How Do You Think Pop Culture Is Different In The HPU?

Discuss the comic here
Legotron123

How Do You Think Pop Culture Is Different In The HPU?

Post by Legotron123 »

How would shows like the Transformers be affected, since the transformation of anyone who turns into a mammal would now consist of simply moving a few parts around to get a tail and a new head? Would Weird Al make songs targeted specifically at cats or dogs? Would the transformation of animal Zord be altered so the combination port doesn't wind up on their butt? How do you think your favorite movies, shows, books, etc. would be different in a world where animals are as intelligent as humans? Explain your opinions in a post below!
Play The Hayseed Knight. This isn’t self promotion, I just really like the game.

You ever realize that the two longest pieces of literature in existence are both fanfics? Weird right?
Douglas Collier

Re: How Do You Think Pop Culture Is Different In The HPU?

Post by Douglas Collier »

I imagine Mishka the husky would still have a YouTube channel, but aye more of a dog chat channel. :P
Douglas isn't my real name, but because of a name block put on me by a higher-order being known as Djinni, I can't say my real name.
Saturn381

Post by Saturn381 »

Does make me wonder what the Lassie series would be like in the Housepets universe. :lol:
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

Post by RandomGeekNamedBrent »

Lassie would actually be able to say "Timmy fell in the well again, whose turn is it to get him out?"
Paradigm Shift by me
I do not actually believe any of what I'm saying.
RP character sheets
SuperStar

Post by SuperStar »

Yeah, they probably have the same movies, but some stuff is different considering animals are intelligent. Toto is probably way more of a companion in HP!'s Wizard of Oz. Also the Lion is realistic, :P
Not A Furry

Post by Not A Furry »

Movies where animals die would be a LOT more sentimental, I'm thinking "I am legend" and "Arn the knight templar" kind of scenes. Just imagine how much more attached the characters would be to their animals if they were able to talk back, even more so being able to speak in their deathbed.
HundKatzeMaus

Post by HundKatzeMaus »

Not A Furry wrote:Movies where animals die would be a LOT more sentimental, I'm thinking "I am legend" and "Arn the knight templar" kind of scenes. Just imagine how much more attached the characters would be to their animals if they were able to talk back, even more so being able to speak in their deathbed.
Oh...I wonder how Old Yeller would look like :shock:

Dunno but for some reason I'm thinking how it could affect Family Guy, would Brain stop falling in love with humans and come together with other dogs? Would Animals be another group for McFarlene's jokes? Most likely. :mrgreen:

I'm also wondering what Grumpycat would do, playing all grumpy or trying to prove she isn't that grumpy?

And the most important:
Would Pluto be finally wear some clothes or would Goofy run around in just a collar? :lol:
Legotron123

Post by Legotron123 »

One movie I think would change a lot is the one the comic always mentions; All Dogs Go to Heaven. The reason everyone wanted that little girl was because she was the only human who could talk to animals, which wouldn't be the case here. So that's the second biggest plot point gone right out of the gate.
Play The Hayseed Knight. This isn’t self promotion, I just really like the game.

You ever realize that the two longest pieces of literature in existence are both fanfics? Weird right?
HundKatzeMaus

Post by HundKatzeMaus »

Legotron123 wrote:One movie I think would change a lot is the one the comic always mentions; All Dogs Go to Heaven. The reason everyone wanted that little girl was because she was the only human who could talk to animals, which wouldn't be the case here. So that's the second biggest plot point gone right out of the gate.
Actually I'm now wondering how this would change many Don Bluth movies:
Could it mean "An american Tail" would be based on a real story?
Actually it would be kinda funny if Fievel existed in the HPU and the movie is based on the biography he wrote, when he immigrated in the US. That is one amazing thought :mrgreen:

Another thought I have is that maybe Tom and Jerry were real persons and their show was done with a lot of amazing effects and well made stunts for comedic purposes :lol:
SuperStar

Post by SuperStar »

Yeah, Tom & Jerry is probably like THE classic slapstick show for pets. I bet Tom and Jerry were/are probably well known animal comedians.
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

Mr. Ed wouldn't need a voiceover or string moving his mouth.
Faith doesn't change circumstances. Faith changes me.
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

Not A Furry wrote:Movies where animals die would be a LOT more sentimental, I'm thinking "I am legend" and "Arn the knight templar" kind of scenes. Just imagine how much more attached the characters would be to their animals if they were able to talk back, even more so being able to speak in their deathbed.
personally I feel the death of an animal a lot more intensely than the death of a human in movies. so I think if the animals could actually act and talk it would have less of an impact, at least for me
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
FancyHat
Location: Somewhere in the Southern US...Would prefer Scotland.

Post by FancyHat »

Ya know, Ol' Yeller would be a lot more erm..Somewhat frightening in its last couple scenes if it was in the HP universe...

Also the whole "Hunting" shows and games wouldn't be as near popular, and more controversial than anything..Though Pretty sure the Sonic games would be a big hit among pets..Except the one which shall not be named..
"Crimes?" "Crimes."
Not A Furry

Post by Not A Furry »

RandomGeekNamedBrent wrote:
personally I feel the death of an animal a lot more intensely than the death of a human in movies. so I think if the animals could actually act and talk it would have less of an impact, at least for me
Death of children in the hands of their parents are the saddest, but with talking animals who could develop such a HUGE bond with the owner they'd come really close.
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

oh yeah, children are pretty bad too. so at least a younger pet dying would hit me hard still
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
HundKatzeMaus

Post by HundKatzeMaus »

FancyHat wrote:Though Pretty sure the Sonic games would be a big hit among pets..Except the one which shall not be named..
I bet the Sonic franchise in the HPU would inspire many Hedgehogs to color their spikes blue and trying to run really fast. It would end in a generation of blue punkish, yet very athletic hedgehog running around, who would stand up for enviroment protection. They would have maybe an attitude problem, but that could be the only downside :mrgreen:
Legotron123

Post by Legotron123 »

That one joke psa from Phineas & Ferb about how platypi keep dying trying to replicate stunts on tv would probably be a lot more dark.
Also, Jonsy wouldn't have survived the movie Alien, since the Xenomorph would definitely view him as a threat here. And those toyline-exclusive Xenomorph forms would probably be a lot more generic.

HundKatzeMaus

Post by HundKatzeMaus »

Since we're talking about popculture in HPU, I think we have to at LEAST mention something:
Pokemon.

I think there would be a HUGE change between our Pokemon and HPU Pokemon :mrgreen:
-Meowth wouldn't be the only one Pokemon being able to talk, I think EVERY pokemon would be able to do so.
-Pokemon being catched and used in matches would be more like some kind of political commentry about how real Pets are treated and how much it has to change.

I'm sure there is much much more, but...I'm not able to come up with more :P

I also want to say, this thread was a really great idea, I like it :mrgreen:
FancyHat

Post by FancyHat »

The Ghost and the Darkness would be a lot more of a horror movie than a adventure thriller. ..Actually thinking about it, a lot of horror movies with animals at their premise would be a LOT more terrifying...Except Jaws..Because you can't make the original Jaws more terrifying than it already is.
"Crimes?" "Crimes."
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

HundKatzeMaus wrote:
FancyHat wrote:Though Pretty sure the Sonic games would be a big hit among pets..Except the one which shall not be named..
I bet the Sonic franchise in the HPU would inspire many Hedgehogs to color their spikes blue and trying to run really fast. It would end in a generation of blue punkish, yet very athletic hedgehog running around, who would stand up for enviroment protection. They would have maybe an attitude problem, but that could be the only downside :mrgreen:
actually, given sega's connections to sonic team back in the early days, and the fact that the HPU would have given their flagship series a tertiary audience not catered to by nintendo's more human-centric protagonists like link and mario, i don't think sega would have fallen behind as badly in the console business and may have found a way to stay in the hardware game by focusing on developers willing to cater to said audience, the same way nintendo has stayed in the game mainly by focusing on younger and/or casual audiences.
Most important thing I've learned from D&D?
No matter how tempting it may be, as a DM I can't both present a problem and solve it.
Every time a DMPC or NPC fixes something a payer couldn't i'm diminishing and undermining that player's contribution.
ThatShepherd

Post by ThatShepherd »

Oh man
It makes me wonder how sad Turner and Hooch would be at the end. . .
Or I guess hooch would just tell turner how his owner was murdered and they would just get a beer or something

I think that was the plot to that movie
TicoTaco

Post by TicoTaco »

I would always imagine that if even animals walk and talk, society will still be the same as ours
WAKE UP AMERICA!!!
Not A Furry

Post by Not A Furry »

TicoTaco wrote:I would always imagine that if even animals walk and talk, society will still be the same as ours
I think if animals suddenly were able to talk a dystopian anarchy and the end of humankind and probably life on earth would be on its way. Because we're human, after all.
tsMKG

Post by tsMKG »

HundKatzeMaus wrote:I bet the Sonic franchise in the HPU would inspire many Hedgehogs to color their spikes blue and trying to run really fast. It would end in a generation of blue punkish, yet very athletic hedgehog running around, who would stand up for enviroment protection. They would have maybe an attitude problem, but that could be the only downside :mrgreen:
Well, and what about Shadow? :mrgreen: And all those Sonic OCs? :lol: (Oh no, that means Coldsteel too :? )
Buster wrote:actually, given sega's connections to sonic team back in the early days, and the fact that the HPU would have given their flagship series a tertiary audience not catered to by nintendo's more human-centric protagonists like link and mario, i don't think sega would have fallen behind as badly in the console business and may have found a way to stay in the hardware game by focusing on developers willing to cater to said audience, the same way nintendo has stayed in the game mainly by focusing on younger and/or casual audiences.
Well, still not by far, remember that those times were when Sega of America and Sega of Japan were competing between themselves. Also, Sonic Xtreme's cancellation would have hit harder in the HPU than here :roll:

Talking about SoJ, what about the Japanese culture? How would it be in the HPU?
Have you been looking at the thing above this? Dis is my old signature and is not relevant anymore.
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

that raises questions about the viability of a live action sonic series...
Most important thing I've learned from D&D?
No matter how tempting it may be, as a DM I can't both present a problem and solve it.
Every time a DMPC or NPC fixes something a payer couldn't i'm diminishing and undermining that player's contribution.
FancyHat

Post by FancyHat »

Japanese culture I think wouldn't really change much..It was rather free from Western influence until the 1500s even then it was only a few tiny encounters and maybe 1 rebellion backed by the Portuguese.. They really never received any major influence until a good 200 years later in the late 1860s and earl 1870s when England, France, Germany, and Murica decided to literally force their way into Japanese culture..Which ended up causing a civil war which destroyed the Samurai way of life, lead to the establishment of the Empire of Japan, which lead to numerous wars until 1945...The only major difference I could think of is that maybe modern Japan would be the most equal country for animal/human rights and that some of their old legends like the Kappa (No, not Koopa.) Probably having some basis in fact.
"Crimes?" "Crimes."
Douglas Collier

Those Japanese cat and fox islands would be even more interesting. And nekomimi would be a lot weirder.
Douglas isn't my real name, but because of a name block put on me by a higher-order being known as Djinni, I can't say my real name.
Not A Furry

Post by Not A Furry »

Douglas Collier wrote:Those Japanese cat and fox islands would be even more interesting. And nekomimi would be a lot weirder.
I wonder if there would be skinnies among animals...
Douglas Collier

Not A Furry wrote:
Douglas Collier wrote:Those Japanese cat and fox islands would be even more interesting. And nekomimi would be a lot weirder.
I wonder if there would be skinnies among animals...
Something like this?

Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

I imagine pop culture is pretty similar. Especially since animal people would still be a thing. They're just less fiction-based than in real life!
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
tsMKG

Post by tsMKG »

What about werewolves?
Have you been looking at the thing above this? Dis is my old signature and is not relevant anymore.
Not A Furry

Post by Not A Furry »

werehumans?
SuperStar

Post by SuperStar »

tsMKG wrote:What about werewolves?
Well we know from "Hope of the Pridelands" that werewolves are still a thing, but we can assume their just humans that turn into full-wolves, not halfhuman wolf things. Also potentially lacking tails, but that could've be a director's choice.
Not A Furry

Post by Not A Furry »

SuperStar wrote:Also potentially lacking tails, but that could've be a director's choice.
Wasn't that mentioned in one of Rick's HP lore stories?
Obbl
Smiley McSmiles

Post by Obbl »

This should be the first mention of it. I don't recall if Rick expounded later
Not A Furry

Post by Not A Furry »

Obbl wrote:This should be the first mention of it. I don't recall if Rick expounded later
Yep, that's the one.
Hlaoroo
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!

Post by Hlaoroo »

I dunno about movies but "Who Let The Dogs Out" wouldn't have caught on since the dogs could have just answered that question. :P
Heck, they probably let themselves out.
Frostwood Forever! <3

My RP Characters

Avatar drawn by the amazing ScruffKerfluff!

D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

A cat let them out, I bet, just to be a jerk.
Faith doesn't change circumstances. Faith changes me.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Hlaoroo wrote:I dunno about movies but "Who Let The Dogs Out" wouldn't have caught on since the dogs could have just answered that question. :P
That song isn't about dogs but rather is saying "There are a lot of ugly women at this party." :P
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

Sleet wrote:
Hlaoroo wrote:I dunno about movies but "Who Let The Dogs Out" wouldn't have caught on since the dogs could have just answered that question. :P
That song isn't about dogs but rather is saying "There are a lot of ugly women at this party." :P
actually its about a bunch of disrespectful guys trying to pick up chicks. "i hear a woman shout out, 'who let the dogs out?'"
either way it would be quite insulting to dogs in the HP universe.
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets