics together in a few days but I eventually caught up.
Glad to see I am not the only one :D I read the whole comic in a week, up to the point where they were on the plane, because that was newest update.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Of course, since I read it in such a short time, I think some of the strips might have been pushed out of my memory.
Arthas972

Post by Arthas972 »

The main King arc may be over, but I doubt he's gone for good. The closure just opens up new pathways, new opportunities. Now King can live a 'normal' dog life, and as this comic proves, that can be pretty exciting.
Karl

Post by Karl »

Amazee Dayzee wrote:Well however he influenced him, Fox does not like Bino anymore and can apparently beat him so bad that he breaks bones. Note to self never beef consumme off Fox.
It was nowhere said that Fox doesn't like Bino anymore.
I'm a bookworm!
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Its kind of implied because of the way that Bino treats King and now King and Fox are best friends.
RemonyRavine

Post by RemonyRavine »

Amazee Dayzee wrote:Its kind of implied because of the way that Bino treats King and now King and Fox are best friends.
But that's been going on for years, and we still see Fox hang out with Bino. They don't get along all the time, but Fox is the type of dog to keep his friends because he's a good boy that way. He doesn't like seeing anyone sad, whether it be King or even Bino. It's really a For Better or Worse kind of thing. Kinda like with Kyle and Cartman in South Park; it's a wonder Kyle even hangs out with Cartman all this time because of how much of a pain in the butt Cartman is, but...for better or worse, they still hang out. Yes, I am saying the dogs are a lot like the boys of South Park.
Macsen

Post by Macsen »

The last time we really saw Fox and Bino together was Love and War, when Bino dropped the clubhouse chores on him again to go on a date with Duchess. Fox walked out of the GODC meeting where Fido was kicked out. We haven't really seen Bino since.

I have a feeling that's where the comic is leading.
DigitalMan

Post by DigitalMan »

I was first introduced to the comics via the 09-24-2014 strip, at which point I back-tracked a couple weeks and then decided I absolutely had to read all of it. With that as the baseline, I wasn't turned away by the metaphysical shenanigans, but looking forward to it - and occasionally chuckling at complaints in the comments about where the comic was headed, because lol silly past people. Somehow reading the end of the arc first didn't ruin it for me, which indicates either really good writing or that the reader is a derp. And my vote is "yes".

Now, I've always enjoyed the rest of the shenanigans, too, quite a bit! And it seems to make for a better "core" of the story. But I'm definitely hoping that Cerberus, Kitsune, and the rest of the cosmic horrors return, possibly in shorter arcs.

As for where to go now... I have been told not to give writing advice, due to increased risk of damage from palm striking face.
You, sir, can not fathom the derp I have herped!
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Fox might not be the type to abandon any friends he has no matter how rotten they truly are, but I have no doubt that Bino would have no problems in dropping him like he's hot if he forces him to choose between him and King. Don't forgot, Bino still doesn't know that Fox had a crush on Sasha. And you can bet your bottom dollar that Duchess will drop Bino like a hot potato when she figures out he's not a pure-breed (the Wiki says he's a mutt).
SuperStar

Post by SuperStar »

Amazee Dayzee wrote:Fox might not be the type to abandon any friends he has no matter how rotten they truly are, but I have no doubt that Bino would have no problems in dropping him like he's hot if he forces him to choose between him and King. Don't forgot, Bino still doesn't know that Fox had a crush on Sasha. And you can bet your bottom dollar that Duchess will drop Bino like a hot potato when she figures out he's not a pure-breed (the Wiki says he's a mutt).
You read the wiki... 8-) YEAH!
Oh, and I can't find any source to back up that he's a mutt, but... just look at him.
RemonyRavine

Post by RemonyRavine »

SuperStar wrote:Oh, and I can't find any source to back up that he's a mutt, but... just look at him.
I was gonna say probably a beagle? But then I looked up beagles and that doesn't seem quite right.

Bino did look quite hesitant to show Duchess his "papers" two Valentines' ago...poor pup's really in for it.
SuperStar

Post by SuperStar »

RemonyRavine wrote:
SuperStar wrote:Oh, and I can't find any source to back up that he's a mutt, but... just look at him.
I was gonna say probably a beagle? But then I looked up beagles and that doesn't seem quite right.

Bino did look quite hesitant to show Duchess his "papers" two Valentines' ago...poor pup's really in for it.
Hrm, I never really caught what the papers where for anyway.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Maybe Bino will end up back with Sasha, Fox will get a new girlfriend and my character can have Kevvy all to herself. xP
Foxstar
BIG BROTHER IS WATCHING YOU

Post by Foxstar »

Amazee Dayzee wrote:Maybe Bino will end up back with Sasha, Fox will get a new girlfriend and my character can have Kevvy all to herself. xP
Never going to happen. Ever.