Something that's been bugging me lately...

Discuss the comic here
Stuff.

Something that's been bugging me lately...

Post by Stuff. »

Does anyone else think these last couple of arcs are moving a bit...more slowly compared to before? Perhaps a little too slow, honestly?

Now, I don't mean to say there's anything wrong with recent strips - they've all been about as funny as ever. But it feels like, since the start of The King and I, the storylines have been slowing down to tell the jokes, rather than having the jokes come naturally from the development of the story.

In The King and I's case, I can understand what that arc was going for - it was going to end with a big moment that needed a pretty big set-up, and the payoff did end up being pretty awesome. But it...honestly felt like it took longer to get there than might have been necessary. I got the impression that it wanted to draw as much humor out of the situation as possible, which is, of course, fine, but I didn't feel like the story was really going anywhere until about a month in, and even then, I didn't get seriously interested until Pete made his appearance. It was all funny - I laughed a lot - but it wasn't getting me excited about what might happen in the next strip for a pretty long time.

And with The Gallifrax Protocol, I know it kind of technically just started, yeah, but...I think that's kind of my problem. A week's worth of updateswas spent on a conversation that set up the plot of the arc, and another week on their reactions to the situation. Now, the first two strips from last week's updates were awesome, but the third one, I felt was kind of...unnecessary, I guess. And with the week before, the last one served its purpose, I guess, but I still kinda felt like that conversation could have been over more quickly. Again, the punchlines were all amusing, but lately, I've been finding myself less excited about where the story goes in the next strip because it feels like it takes a while before it really...well...goes. I just kinda feel like the pacing in most of the previous story-driven arcs worked a bit better toward holding my excitement for the next update, you know?

I dunno, what do you guys think? Am I just being a butt?
*cough*
Gren

Re: Something that's been bugging me lately...

Post by Gren »

I agree with you. In others words, there's a lot of jokes but not much plot. I think the story should be more fluent though maybe Rick have a reason to slow the pace of this arc.
And I noticed that it's been a while since Peanut had a normal conversation, I would say since the end of "Imaginate, too" (each time he have appeared since then was only for funny antics and silly answers).
ImageImage
BassGroove

Post by BassGroove »

I'm sure there's some bomb just waiting to be dropped. Not in a bad way but like a "oh no way, ya way" way.
I don't ever remember someone telling me they got hurt from doing something smart -Myself
Gren

Post by Gren »

BassGroove wrote:I'm sure there's some bomb just waiting to be dropped. Not in a bad way but like a "oh no way, ya way" way.
I hope so. I love surprises X3
ImageImage
BassGroove

Post by BassGroove »

Gren wrote:
I hope so. I love surprises X3
The best things come to those who are willing to wait. But are we willing?
I don't ever remember someone telling me they got hurt from doing something smart -Myself
Stuff.

Post by Stuff. »

Suppose I'll say that if that happens, I'm going to look pretty stupid.

But I'll be too amazed to care.
*cough*
valerio

Post by valerio »

Honestly?
After FIVE YEARS of HP, one could have learned that Rick favors a well-built arc, variations on a theme, unpredictability, etc. over a fixed scheme. So, to answer your question: Use a little trust, here, rather than a mere impression.
Stuff.

Post by Stuff. »

Heh, yeah, suppose I was calling it a bit too soon. Guess I just wanted to throw that concern out there.
*cough*