How Do You Think Pop Culture Is Different In The HPU?

Discuss the comic here
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Re: How Do You Think Pop Culture Is Different In The HPU?

Post by Sleet »

Hlaoroo wrote:I dunno about movies but "Who Let The Dogs Out" wouldn't have caught on since the dogs could have just answered that question. :P
Heck, they probably let themselves out.
That song isn't about dogs but rather is saying "There are a lot of ugly women at this party." :P
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

Post by RandomGeekNamedBrent »

Sleet wrote:
Hlaoroo wrote:I dunno about movies but "Who Let The Dogs Out" wouldn't have caught on since the dogs could have just answered that question. :P
Heck, they probably let themselves out.
That song isn't about dogs but rather is saying "There are a lot of ugly women at this party." :P
actually its about a bunch of disrespectful guys trying to pick up chicks. "i hear a woman shout out, 'who let the dogs out?'"
either way it would be quite insulting to dogs in the HP universe.
Paradigm Shift by me
I do not actually believe any of what I'm saying.
RP character sheets
Douglas Collier

Post by Douglas Collier »

Well, I mean, dogs are kind of ill-mannered in human terms - sniffing butts, chewing with their mouths open, etc.
Douglas isn't my real name, but because of a name block put on me by a higher-order being known as Djinni, I can't say my real name.
TicoTaco

Post by TicoTaco »

I wonder if all pets in the hp universe get education and would want to learn about the world like us
WAKE UP AMERICA!!!
CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

Xane wrote:Yeah, the original artist (Anslem Douglas) even said it's about women calling men who act stupid at parties dogs.

Maybe in the HP universe it's about a mass escape at an obedience boarding school. :lol:
:lol: That's kind of what I imagined it was about in the first place until you guys set me right. :lol:
"It's not my job to seek the truth.
It's not my job to pick a side.
It's not my job to judge your sins.
It's my job to save your life."
-Champion Motto

Game Master for Beacon of Hope. The one and only superhero RP! Join here!
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

What about superheroes and villains that have overt animal themes?

Batman, Penguin, Catwoman, Sabertooth, Rhino, Black Panther...

Heck, just Black Panther alone might be an international incident waiting to happen...
Most important thing I've learned from D&D?
No matter how tempting it may be, as a DM I can't both present a problem and solve it.
Every time a DMPC or NPC fixes something a payer couldn't i'm diminishing and undermining that player's contribution.
Bandit1990

Post by Bandit1990 »

The Buddy Cop - Dog Movie subgenre (K9, Top Dog, Turner and Hooch, etc.) would be different. There would probably be more of them too.

Check out Lightning Dogs on the Nerdyshow Podcast Network

It's an in-development animated series following a team of Anthro-Dogs trapped in the Wastelands of a ruined Earth.
CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

There would probably also be a bunch of K9 officer shows.
"It's not my job to seek the truth.
It's not my job to pick a side.
It's not my job to judge your sins.
It's my job to save your life."
-Champion Motto

Game Master for Beacon of Hope. The one and only superhero RP! Join here!
Douglas Collier

Homeward Bound would be a lot less interesting.

(Over the phone)

"Shadow, I know I said I'd be back this Friday, but I won't be able to be back until next week."

"Oh, ok. We'll wait here a little longer."

*hangs up phone*

"It's a good thing I can understand humans over those things."

THE END :P
Douglas isn't my real name, but because of a name block put on me by a higher-order being known as Djinni, I can't say my real name.
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

Secret Lives of Pets would probably be live action, and suffer from rampant 'incompetent child actor' issues given how HPU pets often act like kids.
No matter how tempting it may be, as a DM I can't both present a problem and solve it.
Every time a DMPC or NPC fixes something a payer couldn't i'm diminishing and undermining that player's contribution.
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

...what about webcomics that heavily feature anthropomorphic animals in place of humans, complete with humanlike anatomy? Especially with comics like SaveState, where humans are actually a fictional species?
Faith doesn't change circumstances. Faith changes me.
SuperStar

Post by SuperStar »

D-Rock wrote:...what about webcomics that heavily feature anthropomorphic animals in place of humans, complete with humanlike anatomy? Especially with comics like SaveState, where humans are actually a fictional species?
Most be considered some pretty animal-superiorist stuff.
FancyHat
Location: Somewhere in the Southern US...Would prefer Scotland.

Post by FancyHat »

...Hm.. Wonder how many games would be directed specifically towards pets.
"Crimes?" "Crimes."
Bandit1990

Post by Bandit1990 »

That's interesting. I wonder what pet targeted games would be like.

It's an in-development animated series following a team of Anthro-Dogs trapped in the Wastelands of a ruined Earth.
Douglas Collier

Human Crossing?
Not A Furry

Post by Not A Furry »

Not pop culture, but if all animals had the same physical speech capabilities I'd say language as a whole would be very different, especially history and how the languages themselves developed. Probably the world's languages would have been more globalized for eons because of mass bird migrations and animal factions having different frontiers than human ones.
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

You know, I just remembered another webcomic that is exclusively populated by anthropomorphic animals. Just to mess with people, we see a strip of a random passerby WALKING A NORMAL QUADROPEDAL DOG. How in the world would something like that translate to the HPU?
Faith doesn't change circumstances. Faith changes me.
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

Artistic license?
upright locomotion is somewhat of an anomaly among most species IRL, even if parallel evolution allowed multiple species to achieve that simultaneously in the HPU, they wouldn't have started like that and still would have needed some ancestor somewhere in history with a different locomotion method.

It would be the equivalent of Dragonball having living dinosaurs in the wild (yes, thats a thing).
House42

Post by House42 »

I was just thinking how HPU might affect parts of JoJo's Bizarre Adventure. Parts of Phantom Blood and Battle Tendency I imagine would be downright unwatchable because they'd scare the living daylights out of pets (what would essentially amount to a snuff movie with Danny's demise in Phantom Blood/watching some squirrel-looking abomination come into existence before going a murderous rampage in Battle Tendency).

Oh, and Iggy would probably add the most sarcastic quips about the antics of Jotaro an co. in Stardust Crusaders, and it would be cool as to see him summon the Fool with a commanding shout like Jotaro summons Star Platinum.
Last edited by House42 on Sat Dec 23, 2017 9:42 am, edited 2 times in total.
Bandit1990

Post by Bandit1990 »

So, there's been a lot of Star Trek talk recent(ish)ly, and as I was mulling things over it occurred to me, Data has a cat. He's never really important to the series, but in the HP! universe that could be different.

Also, in Enterprise (I know, but it's canon), Cpt. Archer has his beagle Porthos along the entire run of the series. Porthos being ill is a major subplot in the season 2 episode A Night in Sickbay. (He's important to the main plot too, for other reasons).

If the Federation is supposed to represent a Utopian future, do you think there would be animal officers on the shows?

Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

What you mean Spot? Maybe she'd replace Wesley.

Wouldn't be hard, given a wet paper bag would be more interesting than Wil Wheaton.
Then the writers wouldn't be able to flanderize him into a mary-sue by trying to shoehorn in plots that are all about the character nobody actually cares about.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

How would team sports be affected? Species leagues or integrated teams? Species specific rules (no marking your goals, claws must be sheathed at all times, no predatory behaviors, etc.)? Would BGardens teams/leagues play outside communities, which would p probably be human exclusive?
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

NHWestoN wrote:How would team sports be affected? Species leagues or integrated teams? Species specific rules (no marking your goals, claws must be sheathed at all times, no predatory behaviors, etc.)? Would BGardens teams/leagues play outside communities, which would p probably be human exclusive?
and suddenly the plot of Air Bud changes from comedic animal hijinks to a period piece on equality.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

I imagine team names would generally be less animal-themed. :P
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Sports and music don't seem to have quite the roles we find in human societies.

Peanut's, Pogo, B.C. and a number of other strips have done a lot with baseball game humor, for example. So, maybe a game between dogs and cats or maybe pets and ferals? Just naming teams would, like Sleet suggests, could be pretty nuts. ("No, Bino, the Cat-Smashers is not a good name for the Club team!" "Alright, Cilantro can play - but only in the outfield!" "Get this, Keene, we let the wolves play as dogs but we bring Jata back with some of his jaguar pals as ringers on the car team - ratings bofferooooo !!!")

Housepets! is a remarkably literate culture, but seems musically underdeveloped. Haven't had a Yarn Ball for a while, for example. Besides Keys and Fiddler (whom I miss), we know Sasha plays a mean piano and Maxwell sings ... or tried singing to impress Grape. Peanut enraptured the Nile Valley kittens with an acapella version of the Star Wars overture. Attempting a concert might be a wild variation on an "Imaginate".

Enough of me. Regards.