Characters who are potential aspies?

Discuss the comic here
CanzetYote

Characters who are potential aspies?

Post by CanzetYote »

Are there any characters who give off autistic or Asperger's vibes to you? I can think of a few:

Res - Strikes me as a card-carrying Aspie, given his social anxiety and awkwardness. As someone whose an aspie myself, I can find him to be one of the more relatable characters.

Tiger - Comes off as someone with a blend of Bipolar, Asperger's and possible Intermittent Explosive Disorder. Again, I myself have Asperger's and find him to be one of the more relatable characters. I also have anxiety and anger problems and come off as a social outcast of sorts. The mood swings, strange sense of humor and obsessive thought patterns (Food, in Tiger's case) are often associated with the autism spectrum.

Tarot - The more I think about it, the more Tarot comes off as a textbook Aspie example. She's smart and logical but has trouble with empathy and can come off as a little rude at times without meaning to. Also, there was her outburst in the time travel arc. Aspies in general can be prone to outbursts or meltdowns when feeling stressed.

That's all I can think of off the top of my head but I'm sure there's a few other characters with autistic traits.
Buster
Game Master

Re: Characters who are potential aspies?

Post by Buster »

i dunno. Tiger, i can see having pretty much any disorder under the sun, so, sure, go nuts. i mean he talks to poom and that penguin robot he had that one time as if he actually hears them answering him, so for all we know he could be schizophrenic. but tarot seems more 'narcacist with anger issues', and i don't see res in that light at all.
Most important thing I've learned from D&D?
No matter how tempting it may be, as a DM I can't both present a problem and solve it.
Every time a DMPC or NPC fixes something a payer couldn't i'm diminishing and undermining that player's contribution.
CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

I don't really know about Tiger myself. While he reminds me of myself in ways, it's either implied or specifically stated his problems come from constant bullying over his name. Aspergers Syndrome is a developmental disorder that you have from birth or spontaneously develop at around two or three years old and doesn't have anything to do with trauma.

Res seems to just be shy. He's introverted, but he doesn't have other signs such as obsessive interests. As such, I don't see him being on the Autism Spectrum.

Tarot also lacks the obsessive interests or behaviors, which is one of the biggest parts of having ASD.

Honestly, if I had to pick two that at least remind me of myself in ways, it would be Peanut and Tiger. Peanut often seems oblivious to the feelings of others which in my experience can result from being too invested in one's own world. He also demonstrated mildly obsessive behavior as demonstrated when trapped in time and his biggest concern was his game running out of battery. As for Tiger... He's Tiger. While I don't think he has ASD, it wouldn't entirely surprise me.
"It's not my job to seek the truth.
It's not my job to pick a side.
It's not my job to judge your sins.
It's my job to save your life."
-Champion Motto

Game Master for Beacon of Hope. The one and only superhero RP! Join here!
CanzetYote

Post by CanzetYote »

CyberDragon wrote:I don't really know about Tiger myself. While he reminds me of myself in ways, it's either implied or specifically stated his problems come from constant bullying over his name. Aspergers Syndrome is a developmental disorder that you have from birth or spontaneously develop at around two or three years old and doesn't have anything to do with trauma.

Res seems to just be shy. He's introverted, but he doesn't have other signs such as obsessive interests. As such, I don't see him being on the Autism Spectrum.

Tarot also lacks the obsessive interests or behaviors, which is one of the biggest parts of having ASD.

Honestly, if I had to pick two that at least remind me of myself in ways, it would be Peanut and Tiger. Peanut often seems oblivious to the feelings of others which in my experience can result from being too invested in one's own world. He also demonstrated mildly obsessive behavior as demonstrated when trapped in time and his biggest concern was his game running out of battery. As for Tiger... He's Tiger. While I don't think he has ASD, it wouldn't entirely surprise me.
Peanut does come across as rather Aspie-ish now that you bring it up. The only thing that sets his apart from most Aspies is that he's generally more extroverted than your typical Aspie.
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

CyberDragon wrote:He also demonstrated mildly obsessive behavior as demonstrated when trapped in time and his biggest concern was his game running out of battery.
Wasn't he doing that to troll Tarot?
Most important thing I've learned from D&D?
No matter how tempting it may be, as a DM I can't both present a problem and solve it.
Every time a DMPC or NPC fixes something a payer couldn't i'm diminishing and undermining that player's contribution.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

I don't really think any of them do. People can get overly aggressive about unprofessionally diagnosing those conditions.
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
Not A Furry

Post by Not A Furry »

Sleet wrote: unprofessionally diagnosing those conditions.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I would appreciate it if people didn't talk about serious mental illnesses so casually and liberally.
CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

CanzetYote and I both have asd. Identifying traits from the spectrum in our favorite characters helps us relate to them better. But yes, I don't think any of the characters specifically have ASD. I just mentioned a few that demonstrate some traits I sometimes see in myself and other autistic people.
"It's not my job to seek the truth.
It's not my job to pick a side.
It's not my job to judge your sins.
It's my job to save your life."
-Champion Motto

Game Master for Beacon of Hope. The one and only superhero RP! Join here!
CanzetYote

Post by CanzetYote »

Not A Furry wrote:
Sleet wrote: unprofessionally diagnosing those conditions.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I would appreciate it if people didn't talk about serious mental illnesses so casually and liberally.
You realize that I DO have Asperger's Syndrome, right? I was born with it and officially diagnosed with it. Also, Asperger's is not a mental illness, it's a developmental disability.
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

Before it gets potentially out of hand, let me say this;

If one is comfortable bringing up a legitimate disability they have and wishes to share how it comes about, don’t hinder them, especially if it allows them to better understand certain characters.
HOWEVER
I agree with Sleet, in that it should not be unprofessionally assigned to others.
ALSO
If the topic is more a generalization of how the disability is, it may not fit for discussion on The Comic forums and may need to be taken elsewhere.

And with this said,
[Topic Locked]
Faith doesn't change circumstances. Faith changes me.