Video games in Housepets

Discuss the comic here
Gameb18oy
Game Master

Video games in Housepets

Post by Gameb18oy »

Obbi suggested I make a thread for this, so eh, why not. Basically this is just a thread to talk about how elements of games, like wolf link in twilight princess, would end up being viewed differently in the Housepets universe. Might also be fun to talk about differences in movies and other stuff alongside that, but didn’t want the title too long
fenrirblack

Re: Video games in Housepets

Post by fenrirblack »

Until we have conformation about rather or not it would be changed, there are two ways of looking at Wolf Link. One it would be exactly the same with a "feral" wolf link but even then that raises the question of "can he talk?" which is a pointless question since Link doesn't talk at all but brings up the subject of could the other animals talk normally since in the HPU there shouldn't be any basis for animals not talking. The other way would be an anthropomorphic idea of wolf link, which would essentially be wolf link in Twilight Link's outfit (yes they do vary depending on which game it is). If that was the case how would Minda be affected by it since her role was to ride on Link's back? I guess she could do like Navi and float around but she would more likely do like Fi did and only appear when called on or needed which she does anyway when Link is in human form.
Let's focus on anthropomorphic wolf link since it would be more sensible for the HPU. How would the gameplay be affected? Well, the general gist of wolf link was that he transformed while in the Twilight affected regions of Hyrule until after the water temple where Zant appears and he becomes stuck as wolf link until you find the Master Sword and gain the ability to switch whenever you want. So if Link could wield a sword the entire time no matter which form would it matter if he was a wolf or human? Well, I'm not a game designer but let's look at this question from the perspective of a similar game, "Monster Boy and The Cursed Kingdom" available Dec 4. In that game you have different forms of anthropomorphic animals who each can wield a weapon but each has their own set of skills such as charging, sniffing, slithering, flying, and tongue action. So if one was to alter the gameplay depending on which form was used one would have to find a use for Wolf Link's form. In the game you used Wolf Link mainly for three things, digging, smelling (fighting Poe's as well but that comes from the wolf sense), and fighting the Twilight monsters using Wolf Link's special attack power thing. SO you could keep Wolf Link's dark power which would be advantageous but why would you need Link the human then. Wolf Link could easily use all the items like the claw shot. I guess you can make it that only Human Link could use the Zora armor but that would be a hard sell. Could you make it that only Human Link can use the Master Sword while Wolf Link continues to fight hand to hand (claw to claw?) that would be a possibility but another hard sell.
Then there is the elephant in the room which was DeeVee's comment about Twilight's "inaccurate portrayal" of wolves (still angry about that but moving on). What are these inaccuracies that he's talking about? Regular wolves don't fight demonic beings and save princesses? Is he complaining that wolves don't use swords and other various items one find lying around temples and mansions for no good reason? Honestly I still believe that he's mainly complaining about the fact that Twilight Princess, even in the HPU, features a feral wolf link but I doubt it because one why? and two the way he says "inaccuracies" makes me think it's not the overall portrayal of Wolf Link but smaller things that he finds offensive or wrong. Say for example when we go to the Guerdo Desert, he could say that wolves would never go a desert for obvious reasons or that when we fight King Bulblin and that pig thing, he could say that a wolf would simply eat said pig creature instead of knocking King Bulbin off the Bridge of Eldin. That same argument could bleed into other areas of the game including how Wolf Link deals with the monkeys or various other creatures such as cats or chickens or Epona. But I doubt that considering that DeeVee himself has plenty of experience with domestic pets and wildlife. He could argue that wolves don't hunt ghosts and rip out their souls for profit but that would be a waste of an argument.
Housepets! Fan Fiction By Fenrir Black M.A.
There is a price to pay for defying fate.
Gameb18oy
Game Master

Post by Gameb18oy »

fenrirblack wrote:Until we have conformation about rather or not it would be changed, there are two ways of looking at Wolf Link. One it would be exactly the same with a "feral" wolf link but even then that raises the question of "can he talk?" which is a pointless question since Link doesn't talk at all but brings up the subject of could the other animals talk normally since in the HPU there shouldn't be any basis for animals not talking. The other way would be an anthropomorphic idea of wolf link, which would essentially be wolf link in Twilight Link's outfit (yes they do vary depending on which game it is). If that was the case how would Minda be affected by it since her role was to ride on Link's back? I guess she could do like Navi and float around but she would more likely do like Fi did and only appear when called on or needed which she does anyway when Link is in human form.
Let's focus on anthropomorphic wolf link since it would be more sensible for the HPU. How would the gameplay be affected? Well, the general gist of wolf link was that he transformed while in the Twilight affected regions of Hyrule until after the water temple where Zant appears and he becomes stuck as wolf link until you find the Master Sword and gain the ability to switch whenever you want. So if Link could wield a sword the entire time no matter which form would it matter if he was a wolf or human? Well, I'm not a game designer but let's look at this question from the perspective of a similar game, "Monster Boy and The Cursed Kingdom" available Dec 4. In that game you have different forms of anthropomorphic animals who each can wield a weapon but each has their own set of skills such as charging, sniffing, slithering, flying, and tongue action. So if one was to alter the gameplay depending on which form was used one would have to find a use for Wolf Link's form. In the game you used Wolf Link mainly for three things, digging, smelling (fighting Poe's as well but that comes from the wolf sense), and fighting the Twilight monsters using Wolf Link's special attack power thing. SO you could keep Wolf Link's dark power which would be advantageous but why would you need Link the human then. Wolf Link could easily use all the items like the claw shot. I guess you can make it that only Human Link could use the Zora armor but that would be a hard sell. Could you make it that only Human Link can use the Master Sword while Wolf Link continues to fight hand to hand (claw to claw?) that would be a possibility but another hard sell.
Then there is the elephant in the room which was DeeVee's comment about Twilight's "inaccurate portrayal" of wolves (still angry about that but moving on). What are these inaccuracies that he's talking about? Regular wolves don't fight demonic beings and save princesses? Is he complaining that wolves don't use swords and other various items one find lying around temples and mansions for no good reason? Honestly I still believe that he's mainly complaining about the fact that Twilight Princess, even in the HPU, features a feral wolf link but I doubt it because one why? and two the way he says "inaccuracies" makes me think it's not the overall portrayal of Wolf Link but smaller things that he finds offensive or wrong. Say for example when we go to the Guerdo Desert, he could say that wolves would never go a desert for obvious reasons or that when we fight King Bulblin and that pig thing, he could say that a wolf would simply eat said pig creature instead of knocking King Bulbin off the Bridge of Eldin. That same argument could bleed into other areas of the game including how Wolf Link deals with the monkeys or various other creatures such as cats or chickens or Epona. But I doubt that considering that DeeVee himself has plenty of experience with domestic pets and wildlife. He could argue that wolves don't hunt ghosts and rip out their souls for profit but that would be a waste of an argument.
... well I can’t say you’re unpassionate about what you’re saying, but I overtime (and I think we’re both overthinking it) started to think it might be because wolf link is kinda suggested to be a monster himself, just a less ugly one, DeeVee might basically be upset that they’re basically getting the equivalent treatment that Indians get because that one football team refuses to find a different mascot than a caricature of their kind with the name Redskins. Though being realistic, Rick needed a game that a wolf could get upset about, and considering Rick likes Nintendo clearly, Twilight Princess was likely just the first thing he thought of
furrygamer793

Post by furrygamer793 »

What about kingdom hearts?

Or the Tales Of games (especially Vesperia, with Repede.)
Rp characters
Greetings, fellow sapient beings.
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

Hawkfang42 wrote:What about kingdom hearts?

Or the Tales Of games (especially Vesperia, with Repede.)
Bandit1990

Post by Bandit1990 »

Okay that's awesome :D

Check out Lightning Dogs on the Nerdyshow Podcast Network

It's an in-development animated series following a team of Anthro-Dogs trapped in the Wastelands of a ruined Earth.
Obbl
Smiley McSmiles

Post by Obbl »

fenrirblack wrote:Then there is the elephant in the room which was DeeVee's comment about Twilight's "inaccurate portrayal" of wolves...
Or, perhaps, it's a situation where humans wrote a story including a wolf character (at least part-time) without actually understanding wolf culture, behavioral patterns, thought processes, etc, and these things stand out to DVS who is himself a wolf.
Plus the obvious, that this joke is meant to poke fun at youtubers who make entire videos to complain about small aspects of games that they take great umbrage with.

That picture is awesome and makes me think that Lion King probably got ripped on even harder for being a "Hamlet knock-off" than it did irl. :lol:
Gameb18oy
Game Master

Post by Gameb18oy »

Obbl wrote:
fenrirblack wrote:Then there is the elephant in the room which was DeeVee's comment about Twilight's "inaccurate portrayal" of wolves...
Or, perhaps, it's a situation where humans wrote a story including a wolf character (at least part-time) without actually understanding wolf culture, behavioral patterns, thought processes, etc, and these things stand out to DVS who is himself a wolf.
Plus the obvious, that this joke is meant to poke fun at youtubers who make entire videos to complain about small aspects of games that they take great umbrage with.

That picture is awesome and makes me think that Lion King probably got ripped on even harder for being a "Hamlet knock-off" than it did irl. :lol:
Guess we’re talking Kingdom hearts, so I guess I’ll bring up the inevitable when I’m surrounded by fellow furries, the zootopia world. We all want it, and honestly with all the transformations Sora is getting, I think it be fun if they didn’t get to just reference that Sora was gonna be a lion boy in the concept art with the pride lands form and actually use that concept design as a transformation there
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

Heartless animals? Hmm, that could be interesting to see. I wonder if the pets play Kingdom Hearts for the same reasons as the rest of us?
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I am sure that there are some that do play it for the same reasons as we play it and some that play it just to see how accurate they made the animals. LOL
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

You want to know the reason I play Kingdom Hearts? I never had any interest in the series until I saw the commercial for KHII and saw Pridelands Sora. That tells you how much of a furry I am (and that was before I knew what a furry was or that it was a thing). After that I became obsessed with PL Sora and got Chain of Memories ( :evil:) then I got the second game, fell in love, and have been obsessed with the series ever since. So if the pets play for the same reason as me then I feel for them.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Hey if they do play it because they liked the appearance of Pridelands Sora, then who are we to judge? :)
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

Do you think the pets find animal mascots appealing or offensive? Like Star Fox for example or Busby? DeeVee got upset about Twilight so I wonder if other animals get upset about animal characters in games. Wolf for example. Why doesn’t DeeVee find him upsetting.
Champion Wallace

Post by Champion Wallace »

My understanding for Housepets! is that, if it's not clear, it's probably the same as in our word. In this instance, that would mean that the developers for Twilight Princess could be seen as more creative because instead of modeling Wolf Link after a "real" wolf, they instead came up with their own creature that was like a wolf, but walked on four limbs and had his nose to the ground constantly. Deevee would be upset because having Link turn into a wolf-like creature when he's cursed and turned into a monster conflates wolfs and monsters. Additionally, having Wolf Link walk on four legs is a diss in among itself because that lumps them in the category of "blithering idiots" like cows. The game would, pardon the irony of this term, dehumanizes wolfs. Humans in the HP! universe would understand that wolfs aren't exactly like that, but there would be some inaccuracies people might not pick up on, like the quantity of digging and sniffing. Deevee wouldn't complain about Wolf from Star Fox (let's be honest, at this point he's effectively from the Smash series like Captain Falcon and Ice Climbers) because he's anthropomorphic (or if not, he ranted about it in a different video).
The cape comes with the promotion.
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

It's kind of interesting to think about. We don't know for sure exactly what Twilight Princess would be like in the HPU. I said before that Wolf Link could anthropomorphic and use the sword. But now I think that instead he would still be anthropomorphic but be naked and still use the teeth and claws to fight. Imagine Wolf Link running across the Hyrule Field, come across a monster, then beat it up not unlike Wolf in Smash Bros. Why would they "dehumanize" Wolf Link or create something new when the "regular" wolf would work just fine. Either way the plot is basically the same, Wolf Link fights the Twilight Monsters to regain his human form with the aid of Minda. He wouldn't talk either way. Although those scenes with Zelda would be very...hmmm. But I bet the Cave of Shadows would be much easier with an anthropomorphic Wolf Link. I still can't finish that part.

How would that work in Breath of The Wild when you summon Wolf Link? Imagine them both on the Master Cycle.

(You know Wolf is in Starlink so that's something.)