2018/07/20 - Scre

For old comic discussions threads! seriously what did you think
D-Rock

2018/07/20 - Scre

Post by D-Rock »

[2018/07/20 - Scre]
Title Text: Sam the Eagle says, "AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA"

It's alright, they got another Daryl.
Faith doesn't change circumstances. Faith changes me.
Saturn381

Re: 2018/07/20 - Scre

Post by Saturn381 »

And so the hunt for the wolves has begun.
D-Rock wrote:It's alright, they got another Daryl.
They've probably got him too, though he might be too big the carry. :P
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

Okay, so where going with individual kidnappings per strip.

And seriously. UGH, Daryl still doesn't understand that no one is making them change who they are. They're still wolves, they just need to adapt to human society since they've been living there for NINE years. They're still a pack and family. I know Miles explained this over and over. I guess we know the other reason why Daryl was not made the Alpha besides the AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH! part.

Look at King. He's been a dog for almost nine years now and he never changed who he is. He grew as a person and matured. And you know, overcame some deep personal issues that may or may not still linger within him that nothing other than a qualified therapist can cure.

Is it me or has Other Daryl gotten fatter?
Housepets! Fan Fiction By Fenrir Black M.A.
There is a price to pay for defying fate.
Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

fenrirblack wrote:Okay, so where going with individual kidnappings per strip.

And seriously. UGH, Daryl still doesn't understand that no one is making them change who they are. They're still wolves, they just need to adapt to human society since they've been living there for NINE years. They're still a pack and family. I know Miles explained this over and over. I guess we know the other reason why Daryl was not made the Alpha besides the AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH! part.
I raaaather think Gale's explaining that to him now - intentionally or not - in a far more direct way. And I'm CERTAIN Miles knew she's here.

There’s one down and several to go
as Daryl goes up like a rocket.
It’s a good job Gale didn’t go
for the other Daryl there though
or her arm would be pulled from the socket.
Wandering around, not in the know,
forgetting the skills of the wild.
Perhaps she’ll grab North Star?
We know he’s sure to go far
even though he’s still really a child.
Wolves vs Cougar, a battle of will,
at the moment she’s winning. One-nil.
Commander Hawle. U.S.C. Loper. By the talented DDeer.
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
David Campbell - 7 – 8 – 9 – 5 – 4 – 4 – 6
Corp Davidstow 6 - 6 - 7 - 3 - 6 - 6 - 5 (reactions 7 Combat 9)
ChekeBello

Post by ChekeBello »

Welsh Halfwit wrote: And I'm CERTAIN Miles knew she's here.
Haven't give this a thought b4, but u are absolutely right, Miles also refused to help, maybe this is all part of the plan?
Rikunda

Post by Rikunda »

1) Daryl has lost a lot of weight around his face, but none anywhere else... Odd.
2) Is Ice Cream Taster a real job? Where do I apply?!
Quote:
Mother Teresa wrote:Being unwanted, unloved, uncared for, forgotten by everybody, I think that is a much greater hunger, a much greater poverty than the person who has nothing to eat.
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

ChekeBello wrote:
Haven't give this a thought b4, but u are absolutely right, Miles also refused to help, maybe this is all part of the plan?
You really think Miles is that sadistic to let his family fend for themselves at the claws of an angry cougar?
Rikunda wrote:
2) Is Ice Cream Taster a real job? Where do I apply?!
I guess you could try the Ben and Jerry's factory.

Daryl is right about one thing. Human stuff is hard.
CHAOKOCartoons
Banner Artist
Location: On this 3 dimensional shape we call "The place we happen to exist I guess?"

Post by CHAOKOCartoons »

But which Daryl is the one who screamed? Depending on the answer we can at least have reassurance of the safety of one of their necks :P
ImageImageImageImage
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

fenrirblack wrote:
ChekeBello wrote:
You really think Miles is that sadistic to let his family fend for themselves at the claws of an angry cougar?
One, it's not that uncommon of a trope in comedies for the one giving the test to set up the characters to fail to prove a point.
Two, still don't think that's the case unless Gale and Miles had a talk off-panel about this, especially considering Gale's reaction to seeing the pack, and I doubt Miles is that much of a "sink or swim" teacher. The wolf ritual had plenty of safety precautions, considering.

Basically I think we're going for the showdown between Miles and Gale for a rescue mission eventually.
Faith doesn't change circumstances. Faith changes me.
Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

D-Rock wrote: One, it's not that uncommon of a trope in comedies for the one giving the test to set up the characters to fail to prove a point.
Two, still don't think that's the case unless Gale and Miles had a talk off-panel about this, especially considering Gale's reaction to seeing the pack, and I doubt Miles is that much of a "sink or swim" teacher. The wolf ritual had plenty of safety precautions, considering.

Basically I think we're going for the showdown between Miles and Gale for a rescue mission eventually.
I'm thinking he does know and he knows what SHE knows. They can beat her if they act as a united front. These guys don't act as a pack any more.

Plus, if you recall, she met the group before they left. She actually calls him Miles and states he ceded her the territory. I'm sure he's thinking she's still there and he's not been to find her? He knows she's coming...
Commander Hawle. U.S.C. Loper. By the talented DDeer.
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
David Campbell - 7 – 8 – 9 – 5 – 4 – 4 – 6
Corp Davidstow 6 - 6 - 7 - 3 - 6 - 6 - 5 (reactions 7 Combat 9)
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

I could totally see this as all part of the plan. Miles gets them all to hate living in the wild so they want to get jobs/got to school as soon as possible.
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

Lets plot out the scenarios.

First D-Rock’s

King: “Hey Miles, the others aren’t back yet. Should we be worried?
Miles: “I’m not worried. You see, King. I planned this trip to teach them that the wild is a unforgiving place. I knew they would not be able to fend for themselves anymore. Any time now they’ll come staggering back to camp with their tail between their legs begging to go home.
King: “You really think that’s going to happen? What about that scream we heard?”
Miles: “If you’ve lived with Daryl for as long as I have then you get used to it.”
King: “If you say so. I’m still concerned.”
Miles: “What’s the worse that could happen?”

Next Welish Halfwit’s

Miles: “No, Gale is just giving them a hard time.
King: “Who is Gale?”
Miles: “A cougar we used to know back when we lived here. She’s mad that we’ve invaded what she believes is her territory.”
King: “WHAT? You brought us to a cougar’s territory!”
Miles: “Don’t fret about it. Once she gives the others a good roughing up, we’ll go in and get them back. Afterwards they’ll beg us to take them back home.
King: “What do you mean ‘we?’”

Kakashi did that with Boruto and the other students in Episode 37. Knowing that they would never get The bells but having them work together to prove their resolve.
Champion Wallace

Post by Champion Wallace »

Looks like Daryl has expanded his girly screams from E's to A's:
fenrirblack wrote:Is it me or has Other Daryl gotten fatter?
1. He is angled more towards the camera and you can see more of him, so his girth is more apparent.
2. It's hard to draw 100% consistently. If he was draw just a bit fatter today and a bit slimmer last time, he will lookr more fat, but over all his appearances it will even out more.
3. It's possible it's slightly more exaturated because people were complaining he looked less fat last time.
4. Your line is supposed to be "Boy, Other Daryl sure is looking fat today, even moreso than usual."
The cape comes with the promotion.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Hey, I saw this on an episode of the "Beanie and Cecil" puppet show back in 1953!! See, the gang's all trapped in what they think is a haunted house and, one by one, Dishonest John bops 'em on the head until he's captured everybody except ...

Oh...never mind. Look, when you get to be my age, you'll have a ton of useless mental detritus in your brains, too...
Last edited by NHWestoN on Fri Jul 20, 2018 12:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gbr23

Post by Gbr23 »

The Daryl’s are OUT

Neeeeeeeeeeeext
ImageImage
Wanna check my DeviantArt ? Here you go!
Argent

Post by Argent »

He's spherical again. Gale can just roll him away.
Welsh Halfwit wrote:Plus, if you recall, she met the group before they left. She actually calls him Miles and states he ceded her the territory.
"Ceded the territory" could simply mean he left.
Cinnamon "Sixtoes" Walton (M Pine Marten #B06060) @
Pitchpipe (F Jackrabbit #808060) @
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

I'm inclined to agree that "ceding the territory", as Argent suggests, meant that the wolves simply moved on with no formal arrangements regarding possession. Either way, Gale's clearly NOT a "come let us reason together" gal.........
Bandit1990

Post by Bandit1990 »

fenrirblack wrote:Lets plot out the scenarios.

First D-Rock’s

Miles: “I’m not worried. You see, King. I planned this trip to teach them that the wild is a unforgiving place. I knew they would not be able to fend for themselves anymore. Any time now they’ll come staggering back to camp with their tail between their legs begging to go home.
King: “You really think that’s going to happen? What about that scream we heard?”
Miles: “If you’ve lived with Daryl for as long as I have then you get used to it.”
King: “If you say so. I’m still concerned.”
Miles: “What’s the worse that could happen?”

Next Welish Halfwit’s

Miles: “No, Gale is just giving them a hard time.
King: “Who is Gale?”
Miles: “A cougar we used to know back when we lived here. She’s mad that we’ve invaded what she believes is her territory.”
King: “WHAT? You brought us to a cougar’s territory!”
Miles: “Don’t fret about it. Once she gives the others a good roughing up, we’ll go in and get them back. Afterwards they’ll beg us to take them back home.
King: “What do you mean ‘we?’”

Kakashi did that with Boruto and the other students in Episode 37. Knowing that they would never get The bells but having them work together to prove their resolve.

I can see it going either way, although I'm leaning toward the second one. Miles is usually portrayed as being generally on top of things, and seems to have this fairly planned out.

Check out Lightning Dogs on the Nerdyshow Podcast Network

It's an in-development animated series following a team of Anthro-Dogs trapped in the Wastelands of a ruined Earth.
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

Oh, yes. They totally got your back , Daryl :3
3 words - Liquid Metal Fur
WhoBrokeMy4thWall

Post by WhoBrokeMy4thWall »

Saturn381 wrote:And so the hunt for the wolves has begun.
D-Rock wrote:It's alright, they got another Daryl.
They've probably got him too, though he might be too big the carry. :P

"Ekki-ekki-ekki-ekki-ptang. Zoom boing. Z'Nourrwringmm!" ~ The Knights who until recently said Ni
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

So is there any chance Gale can be Grape's teacher? I'm sure she could learn so many tool predator techniques from this arc alone. Though that would be implying Grape doesn't have that kind of predator power to begin with. <_< >_>
Cesco

Post by Cesco »

Oh my! Gale must be seriously strong... :o Yeah, at least, this time Daryl's scream is a bit better, sounding like an eagle. :P You always want to eat, fat Daryl. :D But, I see that your chubbiness is looking good on you now. ;) Check the perimeter is also a role of bodyguards, but Daryl wasn't paying attention to it right now. And also, unfortunately for him, his wolves pack isn't so much trustful... :? That's so mean, North Star. :P
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

Daryl: "This is the life I know, and what I know is you gotta trust the pack to have you back! And if I'm wrong may I be struck dead by an ironic...AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA"

Quick Daryl use your smoke bomb!
Tiyos1017

Post by Tiyos1017 »

At this point if the wolves don't look back when they hear a scream like that they deserve what's coming. Maybe Myles was on to something...
KJOokami

Post by KJOokami »

Given what we know about their history, I do find it a little unlikely that Miles would have no clue whatsoever that Gale would have taken over the territory after they left, regardless of whether there was a formal meeting about it or not. We know that the pack has had run-ins with her while they lived there, and we also know that Gale is only even remotely afraid of Uncle Deadeye. I imagine that Miles knows that none of his pack stand much chance against her unless they were in top form, and he is also aware that they are absolutely not in top form (what with that being sort of the point of the arc). So it makes sense that Miles is at the very least cognizant of the possibility that Gale will be coming for the pack as they travel through their old territory.
"When you're falling in a forest and there's nobody around,
do you ever really crash or even make a sound?"
Argent

Post by Argent »

KJOokami wrote:We know that the pack has had run-ins with her while they lived there.
We don't actually know that. We have 6 panels of ambiguous exposition by a potentially unreliable narrator. That's not enough to assume anything of the kind.
Last edited by Argent on Fri Jul 20, 2018 7:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

We know (1) Miles, his pack, and Gale were territorial neighbors, (2) this situation existed before the cubs and Pueblo were born or at least aware, (3) Gale knows Miles, feels (for some undisclosed reason) that the wolves have no bright to return, and that her family now "owns" the area, (4) she also knows Uncle Deadeye, and he scares her, either from reputation, from something she witnessed, or an encounter they had, (5) she hasn't encountered the wolves in years and years, and (6) she's gonna take them prisoner (or worse) one by one until she has the whole crew roped and tied. And then .............. ?
Argent

Post by Argent »

NHWestoN wrote:We know (1) Miles, his pack, and Gale were territorial neighbors,
We don't know that. We just know that Gale knows of Miles family.
(3) Gale knows Miles, feels (for some undisclosed reason) that the wolves have no bright to return, and that her family now "owns" the area,
We know that Gale knows _of_ Miles, and knows she hasn't seen them in a long time.
(4) she also knows Uncle Deadeye, and he scares her, either from reputation, from something she witnessed, or an encounter they had,
She knows _of_ Uncle deadeye.
(5) she hasn't encountered the wolves in years and years,
This is a repeat of part of #3.
(6) she's gonna take them prisoner (or worse) one by one until she has the whole crew roped and tied. And then .............. ?
This is her current plan, not part of her history.
KJOokami

Post by KJOokami »

Argent wrote:We don't actually know that.
Okay, we don't know for absolute certain, but we have more than enough information to make a reasonable assumption that they've met. Gale knows Miles by name, and is familiar enough with his face to pick him out from hundreds of yards away, and she knows Uncle Deadeye is far too strong for her to handle--which is a big deal, given her obvious pride in her ability to handle any of the other wolves present. That alone gives a very strong indication that Gale has interacted with the pack directly, rather than simply noting their existence from a distance.

It would take far more assumptions to conclude anything else.
"When you're falling in a forest and there's nobody around,
do you ever really crash or even make a sound?"
rourkie

Post by rourkie »

Argent wrote:
Fat kids are harder to kidnap.

Fat wolves are harder to wolfnap.

Just saying.

(also, ~<3)
--
"Some things are beyond the logic of our eyes and ears..."
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

Argent wrote:
NHWestoN wrote:We know (1) Miles, his pack, and Gale were territorial neighbors,
We don't know that. We just know that Gale knows of Miles family.
(3) Gale knows Miles, feels (for some undisclosed reason) that the wolves have no bright to return, and that her family now "owns" the area,
We know that Gale knows _of_ Miles, and knows she hasn't seen them in a long time.
(4) she also knows Uncle Deadeye, and he scares her, either from reputation, from something she witnessed, or an encounter they had,
She knows _of_ Uncle deadeye.
(5) she hasn't encountered the wolves in years and years,
This is a repeat of part of #3.
(6) she's gonna take them prisoner (or worse) one by one until she has the whole crew roped and tied. And then .............. ?
This is her current plan, not part of her history.
1) Based on “They ceded this territory years ago,” we know that she most likely has lived in close proximity to the wolves based on the surrounding area she’s currently in and given what we know about cougars. Based the hunting habits of cougars and wolves and the overwhelming large territory each presides in, it’s obvious that they would have run into each other at some point during their lives. Judging from Gales aggressive manner, she is not the type to simply ignore a pack of wolves and simply keep her distance for years and years without some kind of confrontation.

2)For her to recognize Miles would most likely mean she has met him. The other option would be if someone pointed him out and said “See that wolf over there. His name is Miles. Remember his face.” Nine years later she still know what he looks like (from that distance). So either she has an eidetic memory or she has met him before.

3)Deadeye is the same. It would be foolish to assume that she would have such a fearful and cautious attitude towards him if she did not know him personally. Plus the fact that she knows what he looks like is another clear indication that she has had some personal contact. Again the odds of someone pointing him out to her is low. True we don’t know if they met face to face or spoken to one another before but again knowing how cougars and wolves interact the chances are high.
rourkie wrote:
Argent wrote:
Fat kids are harder to kidnap.

Fat wolves are harder to wolfnap.

Just saying.

(also, ~<3)
It would be funny if he tried to run and Gale chased him in a leisurely walk until he passed out from exhaustion then she rolled him away like Violet in Willy Wonka. Then the wildlife can sing an Oompah Loompa song.

On a completely different subject, does anyone else think it’s odd that Poncho’s arm is under his poncho instead of over it when he’s pointing? It bothers me.
TeflonCougar

Post by TeflonCougar »

I am reasonably certain that Miles knows Gale is there. There is really no excuse for any of the adult wolves not to know. Cougars have a distinct scent they should be able to detect. Even if they don't know/remember the smell is puma.

So either Miles knows she is there from his old wild instincts or he's about to learn he's become as domesticated as he accuses the pups of becoming.

He could get a letter from the school board after they get back. (And I mean it could take a few weeks, not that it is already in the mailbox).

Dear Mr. the Wolf

It has come to the attention of the Board that you recently took you children into the wild without supplies and exposed them to a Mountain Lion. We at the School Board take child endangerment seriously and can no longer in good conscience accept your application for employment.

<and so forth>

Then Miles is in the same find a job situation as the rest of the pack instead of already having a job just ahead of the ferrets ending the security contract. Of course they prepared him for it, likely as part of a pre-existing long term plan, but it might be nice to see him get a curveball.
Argent

Post by Argent »

KJOokami wrote:
Argent wrote:We don't actually know that.
Okay, we don't know for absolute certain, but we have more than enough information to make a reasonable assumption that they've met.
It's reasonable, but it's also reasonable for Miles to not remember Gale at all, or vaguely as "one of the crazy cats from the next valley over" that he never specifically paid attention to. I'm just saying don't assume Rick's not going to throw a curve ball.
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

At this point Rick should throw a really crazy curveball just to mess everyone up. Like have a Bigfoot or werewolf appear. Hey it’s never too late have Jason show up. :roll:

Think about it. No matter how this chapter goes, in the end we find them sitting around the campfire and Miles says,"I hope you all have learned a valuable lesson about living in the woods"

Everyone: *grumbles and nods

"Are you ready to join human society?"

Everyone: *grumbles and nods

"Even if it means getting a real job or going to school?"

Everyone: grumbles, growls, and nods

"Good." Miles sits down. "I have missed the living in the wild a little. To be honest I can't remember why we left."

Then Jason jumps out of the trees with a ax and everyone screams bloody murder. Miles shouts "Everybody run! This was a horrible idea. I hate the woods."

They all run and don't stop until they're back in Babylon Gardens. Then End.

For your convenience here is an artist rendering of what this would look like.
Attachments
Savestate Outdoors.jpg
Savestate Outdoors.jpg (31.03 KiB) Viewed 9688 times
Frank

Post by Frank »

Cesco wrote:Oh my! Gale must be seriously strong... :o
Well, Pueblo did say she was
strong enough to pounce the whole pack in one...er...pounce
"[E]ven with simple tools, you too can make awesome."
November 21, 2010
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

I'm expecting the funniest curveball here is King ends up saving the wolfs from Gale and that Gale is automatically promoted to be a substitute teacher.

Gale: Ok, class ~ we're going to talk about mates. *pulls out Maxwell* Scrawny mate. *pulls out Peanut* Dream mate.

Maxwell: D:<
Peanut: o.o
TeflonCougar

Post by TeflonCougar »

Argent wrote:It's reasonable, but it's also reasonable for Miles to not remember Gale at all, or vaguely as "one of the crazy cats from the next valley over" that he never specifically paid attention to.

It is not reasonable that Miles does not know Gale. He ceded the territory to her. That doesn't mean he just walked away. Ceded is a more formal arrangement.

https://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictio ... glish/cede
https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/cede
https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/cede
http://www.dictionary.com/browse/ceder

Since a few of us seem to be considering a doggo ex machina like King somehow fixing the situation, I put this to you. What about Bailey? We haven't seen her since they arrived. We know she's tough, but is she outdoor woods tough?
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

TeflonCougar wrote:
Argent wrote:It's reasonable, but it's also reasonable for Miles to not remember Gale at all, or vaguely as "one of the crazy cats from the next valley over" that he never specifically paid attention to.

It is not reasonable that Miles does not know Gale. He ceded the territory to her. That doesn't mean he just walked away. Ceded is a more formal arrangement.
We don't know if she really meant that or if she used the term ceded as a over exaggeration or expression. In her mind it was a formal arrangement even though there is the possibly that Miles did simply pack and go without telling her. Or Rick could be showing off his GRE level vocabulary skills. Jack used the word "disparity" so anything goes.

Although you are probably right from what we know abut Mile's personality. Knowing him he probably would talk to Gale and tell her that he and the pack are leaving especially if there is history between the two families. Miles is responsible like that.
Obbl
Smiley McSmiles

Post by Obbl »

"Ceded" can be used to mean "gave up (something)" without any formal handing over to anyone. A very possible reading of Gale's line is that Miles and his pack left and didn't come back, which then left a power vacuum in that area that allowed Gale to move in and take claim. It doesn't have to mean that Miles specifically gave the territory to her.
Miles really could have not known Gale by name (as possibly one of the many other feral predators in the area). While Gale may have known Miles by name more or less because she was eyeing up the territory. It would also explain her knowing of Uncle Deadeye but not by name (if Miles's father was pack leader before Miles and Uncle Deadeye was just one of the family members who lived there).
There are multiple takes here, and this truly is a viable one.
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

I'm on the same view point as Obbl about this. Ceded is basically a past tense of concede. It's very likely Miles and his group left without warning and Gale took over after time passed since there was no sign of them for so long and moved in without any retaliation from them. Anyone else that fought back either got beat or became coogy snacks.

I think Miles may know about Gale when coming back, but hasn't been on speaking terms with her and is very likely going to see how the wolves work around her.