Remember I said I would do a family tree for The Wolves

Discuss the comic here
hypernovatic

Re: Remember I said I would do a family tree for The Wolves

Post by hypernovatic »

Just wondering. Am I the only one who can't remember which wolf cub is which?
My RP characters
FEAR THE HALLOWEEN BAT
Obbl
Smiley McSmiles

Post by Obbl »

Xane wrote:I also figured the way she's clinging to Uncle Deadeye for protection at the zoo means she's either his daughter or granddaughter.
Right, and then Rodney's cub refers to Uncle Deadeye as Grampa Deadeye
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

That is true, but I think my family tree is a lot more better to use until Rick comes out and does a whole family tree. This one just seems too broken up.
ChekeBello

Post by ChekeBello »

About Miles'cubs, Darth Vader Sanchez is easiest one to tell apart, blue eyes and the shortest of them.
I think the tallest, with yellow eyes, is North Star (b4: Deathaxe)
And the one in the middle, with amber eyes, is Rockstar Hawk (b4:Space Laser)
In the cast page, I think the pic is telling us the name of the only cub who didnt tell his name b4 (in fact I think his name has never been said in the comic at all, only the tags)

About the tree, both have valid points, we are not 100% sure about it, so with all the info we know for sure, the Tree like the one Xane describes. BUT, Amazee's tree looks complete, and is has been always told is not a confirmed one; still it makes sense. (And i personally think is not far for the reality).

I will make a pictured tree based on Xane's too. Is not about who is right or not, just to have better display of the information we know for sure, or the one we speculate about.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

At least with having something, people (and Rick) don't forget about how they are related (like Rick forgetting Bino's dads name...)
Foxstar
BIG BROTHER IS WATCHING YOU

Post by Foxstar »

I really don't think forgets as much as you think he does.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Well if he wanted to change the name, I wish he had made a note. x.x
Obbl
Smiley McSmiles

Post by Obbl »

Um... it was a mistake, that he made one time, which he has since corrected. Rick hasn't had any other naming errors at all that I'm aware of, so continuing to bring it up as something that Rick needs to be reminded about is really reaching in my opinion :P

And yes, I agree that though we don't know 100% for certain that the family tree is perfectly accurate, Occam's Razor suggests that we accept a tree that keeps everyone fairly closely related and treat things like "Grampa" and "Uncle" as literal cues from the author instead of more vague titles with little true familial meaning when we have no reason to suspect so.
Champion Wallace

Post by Champion Wallace »

Yes, I know It has been over three years since the previous post, but I have something to add.

Originally, Miles was the one who introduced the wolf pack to the other characters (and us) so I think its reasonable to assume titles default to be in relation to Miles. The tags refer to Deadeye and Rodney as Uncle Deadeye and Cousin Rodney respectively (Cousin Rodney's tag was shortened to just "Rodney" at the transition to the new site in 2016). Them being Mile's uncle and cousin would be consistent with Miles' cubs calling Deadeye (gr)Uncle Deadeye and Rodney's cubs calling him Grampa Deadeye.

My stance on Rodney's side of the family is Rodney is Deadeye's son and Natalie is Snow and Rodney's first daughter. Deadeye, Rodney and Natalie all share the unusual (for Mile's pack) brown coat. Based on Natalie's appearance I'd say she looks younger then Miles, but older then his cubs. Her personality is like an edgy teenager (in development, not years-old because of the messy animal-year/human-year conversion). This relationship would explain why Natalie is so angry in This Was About Christmas?; She doesn't want her parents to embarrass her by acting so mushy in front of everyone else. Also, Natalie clinging to Deadeye in From The Inside Out makes sense if Deadeye is her grandpa. In Even More Secrets we find out Miles is her uncle which confirms she is in the generation below him, though before that we could've assumed as much because she clearly looks too young to be Rodney's sister or aunt. The only complication is I had Miles as her... er, second uncle, I guess? I suppose that could be shortened to uncle.

Previously, people have mentioned that Jack and Poncho are brothers and that Daryl has an alleged coyote cousin, but I don't remember either being stated in the comic. Could someone please refresh me as to where those are.

Edit: Fixed a bunch of spelling and grammar stuff as well as corrected who had the alleged coyote cousin.
Last edited by Champion Wallace on Sat Jul 28, 2018 4:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
The cape comes with the promotion.
Dissension

Post by Dissension »

Champion Wallace wrote:Previously, people have mentioned that Jack and Poncho are brothers and that Jack has an alleged coyote cousin, but I don't remember either being stated in the comic. Could someone please refresh me as to where those are.
They're not.

people are the only things that matter; take care of yourselves and each other
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

Nothing has been explicitly said about Jack and Poncho being related, though honestly I thought that, too. I was just wondering if that was the case or he's a sort of tag-along. Also, Darryl has a coyote cousin, not Jack.
Faith doesn't change circumstances. Faith changes me.
Champion Wallace

Post by Champion Wallace »

I finally found where the coyote cousin was referenced.
I guess the coyote would also be Miles and Other Daryl's cousin because that's how the title cousin works (though it's hard to tell how to interpret this because taken literally it disregards genetics. On the other hand this is Housepets! with sapient animals and intersperses dating. Maybe they are actually his cousin-in-law).
The cape comes with the promotion.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Actually, wolves hate coyotes. They'll chase and try to kill them whenever they meet. There's a theory - I don't know now accepted - that the spread of coyotes eastward is due partly to the revival of wolf populations in the west....

But, as we know from reading Housepets, " love is a wonderful thing!". So why not a coyote cousin?
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

We directly saw Natalie with romantic crushes on domestic dogs, and Miles seems pretty okay with it as well, so in this universe, a wolf and coyote getting together doesn't seem unlikely. It can actually happen in our reality, but seems that it's a result of a changing environment.
Faith doesn't change circumstances. Faith changes me.
rickgriffin
Site Admin

Post by rickgriffin »

NHWestoN wrote:Actually, wolves hate coyotes. They'll chase and try to kill them whenever they meet. There's a theory - I don't know now accepted - that the spread of coyotes eastward is due partly to the revival of wolf populations in the west....

But, as we know from reading Housepets, " love is a wonderful thing!". So why not a coyote cousin?
In several regions wolves will crossbreed with coyotes, presumable due to low population groups. They're called coywolves.
I'm sure the cold hand of science will be able to overcome his magical powers
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

I got the "wolves hate coyotes" line from a Yellowstone ranger long ago. Coyotes interbreed with domestic dogs, as well. Love's a wonderful thing, eh? (I know ... I said that ... Always worth repeating.)