Biology of Housepets!

Discuss the comic here
herobrineharry

Biology of Housepets!

Post by herobrineharry »

So, exactly how is it that these animals are, well, anthropomorphic? Shouldn't their bodies malfunction?
Forward, the Light Brigade!'
Was there a man dismay'd?
Not tho'(though) the soldiers knew
  Some one had blunder'd:
Theirs not to make reply,
Theirs not to reason why,
Theirs but to do and die:
Into the valley of Death
  Rode the six hundred.
Hlaoroo
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!

Re: Biology of Housepets!

Post by Hlaoroo »

Why should they malfunction? It's not as though they're just animals from our world who've had a few joints rotated. If, in this world, the animals evolved to be anthropomorphic then it would make sense for them to evolve ways to counter any malfunctions or disadvantages that might have arisen.

Besides, if you say anthropomorphosisation is impossible and should be written out of animal-related stories then you've basically just broken the furry fandom. :P

Long story short, don't think about it too much. Yes, this could never happen in the real world but in the world of the imagination you're limited only by, well, your imagination so anything, including bipedal talking animals is possible!
Frostwood Forever! <3

My RP Characters

Avatar drawn by the amazing ScruffKerfluff!

Douglas Collier

Post by Douglas Collier »

One thing I've been contemplating is the "stompygrade" configuration of the legs and arms. I've been thinking that the tibia connects in the middle of the paw/foot; this would give the foot extra leverage in jumping or running. I imagine the stockier forearms make for more mass behind a swing (a more powerful punch/strike).
Douglas isn't my real name, but because of a name block put on me by a higher-order being known as Djinni, I can't say my real name.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Because it's a cartoon that doesn't attempt to make consistent scientific sense.
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
Douglas Collier

True, but it's fun to speculate about. I imagine that the root ancestor of all bipedal animals in the HP! universe evolved to stand on two legs as a way of seeing over tall grass or shrubbery.
Douglas isn't my real name, but because of a name block put on me by a higher-order being known as Djinni, I can't say my real name.
Saturn381

Post by Saturn381 »

Sleet wrote:Because it's a cartoon that doesn't attempt to make consistent scientific sense.
This. So much of this.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Definitely agree with Sleet. If you try to think too hard about it, you basically take all the fun out of the comic.
Douglas Collier

What? But if you're not speculating about every little detail of a webcomic universe, how can you call yourself a truly obsessed fan? :)

Seriously, though - I find it fun to speculate about the Housepets! universe. I guess you could say it's my way of fanfic-ing. Also, it keeps me from obsessing about the characters and their screen time, relationships, etc. :P
Last edited by Douglas Collier on Sun Apr 12, 2015 7:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HoundInATree

Post by HoundInATree »

Douglas Collier wrote:True, but it's fun to speculate about. I imagine that the root ancestor of all bipedal animals in the HP! universe evolved to stand on two legs as a way of seeing over tall grass or shrubbery.
It was the front gate, to see if the postman was coming.

Although speculating to much can obscure the story from the reader.
My tree now has a café in it. Yay?
Hlaoroo wrote:In Soviet Russia, TreeInAHound!

RP Character(s)
Albert Grant, Sunset Plateau
Larkin Dewolfe, Chivalry Residences
Hlaoroo
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!

Post by Hlaoroo »

Meercats. All Housepets species are definitely descended from meercats. That's why they're all so adorable. :P

I'm with Doug here though. There's no need to over-analyse or obsess over it but speculating on absurd theories is fun. :D There's no need for extremes on either end of the spectrum, I think.
Frostwood Forever! <3

My RP Characters

Douglas Collier

Douglas Collier wrote:One thing I've been contemplating is the "stompygrade" configuration of the legs and arms. I've been thinking that the tibia connects in the middle of the paw/foot; this would give the foot extra leverage in jumping or running. I imagine the stockier forearms make for more mass behind a swing (a more powerful punch/strike).
A very simple diagram of what I mean:

This configuration would help the claws dig into dirt and make for better traction when running.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

That actually looks really nice Doug!
GreatKitsune

Post by GreatKitsune »

Hlaoroo wrote: Besides, if you say anthropomorphosisation is impossible and should be written out of animal-related stories then you've basically just broken the furry fandom. :P

Long story short, don't think about it too much. Yes, this could never happen in the real world but in the world of the imagination you're limited only by, well, your imagination so anything, including bipedal talking animals is possible!
Actually, I think I read somewhere that scientists at some university were working on a project to grow a bipedal cow. It only lived about a month, tho.
Hello, low order beings!

Community Involvement, peepoll!
Someone wise once wrote:I wish I could ride a magical girl's purple flying unicorn to Narnia through Lebouff's Shire, the land of trololol.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

The thing about the HP! universe is that if you over-analyze it, it's actually pretty terrifying.
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
Kyuunado

Post by Kyuunado »

Terrifying, yes, but think about how athletic our postmen would be if the dogs could do parkour! :lol:
The nine-tailed Kitsune of England.
I am Kyuunado Fureatsurī!
Want to talk? PM me or message at [email protected] and add me on Google+
HoundInATree

Post by HoundInATree »

You'd have fetchdogs instead of postmen.

RP Character(s)
Douglas Collier

Of course being bipedal and having relatively short legs has its disadvantages - they wouldn't be able to run as fast as the dogs of this universe.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

They would be able to run just as fast as young kids in our universe.
Douglas Collier

Young kids can run pretty fast.
1071-CCN

Post by 1071-CCN »

The whole world is just a fiction-within-a-fiction, and the "reality" is that they're all just characters in a roleplaying game played by the "celestials." Of course, now you have to explain why they are anthropomorphic... ;)
This account is a copy of that of my Cross Time Cafe account, which I use to discuss Freefall on its forum.
HoundInATree

Post by HoundInATree »

Well, the celestial part is beyond our mortal understanding so we had to focus our efforts else where.

RP Character(s)
SuperStar

Post by SuperStar »

1071-CCN wrote:The whole world is just a fiction-within-a-fiction, and the "reality" is that they're all just characters in a roleplaying game played by the "celestials." Of course, now you have to explain why they are anthropomorphic... ;)
The characters aren't "just in the roleplaying game", it's stated that the Griffon and the Dragon just chose that dimension to be their battleground, not that they created it for that purpose. Unless I'm mistaken, Pete and Dragon can't even create life, they can only alter it.
GreatKitsune

Post by GreatKitsune »

SuperStar wrote:
1071-CCN wrote:The whole world is just a fiction-within-a-fiction, and the "reality" is that they're all just characters in a roleplaying game played by the "celestials." Of course, now you have to explain why they are anthropomorphic... ;)
The characters aren't "just in the roleplaying game", it's stated that the Griffon and the Dragon just chose that dimension to be their battleground, not that they created it for that purpose. Unless I'm mistaken, Pete and Dragon can't even create life, they can only alter it.
But can Kitsune?

Mmmaaayyybbbeee.
Hello, low order beings!

Someone wise once wrote:I wish I could ride a magical girl's purple flying unicorn to Narnia through Lebouff's Shire, the land of trololol.
SuperStar

Post by SuperStar »

GreatKitsune wrote:
SuperStar wrote:
But can Kitsune?

Mmmaaayyybbbeee.

Heeesss oooonnn theeeeee saaame leveeeeel.

Just, you know, FYI.
GreatKitsune

Post by GreatKitsune »

SuperStar wrote:
GreatKitsune wrote:
But can Kitsune?

Mmmaaayyybbbeee.

Heeesss oooonnn theeeeee saaame leveeeeel.

Just, you know, FYI.
I know. It was just a joke.
Hello, low order beings!

SuperStar

Post by SuperStar »

I guessed you knew, I just couldn't give up the chance to uuuuuuseeee theeeeee voooooiiiiceeee! :D

Anyway, back on topic.
1071-CCN

Post by 1071-CCN »

SuperStar wrote:
Okay, but then what was up with the time we saw the Dragon living in what appears to be an ordinary teenager's bedroom, looking normal-sized? Could someone explain that, or is it best to remain a mystery?
This account is a copy of that of my Cross Time Cafe account, which I use to discuss Freefall on its forum.
Dissension

Post by Dissension »

Is that how you perceived The Spirit Dragon and her lair? Fascinating...

people are the only things that matter; take care of yourselves and each other
Hlaoroo
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!

Post by Hlaoroo »

They have magical powers. They are higher order beings after all. They can make themselves whatever size and shape they want.

Back on topic though, after looking at Doug's diagram and comparing it to the characters in the comic, and after having pondered it and compared it to what I know of anatomy, I can see how it works. Mechanically and anatomically speaking their hind limbs will be closer to that of humans than animals in our world which makes a lot of sense when you think about it.
Frostwood Forever! <3

My RP Characters

Douglas Collier

My question: Do the animals have fur on the palms of their hands? I wonder because that'd make them harder to keep clean.
Obbl
Smiley McSmiles

Post by Obbl »

It would certainly appear that way
Hlaoroo
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!

Post by Hlaoroo »

I'd say they do but I don't think it's thick, poofy stuff on the handpaws. It would be flatter, thinner stuff like you see on paws in dogs in our world, I think.
Rabbits actually don't have pawpads even in our world so for them they'll definitely have fur there.
Frostwood Forever! <3

My RP Characters

Douglas Collier

Aha! An evolutionary chain! Ok, so we can probably assume that bipedalism came first, and either fluffy pads or bare hands (mice, oppossums, etc.) developed afterward. I'm guessing that fluffy paws developed in order to maximize dexterity (lack of a thick pad) while ensuring warmth in a cold environment.
Foxstar
BIG BROTHER IS WATCHING YOU

Post by Foxstar »

If your wondering how they eat and sleep and other science fact. Repeat to yourself "It's just a cartoon.", you should really just relax.
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

Quit being a buzkill. Some of us actually like reading his theories you know.
Most important thing I've learned from D&D?
No matter how tempting it may be, as a DM I can't both present a problem and solve it.
Every time a DMPC or NPC fixes something a payer couldn't i'm diminishing and undermining that player's contribution.
Hlaoroo
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!

Post by Hlaoroo »

I agree. Some of us actually use this as a way to relax and have fun, you know, Fox.
Douglas Collier wrote:Aha! An evolutionary chain! Ok, so we can probably assume that bipedalism came first, and either fluffy pads or bare hands (mice, oppossums, etc.) developed afterward. I'm guessing that fluffy paws developed in order to maximize dexterity (lack of a thick pad) while ensuring warmth in a cold environment.
One thing I have seen in furry art is rather than having a thick pad, the pad of the handpaw is more a patch of tough, hardened skin. That way you still get maximal dexterity while having maximal protection from the pad. I wonder if that would be in the chain anywhere and what would have influenced its development or die-off.
Frostwood Forever! <3

My RP Characters

RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

Post by RandomGeekNamedBrent »

Hlaoroo wrote: One thing I have seen in furry art is rather than having a thick pad, the pad of the handpaw is more a patch of tough, hardened skin.
so sort of like callouses on humans?
Paradigm Shift by me
I do not actually believe any of what I'm saying.
RP character sheets
Hlaoroo
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!

Post by Hlaoroo »

Well, not really. It's pigmented like a pad and in the shape of a pad, it's just a lot flatter.
Frostwood Forever! <3

My RP Characters

deep winter

Post by deep winter »

Buster wrote:Quit being a buzkill. Some of us actually like reading his theories you know.
I second that.
Douglas Collier wrote:Aha! An evolutionary chain! Ok, so we can probably assume that bipedalism came first, and either fluffy pads or bare hands (mice, oppossums, etc.) developed afterward. I'm guessing that fluffy paws developed in order to maximize dexterity (lack of a thick pad) while ensuring warmth in a cold environment.
What if it wasnt evolution?, What if It was ALIENS? :)
A theaory worthy of Agent Mulder of the X-Files.(at least what I think that is something he would Say)

Mod Edit: Please use the edit button to avoid double posting if you have more to add and your post is most recent
SuperStar

Post by SuperStar »

deep winter wrote:
What if it wasnt evolution?, What if It was ALIENS? :)
A theaory worthy of Agent Mulder of the X-Files.(at least what I think that is something he would Say)
Grape seems to disagree, https://www.housepetscomic.com/2008/10/ ... rathustra/
:P