question about house pets world

Discuss the comic here
RokukeShiba

question about house pets world

Post by RokukeShiba »

Is the animal talking and walking thing a recent thing? like 3-4 years ago?

I mean that is the only way this would make sense. Otherwise the wolves and woodland critters wouldn't be so lost when using human stuff.

I mean Id assume animal villages would be popping up like little animal cottages or huts or animals with spears and bows hunting or farming.

I mean if animals in house pet universe was always like this then wouldn't they be as advance as humans? o.o
SuperStar

Re: question about house pets world

Post by SuperStar »

Rick has stated that Animals have been humanoid for ever. In fact he made a short story about the interactions of the first Human and Cat culture. He also made another short story which displays Coyotes behaving a lot like Native Americans with their culture.
RokukeShiba

Post by RokukeShiba »

SuperStar wrote:Rick has stated that Animals have been humanoid for ever. In fact he made a short story about the interactions of the first Human and Cat culture. He also made another short story which displays Coyotes behaving a lot like Native Americans with their culture.
If that's so then why is the wolf lady ( i forgot her name) so confused about humans? seems out of place if talking animals been around humans for so long. Even then How did dogs come about? you would think smart animals Would object to the whole Breeding their kind into lots of mutations just for looks.
Xane wrote:The cat culture story in particular showed that animals generally see a lot of human things (like preparing for a hurricane) to be foolish and wasteful, thus humans seem to be ahead because (as a whole anyway) they don't "live only in the moment".
So why are there pets if there are cat cultures and coyote cultures that have normal contact with humans? o,o

Mod Edit: If your post is most recent, use the edit button to add more to your post rather than double posting
RokukeShiba

Post by RokukeShiba »

Xane wrote:The Cat Is Domesticated On Cyprus

Housepets is just a cute animal comic, it really doesn't help much to overthink it (though we all do!). But that story does explain cats became domesticated at least once due to their lackadaisical ways. They resisted it, but their mockery of humans backfired so badly they had no choice but to "work for" them and eventually become Housepets!™©®
ok ok I can over think a lot XD

But shows im very interested in this world and comic :3
Obbl
Smiley McSmiles

Post by Obbl »

Here is the Cat Story. (Which Xane linked above)
Here is the Coyote Story

Basically, most animals are sapient, and most mammals are bipedal. This has been so since the dawn of time (or so). Humans are kind of unique in that they are not content with simply what they have. They strive for something better. The animals tend to be less like this. As long as things are "good enough" they have fewer issues with life. Sasha's attitude toward her living conditions with her owner and Bailey's response to being relocated to Babylon Gardens are pretty good in-comic examples. Now Bailey was still upset by her family giving her away, but she doesn't feel the indignation that King (being formerly human) does.
As for why the wolves seem to be not as familiar with human culture is actually kind of explained, I thought :? Miles explains that the wolves grew up away from human culture. The coyote story helps explain how this works. Even Peanut has the misconception of "the wild" as some noble and grand life, but it isn't. Now, as we can see here, it's not a universal trait that animals merely accept life as it is without wanting more. Feral life is hard. But even here we see ingenuity. For example here in the first panel next to the bed we see the set up for a simple but effective space heater using common items that humans throw out regularly (or are unlikely to miss the loss of one or two).
Why do the animals not advance any faster? Well, for one thing, their life spans are much shorter. According to the coyote story, dogs and cats can live up to 40 years, but in the wild, they often only live 15. Considering they are busy dealing with general survival, it seems reasonable that not much advancement is accomplished in a feral animal's lifetime. And again, if the prevailing trend was to accept life as it is and not put effort into changing the way things are, it makes it very understandable that animal culture does not advance very much.

Now there are a lot of questions that this universe raises. Rick has stated that this universe is basically ours with animals that think and reason like we do. This can open the door to some serious fridge horror if you delve too deeply, and Rick does touch on that occasionally. That's part of what makes this universe intriguing (beyond the excellent characters and storytelling).

Hope I answered some of your questions. :D
valerio

Post by valerio »

Obbl wrote:Here is the Cat Story. (Which Xane linked above)
Here is the Coyote Story

Basically, most animals are sapient, and most mammals are bipedal. This has been so since the dawn of time (or so). Humans are kind of unique in that they are not content with simply what they have. They strive for something better. The animals tend to be less like this. As long as things are "good enough" they have fewer issues with life. Sasha's attitude toward her living conditions with her owner and Bailey's response to being relocated to Babylon Gardens are pretty good in-comic examples. Now Bailey was still upset by her family giving her away, but she doesn't feel the indignation that King (being formerly human) does.
As for why the wolves seem to be not as familiar with human culture is actually kind of explained, I thought :? Miles explains that the wolves grew up away from human culture. The coyote story helps explain how this works. Even Peanut has the misconception of "the wild" as some noble and grand life, but it isn't. Now, as we can see here, it's not a universal trait that animals merely accept life as it is without wanting more. Feral life is hard. But even here we see ingenuity. For example here in the first panel next to the bed we see the set up for a simple but effective space heater using common items that humans throw out regularly (or are unlikely to miss the loss of one or two).
Why do the animals not advance any faster? Well, for one thing, their life spans are much shorter. According to the coyote story, dogs and cats can live up to 40 years, but in the wild, they often only live 15. Considering they are busy dealing with general survival, it seems reasonable that not much advancement is accomplished in a feral animal's lifetime. And again, if the prevailing trend was to accept life as it is and not put effort into changing the way things are, it makes it very understandable that animal culture does not advance very much.
Now there are a lot of questions that this universe raises. Rick has stated that this universe is basically ours with animals that think and reason like we do. This can open the door to some serious fridge horror if you delve too deeply, and Rick does touch on that occasionally. That's part of what makes this universe intriguing (beyond the excellent characters and storytelling).
Hope I answered some of your questions. :D
It should be added to this much helpful explanation that so far we haven't met explicit examples of complex animal societies, but we *do* know that in Africa Leopards (still unknown if other animals are involved, but it's likely) created a society that not only resisted human influence, but also gained a diplomatic status: FERAGA, currently led by Prince Jata. Feraga is a micronation, but it's likely others stiille exist deep in the wild -The Amazon Forest, the inner areas of continental Asia, Australia, islands, etc. it has the potentiality to manage an industry and make progresses.
What else remain to be discovered? A whole world, I guess.
But if it makes you feel better, at least in Japan tanukis are full citizens, and they have complete access to all human programs. Even if most people don't know it.
it is quite possible that, had this status lasted for long enough time, tanukis might have a lifespan of up to 45-50 years thanks to the benefits of better food and medical care generation after generation
rickgriffin
Site Admin

Post by rickgriffin »

Xane wrote:One more slightly less relevant story of Housepets! history, just to go along with the others:

Cats are so annoying they even drive each other mad :P
Oh hey, thanks for reminding me that this existed

I'm considering republishing it now
I'm sure the cold hand of science will be able to overcome his magical powers
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

You should! I just love reading your short stories.
SuperStar

Post by SuperStar »

Xane wrote:
rickgriffin wrote:
Xane wrote:One more slightly less relevant story of Housepets! history, just to go along with the others:

Cats are so annoying they even drive each other mad :P
Oh hey, thanks for reminding me that this existed

I'm considering republishing it now
I remembered there were three, dug around last year to see if there were any more but never found anything. Everyone seems to post the coyote story all the time and forget the other two. Would love to see more stuff like this. I know you have to cut out a lot to keep things streamlined for a 3x weekly comic to keep it from becoming a full graphic novel a month, but I like to pick your brain for more details of this weird little world. ;) Also would love to see a pic to go along with the coyote story! I don't think we've seen a Housepets!-yote yet...
I'm curious about if there where any differences in the Revolutionary War in the Housepets! universe.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

I don't think Rick ever expected Housepets! to be his universe with the most established backstory. :P Then again that's what fans are for. To ask the ridiculously pedantic questions to force him to come up with this stuff!
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I'm the kind of person who likes to come up with those kind of questions because I wanna see how the backstory is all played out.
Silly Zealot

Post by Silly Zealot »

Sleet wrote:I don't think Rick ever expected Housepets! to be his universe with the most established backstory. :P Then again that's what fans are for. To ask the ridiculously pedantic questions to force him to come up with this stuff!
*Gasp* That description you made summarizes my entire existence!
20th century fox? Given that this is the year 2020, that fox must be dead by now. Sadface! : (

I'm telling you, hyenas ARE canines too!
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

At least it explains my existence a bit.
Foxstar
BIG BROTHER IS WATCHING YOU

Post by Foxstar »

Sleet wrote:I don't think Rick ever expected Housepets! to be his universe with the most established backstory. :P Then again that's what fans are for. To ask the ridiculously pedantic questions to force him to come up with this stuff!

As the furret has spoken before and I will speak now, Housepets is a experiment.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I don't think he even expected it to last as long as it did either.
Douglas Collier

Post by Douglas Collier »

Does anyone have the original text for the stories? The stories no longer appear to be on the site.
Douglas isn't my real name, but because of a name block put on me by a higher-order being known as Djinni, I can't say my real name.
Champion Wallace

Post by Champion Wallace »

Sansash does. You can find them all (well, the three that were publicly available) here: http://www.housepetscomic.com/forums/vi ... f=2&t=3926
The cape comes with the promotion.
Douglas Collier

Post by Douglas Collier »

Thanks!
Douglas isn't my real name, but because of a name block put on me by a higher-order being known as Djinni, I can't say my real name.