King's Secret

Discuss the comic here
Bandit1990

King's Secret

Post by Bandit1990 »

Sorry for the title, I'm bad at naming things.

This doesn't seem to quite fit into either of the future arc threads, but it's something I've been thinking about and I have no one to talk to about this, so I'll put it here.

To start, Here is a list of every character that is confirmed to at least partially know the truth of King's history:

Fox, Bailey, Tarot, Sabrina, Keene, Rock, Cameron, & Daryl (other). Let me know if I missed anyone.

Now most of these people can be counted on to keep their mouths shut for various reasons, but lately I've been wondering, Did Daryl tell Miles about everything that happened in Australia?

The wolf pack are the only characters that King regularly interacts with that supposedly don't know, I can picture a scene where he says something off, or flubs something (which he still occasionally does) and gets all worried, just to have Miles or Jack step in like "relax, we've known for months, we were just waiting for you to bring it up."

So just something to stew over, (I never know how to end these)

Check out Lightning Dogs on the Nerdyshow Podcast Network

It's an in-development animated series following a team of Anthro-Dogs trapped in the Wastelands of a ruined Earth.
Not A Furry

Re: King's Secret

Post by Not A Furry »

Yeah I'd like this topic addressed at some point in the comic, is it a generally known thing? What do the other pets/humans think about it, if they even know? Or is it a taboo?
Douglas Collier

Post by Douglas Collier »

Yeah, I mean, even if King thinks he's put his past life behind him, that was twenty-something years of his life - certainly longer than he's been a dog. He can't just forget it, and it's bound to slip out eventually. I'd actually like to see one of the wolves just confront him about it - tell him it's as much a part of him as the woods are still a part of them, and to not be ashamed of it.
Douglas isn't my real name, but because of a name block put on me by a higher-order being known as Djinni, I can't say my real name.
CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

Definitely a good idea for an arc. There's a lot of potential there.
"It's not my job to seek the truth.
It's not my job to pick a side.
It's not my job to judge your sins.
It's my job to save your life."
-Champion Motto

Game Master for Beacon of Hope. The one and only superhero RP! Join here!
CanzetYote

Post by CanzetYote »

I still wanna know if the three abused pets that King knew back when he was Joel will make a reappearance in the comic. It would certainly make for some interesting if awkward interactions.
CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

Considering they were full grown adults when he was a child and he's an adult now... I don't know how long animal lifespans are in this universe but if it's like ours then they probably aren't around anymore.
"It's not my job to seek the truth.
It's not my job to pick a side.
It's not my job to judge your sins.
It's my job to save your life."
-Champion Motto

Game Master for Beacon of Hope. The one and only superhero RP! Join here!
CanzetYote

Post by CanzetYote »

CyberDragon wrote:Considering they were full grown adults when he was a child and he's an adult now... I don't know how long animal lifespans are in this universe but if it's like ours then they probably aren't around anymore.
If King ever returns to heaven or if King's old pets decide to take haunting classes, they could still pop up at some point.
Bandit1990

Post by Bandit1990 »

None of the characters (save the cubs) seem to have aged significantly in the 10? year run of the comic, and I do remember reading somewhere that animal lifespans are longer in the HP! universe, but I don't recall if that's canon or not.

Check out Lightning Dogs on the Nerdyshow Podcast Network

It's an in-development animated series following a team of Anthro-Dogs trapped in the Wastelands of a ruined Earth.
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

CyberDragon wrote:Considering they were full grown adults when he was a child and he's an adult now... I don't know how long animal lifespans are in this universe but if it's like ours then they probably aren't around anymore.
if i remember correctly, about 40 years under ideal conditions, significantly shorter for wild/stray/ferral animals. could be wrong though.
Most important thing I've learned from D&D?
No matter how tempting it may be, as a DM I can't both present a problem and solve it.
Every time a DMPC or NPC fixes something a payer couldn't i'm diminishing and undermining that player's contribution.
Obbl
Smiley McSmiles

Post by Obbl »

Buster wrote:
if i remember correctly, about 40 years under ideal conditions, significantly shorter for wild/stray/ferral animals. could be wrong though.
Yes, Rick has put it this way a few times
Bandit1990 wrote:None of the characters (save the cubs) seem to have aged significantly in the 10? year run of the comic, and I do remember reading somewhere that animal lifespans are longer in the HP! universe, but I don't recall if that's canon or not.
Time and age have canonically been linked only as strongly as Rick says they are ;)
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

i usually measure passage of time in fiction by the number of canon Christmas specials. we've had 1 (the imaginate play)
No matter how tempting it may be, as a DM I can't both present a problem and solve it.
Every time a DMPC or NPC fixes something a payer couldn't i'm diminishing and undermining that player's contribution.
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

This kind of thing is always an interesting idea.
Faith doesn't change circumstances. Faith changes me.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Buster wrote:i usually measure passage of time in fiction by the number of canon Christmas specials. we've had 1 (the imaginate play)
I'm assuming it's a matter of time passing but ages not changing. It's pretty common in cartoons.
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

Post by RandomGeekNamedBrent »

Buster wrote:i usually measure passage of time in fiction by the number of canon Christmas specials. we've had 1 (the imaginate play)
there's at least one comic that is clearly set on or around Christmas every year. imaginate play, King's proposal, King's introduction, the last panel of the comic with the birth of King's pups, the first comic in color was a christmas comic, the wolves at the zoo arc was around Christmas, the last comic of the Fox and Mungo Arc, the Openermas arc, the first arc with Res.

that's 9 Christmas comics for 9 years. the comic's time generally lines up with real time at an arc's beginning, then falls behind but sometimes has a timeskip at the end to catch back up for special events

As Sleet said , though, it probably operates on Cartoon time like how Bart and Lisa Simpson don't know about the 90s despite being their current age in 88.
Paradigm Shift by me
I do not actually believe any of what I'm saying.
RP character sheets
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Another variation for this topic is generational. Fido and Sabrina are older than Peanut and Grape, for example, and apparently by a number of years. Sabrina makes very clear to Grape - indeed, threatening our beloved purple feline with dental mayhem - that her age is a taboo topic. Tarot also seems older than Peanut. How did Joel's age translate into dog years when he became King? Is Miles significantly older than the Pete? Are Joey, Lester, and Dallas junior to Peanut and Grape? What role does birth place play in their relationships?
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

uh... i don't think any of the pets are older than pete...
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

True, Buster. The celestial are likely unbound by time. Wish I could remember what I wrote that the stoopid tablet decided to alter. Still, age sequence may play a role in some of the relationships: regards.