A really sad theory about King

Discuss the comic here
CanzetYote

A really sad theory about King

Post by CanzetYote »

Guys, I had just a rather heartwrenching theory: What if Olive, Ace and Rook were named after Joel's pets?

I know it sounds like a weird theory but Joel's 3 abused pets were never given names. What if King named his puppies after the trio of abused pets who abandoned him as a Freudian way to cope with the loss of his old pet friends who turned on him? I mean, who knows? Maybe on some level, King feels some level of pity towards them despite the betrayal so he's naming his puppies after them as a way to "start a new beginning" with Olive, Ace and Rook?

Also, another thought: What would happen if King visited heaven again and crossed paths with the old pets who turned on him when he was Joel? I'm sure he'd recognize them but would they recognize him (Not visually, but who knows? Maybe Joel's old scent still lingers on King). Because let's face it: At this point, Joel's 3 unnamed pets likely died of old age so there's no way he can cross paths with them in the physical realm.

Dunno if a topic like this has been posted before, it just suddenly popped into my head and made me feel all sad.
SuperStar

Re: A really sad theory about King

Post by SuperStar »

It's an interesting idea but I doubt the pups are named after anyone, as their names are derived from King's own name.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

That's an interesting theory! I like it.

Their names could be derivative, yes, but perhaps that could be related to why "King" was chosen as his dog name, yeah?
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
SuperStar

Post by SuperStar »

Sleet wrote:Their names could be derivative, yes, but perhaps that could be related to why "King" was chosen as his dog name, yeah?
Takes on a whole new level if that's the case, Pete viewing his life and giving him a name that connected him to all three of his pets O_O
valerio

Post by valerio »

It would show that after all these years he really forgave them and is working hard to redeem their memories, and in doing so further exorcise his own past. It is cute <3
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Well, "Rook" continues the chess game theme started with King's name and dog tag ...
Douglas Collier

Post by Douglas Collier »

I doubt that he would, since they basically ruined his love of animals to begin with. Not much to redeem them, and King isn’t really the kind to forgive and forget.
Douglas isn't my real name, but because of a name block put on me by a higher-order being known as Djinni, I can't say my real name.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

...And Bailey probably chose one of those names at least. But, I admit, Valerio, I really warmed to your insight. Besides the redemptive dimension, there's a great story dormant there. (Dad, Dad, tell us where you and Mom got our names !!!)

However, turn off the moonbeams. At this point in the King epic, Doug, you're probably dead on.

Regards.