Bino's history of development

Discuss the comic here
Liam

Bino's history of development

Post by Liam »

Unless I'm mistaken you, Rick, stated a while back Bino's one or even the oldest of your chars and was the hero of the comics you draw in your early childhood. Not that there's a rule saying one must make such creations the heroes of one's most recent work out of nostalgic or other feelings, but I wonder why you made him an antagonist (or at least someone with mostly negative personality traits).
"It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends upon his not understanding it." - Upton Sinclair
Wanderer wrote:You don't need a job, you need money.
rickgriffin
Site Admin

Re: Bino's history of development

Post by rickgriffin »

Because that's how comic strip characters tended to go. Bino would be mean-spirited and snarky (he was partly based off of Garfield) but would get away with it because he was "lovable" which means "an animal". The entirety of 'Bino Goes to Paris' was mostly Bino getting his owner angry at him for no reason at all.

Of course since I don't like characters like that when you bring them into a setting that is not centered on them, they tend to look like bad guys in comparison to the characters who actually have good qualities, and so his mean-spiritedness became more prominent.

Maybe I ought to do a retread of an old Bino story sometime so you see how he interacts with his owner.
I'm sure the cold hand of science will be able to overcome his magical powers
FlintTheSquirrel

Post by FlintTheSquirrel »

I would love to see more of a background for him, since everyone keeps on going about him being the snobby, evil, heartless, jerk. (Except a lot less severe)
But if we have a background on him, we may find something we can relate toward our little prankster friend.
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

FlintTheSquirrel wrote:I would love to see more of a background for him, since everyone keeps on going about him being the snobby, evil, heartless, jerk. (Except a lot less severe)
But if we have a background on him, we may find something we can relate toward our little prankster friend.
This is exactly what I'm waiting for as well.
Liam

Post by Liam »

That's interesting, thanks Rick, especially the part about jerk heroes becoming villains if they aren't the focus of the show. I'm seeing that CAD guy in my mind's eye.
"It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends upon his not understanding it." - Upton Sinclair
Wanderer wrote:You don't need a job, you need money.
44R0NM10
Former Mod of the Aura

Post by 44R0NM10 »

Thanks Mr. Griffin! I've always wondered how Bino talks to his owner in paricular! Respectful...or more like Tiger?
ReCreate

Post by ReCreate »

IceKitsune wrote:
FlintTheSquirrel wrote:I would love to see more of a background for him, since everyone keeps on going about him being the snobby, evil, heartless, jerk. (Except a lot less severe)
This is exactly what I'm waiting for as well.
This. It'll be interesting.
Don't let others define you, Only you can determine your fate
no longer active, sorry
Sinder

Post by Sinder »

"look dad I'm emptying your briefcase of its contents from atop the Eiffel Tower hahaha isn't that funny"
ImageImage
ImageImage
ChewyChewy

Post by ChewyChewy »

44R0NM10 wrote:Thanks Mr. Griffin! I've always wondered how Bino talks to his owner in paricular! Respectful...or more like Tiger?
Have we SEEN Tiger talking to his owner...?

I was kind of curious as to how the main character of the kid comic became such a jerk in this one....
PF chars

"We have to do this take again! HAL, do it with a LOT less emotion!"
"I'm sorry Stan, I'm afraid I can't do that."
--Phoenix

pair-o-dimes dot blogspot dot com
Two_Twig

Post by Two_Twig »

As long as the jerk in the cast is a witty jerk, he's alright in my book.
Hold still ~I'M PAINTING THE WORLD
----
My Devious account...
SIP. When is the next update coming? When you least expect it
ChewyChewy

Post by ChewyChewy »

Two_Twig wrote:As long as the jerk in the cast is a witty jerk, he's alright in my book.
Bino's all right in my book because I can laugh at him--especially since most of his hijinks come back to bite him.
PF chars

--Phoenix

Dissension

Post by Dissension »

Bino's all right in my book because... erm... I can relate to him?

Some people are born jerks, others have jerkiness thrust upon them; still others look like jerks when taken out of context.

people are the only things that matter; take care of yourselves and each other
44R0NM10
Former Mod of the Aura

Post by 44R0NM10 »

@Chewy well Tiger ate all the pizza :D

Diss forgot one other type of jerk...the nice guy/girl who wants people to think of him/herself as a jerk...but doesn't have the heart to do anything worphy of being named a jerk.

...true story.
ChewyChewy

Post by ChewyChewy »

44R0NM10 wrote:@Chewy well Tiger ate all the pizza :D

Diss forgot one other type of jerk...the nice guy/girl who wants people to think of him/herself as a jerk...but doesn't have the heart to do anything worphy of being named a jerk.

...true story.
But he didn't talk to his owner in that comic....
PF chars

--Phoenix

44R0NM10
Former Mod of the Aura

Post by 44R0NM10 »

you make my point seem a little off...what I mean is, Tiger seems to not give full respect to his owner (like Garfield). We can tell this without them talking to each other right? That is my point... is Bino the same as Tiger when it comes to talking to his owner or does he give Bill (his owner) a lot more respect?

Don't take the above like a :evil: but more like :ugeek: my friend.
valerio

Post by valerio »

44R0NM10 wrote:you make my point seem a little off...what I mean is, Tiger seems to not give full respect to his owner (like Garfield). We can tell this without them talking to each other right? That is my point... is Bino the same as Tiger when it comes to talking to his owner or does he give Bill (his owner) a lot more respect?

Don't take the above like a :evil: but more like :ugeek: my friend.
Bino's owner is a guy named Jake
https://www.housepetscomic.com/2008/09/ ... cred-duty/
And the man's most definitely a jerk for putting a shock collar on Bino
https://www.housepetscomic.com/2009/03/ ... -reaction/

(Officer) Bill is the owner of Fox, and he can break wolves in two.

I must break a bone for Bino: part of what he is is surely due to some heavy mistreatment.
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

valerio wrote: Bino's owner is a guy named Jake
https://www.housepetscomic.com/2008/09/ ... cred-duty/
And the man's most definitely a jerk for putting a shock collar on Bino
https://www.housepetscomic.com/2009/03/ ... -reaction/

(Officer) Bill is the owner of Fox, and he can break wolves in two.

I must break a bone for Bino: part of what he is is surely due to some heavy mistreatment.
While I'll agree with you that the Shock Collar could be seen mistreatment it could all so be seen as a last resort to discipline Bino. For all we know Jake tried everything else to discipline him and get rid of his problem and the Shock Collar was a last resort. There is no evidence (other than the collar) that shows Bino has been mistreated by Jake he might have been but again we have no real evidence.
valerio

Post by valerio »

you may ne right.
The fact is, I SO hate that instrument, that I can't forgive its use. It just maddens me to no end.! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

EDIT: if you are right, Kitsune, it means that Bino is a deep-core meanie for whom not even such a resort could work. And THAT worries me. A lot.
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

valerio wrote:you may ne right.
The fact is, I SO hate that instrument, that I can't forgive its use. It just maddens me to no end.! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

EDIT: if you are right, Kitsune, it means that Bino is a deep-core meanie for whom not even such a resort could work. And THAT worries me. A lot.
Well we don't know what the problem was that the collar was meant to fix (and unless I misunderstanding you your saying the problem was his meanness) it could have been the Zoning issue he had (though I'm not sure how a shock collar would stop this) or just him talking back to Jake. Now your right it could be his meanness but it was never stated (as far as I could tell) what it was. Even if it is his meanness just because the Shock Collar didn't work doesn't mean that something else couldn't turn Bino around.

Edit: added more thoughts.
Dr. Prower

Post by Dr. Prower »

rickgriffin wrote:Because that's how comic strip characters tended to go. Bino would be mean-spirited and snarky (he was partly based off of Garfield) but would get away with it because he was "lovable" which means "an animal". The entirety of 'Bino Goes to Paris' was mostly Bino getting his owner angry at him for no reason at all.

Of course since I don't like characters like that when you bring them into a setting that is not centered on them, they tend to look like bad guys in comparison to the characters who actually have good qualities, and so his mean-spiritedness became more prominent.

Maybe I ought to do a retread of an old Bino story sometime so you see how he interacts with his owner.
This times 100! I'd love to see some Bino storylines. He's one of my favorite characters.
I ship Grape&Peanut and support King&Bailey
sliceofdog

Post by sliceofdog »

Interestingly, a similar thing happened in Dandy and Company; http://www.dandyandcompany.com/

The original design for the main character Dandy that the author made several years before the comic was completely different, and became the comic's main antagonist as "Evil Dandy".