The Quest for Babylon Gardens!

Discuss the comic here
Adoring Fan

The Quest for Babylon Gardens!

Post by Adoring Fan »

So... Throughout the comics we have been given clues to where the magical place of Babylon gardens might exist. We have seen that there is little to no geography as well as the Flora and Fauna that is native to the town. We also know that it is within driving distance of the american Midwest. Due to this we can surmise that it must be west of the rocky mountain range but not within the the American Midwest due to the abundance of plant-life in the form of woodlands. From all this information i have created a map of the most likely regions it might exist. Some of these are not marked such as the coastal plains east of the Appalachians as well as its furthest foothills. I have also marked the most likely place for it to exist due to fitting all depicted conditions.

In the end this is just my fun head cannon project and i would love to see what other people think :)

Image Image
Foreigner

Re: The Quest for Babylon Gardens!

Post by Foreigner »

This.
It seems that the Fate is falling into East Coast.
My English is bad. Sorry for that.
Douglas Collier

Post by Douglas Collier »

I know that Missouri is a Midwest state within driving distance of Kansas with a lot of trees.
Don't rule out the Midwest simply because there are prairies within it. Also, I think Rick or Diss said somewhere that Babylon Gardens is likely located in the Midwest.

As for the fate, we can't tell its velocity - it could be moving westward at high speed, aiming for the Midwest or west coast. It's the Heisenberg uncertainty principle in action.

Here's some research some of us pulled together:
Argent wrote:
Douglas Collier wrote: Image
By overlapping maps of the ranges of both opossums (Jessica) and black-beaked magpies (Trinket), I have created a map of potential states where Babylon Gardens could be located: Nebraska, South Dakota, Minnesota, Oregon, Colorado, Washington, California, Oklahoma, and Texas. (I left out Kansas because it had to be travelled to in order to visit Bailey).
We can narrow it down further using the map I previously created showing where they could be based on driving distance from locations in Kansas. Eliminate the darkest blue circle-ish-square area (which is less than nine hours from any location in Kansas) and you get:

This eliminates Oregon, Washington, and California. Leaving the kidney-shaped area in the center of your map.
Considering that this is an alternate universe where birds can ask for food and shelter, so don't necessarily stay within their ranges, I guess we can set aside the limit for magpies (Trinket) and expand further east than the range I previously set. Either Missouri or Illinois is my bet.
Douglas isn't my real name, but because of a name block put on me by a higher-order being known as Djinni, I can't say my real name.
Adoring Fan

Post by Adoring Fan »

Nice! and yes fate seems to be falling twords the east coast but we don't know its speed. Still from what we all have come up with it seems likely that it is east of Kansas but west of the Appalachians. I'm curious how you came up with the 9 hour drive time however? Was that a best guess for a one day trip? or was it actually stated as a nine hour drive? Also There are opossums all the way to the coast but yes i agree that puts it too far east for the information we have.

Still Both your map and mine overlap on northern Alabama and with your info we could easily extend that zone north and west to the states you both mentioned. Texas though.... Ive been to that part of Texas and its far too barren for what we see in house pets. Topography works but ecology is all wrong.

Addendum: After looking at climate i am inclined to agree that best chances are Missouri or Illinois though i would add Kentucky and Indiana to that list. They fall on the outer edge but still meet the qualifications.
Image Image
Obbl
Smiley McSmiles

Post by Obbl »

Well, Bailey's family lived on a farm in Kansas, and Uncle Reuben's farm is a 9 hour drive from the Sandwiches. Technically this isn't definitive information, but it appears people spliced it together anyway. ;)
Of note, Bailey's family moved to Joplin, Missouri, forcing her to live elsewhere. It would seem reasonable to take your dog to a nearby-ish place in this situation, lending credence to the more central eastern states. Of course, they could possibly have sent her to Bill's house rather than taking her themselves, so nothing absolute.
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

this any help? pretty sure it's safe to eliminate any white or yellow zones.
Most important thing I've learned from D&D?
No matter how tempting it may be, as a DM I can't both present a problem and solve it.
Every time a DMPC or NPC fixes something a payer couldn't i'm diminishing and undermining that player's contribution.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Yaknow Rick is from Alabama, so chances are he just based it from what he knows... so going by that first graph, let's say northeast Alabama.
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
Dissension

Post by Dissension »

To be fair, Rick's also from Missouri and Babylon Gardens was influenced, at least partly, by his old neighborhood in North Carolina.

people are the only things that matter; take care of yourselves and each other
Adoring Fan

Post by Adoring Fan »

Dissension wrote:To be fair, Rick's also from Missouri and Babylon Gardens was influenced, at least partly, by his old neighborhood in North Carolina.
If that's the case then it could still be in the green zone as it skirts the edge of the Carolina. Missouri also seems likely i agree as it also meets all the requirements. In truth we may never know for sure unless rick drops an answer in the comic. but its fun to guess :)
Image Image
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

Post by RandomGeekNamedBrent »

under this strip Rick mentions that he accidentally drew leaves on the trees in a winter scene because he lived in Alabama.

Which means we can eliminate anywhere that trees would still have a lot of leaves by New Years.
Paradigm Shift by me
I do not actually believe any of what I'm saying.
RP character sheets
Adoring Fan

Post by Adoring Fan »

Ok. So i updated the map based on everyone's imput. I kept the region of greatest likelihood the same since it seemed that a good number of you agree on its location. However i also added other places that we have established as either likely or as simply not possible. After all to go to Kansas you must first be outside of Kansas.
Image Image
Douglas Collier

Hey, my home is in that green quadrangle! :D
Douglas isn't my real name, but because of a name block put on me by a higher-order being known as Djinni, I can't say my real name.
Adoring Fan

Post by Adoring Fan »

UPDATE!

Ok guys so now we know that Babylon Gardens borders what appears to be a large body of water. This could be a river or large lake. Due to the lack of large bodies of water in the Midwest we can narrow the possibility's of its location greatly based on rick griffins own statement that it its set somewhere in the Midwest. few bodies of water in that region match the sheer scale of what we see in the pictures of Keenes return. the obvious being the Mississippi river and the great lakes. Other options of lesser known bodies do exist such as Greers ferry lake. which sits at a an ideal location between known landmarks.
Image Image
FancyHat
Location: Somewhere in the Southern US...Would prefer Scotland.

Post by FancyHat »

You forget the Tennessee River, which goes in between Alabama and Tennessee
"Crimes?" "Crimes."
Douglas Collier

Well, there's a fish market (THE GALLIFRAX PROTOCOL), and we know that a nearby water body empties into the gulf (The Case of the Aztec Gold).
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

Galafrax is an AU though, so that may be subject to variation. I wouldn't use data from there.
Most important thing I've learned from D&D?
No matter how tempting it may be, as a DM I can't both present a problem and solve it.
Every time a DMPC or NPC fixes something a payer couldn't i'm diminishing and undermining that player's contribution.
Adoring Fan

Post by Adoring Fan »

Buster wrote:Galafrax is an AU though, so that may be subject to variation. I wouldn't use data from there.
I agree, and your right i did forget the Tennessee river. At this point however we do know it borders either a large river or lake. We can see trees in the distance on the other bank and considering the size and type of the dock i would say more likely a river unless it borders one of the great lakes.
Image Image
FancyHat
Location: Somewhere in the Southern US...Would prefer Scotland.

Post by FancyHat »

I'd say we've narrowed it down a lot. The Mississippi River isn't far away from it along parts of the Tennessee River. Odds are it's close to the Alabama-Tennesee border..
"Crimes?" "Crimes."
Douglas Collier

Buster wrote:Galafrax is an AU though, so that may be subject to variation. I wouldn't use data from there.
I'd agree with that logic, except that Grape specifically mentioned that there was a fish market in their universe.
gbennett1425

Post by gbennett1425 »

I still Can't get over the fact that Kansas is where the most relative place is, like, I LIVE IN KANSAS

Still I was thinking of the animals native to the 9hr restriction and realized the wolves were left out, they are native to Colorado and the Rockies, so I'm going to say my guess for the City they live in is Denver, it's well within the 9hr range down I-70 or Hwy 36.

Another thing I wanted to point out is the fact that waster kansas is like a desert, but there still are some crops there, but they are irrigated and look like big circles.