Supernaturality in Housepets?!

Discuss the comic here
NeoWolf

Supernaturality in Housepets?!

Post by NeoWolf »

Can someone PLEASE explain to me the supernatural aspect of Housepets? (You know, the "game", avatars, the celestials, the walking, talking animals, etc.) I need to get caught up!
tsMKG

Re: Supernaturality in Housepets?!

Post by tsMKG »

Did you read from the beginning?

If not, do that.
Have you been looking at the thing above this? Dis is my old signature and is not relevant anymore.
NeoWolf

Post by NeoWolf »

tsMKG wrote:Did you read from the beginning?

If not, do that.
From what beginning?

Also, that might take too long. I want to know now!
tsMKG

Post by tsMKG »

Click that button.
When you have finished reading the strip, click next.

Also there's a lot of things that you will miss if we SPOILED that for you. Specially King's story.
Have you been looking at the thing above this? Dis is my old signature and is not relevant anymore.
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

Yeah, seven years worth of strips is definitely A LOT to take in, but it is also worth it. And he's right, there's too much to condense about what's happened in those years.
Faith doesn't change circumstances. Faith changes me.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

No way we can explain it all too you as its just too much. 7 years worth of adventures. Its best if you just read from the first ever strip.
SuperStar

Post by SuperStar »

Like the others said, just read from the beginning, like all of us. Though I will answer one question.
NeoWolf wrote:Can someone PLEASE explain to me the the walking, talking animals?
That's just the way the comic's world rolls, :P
valerio

Post by valerio »

NeoWolf wrote:Can someone PLEASE explain to me the supernatural aspect of Housepets? (You know, the "game", avatars, the celestials, the walking, talking animals, etc.) I need to get caught up!
basically, you are asking a volume-recap of the comic. Also, the supernatural element is at the basis of King's story, which in itself is one long adventure starting long time ago. Telling it alone, including its implications, would spoil the whole reading experience -not to mention that, in text format, without what makes this comic great: art, jokes, references, characterization, etc, would just make the whole point dull.
I recommend you take your time to start reading from the first strip and discover the magic. You'll LOVE it! :D
NeoWolf

Post by NeoWolf »

Well, y'all are right...But at least tell me what arcs to read in order to fulfill my wanting for knowledge of the supernatural; I don't want to endure any of the junk that's in the non-supernatural arcs (e.g. paper bag plays) in order to get to the supernatural arcs.
SuperStar wrote:
NeoWolf wrote:Can someone PLEASE explain to me the the walking, talking animals?
That's just the way the comic's world rolls, :P
Really? I always thought something supernatural happened to make the animals anthro.
tsMKG

Post by tsMKG »

Paper bag play is not junk :P (tough there are very few arcs of paper bag play, being 1, 29, 44, 56 and 74)

Supernaturality starts in arc 23.
Or arc 10 if dreams counts.

As for King's story, the arcs are:

(Also there's a lot of supernaturality info is there)

Still you're missing some nice part as for the other characters.

I would still recommend to read all arcs, from the very first strip.
Last edited by tsMKG on Thu Dec 10, 2015 2:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
valerio

Post by valerio »

the very base of the comic rotates on the idea that animals, pets and ferals, are sentient down to the snakes' levels due to a twist of evolution. Digitigrad mammals are anthropomorphic, while ungulates, reptiles (so far the slitherers, it remains to be seen about the four-leggers) birds and dolphins keep their posture. Birds are possibly capable of a limtied dexterity with their wings.
These are the arcs where the supernatural element is present:

Arc 10: The Grove
Arc 23: Nple date
Arc 26: Oops! I arced
Arc 27: It's a wonderful dog's life
Arc 29: Imaginate, too!
Arc 32: Dog days of summer
Arc 36: Scaredy cats
Arc 39: We're snowed in!
Arc 42: Not all dogs
Arc 46: The case of the Aztec gold
Arc 55: The trial in heaven
Arc 59: Psycon
Arc 61: Psycon 2
Arc 63: Temple crashers
Arc 69: The king and I
Arc 71: The galifrax protocol
Arcs 77-79-81: Heaven's not enough Part 1, 2, 3
Arc 82: I need a vacation
Arc 84: Rabbit's foot
Arc 89: The future of tomorrow, today!
Arcs 93-94-95: Housepets 5000 BC Part 1, 2, 3

You can find the links at the right of the homepage, scrolling down.
Last edited by valerio on Thu Dec 10, 2015 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Obbl
Smiley McSmiles

Post by Obbl »

And, of course neither of these lists mention arc 47 which is essential for understanding any of the later arcs about King, not to mention all the arcs containing much of the character background for a large portion of the supporting cast for this plot line. It's your call, but you are going to be missing out on a lot of excellent story telling :P
Also, it might behoove you to avoid, on a forum devoted to fans of Housepets!, calling parts of the comic "junk" in which you are merely less interested ;)
Dissension

Post by Dissension »

NeoWolf wrote:Well, y'all are right...But at least tell me what arcs to read in order to fulfill my wanting for knowledge of the supernatural; I don't want to endure any of the junk that's in the non-supernatural arcs (e.g. paper bag plays) in order to get to the supernatural arcs.
The best way to enjoy the comic is in its entirety. By focusing only on one area, you're losing quite a lot of development. Additionally, quite a few people enjoy (and even prefer) the story arcs which do not feature supernatural elements. Dismissing those segments of the story as "junk," you not only open the door to controversy (and inflammatory responses) but put down the work of the comic's creator. Our discussion guidelines mandate being respectful and civil toward all other members (including Rick). Let's be sure to clearly delineate things we aren't interested in and things that are objectively worthless.
NeoWolf wrote:Really? I always thought something supernatural happened to make the animals anthro.
This is something you'd miss out on if you didn't read the completely ordinary parts of the comic.

people are the only things that matter; take care of yourselves and each other
NeoWolf

Post by NeoWolf »

valerio, tsmkg, thanks for the lists! (and thanks obbi for the additional arc) But since your lists are different, I'll consider combining them into...The Housepets! Supernatural Arc List!!
valerio wrote:the very base of the comic rotates on the idea that animals, pets and ferals, are sentient down to the snakes' levels due to a twist of evolution.
When did this twist of evolution happen?
valerio

Post by valerio »

NeoWolf wrote:valerio, tsmkg, thanks for the lists! (and thanks obbi for the additional arc) But since your lists are different, I'll consider combining them into...The Housepets! Supernatural Arc List!!
valerio wrote:the very base of the comic rotates on the idea that animals, pets and ferals, are sentient down to the snakes' levels due to a twist of evolution.
When did this twist of evolution happen?
It is not yet known when quadrupedals made place to bipedals.
It is sure that back in 5000 bc bipedalism was a thing.
Obbl
Smiley McSmiles

Post by Obbl »

At what point is it believed that apes (or their ancestors) evolved a bipedal stance? In this universe all mammals went down this path. That's the only real difference.
NeoWolf

Post by NeoWolf »

Dissension wrote:
NeoWolf wrote:Really? I always thought something supernatural happened to make the animals anthro.
This is something you'd miss out on if you didn't read the completely ordinary parts of the comic.
Oh really? Well then, on which comic/arc can I learn about that?
Dissension

Post by Dissension »

That would be telling! You should read the whole comic to gain a richer understanding. :3

people are the only things that matter; take care of yourselves and each other
valerio

Post by valerio »

Not to mention that Housepets! is NOT a comic about the supernatural. Supernatural influenced a certain character more heavily, created situations, but most of all is some spice for extra fun.
In the arc list I gave you (added an item I had forgotten, btw), you should also skip several comic and go right to the flashy effects. Which is like skipping the whole of "2001 a space odyssey" until you arrive to the 'My god is full of stars" part. Could you say that it's a good movie with such a limited vision and call 'junk' the rest of the movie?
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Also you don't have to worry because after this point, I don't think we will be seeing supernatural stuff a lot anymore. But still, none of us can explain it to you unless you read the comics.

But we do have a wiki to better understand some of the characters.
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

those arc lists are incomplete, as they leave out the introductions and establishments of several key characters who take part in them.
if you only read those parts it would feel like a LOT of characters came out of nowhere.

Honestly the only stuff you can really cut without loosing anything important are Arc #2, the imaginates, the guest pages, and the Spot arcs.
Most important thing I've learned from D&D?
No matter how tempting it may be, as a DM I can't both present a problem and solve it.
Every time a DMPC or NPC fixes something a payer couldn't i'm diminishing and undermining that player's contribution.
valerio

Post by valerio »

Buster wrote:those arc lists are incomplete, as they leave out the introductions and establishments of several key characters who take part in them.
if you only read those parts it would feel like a LOT of characters came out of nowhere.

Honestly the only stuff you can really cut without loosing anything important are Arc #2, the imaginates, the guest pages, and the Spot arcs.
...which means that you can't leave out anything, since the imaginate arcs play a part in the social development of characters interactions. Spot (Superdog) is an in-comic, but it too plays a role in the understanding some characters.
And it is a good thing: A webcomic where you can skip whole arcs is not a good comic.
tsMKG

Post by tsMKG »

So, read them all!
NeoWolf

Post by NeoWolf »

Obbl wrote: Also, it might behoove you to avoid, on a forum devoted to fans of Housepets!, calling parts of the comic "junk" in which you are merely less interested ;)
Dissension wrote: Dismissing those segments of the story as "junk," you not only open the door to controversy (and inflammatory responses) but put down the work of the comic's creator.
valerio wrote: If you were an artist/writer and I decided to call the largest part of your 7 years-long work 'junk', would you just shrug it off?
All of you, ENOUGH! Time to end this controversy once and for all! Do you want to know why I really called the non-supernatural arcs junk? It's because they were set in between the supernatural arcs, and I didn't want to read the non-supernatural arcs in order to get to them. THERE! Is everyone calm now?
Obbl
Smiley McSmiles

Post by Obbl »

Your hostility toward everyone's attempt to gently remind you that flippant words can have deep, unintentional impact is a confusing response. If you genuinely meant no harm then perhaps this is a good lesson for you to learn at this stage in your life, which would be best served with a simple thanks for pointing out the potential issue. If you were already aware of this, then a reminder can be seen only as a necessary response to us who feel your words most strongly.
If you desire to read these as castigating or condescending, that is your own prerogative, but you miss out on the chance for kindly meant correction from which you may be able to benefit. We want you to enjoy the comic in what ever way is best applicable to you, but we also can't stand by while you throw out hurtful word regardless of their intent. It is our goal to facilitate an open environment free of hostility, and we want you to be a part of that as well.
NeoWolf

Post by NeoWolf »

Obbl wrote:Your hostility toward everyone's attempt to gently remind you that flippant words can have deep, unintentional impact is a confusing response. If you genuinely meant no harm then perhaps this is a good lesson for you to learn at this stage in your life, which would be best served with a simple thanks for pointing out the potential issue. If you were already aware of this, then a reminder can be seen only as a necessary response to us who feel your words most strongly.
If you desire to read these as castigating or condescending, that is your own prerogative, but you miss out on the chance for kindly meant correction from which you may be able to benefit. We want you to enjoy the comic in what ever way is best applicable to you, but we also can't stand by while you throw out hurtful word regardless of their intent. It is our goal to facilitate an open environment free of hostility, and we want you to be a part of that as well.
I respond to that in the words of Bart Simpson: "Speak English, Doc."
Obbl
Smiley McSmiles

Post by Obbl »

Dissension wrote:Let's be sure to clearly delineate things we aren't interested in and things that are objectively worthless.
When you speak in a text-only medium, you must be careful of words like "junk" that are used colloquially in a very understated manner. "Junk" is often used in the same manner as "stuff", but it's meaning is truly "something that has no worth". Comparing someone's work to "junk" is an unfair comparison. It is also a strong enough comparison to bring passionate fans out of the woodwork to defend their beloved comic. We would like to avoid this event, and thus attempt to kindly correct this behavior.
If you truly did not mean to be offensive, the mature response is to graciously accept the correction and move on. Loudly telling us off will not help us to understand your true feelings, and may lead us to believe that escalating to punishment may be necessary to curb this.
JonnyNova

Post by JonnyNova »

NeoWolf wrote:
Obbl wrote:Your hostility toward everyone's attempt to gently remind you that flippant words can have deep, unintentional impact is a confusing response. If you genuinely meant no harm then perhaps this is a good lesson for you to learn at this stage in your life, which would be best served with a simple thanks for pointing out the potential issue. If you were already aware of this, then a reminder can be seen only as a necessary response to us who feel your words most strongly.
I respond to that in the words of Bart Simpson: "Speak English, Doc."
I wasn't going to add yet another response to this, but ask and you shall receive:

What he said was that you should be more careful when you're criticising someone's work, especially around people who are fans of it, that you don't come off sounding harsher than you meant to. And when people call you out on that you don't have to lash out at them.
*purrs loudly*

SuperStar

Post by SuperStar »

NeoWolf wrote:Do you want to know why I really called the non-supernatural arcs junk? It's because they were set in between the supernatural arcs, and I didn't want to read the non-supernatural arcs in order to get to them. THERE! Is everyone calm now?
Well that's not the comic's fault, the supernatural arcs are sort of a side-story, the non-supernatural stuff is the main comic.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

If you wanted a comic that is more supernatural then Housepets! might not be a good fit for you.
Obbl
Smiley McSmiles

Post by Obbl »

Guys, there are times when it's best to let the mods handle a situation. Further involvement from everyone else can look like a personal attack and exacerbate the issue.

I was hoping to end things on a peaceful note, but if that's going to be impossible...
[ Thread Closed ]