How do you feel about Spot comics?

Discuss the comic here

(extremely diss voice) Please tell me whether you like Spot the Superdog strips!

They're my favorites, I love them!
7%
They're OK, I like them.
43%
I have no strong feelings, thanks for an option as null as my heart.
26%
They're not OK, I dislike them.
19%
I hate them; I literally push my thumbs through my eye sockets and die every time I see one.
5%

Total votes: 91

Cesco

Re: How do you feel about Spot comics?

Post by Cesco »

Since it's a recurrent fantasy comic made by Peanut, a secondary thing related with one of the main characters of this webcomic, it's a good break from time to time, I don't find it intrusive. It improved through the time and it's having a smaller presence in the latest years. These current conditions are fine to me.
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

My biggest problem with the Spot comics is that they are serving the plot or the story at all. Think about this, there is a rule in writing that says that everything should either do one of two things, move the plot forward or develop the characters. One could argue that the comics develop Peanut's character but how? He clearly is not improving as an artist and Peanut could and has been developed more by going on his zany adventures. Going to the video store has done more for his character than the Spot comics.
Maybe if they were more visually appealing and followed a more direct story format where one leads to the next in a continuous story that is separate from the main storyline like a "too be continued" format and a "when we last left Spot" but even then though it would make more since for them to be a separate entity altogether instead of being jammed into the regular story.
Housepets! Fan Fiction By Fenrir Black M.A.
There is a price to pay for defying fate.
Gameb18oy
Game Master

Post by Gameb18oy »

fenrirblack wrote:My biggest problem with the Spot comics is that they are serving the plot or the story at all. Think about this, there is a rule in writing that says that everything should either do one of two things, move the plot forward or develop the characters. One could argue that the comics develop Peanut's character but how? He clearly is not improving as an artist and Peanut could and has been developed more by going on his zany adventures. Going to the video store has done more for his character than the Spot comics.
Maybe if they were more visually appealing and followed a more direct story format where one leads to the next in a continuous story that is separate from the main storyline like a "too be continued" format and a "when we last left Spot" but even then though it would make more since for them to be a separate entity altogether instead of being jammed into the regular story.
Oddly enough, earlier on Spot’s inclusion seemed to fit what you’re saying, which is also when he was more of a brief joke thing. Before he started to get his own arcs, he was both... kinda peanut’s fursona and an outlet for him to try and keep his insecurities, like his cat-lover trait, somewhere he could control them. That might be another reason I think the older ones work a bit better. In fact I kinda wonder if the numbers be different if we separated arc Spot and single comic Spot. And that’s not just me trying to justify why I said I’m not a big fan of his comics, a lot of the replies I’ve noticed seem to be comparing the two.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I too also think they work better as a recurring joke rather than them having their own arcs and by that I mean if they have a spot in a main comic strip rather than just being standalone.
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

The only Spot comic I do like is one that has nothing to do with Spot or the comic. It’s the one where Peanut pays for drawing lessons from Joey but traces Superman comics instead and Joey flips out. It was just nice to see a different side of Joey and more of Joey to be honest. Out of all the tertiary characters he’s my favorite and one I wish was more developed. The same goes for the one where Joey did the drawing and they end up in a slap fight.
Housepets! Fan Fiction By Fenrir Black M.A.
There is a price to pay for defying fate.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I think Joey needs to be more fleshed out also. And they explain how his relationship with Squeak works a little better.
Gameb18oy
Game Master

Post by Gameb18oy »

considering we know about their LARPing, and we know they are comfortable talking about nerdy interests around each other, honestly I’m not sure if their relationship needs much aside from maybe letting us know why Squeak lives in Joey’s doghouse.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I would want to know how they snuggle without Joey accidentally crushing her, And by that I mean to death. We all know Squeak loves to be stepped on or smushed.
Gameb18oy
Game Master

Post by Gameb18oy »

Amazee Dayzee wrote:I would want to know how they snuggle without Joey accidentally crushing her, And by that I mean to death. We all know Squeak loves to be stepped on or smushed.
I think you just answered your own question
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Maybe we'll see a strip where "Spot" draws a "Peanut and Grape" comic..... maybe.....
Gameb18oy
Game Master

Post by Gameb18oy »

NHWestoN wrote:Maybe we'll see a strip where "Spot" draws a "Peanut and Grape" comic..... maybe.....
So meta
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

38 responses doesn't yield much reliability..........
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Where did you get 38 responses from? :?
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

38 total votes on the poll. Much too small of a turnout to say much of anything.
Faith doesn't change circumstances. Faith changes me.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Oh yeah. Now i see it. I can't believe I overlooked it. That's strange. But you do have a good point.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Well, voice belongs to them what speaks up.
Cudgeon

Post by Cudgeon »

I would say that initially, I was like "AHHH FILLER" and completely against it.

As I read more and more how much insight it gives into Peanut's psychology and a reminder of how much Peanut is genuinely aware (or unawarely self-aware), and the running gags, it started to grow on me.

My favorite off the top of my head is this one: https://www.housepetscomic.com/comic/20 ... s-of-spot/

Here's to Spot (Superdog)!
I'll finish writing a fanfic eventually, I swear!
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

They're kinda six-of-one, half-a-dozen of the other to me, cudg. ;) But Rick enjoys doing them and it's his world. They make a nice little pivot betwixt plot lines.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

As long as the comics are done occasionally and don't end up being too commonly done in the comic, I think it is a nice way to see Peanut's creativity. I wish I was as creative as Peanut was sometimes.
trekkie

Post by trekkie »

I like ‘em myself.
“Freedom has cost too much blood and agony to be relinquished at the cheap price of rhetoric.” - Thomas Sowell

“The only time I ever enjoyed ironing was the day I accidentally got gin in the steam iron.” Phyllis Diller
Dogglar

Post by Dogglar »

I think they're pretty good. As Dayzee stated, they do open a small window into Peanut's mind, and they're a good "chill out" arc to have every once in a while. I hope this isn't a poll that will ultimately affect their appearance because it'd feel strange without them.

I also like how even the Spot comics have had a noticeable art change. Shows that Peanut's getting better (when in reality it's Rick (Rick IS Peanut))
B.E.A.R. PMC
Argent

Post by Argent »

The one with the time machine was good. Really good. And. No, that's it.

OK. I liked the first few but that was when they were new and actually part of the comic.

Can we have Joey's fanfic instead?
Cinnamon "Sixtoes" Walton (M Pine Marten #B06060) @
Pitchpipe (F Jackrabbit #808060) @
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Would we have to read it or would it be made into a comic by Joey who proves that he is a talented drawer?
Zesortinge

Post by Zesortinge »

Probably both.
I have ideas and I occasionally put them down.
FireworkFox

Post by FireworkFox »

Argent wrote:Can we have Joey's fanfic instead?
It would be interesting to see one of Joey's fanfics turned into an arc.
My name is Firework Fox.
uwu
------------------------
John Granger
S5 P8 E4 C6 I7 A6 L6
VeryAngryDeer

Post by VeryAngryDeer »

The Spot strips are the least interesting part of the comic for me.

I think Housepets is at its best when its got its large cast of characters exploring wild plots that I'd never have thought of. Next is those same characters doing mundane things, but they're such varied and multi-dimensional characters that even them going to a theme park or the zoo or a farm or setting up plays is fun to see.

Even within the reference frame of the comic, Spot is not a person with character, he's just a drawing meant to parody a genre that I wasn't particularly involved with in the first place.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

You know that actually is a very marvelous way of seeing the Spot (Superdog) comics that I didn't even think of. Great analysis!
Nathan Kerbonaut

Post by Nathan Kerbonaut »

Gotta agree with VeryAngryDeer. They're better on the second reading but meta commentary/parodies aren't my thing.
SeanWolf
Keeper of the Sacred Fics

Post by SeanWolf »

I'm with Nathan on this one. I don't personally mind the Spot comics, but I don't tend to find them enjoyable to read sometimes, personally.
Host Of The Realm Of The Metal Wolf: Where Metal Is King
Creator of the ongoing fic - HousepetZ: Survivor Tails
Game Master of Apollo City
Elwood Blutarsky

Post by Elwood Blutarsky »

I think they are a fun diversion. A nice chance for some superhero parodies and a good breather for breaking up the action between more intense story lines. We just came off the emotional one with King and Sasha and a long intense one with Marion and Lois; these a nice break for some fun.
VeryAngryDeer

Post by VeryAngryDeer »

Elwood Blutarsky wrote:I think they are a fun diversion. A nice chance for some superhero parodies and a good breather for breaking up the action between more intense story lines. We just came off the emotional one with King and Sasha and a long intense one with Marion and Lois; these a nice break for some fun.
That's certainly an important role, but in my view it would be better filled with the "interesting characters do mundane things" type stories.
JackeyAmmy21

Post by JackeyAmmy21 »

The Spot comics are fun to read... in the second read, they're fun, they're silly but again they don't advance anything to the plot, they don't have the cast you love or the adventures that feature them.
They also tend to interrupt certain moments *cough*heaven'snotenough*cough* that makes you just want to skip them. But when you re-read them they are cool. But for example right now i would like to return back with Marion & Lois so there's that
Obbl
Smiley McSmiles

Post by Obbl »

They also serve as an important creative outlet for Rick, and to be honest, I find these characters as interesting as any in our main cast (for entirely separate reasons), so I always look forward to these :D
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

... and they're gently satirical on the superhero genre which really deserves more satire than it gets. ;)
Argent

Post by Argent »

I've been reading fanfic for a superhero dark satire series so I'm up to ^here^ with superhero criticism.
Cinnamon "Sixtoes" Walton (M Pine Marten #B06060) @
Pitchpipe (F Jackrabbit #808060) @
VeryAngryDeer

Post by VeryAngryDeer »

Obbl wrote:They also serve as an important creative outlet for Rick, and to be honest, I find these characters as interesting as any in our main cast (for entirely separate reasons), so I always look forward to these :D
I want to make it clear that I am not suggesting that Rick should stop making Spot comics. Its a free webcomic, he doesn't owe me anything. If he needs to make something different to fill time or to take breaks from more intense story arcs, that's perfectly fine. He's not a robot that can just pump out stories that fit my personal tastes, he's a human being. Heavens knows I couldn't keep up the motivation to put out three good quality comic strips a week for over a decade.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

We know that you aren't suggesting that he just stops making them like you thought others were thinking. Its just your opinion on whether or not you like them. I'm sure Rick knows that not everybody likes them.
JackeyAmmy21

Post by JackeyAmmy21 »

If he needs to make something different to fill time or to take breaks from more intense story arcs, that's perfectly fine. He's not a robot that can just pump out stories that fit my personal tastes, he's a human being. Heavens knows I couldn't keep up the motivation to put out three good quality comic strips a week for over a decade
Definitely this. This is exactly why i actually like the guest week more than the spot comics, it gives Rick a break while also allows the fans in the spotlight
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

JackeyAmmy21 wrote:
If he needs to make something different to fill time or to take breaks from more intense story arcs, that's perfectly fine. He's not a robot that can just pump out stories that fit my personal tastes, he's a human being. Heavens knows I couldn't keep up the motivation to put out three good quality comic strips a week for over a decade
Definitely this. This is exactly why i actually like the guest week more than the spot comics, it gives Rick a break while also allows the fans in the spotlight
......and we DO have some seriously terrific guest artists!
JamesTCat

Post by JamesTCat »

I see Spot as a mary sue character. I say that because he isn't challenged, he has no character flaws, he have no weaknesses, he makes up all the powers on demand, and that is what I see in Spot. Just a flawless mary sue who is BORING! At least Superman have flaws, as well as weaknesses to Magic and Kryptonite. Peanut is a inexperienced writer. Though I admit that my art is not really good but I keep trying to improve.

I guess that is how I view things with these comics.
Challenge James T Cat in SMASH Ultimate plus Switch Online: SW-2695-1793-4587