Housepets! Stage Musical

Discuss the comic here
Saturn381

Housepets! Stage Musical

Post by Saturn381 »

While this topic has been talked about before, I figured I'd give my two cents on how it would work.

First as to how to make a musical with humans and anthropomorphic animals work, I think the humans would wear normal cloths, while the animals would wear customs shirts that would give the actors the look of an animal. Something like this.

As for songwriters and composers, well here's a list of some people that I think could do a good job in writing the songs.

1. Stephen Schwartz (Godspell, Pippin, Wicked)

2. Robert Lopez (Avenue Q, Book of Mormon, Frozen)

3. Lynn Ahrens and Stephen Flaherty (Once on This Island, Ragtime, Seussical)

4. Karey and Wayne Kirkpatrick (Something Rotten)

What do you guys think?
Buster
Game Master

Re: Housepets! Stage Musical

Post by Buster »

You wan't my honest opinion? You're not going to like it.

I think this idea is still as ridiculous as the one who's thread you got locked.

How is live theater even still a thing? I haven't seen a theater group comprised of people other than drama students since the 90s.
Most important thing I've learned from D&D?
No matter how tempting it may be, as a DM I can't both present a problem and solve it.
Every time a DMPC or NPC fixes something a payer couldn't i'm diminishing and undermining that player's contribution.
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

Post by RandomGeekNamedBrent »

It's still a thing because a lot of people still like it. it's a completely different experience seeing a live show than it is seeing a movie, the same difference between a concert and a recording.

Broadway is still thriving, there are countless Shakespearean theater companies, many actors get their start in live theater, there are a bunch of movies based on plays, such as Into The Woods. there are still productions of famous shows like Annie or Beauty and the Beast (which I enjoyed when I saw one). I enjoyed seeing Spamalot back in my freshman year of high school.

just because you haven;t seen a professional theater troupe in years doesn't mean they don't exist. unlike student groups, the professional ones don't need to advertise widely because there are enough people looking at theater specific sites to get them a packed house.

and just because this isn't going to happen, doesn't mean it isn't fun to speculate. there's a thriving thread devoted to what voice actors would play the characters, why not one for theater?
Paradigm Shift by me
I do not actually believe any of what I'm saying.
RP character sheets
Obbl
Smiley McSmiles

Post by Obbl »

Some of us are very fond of live theater and musicals in particular. It is its own unique art form and still professionally produced and acted all over the place. So nyeh :P

I wonder about the size difference between humans and pets. Seems like not only would you want obvious costume differences, you'd also want the human actors on some form of stilts. And maybe you'd also want to borrow a page from "You're a Good Man, Charlie Brown" and use extra large props to enhance the feel of the pet actors being child sized.
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

Obbl wrote:I wonder about the size difference between humans and pets. Seems like not only would you want obvious costume differences, you'd also want the human actors on some form of stilts. And maybe you'd also want to borrow a page from "You're a Good Man, Charlie Brown" and use extra large props to enhance the feel of the pet actors being child sized.
They don;t do that in productions of "you're a good man Charlie Brown" for snoopy. I suppose the characters there are closer in size though.
you could have the pet actors on their knees, you could cast dwarves or children to play them, or You could even just use puppets for the pets. all viable options that would accentuate the size difference.
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
Obbl
Smiley McSmiles

Post by Obbl »

I meant they use large props in Charlie Brown because all the characters are child sized
The problem really is that the pets are the main characters. You'd really want them to be free to move about as easily as possible, whereas inhibiting the "people" isn't as big an issue since they can come and go at a more leisurely pace.
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

Obbl wrote:I meant they use large props in Charlie Brown because all the characters are child sized
to tell you the truth, I didn't read the second sentence in your post and was only referring to the stilts. and I did concede that it was different since Snoopy and the Peanuts gang are roughly the same size.

you're probably right about the knees limiting the pet actors too much, but puppets would still be a viable option. Avenue Q pulls it off.

or, make the humans into big puppets.
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

It would have to be a stand-alone story, I would think. Oversized props would probably be a good way to do if the entire focus was on the pets.

I remember going to see Wizard of Oz I think my sophomore year in high school with the choir, so about 2008. I had no experience with theatre, except for school stuff, so I had no true expectations. I ended up absolutely loving it!
Faith doesn't change circumstances. Faith changes me.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I wouldn't mind seeing how a Housepets! stage musical would work myself. Actually it could be quite cool! I haven't seen a stage play in a while! It could be nice!