Wish upon a star.

Discuss the comic here
Adoring Fan

Wish upon a star.

Post by Adoring Fan »

So i thought this could be fun and might even give ideas since its obvious that rick pays careful attention to his fan-base. I don't think there will be a problem as long as everyone is civil and remembers that its just our own personal wishes. SO! what do YOU want to see happen before the end of the house-pets comic? Relationships, successes or failures of characters answers to questions that have or haven't been asked? What is your wish on a star?

My list:

1. Grapenut - Before the end of the comic i would love to see those too get together cannonicly.

2. "Pete's Dragon" - Will we ever meet them again, and since time is subjective have we met them already?**

** See my housepet's theory on King and Tarot
Image Image
GameCobra

Re: Wish upon a star.

Post by GameCobra »

Kitten.

Kitten sandwiches.

*melts into a puddle of goo*
3 words - Liquid Metal Fur
Not A Furry

Post by Not A Furry »

Relevant:

Not that I'm against it....
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

I remember before King and Bailey had their kids it was pretty much a pipe dream.

I always felt since the N-Ple date arc that the Sandwich family in pecticular would be the best indepth family to explore a serious relationship between pets. I want to see it taken to it's logical extreme <3

I can't excuse that beforehand though i was nutty about everyone having kids (like the guest comic implies =P), but thinking about it ~ that's too much for poor Rick. I'll be happy enough with just the Sandwiches and King/Bailey, honestly. Feels like a nice way to end the comic :3
HellishK9

Post by HellishK9 »

I think we can all agree that the pets having kids anywhere near now would be extremely unsettling.
It's pretty obvious what I'm aligned with when it comes to the relationships of the pets.
Other than relationships, it would be cool if we could see Pete and Dragon again, I miss those two.

Housepets! is a great thing that's been going on for over 9 years now (congrats on that!). It's fanbase has grown significantly and is still growing.
All in all, I don't know what's going to happen down the road or how long that road is, but I'm sure it will be a great adventure.
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

HellishK9 wrote:I think we can all agree that the pets having kids anywhere near now would be extremely unsettling.
It's pretty obvious what I'm aligned with when it comes to the relationships of the pets.
Other than relationships, it would be cool if we could see Pete and Dragon again, I miss those two.

Housepets! is a great thing that's been going on for over 9 years now (congrats on that!). It's fanbase has grown significantly and is still growing.
All in all, I don't know what's going to happen down the road or how long that road is, but I'm sure it will be a great adventure.
I woudln't say extremely unsettling... but yes, I would also agree it's too soon x3
Not A Furry

Post by Not A Furry »

Peanut would have to mature a lot before having pups.
Or maybe mature by having pups.
Or maybe not mature at all, which would be extremely funny.
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

Not A Furry wrote:Peanut would have to mature a lot before having pups.
I would love to see Tarot pull a Sailor Moon moment on Peanut - a pup from the future/alternate dimension/pocket universe/heaven and see if he can put two and two together. x3
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

A) the characters go back to having normal-looking eyes, for good, at some point. (the frequent lack of irises looks creepy. It's a trait i'm used to associating with characters who are possessed.)

B) Daisy gets her own arc.
Most important thing I've learned from D&D?
No matter how tempting it may be, as a DM I can't both present a problem and solve it.
Every time a DMPC or NPC fixes something a payer couldn't i'm diminishing and undermining that player's contribution.
Not A Furry

Post by Not A Furry »

GameCobra wrote:
Not A Furry wrote:Peanut would have to mature a lot before having pups.
I would love to see Tarot pull a Sailor Moon moment on Peanut - a pup from the future/alternate dimension/pocket universe/heaven and see if he can put two and two together. x3
That'd be just awesome. And I need it to happen.
Buster wrote:A) the characters go back to having normal-looking eyes, for good, at some point. (the frequent lack of irises looks creepy. It's a trait i'm used to associating with characters who are possessed.)
So much this
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

pretty much everything else about the art style's evolution over the years has been an improvement, except for the eyes, which have gotten progressively beadier and creepier looking.
No matter how tempting it may be, as a DM I can't both present a problem and solve it.
Every time a DMPC or NPC fixes something a payer couldn't i'm diminishing and undermining that player's contribution.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

I wanna see Grape and Peanut get together, of course. :3 But also the big supernatural stuff get resolved, 'cause those plot lines never interested me much.
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
HellishK9

Post by HellishK9 »

I forgot to mention Rufus and the barn cats.
Rufus showed up for valentine's day in 2016, but other than that they've been gone for a long time.
Not A Furry

Post by Not A Furry »

I don't think we'll see the barn cats any time soon...
I'd like to see Rufus again though.
Last edited by Not A Furry on Wed Jun 14, 2017 3:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Saturn381

Post by Saturn381 »

I wanna see Fido and Sabrina start a family of their own.
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

Post by RandomGeekNamedBrent »

HellishK9 wrote:I forgot to mention Rufus and the barn cats.
careful what you wish for.
Paradigm Shift by me
I do not actually believe any of what I'm saying.
RP character sheets
Not A Furry

Post by Not A Furry »

I'm starting to think that either Rick has alt accounts on the forums or is a time traveler.
That comic was uploaded a long time ago
HellishK9

Post by HellishK9 »

RandomGeekNamedBrent wrote:
HellishK9 wrote:I forgot to mention Rufus and the barn cats.
careful what you wish for.
We got him back, maybe under unexpected circumstances, but it's still Rufus.
At least he's no longer burdened by age.
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

On the bright side, this serves as proof that Rick cant technically kill off mortal characters, since they can just pop back for visits if there's a decent excuse...
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

Like Dragon Ball.

Yaaaaaaaay!
SuperStar

Post by SuperStar »

GameCobra wrote:Like Dragon Ball.

Yaaaaaaaay!
Peanut will die in the final battle of this arc, so his friends have to collect the 7 Serpent Spheres from across the dimensions to summon Bahamut and revive him. However Peanut contacts them and tells them not to revive him until a year has passed because he's training with the Northern Supreme Good-boy in order to stop the typhonic beasts that are own their way to Dimension Prime. Dang it, now I need to write that...
CanzetYote

Post by CanzetYote »

Therapy Buddy: An arc starring Mungo and Tiger of all characters. Sick of Tiger's problems and outbursts, Marvin seeks out help in the form of a therapy dog. That's where Mungo comes in and he agrees to take on a part time job of helping Tiger cope with his emotions. At first, Tiger is annoyed by Mungo but at some point, they find a common interest and become friends. Tiger tearfully opens up to Mungo about all the abuse he's been through because of his name and we get to see Tiger in a much more sympathetic light beyond his comic relief antics and death threats. By the end of the arc, Tiger has made a new friend in Mungo and Mungo promises to have occasional visits with Tiger as follow-ups.

(Please, I need this to happen. It would absolutely make my day if not my life)

EDIT: Thought of asnother idea for a story arc:

Drama Among Nerds: A new pet (a hairless sphinx cat named Xayne) moves into Babylon Gardens. Xayne is mute and uses a Stephen Hawking-esq machine to speak. He's also a tremendous nerd and becomes the first cat to be part of Joey's circle of nerd friends. Xayne becomes very close buds with Dallas and Lester starts getting jealous of him. Eventually, Lester hatches an evil scheme to get rid of Xayne so he can be best friends with Dallas again. Lester enlists help from Bino and bribes him with money to destroy Xayne's speech machine. At first, Bino refuses to accept an offer from a nerd but after Lester mentions that Xayne is a cat, Bino agrees to help him. The next day, Bino ambushes Xayne and destroys his machine. Tarot arrives at the nerd club and informs Joey and Dallas about Lester and Bino's plan to destroy Xayne's speech machine. They go off to find Xayne crying soblessly over his broken machine and as Dallas consoles Xayne, Joey is so enraged that he confronts Lester and kicks him out of the club. Disgusted by Lester and Bino's actions, Joey talks to Fox who arrests them and makes the two do community service at a cat shelter. Dallas decides to sacrifice money he was saving for a con to buy Xayne a new speech machine.
Last edited by CanzetYote on Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Douglas Collier

Post by Douglas Collier »

Definitely think it would be adorable for Mungo to be Tiger's therapist. Bonus if Tiger awkwardly meets Bino in the waiting room.
Douglas isn't my real name, but because of a name block put on me by a higher-order being known as Djinni, I can't say my real name.
CanzetYote

Post by CanzetYote »

Douglas Collier wrote:Definitely think it would be adorable for Mungo to be Tiger's therapist. Bonus if Tiger awkwardly meets Bino in the waiting room.
Yeah, I know Tiger got his own arc with "Tiger's Very Own Super Special Television Show!" but it never really explored the root of his problems. I'd love to see Tiger open up to someone else besides Marvin about his bullying problems. He doesn't really seem to have a whole lot of close friends so it would be healthy for him and Mungo to bond. Most of the time Tiger shows up, he does a bunch of funny and violent stuff. I really want to see a sadder, more vulnerable side to him on display. It could really help flesh him out in the long run.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

As long as he's still unstable, which is what makes him one of my favorite characters. Also, add "another Tiger arc" to my wishes.
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Random reflections .... I'd be intrigued to see...

Not necessarily a complete Grapenut "ship", but I miss (1) their one-on-one games, plays, and stunts, (2) their spontaneous "I love you" outbursts and displays of affection, and (3) the occasional poignant moment of misunderstanding or tenderness between them.

I'd like to see Fido and Sabrina more as a couple, working through the complications of their respective professions together.

Arcs involving growing rivalries between the Ferrets and Duchess.

An attempt to introduce two pet sport teams in the Gardens (baseball, football, whatever...) and have them play a game. Could be a lot of fun and a chance to get the wider cast together.

Jessica tries to get the ferrets to consider feral rights.

Ink has a crisis of faith in the "Opener" just as Jessica begins to wonder if there's something to the whole business of spirituality. Zach, of course, is just trying to do right by then both.

Fox, Grape, and Maxwell remember their shared encounter with "Fluffy Gator", Fox reflects on his struggles to overcome anti-cat upbringing and Max resolves to do something heroic.

Tarot has an adventure of her own and experiences a sense of joy from the outcome.

Bino and Tiger device to raise money for the Club selling Rex's baked goods, move into helping Jack Wolf and Cilantro fence not items, and run a foul of Terrance.

Daisy needs some spotlight ... (1) as Sasha's friend, she could be involved in an exploration of Sashe's backstory, (2) as a love interest for Fox who needs a mortal gal pal, (3) as a pet with aspirations of becoming some kind of professional but has obstacles as we all do - first formal on the K9 force, say, or (4) as an interlocutor between pets, people, and ferals.

The Great Kitsune takes shine to King's puppies and "Uncle Kit" takes the threesome on adventures, field trips, time travels, and tells them stories which the children imagine as acted out by King, Bailey, Peanut, Grape, Miles, Lucretia and other pets they know.

Regards.
CanzetYote

Post by CanzetYote »

I'd love to see Terrance get his own arc considering he's easily the most neglected character among the K9 unit. I haven't seen him for years now and he was funny in the few strips he was in.

Also, I'd love to see Lester and Dallas get equally nerdy love interests at some point and possibly a super geeky hairless sphynx cat to join Joey's nerdy friends as the token cat of the club.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Pete sets himself up as an "entrepreneur" in the nearby forest and involves Cilantro, "four-finger discount Jack" Wolf, and some of the Garden's less scrupulous members in a plot to bankrupt the ferrets through investing in a ponzie scheme.
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

Forgot about the prospect of the pets living normal lives like humans to see what it's like to live in their shoes - working a job, paying taxes, feeding the family... and using their pet senses to do other trivial things :3
CHAOKOCartoons
Banner Artist
Location: On this 3 dimensional shape we call "The place we happen to exist I guess?"

Post by CHAOKOCartoons »

Wish number 1: More cats, maybe a Sphynx cat and Munchkin, those are unique breeds that haven't been shown! Then again, I guess new characters near the end probably isn't the best idea. Oops!

Wish number 2: Never actually seeing Pete and Dragon again, let their ending be! I like conclusive antagonist character story lines! Hmm, guess that'd make people upset though. Oops!

Wish number 3: If any of the main parings do break up (Peanut and Tarot/Grape and Max), leave it open ended! Don't do the typical thing and put the otp together, being mushy friends is okay, and you don't always have to end up with the first person you fall for in the end! I guess the fans will kill me for that one though. Oops!

Well, now that I've made three wishes that will ultimately bring chaos, I guess I can take them all back. So long as, Mr. Wishingstar, you
grant me immortality, eternal youth, and the power to fell all my foes. This seems like a fair exchange! :mrgreen:
ImageImageImageImage
Douglas Collier

Post by Douglas Collier »

Yep, we’re gonna kill ya, CHAOKO. :P

Wish 1: I also wish for a munchkin cat in the comic that befriends King and Bailey. (I don’t think we’re quite at the end yet).

Wish 2: I want to see Pete and Dragon again, but only as mortals who have ordinary (kind of boring) lives.

Wish 3: I wish for happy, if not perfect, relationships. (I wish Peanut made Tarot happy more often than being seen as a thing that gets in the way)
Douglas isn't my real name, but because of a name block put on me by a higher-order being known as Djinni, I can't say my real name.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

I'll venture in very slowly here.... don't wanna hit any wishes attached to explosive devices....

Wish one ... Wouldn't mind a couple more cat characters myself. Lots of possible arcs with existing characters, too, who have faded or slipped to walk-on parts.

Wish two ... Pete and Dragon as mortals could be fun. Hey, it worked for Laurel and Gary, Martin and Lewis, Hope and Crosby, Abbott and Costello, right?

Wish Three .... "ships" are always perilous. Um ...Okay .... Daisy and Fox !!!

...and I'm running now!
CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

Actually I myself think that the second wish you made sounds like it could be an interesting idea. I've been curious as to what they were turned into and if they have their memories of being demigods.
"It's not my job to seek the truth.
It's not my job to pick a side.
It's not my job to judge your sins.
It's my job to save your life."
-Champion Motto

Game Master for Beacon of Hope. The one and only superhero RP! Join here!
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Cerberus and Eudoant walk into a bar ....
Zenir

Post by Zenir »

I wish I wish upon a fish to....

1) see Dragon and Pete again (yay! been dreaming since day 1)

2) see my beloved Keene be together with... HEI! WAIT, this is happening right now! Yay!!

3) see Dragon and Pete again
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Cerberus, Eudoant, Pete, and Dragon walk into a bar.....
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

NHWestoN wrote:Cerberus, Eudoant, Pete, and Dragon walk into a bar.....
*clonk* *thwack* *CLANG!* *thwump*

Forgotten: "How is This One the only one that did not FORGET to duck?"
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

What duck?
Legotron123

Post by Legotron123 »

I want a proper explanation for how PETA guy brainwashed Sasha. I’ve actually done research on real life brainwashing, and what we were told he did (brainwashing her at the weekly one hour obedience class) is literally impossible without magic or some sci-fi technology. I’ve said this before in my other rants about this, but real brainwashing is all about HEAVY isolation, I’m talking locking them in a dark room for months and making sure you’re their only source of social interaction and information level of isolation. A weekly hour long session where everyone gets to go home afterwards and where you have no control over what they do outside of those sessions is the exact opposite of that. If it turns out he did use magic or one of those videos filled with subliminal messages that only works in fiction, that’s fine, it fits the more cartoony world of Housepets. But we didn’t even get a token explanation, and as someone who found brainwashed Sasha to be really painful to watch, the fact that it wound up being so meaningless that Rick didn’t think it deserved an explanation actually offends me.
Play The Hayseed Knight. This isn’t self promotion, I just really like the game.

You ever realize that the two longest pieces of literature in existence are both fanfics? Weird right?
Obbl
Smiley McSmiles

Post by Obbl »

We're actually not given any details on how the obedience training was scheduled, and Daisy says, "...when Sasha came back from obedience training..." which could just as easily mean a full week or even month long stay at the training camp as it could day classes. The obedience school was also noted to be "training pets in subversive activities", and that a raid was being done, which could indicate a rescue of any remaining dogs as well as the standard arresting of involved individuals.
It's also important to note that Daisy mentions that Sasha was already struggling with the expectations placed on her (by society and especially by her owner) to completely submit to authority, which may be meant to indicate that she was already particularly susceptible to these techniques.

Now, on top of all that, brainwashing is a pretty common fiction trope (which you already mentioned). Why wouldn't you just assume that anything incongruous with reality can likely be chalked up to this trope? Rick does put some effort into avoiding just completely hand-waving things usually, but you're probably one of the only ones on this forum that could even begin to explain what's wrong with the "brainwashing" as presented in this arc. Authors can't make everything 100% correct all the time.