Pete = Good, Tarot = Evil?

Discuss the comic here
RockstarRaccoon
Worst Mod EVER!

Pete = Good, Tarot = Evil?

Post by RockstarRaccoon »

I said this in the Current Comic discussion, and I decided to make it into a thread.
RockstarRaccoon wrote:I can't wait to see what Pete does.
Finally, it looks like we get to see what his intentions are, and why Tarot was so afraid of him.

Edit: I looked back just now, because of all the debate, and I noticed that the full description she gave was (transcribed verbatim)
The power Grape knows as 'Pete' has transmitted a dream to her in order to put her at ease, thinking that his freedom is what she wants
Don't believe it! Pete is neither kind nor good; He is actually sort of a jerk.
Hurry, Peanut! Stop Grape or we're all in grave peril!
Hugs and Kisses, Honey
Then of course, Peanut isn't too bright, so Zack presses the button and releases Pete, after which he has this dramatic entrance where he breaks out of the cave and terrifies everyone who sees him. (they all seem to forget it) Obviously, be it true or not, something has lead Tarot to believe that Pete is not kind or good, or at least, that she should tell people this. Has anyone thought of the possibility that Pete is good and what Tarot is saying isn't true, whether she knows it or not? I'm going to assume that Tarot is not evil, because of the way she's been portrayed, but she's also a strange character who gets most of her info from otherworldly beings, but that doesn't mean she won't lie to further a greater agenda. (I hope I didn't just screw up an entire mega-arc for Rick. Sorry if I did!)

Now, to give an opinion of Pete's actions toward Joel/King, he seems to feel that what he is doing is righteous, despite how little he thinks of Joel/King's desires, or even his rights as a living creature. He seems to think that this is ok, and I'm still divided on this: Joel was a bad person, whether he was bad-hearted or not, and now King is, in fact, learning his lesson.
Now, I'm not usually into over-analysis like this, but I just thought this was interesting.

So: Could Pete be Good and Tarot be not telling the truth? I'm not saying Tarot is Evil, because, as I said, she's been portrayed in a way that makes this seem impossible from a story-perspective, but she may be working on the side of evil unwittingly. We don't know who Tarot gets her info from, or what their intentions really are, only that she refers to them as "the spirits": she may even be working for Pete himself, who knew she couldn't stop him, and wanted her to create opposition for some complicated reason. (this is a stretch though) Maybe she knows this to be a lie, and is telling it because she thinks good will come of it.
In any case, Pete has not shown himself to be "evil", though he does seem to be a Jerk, from the way he treats King. However: realize that, in locking King in a cage, he is protecting him from whatever his plans are.

Anyone have any thoughts on this?
Hey guys, I'm one of the RP section mods. Feel free to bug me any time: I'm not strict and I try to be very approachable.
Fanfiction Character: Vallerie Nightengale (female, idiot)
ChewyChewy

Re: Pete = Good, Tarot = Evil?

Post by ChewyChewy »

Just one: the MST3K mantra. :P

Seriously, though, while that's an interesting take, I doubt that it's going to get that complicated in this webcomic. It's called Housepets! and the primary focus is on house pets. Even though the multi-part "conspiracy theory" is fun to think about, I really have my doubts as to whether anything like that will happen. This is not a progressive narrative-based webcomic (like, say, Slightly D***ed), it's an episodic funny comic. And while it's good to see something in the way of progression, like development of the characters and their relationships, I don't think the focus would shift THAT much in a comic with this tone and scope.

In sum, good fanfic fodder, probably not going to see it in the comic itself.
PF chars

"We have to do this take again! HAL, do it with a LOT less emotion!"
"I'm sorry Stan, I'm afraid I can't do that."
--Phoenix

pair-o-dimes dot blogspot dot com
RockstarRaccoon
Worst Mod EVER!

I wouldn't call this complicated, it just looks that way because I presented it so thuroughly. What it would essentially be is a situation where the characters were being fooled all along. That's not complicated, that's just a huge twist, which is good story-material.
Hey guys, I'm one of the RP section mods. Feel free to bug me any time: I'm not strict and I try to be very approachable.
ChewyChewy

Post by ChewyChewy »

RockstarRaccoon wrote:I wouldn't call this complicated, it just looks that way because I presented it so thuroughly. What it would essentially be is a situation where the characters were being fooled all along. That's not complicated, that's just a huge twist, which is good story-material.
In a generic sense, yes--kind of like when Sasha said what she did at the end of "The Present."

But this is going way beyond the basic premise of the comic, so I'm less confident of such.
PF chars

"We have to do this take again! HAL, do it with a LOT less emotion!"
"I'm sorry Stan, I'm afraid I can't do that."
--Phoenix

pair-o-dimes dot blogspot dot com
yoyodude

Post by yoyodude »

b-b-b-but Tarot is too cute to be evil! :D

I agree with ChewyChewy in that this would make the whole comic way too complex if it actually occured. Also, a crazy big plot like this would seem to hijack the comic sorta. In the beginning we had pets "imaginating" and worrying about the vet, going to the zoo and seeing Uncle Ruben. If the whole comic turns into an epic battle between good and evil (though it almost kinda is) it would take away from the original theme for the comic
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

You know I had this thought as well,that the spirits might be tricking Tarot,but I think that might be a little to cliche. Its not even that's its to complicated its that it would be more obvious of a twist then Fido secretly being a Cat Lover (I mean come on the second they mentioned Fido I knew where that was going). And about this comic being to funny/episodic for something like this well to tell you the truth I'm waiting to see when/if this comic goes into Cerebus Syndrome territory really. (I'm not saying it will go that deep in to it obviously-in fact I have a feeling it will more or less straddle the line-and I admit it might not at all but I could see it getting a little more serious as the plots drag on.)

Edit: worded it a bit better
Typhon
Location: In my house. Reading housepets. And organic chemistry.

Post by Typhon »

but, but she's a Pomeranian!
44R0NM10
Former Mod of the Aura

Post by 44R0NM10 »

I don't think Tarot can be evil. She doesn't smile much though (have a look). Could she be hiding something (dun, dun, duuuuun!)?

Also, I don't think Pete has ever been called evil by the comic. Sure he's a jerk, but all we know is 'he's the beginning of the end' (link).

I don't think it's be too complicated to have Pete being nice...but I don't think Tarot can be evil. If a character can joke, he/she's not evil in my book...unless he/she is clearly evil, like Zed from power rangers.
Typhon

Post by Typhon »

Maybe it's her eyes..those scary eyes that look into your soul..
Turnsky

Post by Turnsky »

i personally think that Pete's no more malicious than a force of nature.

Neither good or evil, He just is.

Maybe he's the embodiment of Karma.
yoyodude

Post by yoyodude »

Turnsky wrote: Maybe he's the embodiment of Karma.
Hmmmmmmmm...
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

Turnsky wrote:Maybe he's the embodiment of Karma.
You know I always assumed he was some sort of actual God of some sort (Possibly Marduk (or some Babylonian God) due to the Akkadian Language on his prison.) But this is also a major possibility him just being some sort of embodiment of something. But then again it is equally as possible he's some sort of other God from another Pantheon (like Loki or someone) or even just something that Rick made up that has no connection to anything.
Liam

Post by Liam »

IceKitsune wrote:
You know I always assumed he was some sort of actual God of some sort (Possibly Marduk (or some Babylonian God) due to the Akkadian Language on his prison.)
The Akkadian language could indicate he's the 5th century BC Persian version of a griffin, what has interesting implications since they considered him a protector from evil and witchcraft.

So, maybe they're both on the side of good (betterment of the neighborhood?), but Pete despises her for her "soft" handling of things, where he's more of a "Utopia justifies the means" guy. Or so.
"It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends upon his not understanding it." - Upton Sinclair
Wanderer wrote:You don't need a job, you need money.
Dr. Prower

Post by Dr. Prower »

Typhon wrote:Maybe it's her eyes..those scary eyes that look into your soul..
Her eyes are cute...until they start glowing.
I ship Grape&Peanut and support King&Bailey
Dissension

Post by Dissension »

At that point, Tarot's eyes become super-cute.

people are the only things that matter; take care of yourselves and each other
Typhon

Post by Typhon »

At that point, Tarot's eyes become super-cute creepy
RockstarRaccoon
Worst Mod EVER!

lol, this isn't about Tarot's eyes, this is about a theoretical plot twist! XD
Ebly

Post by Ebly »

Well I dunno, I see Pete as being Pete. Not some weird mystical theory, just another character in the scheme of things.

Following the whole karma thing, though the idea of karma is based in the sum of a person's past actions dictating the results of their future endeavors, it's generally seen as being a form of just desserts - essentially a fair ending to an unresolved situation. That would explain the whole beginning of the end thing, especially since it's not really supposed to be immediate.

Either way the whole thing's begging a level of philosophy and spirituality that seems kind of wacky and out-of-place on a wacky and out-of-place forum like this
I was going to make a joke but then I did.
Typhon

Post by Typhon »

Ebly wrote:Well I dunno, I see Pete as being Pete. Not some weird mystical theory, just another character in the scheme of things.

Following the whole karma thing, though the idea of karma is based in the sum of a person's past actions dictating the results of their future endeavors, it's generally seen as being a form of just desserts - essentially a fair ending to an unresolved situation. That would explain the whole beginning of the end thing, especially since it's not really supposed to be immediate.

Either way the whole thing's begging a level of philosophy and spirituality that seems kind of wacky and out-of-place on a wacky and out-of-place forum like this
some people believe that being born a man is karma for doing a good job as a wife in the past life. Karma can work in mysterious ways...
Ebly

Post by Ebly »

Typhon wrote:some people believe that being born a man is karma for doing a good job as a wife in the past life
these are people that believe men are more powerful than women... and isn't really appropriate.

this has nothing to do with pete
I was going to make a joke but then I did.
RockstarRaccoon
Worst Mod EVER!

Ebly wrote:Either way the whole thing's begging a level of philosophy and spirituality that seems kind of wacky and out-of-place on a wacky and out-of-place forum like this
It's also kind of unrelated to what I started with... All I said was that there is a possibility that Rick's been feeding us faulty information about Pete, through Tarot. I think the term is a "Red Herring", where the author intentionally misleads the reader.
Macsen

Post by Macsen »

yoyodude

Post by yoyodude »

Yeah why would Tarot say to stop worrying about the "beginning of the end"? Seems sorta sketch...
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

yoyodude wrote:
Yeah why would Tarot say to stop worrying about the "beginning of the end"? Seems sorta sketch...
Most likely because Pete is a God and there is nothing they could do about him anyway. That makes me think exactly how are they going to deal with Pete anyway even though he has limits on his powers they most likely aren't enough to allow any of them to stop him from doing whatever he wants.
Typhon

Post by Typhon »

IceKitsune wrote:
yoyodude wrote:
Most likely because Pete is a God and there is nothing they could do about him anyway. That makes me think exactly how are they going to deal with Pete anyway even though he has limits on his powers they most likely aren't enough to allow any of them to stop him from doing whatever he wants.
They got two options, steal Pandora's box and gain the power to kill a god, or sit back and let things play out. I think we know which path they'll take.
Macsen

Post by Macsen »

yoyodude wrote:
She could've overestimated the threat at first. Pete was sealed up before. Now that he's out, certainly Tarot can read him better, and also he'd be aware of her if he's as powerful as she claimed.
RockstarRaccoon
Worst Mod EVER!

IceKitsune wrote:Most likely because Pete is a God and there is nothing they could do about him anyway. That makes me think exactly how are they going to deal with Pete anyway even though he has limits on his powers they most likely aren't enough to allow any of them to stop him from doing whatever he wants.
My opinion is corrupted by Skrawl, where gods ONLY have the powers people give him, but maybe he's actually incapable of doing alot of things on his own. Maybe all he can do is be a meddlesome trickster or whatever until someone enables him to destroy civilization as we know it or whatever. Anyway, that's me getting off topic.
This backs up my theory that more is in play than Tarot has revealed. Obviously she felt that telling Peanut to stop Grape was what she needed to do at the time. Now she feels that it's more important to not have them worrying about it.
mathgrant

Post by mathgrant »

yoyodude wrote:b-b-b-but Tarot is too cute to be evil! :D

I agree with ChewyChewy in that this would make the whole comic way too complex if it actually occured. Also, a crazy big plot like this would seem to hijack the comic sorta. In the beginning we had pets "imaginating" and worrying about the vet, going to the zoo and seeing Uncle Ruben. If the whole comic turns into an epic battle between good and evil (though it almost kinda is) it would take away from the original theme for the comic
I was wondering how to properly describe how different the comic feels now, as opposed to before the "It's a Wonderful Dog's Life" arc, and you seem to have hit the nail on the head, yoyodude. The comic is still episodic and still has punchlines and humor at mostly regular intervals, and the one-offs and arcs like "The Present" keep the comic from becoming too serious, Joel being turned into King seems to be of a much different nature from the earlier arcs about going to the zoo or the vet, or even Fido returning. But what do I know? I'm just an old fogey. :P
RockstarRaccoon
Worst Mod EVER!

mathgrant wrote:I was wondering how to properly describe how different the comic feels now, as opposed to before the "It's a Wonderful Dog's Life" arc, and you seem to have hit the nail on the head, yoyodude. The comic is still episodic and still has punchlines and humor at mostly regular intervals, and the one-offs and arcs like "The Present" keep the comic from becoming too serious, Joel being turned into King seems to be of a much different nature from the earlier arcs about going to the zoo or the vet, or even Fido returning. But what do I know? I'm just an old fogey. :P
I would say that too. I think it's him attempting to throw some serious thriller-type stuff into the comic. He tried it with the Sinister Shadow arc, and then tried it again with more of a fantasy aspect with Pete. It's a good way to do a story, I think: he keeps it entertaining. It's not nonstop happy rainbows and all that, yet you can still take it lightly.
Typhon

Post by Typhon »

That was such a underhanded move by tarot telling King's true nature to his face now lol. She has a jerk side too.
Macsen

Post by Macsen »

If Tarot is evil, then so is Sabrina, since she's in league with her.
Dr. Prower

Post by Dr. Prower »

Come to the Jerk side.
I ship Grape&Peanut and support King&Bailey
Kyderra

Post by Kyderra »

Kitch wrote:If Tarot is evil, then so is Sabrina, since she's in league with her.
well she did turn the most well respected top dog into a cat lover.

map your minds around this one:

Did Tarot tell her it would be okey to meet there?
And if so, did she know Peanut and Grape would be there?
Did that lead to the current events?
Or has Kyderra finally snapped.
"Why would you ever want to connect the dots?"
Sinder

Post by Sinder »

poor fido's crooked little smile gets me every time
ImageImage
ImageImage
Tiggy

Post by Tiggy »

Yup, he's lost it. Take 'im away boys! To the looney-house!
Jason Mraz wrote: My goal is to show everyone that they, too, can do what they love to do.
Daggy wrote: Look a shadowpriest, what a cutie.... POW
Macsen

Post by Macsen »

I think you've snapped. But the coloring job is good. :P

I think you missed a spot in panel 4, though.
JOFOXX

Post by JOFOXX »

Liam wrote:
IceKitsune wrote:
You know I always assumed he was some sort of actual God of some sort (Possibly Marduk (or some Babylonian God) due to the Akkadian Language on his prison.)
The Akkadian language could indicate he's the 5th century BC Persian version of a griffin, what has interesting implications since they considered him a protector from evil and witchcraft.

So, maybe they're both on the side of good (betterment of the neighborhood?), but Pete despises her for her "soft" handling of things, where he's more of a "Utopia justifies the means" guy. Or so.
This sounds like a good theory. Pete hasn't done anything "evil", and I find it hard to look at Tarot as being "evil". It's very possible that they just have different perspectives on the same "good".
RockstarRaccoon
Worst Mod EVER!

Well, despite the title, I kinda said Tarot doesn't have to be evil. What I'm saying is that it's entirely possible that Tarot isn't giving everything away, or that the spirits aren't telling her everything. I have a feeling that if the former is true, we may hear it when Tarot is talking to King in this arc...
Sinder wrote:poor fido's crooked little smile gets me every time
There's no way he can resist her evil mind control powers! lol
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

I've always wondered since Tarot has powers does Sabrina have any as well? (if she does I always thought they might be some sort of empathy type powers) And for that matter are Tarots powers inborn or do they come completely from the Spirits?
Sinder

Post by Sinder »

sabrina can kill people with her mind

it just hasn't come up yet
ImageImage
ImageImage