Things you finally noticed on rereading

Discuss the comic here
Buster
Game Master

Re: Things you finally noticed on rereading

Post by Buster »

wait, king and fox was a ship for a while?

i mean i suppose i can see that from fox, what with his relationship with mungo lately, and his trying oddly hard to make bino happy early on, but king never struck me as swinging that way.
Most important thing I've learned from D&D?
No matter how tempting it may be, as a DM I can't both present a problem and solve it.
Every time a DMPC or NPC fixes something a payer couldn't i'm diminishing and undermining that player's contribution.
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

All you need for a ship is for them to exist. Also, their introduction was Fox letting King sniff his butt.
Faith doesn't change circumstances. Faith changes me.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I never saw Fox as gay or bi since it seemed like he was only trying to make Bino happy and his relationship with Mungo was more a friend comforting a friend rather than romantic.

Then again, with how quick I jumped on the Foxsha band wagon and my reasons WHY, I really can't speak for it.
Champion Wallace

Post by Champion Wallace »

dr_eirik wrote:Though the specific comic that Sir Chestnut posted actually brings up something else that's tangential. Why are Bruce and Roosevelt there?

It seems obvious at first, they are there to act as guides or something. But they vanish after this strip and don't reappear until they discover their plane tickets have been cashed in. Realizing that the Miltons have more money than sense, I don't see why they'd take them along just to visit their family.

I kind of assumed they were pins, I'm not sure the comic ever really goes into any detail. about them ever.
The alt text for that strip has King and Fox discussion what's going on, but the explanation for "why is Bruce here?" is "Because Roosevelt didn't want to come by himself!" which is a non answer because there is no explanation for Roosevelt.
dr_eirik wrote:And since I'm actively trying to avoid anything productive at work today, I found myself skimming a different arc and found this strip:

This goes back to the strip that I noted earlier where Bino calls Jeff his owner rather than Dad. Here, it's actually in quotes, I'm sure to imply that he doesn't really mean it, but uses it as a social convention only.

Also, I think this strip is a lot of the source for the idea that Jeff treats Bino badly, but I'm not sure how much here is his fault. No one called him (Bino a few strips later is revealed to have contacted Duchess, who did nothing) and Max likely kept telling him that Bino was just with his B... girlfriend. Seems that he did start looking once enough time had passed.
I think you're right that Bino didn't really mean it, but I think it's because Bino feels (whether justified or not) that Jeff wasn't being fatherly leaving him in the pound for a week.
Amazee Dayzee wrote:My problem was how easily Jeff lost the remote and shrugged it off (it ended up in Peanut's hands who used it to shock Bino for entertainment).
Peanut was not getting entertainment from watching Bino get shocked repeatedly, he didn't know it did that and was curious to find out what the remote was for.
Amazee Dayzee wrote:I never saw Fox as gay or b
What does that have to do with shipping?Image
The cape comes with the promotion.
trekkie

Post by trekkie »

Amazee Dayzee wrote:I assume it may have had something to do with her son disowning her for animal cruelty that made her change. I got the impression that Mr. Robinson was a lot worse than his wife, which is probably why he ended up someplace where you don't need a sweater.
He moved to a warmer climate is what you’re saying.
“Freedom has cost too much blood and agony to be relinquished at the cheap price of rhetoric.” - Thomas Sowell

“The only time I ever enjoyed ironing was the day I accidentally got gin in the steam iron.” Phyllis Diller
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Since it is a place and not a curse, its not technically against the rules since I'm using it as a place.

He's roasting in hell. :twisted:
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

Amazee Dayzee wrote:Since it is a place and not a curse, its not technically against the rules since I'm using it as a place.

He's probably still alive.
Housepets! Fan Fiction By Fenrir Black M.A.
There is a price to pay for defying fate.
dr_eirik

Post by dr_eirik »

fenrirblack wrote:
Amazee Dayzee wrote:Since it is a place and not a curse, its not technically against the rules since I'm using it as a place.

He's probably still alive.
Split the difference. He's in Yuma, Arizona.
"Say, this is only tangentially relevant, but how many rings is your tail supposed to have?"
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Would make for an interesting arc if he decides to come around and make amends and finds out not only that his son is now a dog, but he has puppy grandchildren. :mrgreen:
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

I'm wondering how the idea of Mr. Robinson being in Hell is a thing considering we only have one thing regarding him, and that was in Joel's flashback. Mrs. Robinson only has two.
Faith doesn't change circumstances. Faith changes me.
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

Amazee Dayzee wrote:Would make for an interesting arc if he decides to come around and make amends and finds out not only that his son is now a dog, but he has puppy grandchildren. :mrgreen:
I pray everyday we get that arc. I don't care if they reconcile or anything. I just want to appear then my head will explode.
D-Rock wrote:I'm wondering how the idea of Mr. Robinson being in Hell is a thing considering we only have one thing regarding him, and that was in Joel's flashback. Mrs. Robinson only has two.
Context clues.
I'm wondering where the idea that he's dead came from.
Housepets! Fan Fiction By Fenrir Black M.A.
There is a price to pay for defying fate.
dr_eirik

Post by dr_eirik »

fenrirblack wrote:
Amazee Dayzee wrote:Would make for an interesting arc if he decides to come around and make amends and finds out not only that his son is now a dog, but he has puppy grandchildren. :mrgreen:
I pray everyday we get that arc. I don't care if they reconcile or anything. I just want to appear then my head will explode.
Since I'm getting the sneaking suspicion that the current story arc is going to result in Kings status being at the least an open secret, and very possible public knowledge, it could happen.
"Say, this is only tangentially relevant, but how many rings is your tail supposed to have?"
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

But we don't know for sure if he is alive or not.
Sir Chestnut

Post by Sir Chestnut »

dr_eirik wrote:
fenrirblack wrote:
Since I'm getting the sneaking suspicion that the current story arc is going to result in Kings status being at the least an open secret, and very possible public knowledge, it could happen.
Ever since I've seen this strip I've had a suspicion that someone from King's past will end up trying to find him. Not necessarily his father, but someone close. Maybe an old friend or crime-partner from what ever landed him in jail the first time. He could even have a sibling he never mentioned because he didn't get along with them for all we know.

Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Considering the type of people that Joel's parents were, I wouldn't say its out of the realm of possibility that he has half-siblings out there.
Dissension

Post by Dissension »

I'm not sure what you're trying to imply about people who have half-siblings or their parents, tbh.

people are the only things that matter; take care of yourselves and each other
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

his folks never seemed like the best pair so maybe they split up?
Most important thing I've learned from D&D?
No matter how tempting it may be, as a DM I can't both present a problem and solve it.
Every time a DMPC or NPC fixes something a payer couldn't i'm diminishing and undermining that player's contribution.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Either that or the father cheated with multiple women and might have a kid or two out there or even his mother if it was after Joel left since he didn't see her again until after she died and was in heaven so any other children she had wouldn't be known to King.
dr_eirik

Post by dr_eirik »

I'm not sure this counts as a realization, but I came across this one via a link from FA:

Is this the only time that all three brothers (Fido, Bino and Joey) are in the same panel at the same time? I can't recall another.
Champion Wallace

Post by Champion Wallace »

dr_eirik wrote:I'm not sure this counts as a realization, but I came across this one via a link from FA:

Is this the only time that all three brothers (Fido, Bino and Joey) are in the same panel at the same time? I can't recall another.
http://www.housepetscomic.com/character/fido+bino+joey/
Correct. As you can see here all three are only together in two strips and in the other one they are all doing separate things in separate panels.
The cape comes with the promotion.
dr_eirik

Post by dr_eirik »

Champion Wallace wrote: Correct. As you can see here all three are only together in two strips and in the other one they are all doing separate things in separate panels.
Interesting. I did not know you could search for multiple tags at once.

Somehow, I thought that all three would be in the wedding crowd scene, until I remembered that King and Bino dislike each other, and Binos first encounter with Bailey had her punching his face inside out.
Sir Chestnut

Post by Sir Chestnut »

Looks like Bino is the only one that hasn't changed his collar since then.

Also noticed their current collars match their eye color.
Fido-orange, Joey-blue, Bino-green
dr_eirik

Post by dr_eirik »

Sir Chestnut wrote:Looks like Bino is the only one that hasn't changed his collar since then.

Also noticed their current collars match their eye color.
Fido-orange, Joey-blue, Bino-green
Jeff must have bought them in bulk. When he ended up getting sprung from the pound, he had a new green collar for him.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Considering the fact that there was an arc where he tried to make a movie of him having lost his collar, I would say that Bino loses his collar pretty often.
trekkie

Post by trekkie »

Bino probably constantly loses his collars trying some stupid stunt, if the past is anything to go by.
Last edited by trekkie on Thu Oct 10, 2019 3:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
“Freedom has cost too much blood and agony to be relinquished at the cheap price of rhetoric.” - Thomas Sowell

“The only time I ever enjoyed ironing was the day I accidentally got gin in the steam iron.” Phyllis Diller
Sir Chestnut

Post by Sir Chestnut »

dr_eirik wrote:
Champion Wallace wrote: Correct. As you can see here all three are only together in two strips and in the other one they are all doing separate things in separate panels.
Interesting. I did not know you could search for multiple tags at once.

Somehow, I thought that all three would be in the wedding crowd scene, until I remembered that King and Bino dislike each other, and Binos first encounter with Bailey had her punching his face inside out.
Was looking through the Joey, Bino, Fido strips and found something odd. It's a one-off, but I find it weird that Bino is at the table with Joey and King in Obligatory Reference after the events of Enters The Hero 1-3 (Which I also think was the only other time all three have been at the same location)
dr_eirik

Post by dr_eirik »

Sir Chestnut wrote:
Was looking through the Joey, Bino, Fido strips and found something odd. It's a one-off, but I find it weird that Bino is at the table with Joey and King in Obligatory Reference after the events of Enters The Hero 1-3 (Which I also think was the only other time all three have been at the same location)
It's actually a pretty odd group in general. Joey, Dallas and Lester have never struck me as the poker playing types (Lester is even complaining in that one about not playing Magic: The Gathering) Fox and King haven't mixed much with those three. Of course, Peanut would likely play anything. And Bino is... Bino.

What I never realized until I was just looking up the original artwork is that "Dogs Playing Poker" is actually a series of paintings. Rick mirrored this one from https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File ... olidge.jpg

Edited to ask: Which arc is Enters the Hero? I can't find one in the chapter list by that name.
Never mind, I found the strip.
Last edited by dr_eirik on Sun Sep 15, 2019 9:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
trekkie

Post by trekkie »

I don’t remember the name of the strip but I think that King mentioned that he played Dungeons and Dragons, albeit when he was Joel.

dr_eirik

Post by dr_eirik »

trekkie wrote:I don’t remember the name of the strip but I think that King mentioned that he played Dungeons and Dragons, albeit when he was Joel.
That's here:
https://www.housepetscomic.com/comic/20 ... use-rules/
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

It would be amusing if Joey, Dallas and Lester found out and asked him to play with them.

And King violenty refuses because of everything that happened in the cosmic game.
Gael

Post by Gael »

this thing
Attachments
This, I never noticed it but now I can never Unnotice
This, I never noticed it but now I can never Unnotice
Joey's eye.JPG (8.41 KiB) Viewed 20139 times
trekkie

Post by trekkie »

I just noticed Max, Grape, Peanut and Tarot in the panel showing the church at King and Bailey's wedding.
Last edited by trekkie on Thu Oct 10, 2019 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dr_eirik

Post by dr_eirik »

Gael wrote:this thing
OK, I can't tell what I'm looking at, other than his eye.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

That is your speciality so shouldn't you actually TRY to notice something different? :lol:
Gael

Post by Gael »

dr_eirik wrote:
Gael wrote:this thing
OK, I can't tell what I'm looking at, other than his eye.
the thing I noticed is the edges of his eye is colored weird
dr_eirik

Post by dr_eirik »

Amazee Dayzee wrote:That is your speciality so shouldn't you actually TRY to notice something different? :lol:
Sure, but my skills in cartoon canines is a little weak. 8-)
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Well you seem to be fine with doing it for virtual avatars of people. :lol:
dr_eirik

Post by dr_eirik »

Amazee Dayzee wrote:Well you seem to be fine with doing it for virtual avatars of people. :lol:

Well, sure. Those are real! :roll:
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

It's a good thing you are now active on the forum. I need a free and confidential eye exam because I am SICK of these eye headaches.
Gael

Post by Gael »

I feel like I'm missing something here....