Things you finally noticed on rereading

Discuss the comic here
Zack_the_husky

Re: Things you finally noticed on rereading

Post by Zack_the_husky »

Touche.

...Though, I'm finding it interesting to note that he only seems to wear that specific shirt(Or that specific color of shirt?) on two occasions: Said wedding, and when he's bringing Zach into the picture.

But, hey, I guess weird coincidences are a possibility.

Even though it seems like colors are supposed to mean something in this comic to at least somewhat of a degree...
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Maybe he doesn't own many clean shirts ...
Champion Wallace

Post by Champion Wallace »

Sergeant Ralph's tail color is consistent within an arc, but every so often it will switch to the dark brown of his back and muzzle or the lighter brown of the rest of him. Some of this could be attributed to the dorsal side of his tail being darker then the ventral, but definitely not every instance.
May 18, 2009

August 9, 2010

April 8, 2013

October 28, 2013

April 23, 2014

December 29, 2017

Edit: added dates and links.
Last edited by Champion Wallace on Sun Jul 22, 2018 4:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
The cape comes with the promotion.
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

Post by RandomGeekNamedBrent »

every time it's different the story is taking place in another universe where everything is the same except for Ralph's tail color. also he's slightly bigger
Paradigm Shift by me
I do not actually believe any of what I'm saying.
RP character sheets
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

What did Pete mean when he mentioned off-handedly to King, " Don't worry about Sasha, she is protected." Was Sasha going to have a bigger role in the great contest than she eventually played? Or is this a hint of a yet-to-be backstory about our ditzy, long-suffering enchantress?
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

NHWestoN wrote:What did Pete mean when he mentioned off-handedly to King, " Don't worry about Sasha, she is protected." Was Sasha going to have a bigger role in the great contest than she eventually played? Or is this a hint of a yet-to-be backstory about our ditzy, long-suffering enchantress?
My guess would be either an idea that never came to fruition or just something he said because he could without meaning anything. It was Year 2 and everything was still being developed.
Housepets! Fan Fiction By Fenrir Black M.A.
There is a price to pay for defying fate.
Bandit1990

Post by Bandit1990 »

On my first read I took it as Pete just brushing off the issue so King wouldn't worry.

Check out Lightning Dogs on the Nerdyshow Podcast Network

It's an in-development animated series following a team of Anthro-Dogs trapped in the Wastelands of a ruined Earth.
Obbl
Smiley McSmiles

Post by Obbl »

Bandit1990 wrote:On my first read I took it as Pete just brushing off the issue so King wouldn't worry.
Same
Like "Don't worry about Sasha waking up and accidentally overhearing or getting involved in any way" or some such
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

I heard a bit more in Pete's comment than you and Bandit did, partly because it came in the context of Sasha's "Daddy" locking her out in the frigid night and our awareness that he treats he badly as a routine. So I assumed that some Celestial had resolved to guard her from deadly harm. And, like Fen, I wondered if this comment might hint of some future role for Sasha that Rick decided not to elaborate after all.

......yet.

But, as you and Bandit indicated, maybe that's all there ever was. However you might conjecture about its "deeper implications", King's curbside "sleep-over" with Sasha remains one of those moments of unexpected tenderness that keep us all reading the comic. Regards.
Elwood Blutarsky

Post by Elwood Blutarsky »

King built Sasha a heated doghouse after that to assure that scene never repeated...maybe Pete actually foresaw that coming.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

That's a novel theory ... Subtle and it makes sense.
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

Hmmm.... Well played.
dontebell

Post by dontebell »

I believe that the Dragon is disguising as one these cats

Bill in OK

Post by Bill in OK »

JonnyNova wrote:https://www.housepetscomic.com/2010/08/18/in-bed/

"Three years from now when you nearly drown"
So Rick Griffin had the Jungle Fever arc planned 3 years before it happened. Also there's a comic in that arc called "wettest fur contest", referencing this strip again!
Dang, Rick. Well played.
That's not too unusual. Arthur Conan Doyle used that gimmick a lot, making references to some of Sherlock Holmes's cases well in advance of their actual stories.
King looks an awful lot like my own Corgi. That's one reason why he's my favorite, but I also like his attitude.
Castlemight

Post by Castlemight »

Image The torn poster is of Peanut
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

One of Maxwell's rare sweeter moments just after he bares his hurts to the world ... always got a smile out of this episode.
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

I love how the posters are suddenly blank in the fourth scene.
Castlemight

Post by Castlemight »

Daisy, of all dogs, is quite buff. Look at those guns.Image
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Not to mention ... intelligent ... and articulate ... and insightful. She sure startled Fox and friend. :D
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

This is clearly foreshadowing. I mean this is the first thing he says when he first appears in the comic. Considering what happens to him for the next ten years...
Tappy Too

Post by Tappy Too »

I was going back to some of the older arcs and noticed this was different. At first i thought i was just crazy but then i remembered that i saved the old version of the pic to use for a King voice reel a while ago.

I'm not sure as to why it's different now, or when this happened but it's intriguing...
Not like it's a bad thing either though, don't get me wrong-
https://www.housepetscomic.com/wp-conte ... -you-2.png

(I don't know how to post pictures here like most of you guys do it without it being an attachment so this is how I'm doing it for now)
Attachments
Edited King.png
Edited King.png (101.02 KiB) Viewed 28664 times
Gameb18oy
Game Master

Post by Gameb18oy »

Huh, that is odd, the punchline in the one you showed seemed funnier to me
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

Maybe Rick thought that the viewable situation made King's last lines sort of redundant? Could also be the humor of the jump cut felt better to him without that dialogue.
Faith doesn't change circumstances. Faith changes me.
Champion Wallace

Post by Champion Wallace »

Tappy Too wrote:I was going back to some of the older arcs and noticed this was different. At first i thought i was just crazy but then i remembered that i saved the old version of the pic to use for a King voice reel a while ago.

I'm not sure as to why it's different now, or when this happened but it's intriguing...

(I don't know how to post pictures here like most of you guys do it without it being an attachment so this is how I'm doing it for now)
Story time!
So, when the comic went up, it had the longer text in the last panel ("Or, yeah, you could do this. ANYONE could do this... I am SUCH an idiot"), but about an hour after launch, people started suggesting it would be better with fewer or no words in the last panel. Two hours after launch, Rick Griffin admitted that he wanted to remove all ambiguity, but felt he "stepped on the punchline" so he changed the strip (to "I am such an idiot"). 15 minutes after that, he posted again clarifying his reasoning for the change. That would be the end of the story, but when the new site was implemented on July 4, 2016, for reasons unknown to me, the original picture was uploaded instead of the updated version (my guess is someone grabbed the wrong image file; my impression of the site transition was it was a bit chaotic getting everything up and running). It lasted like that until sometime after June 19, 2018 when it was re-replaced with the version with the less text in the last panel and that is what persists through today.

As for posting pictures from your computer, you need an account on a third party hosting site to do that, but because that method done cheaply deletes the images from the forums after long enough and the attachment feature is available and works almost as well, I recommend just sticking with that.
The cape comes with the promotion.
Gameb18oy
Game Master

Post by Gameb18oy »

D-Rock wrote:Is it just me, but did the kangaroos get a bit of a redesign? Specifically their legs. Or is it just me?
http://www.housepetscomic.com/comic/201 ... -over-yet/
http://www.housepetscomic.com/comic/201 ... hot-water/

As compared to how they look now.
kissletoe.png
Their legs seems much more plantigrade now.
Is it just me, or do they look a little like one of the trial designs of West of Heaven? I’m honestly not confident but wanted to ask
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

Champion Wallace wrote:
Tappy Too wrote:I was going back to some of the older arcs and noticed this was different. At first i thought i was just crazy but then i remembered that i saved the old version of the pic to use for a King voice reel a while ago.

Story time!
So, when the comic went up, it had the longer text in the last panel ("Or, yeah, you could do this. ANYONE could do this... I am SUCH an idiot"), but about an hour after launch, people started suggesting it would be better with fewer or no words in the last panel. Two hours after launch, Rick Griffin admitted that he wanted to remove all ambiguity, but felt he "stepped on the punchline" so he changed the strip (to "I am such an idiot"). 15 minutes after that, he posted again clarifying his reasoning for the change. That would be the end of the story, but when the new site was implemented on July 4, 2016, for reasons unknown to me, the original picture was uploaded instead of the updated version (my guess is someone grabbed the wrong image file; my impression of the site transition was it was a bit chaotic getting everything up and running). It lasted like that until sometime after June 19, 2018 when it was re-replaced with the version with the less text in the last panel and that is what persists through today.

As for posting pictures from your computer, you need an account on a third party hosting site to do that, but because that method done cheaply deletes the images from the forums after long enough and the attachment feature is available and works almost as well, I recommend just sticking with that.
That’s interesting because he put the updated version (the bad one) In the actual physical copy of year 3. I’m glad I saved the old one too.
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

Post by RandomGeekNamedBrent »

Champion Wallace wrote: It lasted like that until sometime after June 19, 2018 when it was re-replaced with the version with the less text in the last panel and that is what persists through today.
for completeness sake, I can tell you Rick switched it back over to the final version on October 1 when Obbl pointed it out to him.
and for accuracy, there were a few strips like this, with second version uploaded after the fact, and both versions went into the archive on the new site. Obbl gave Rick a list of all the duplicate strips, but for this and one other strip the wrong one got deleted and stayed up until recently. Obbl can probably let you know what the other one was, and I'll just see how many times I can type Obbl without it being annoying.
Obbl
Paradigm Shift by me
I do not actually believe any of what I'm saying.
RP character sheets
Douglas Collier

Post by Douglas Collier »

Obbl will never be annoying to read. :P

I’ve just been looking at how much more complicated Housepets has gotten since the early days. Not that it’s a bad thing, but definitely not as simple as it was at the beginning.
Douglas isn't my real name, but because of a name block put on me by a higher-order being known as Djinni, I can't say my real name.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Agreed on all counts, Doug, and I much enjoy the extended stories. But also miss some of the zaniness of the first years, especially with Peanut and Grape. Such is life and literature, eh?
Ruska

Post by Ruska »

I'm sure other people made this connection before as it's pretty obvious in retrospect, but I only just put the pieces together.
It looks like Breel was hit and killed by a train during the construction of the transcontinental railroad.
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

I had this suspicion since the Rufus kiss, but Maxwell may have actually been a barn cat at the sandwich household when he was younger and moved out at some point. Going to hold onto that theory. x3

Also, I knew my mind wasn't playing tricks on me. Max's tummy fur grew in One Cat's Treasure. Grape's tummy fur grew in the short but sweet Pillow Fort arc. :3
3 words - Liquid Metal Fur
Tappy Too

Post by Tappy Too »

I don't know if this has already been said but, when Bino calls Fido "Lord Byron" is that a reference to the romantic poet Lord Byron (or Baron Byron)?

In his time, Lord Byron was very well known too. Popular even. So the connection does make sense.

It's canon that Bino reads poetry.
Gameb18oy
Game Master

Post by Gameb18oy »

Tappy Too wrote:I don't know if this has already been said but, when Bino calls Fido "Lord Byron" is that a reference to the romantic poet Lord Byron (or Baron Byron)?

In his time, Lord Byron was very well known too. Popular even. So the connection does make sense.

It's canon that Bino reads poetry.
Finally, a good trait associated with Bino, was bound to happen eventually
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

That is a pretty cool connection. I thought that Fido's surname was already "Byron," though, but that would make it better if Bino was aware of Baron Byron with that commentary.
Faith doesn't change circumstances. Faith changes me.
Gameb18oy
Game Master

Post by Gameb18oy »

Speaking of Bino, rereading revealed two details I somehow missed while reading the first time:
1. Joey is also Fido’s brother, guess it’s genetic if Bino breaks up with Duchess for a rabbit or something.
2. Bino tried to be a police dog
Attachments
8A273003-FAFA-4C3F-B1D4-1CC32773A1B0.png
8A273003-FAFA-4C3F-B1D4-1CC32773A1B0.png (207.39 KiB) Viewed 28308 times
Saturn381

Post by Saturn381 »

This is something that just dawned on me with Pete and Dragon. Their names are a reference to the movie Pete's Dragon.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I just realized that the 2016 movie was a remake of the 1977 movie just from reading that! :mrgreen:
Zesortinge

Post by Zesortinge »

Peanut is wearing a paper bag shirt in the first comic with ninjas in it.
I have ideas and I occasionally put them down.
furrygamer793

Post by furrygamer793 »

This might seem random and useless, but in the first few comics, the illustration on Grape's paper bag has a moon on it.
How did I only just notice this?
Rp characters
Greetings, fellow sapient beings.
Postcard

Post by Postcard »

In the Jungle Fever arc, when Grape is pretending to be Concord, her chin fur is combed out to make it look like she has a beard. I thought that was interesting because you typically don't see those kinds of human-like secondary sex characteristics in the comic, aside from most girls having pronounced eyelashes, and I don't know if Rick has done that before or since.