The wild animals

Discuss the comic here
Gameb18oy
Game Master

The wild animals

Post by Gameb18oy »

Due to some talking over the most recent comic, thought it be nice to talk about the group of animals with no ties to humans. This includes the wolves and Gale and Pueblo who have integrated into human society plus all the other animals. Feel we oddly overlook them for some reason, so it might be nice to talk about things we think Rick could do with them as unlike the zoo animals, it’s not like he is against using them, and compile evidence of stuff that’s been suggested, like their level of intelligence considering how many of them use human goods and stuff to that nature.

Also, just a theory being suggested, but you think the wild animals might play a part in whatever Steward is planning? I can imagine he could manipulate the opener of ways cult to get more people transformed possibly (which likely would mean he could make Custom an unwitting secondary villain) and some animals like Jessica could have some of her envy of pets manipulated to keep them on his side once they find out what he’s doing. If they feel some justification for what he’s doing, they might work to protect him. It’s just something I thought over when I thought over how poorly they live despite how how much harder they work to stay alive compared to the pets. Might be a little darker than Rick wants, but that’s why I want to discuss it some
NHWestoN

Re: The wild animals

Post by NHWestoN »

Well, just to open up to your thoughts, the wild ones are definitely being drawn into cosmic interactions. Besides Steward and his ha'pence and the redoubtable Karishad, Craig and Craig seem to be permanent residents ... And that means GK hanging around, too. Would the power of the coin eventually draw the li'l dino-demon to them .... maybe followed by Eudoant or worse? Would Cory and Trinket share in a plot with Badger or even Craig if those two crooks had the suitable reward (or threat)? Kix? The Miltons? Maybe even Gale or Daryl could bet pulled in? Zach ... And, through Zach, who else .... Tiger and Marvin? Grape and Peanut?

The possibilities loom !!!
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

We know from the very last line of Year 10 that both the coin and the cult are going to become intertwined but the problem is how much power is the cult going to have? At the end of the day it’s one coin and a small group of wild animals. Even if Stewards plan was too change everyone he can, that’s not a plan and not going to work. Kitsune is a new wrinkle that really kind of disrupts any possibility of some full scale nefarious plot. I can’t see him sitting back and letting Pete or Dragon do anything with Steward. In my mind if Steward would be able to do anything at all he would need someone more confident then the animals he’s currently living with. I can see him meeting a dark stranger in a alley in the dead of night. Again if he was going to change someone it would have to be essential to the plan and not just any rando. This isn’t the kind of story where the ferals kidnap someone off the street then change them with the coin in front of a massive group of animals to get them to join the cult.

A crazy idea would be if Steward actually used the cult to better the lives of the wild animals. It goes against this idea of Steward being a villain but it is possible that he could strive to improve the ferals lives himself after living with them so long. Unionize the animals and actually build a real society with actual homes and make it something that even the humans would be forced to recognize as legitimate.
Housepets! Fan Fiction By Fenrir Black M.A.
There is a price to pay for defying fate.
Gameb18oy
Game Master

Post by Gameb18oy »

fenrirblack wrote:We know from the very last line of Year 10 that both the coin and the cult are going to become intertwined but the problem is how much power is the cult going to have? At the end of the day it’s one coin and a small group of wild animals. Even if Stewards plan was too change everyone he can, that’s not a plan and not going to work. Kitsune is a new wrinkle that really kind of disrupts any possibility of some full scale nefarious plot. I can’t see him sitting back and letting Pete or Dragon do anything with Steward. In my mind if Steward would be able to do anything at all he would need someone more confident then the animals he’s currently living with. I can see him meeting a dark stranger in a alley in the dead of night. Again if he was going to change someone it would have to be essential to the plan and not just any rando. This isn’t the kind of story where the ferals kidnap someone off the street then change them with the coin in front of a massive group of animals to get them to join the cult.

A crazy idea would be if Steward actually used the cult to better the lives of the wild animals. It goes against this idea of Steward being a villain but it is possible that he could strive to improve the ferals lives himself after living with them so long. Unionize the animals and actually build a real society with actual homes and make it something that even the humans would be forced to recognize as legitimate.
I don’t see why he can’t try to improve their lives while also having ulterior motives. And gonna call hogwash on there being no one confident amongst the current wild animals. Kari, Kix, Jessica, and Custom Ink all give off an air of confidence. They all show it in different ways, but I believe all of them if convinced to help wouldn’t start doubting themselves after they agreed to it. I don’t think they even need to kidnap them, what are the humans gonna do after it happens, especially if the perps aren’t spotted transforming them? I’m interested in what Rick plans to do with it, he might not plan out all the details, but he clearly has ideas in mind for that coin, and I’m interested to see what they are... almost as much as the Rufus kiss, and no not for shipping reasons, it will be nice having a Max focused arc
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Can we really count Kari as a wild animal? He lives with the Miltons and works for them in some capacity doing an unspecified job. Even if he lives with the rest of the wild animals in the house that the Miltons had built, I'm not really sure we can consider him a wild animal anymore.
Gameb18oy
Game Master

Post by Gameb18oy »

Amazee Dayzee wrote:Can we really count Kari as a wild animal? He lives with the Miltons and works for them in some capacity doing an unspecified job. Even if he lives with the rest of the wild animals in the house that the Miltons had built, I'm not really sure we can consider him a wild animal anymore.
Kari is... difficult to categorize. I mean the fact I wouldn’t be surprised if Kari is in anyway related to the celestials is something I think people would totally call me out for if it was anyone besides him. Still, he is around Steward, so he could end up being involved in their plot
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

I'm hard pressed to regard Kari as "tame". That said, our feral friends have made a number of accommodations to "gracious living" if not exactly joining civilization.

Where Stewart's going with that coin remains to be seen. At this point, I assume he's primarily focused on how to get his human form back. I also assume Kitsune knows his situation but Craig and Draig do not. What kind of leadership he might assert with the wild bunch will have to take Jessica's formidable pugnacity into account.

As to Rufus and Max ......... yeah, I'm intrigued.
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

Gameb18oy wrote:
fenrirblack wrote:We know from the very last line of Year 10 that both the coin and the cult are going to become intertwined but the problem is how much power is the cult going to have? At the end of the day it’s one coin and a small group of wild animals. Even if Stewards plan was too change everyone he can, that’s not a plan and not going to work. Kitsune is a new wrinkle that really kind of disrupts any possibility of some full scale nefarious plot. I can’t see him sitting back and letting Pete or Dragon do anything with Steward. In my mind if Steward would be able to do anything at all he would need someone more confident then the animals he’s currently living with. I can see him meeting a dark stranger in a alley in the dead of night. Again if he was going to change someone it would have to be essential to the plan and not just any rando. This isn’t the kind of story where the ferals kidnap someone off the street then change them with the coin in front of a massive group of animals to get them to join the cult.

I don’t see why he can’t try to improve their lives while also having ulterior motives. And gonna call hogwash on there being no one confident amongst the current wild animals. Kari, Kix, Jessica, and Custom Ink all give off an air of confidence. They all show it in different ways, but I believe all of them if convinced to help wouldn’t start doubting themselves after they agreed to it. I don’t think they even need to kidnap them, what are the humans gonna do after it happens, especially if the perps aren’t spotted transforming them? I’m interested in what Rick plans to do with it, he might not plan out all the details, but he clearly has ideas in mind for that coin, and I’m interested to see what they are... almost as much as the Rufus kiss, and no not for shipping reasons, it will be nice having a Max focused arc
They are very ignorant if nothing else. I mean they know Zach and yet they are still so delusional about his power. I guess to survive in the wild you have to live in this fantasy bubble. Maybe not Kari and we no so little about Kix other than she is a believer of the Opener nonsense which, no offense, if you are in a cult like that then I really question your competence. I have thought about a kind of "transform and run" type situation but that would leave a lot of loose ends that I doubt Rick would want to deal with especially with the fandom. Not to mention what would there be to gain from something like that unless you were going to film it and show it to the ferals (or let the internet have its way with it)?
Amazee Dayzee wrote:Can we really count Kari as a wild animal? He lives with the Miltons and works for them in some capacity doing an unspecified job. Even if he lives with the rest of the wild animals in the house that the Miltons had built, I'm not really sure we can consider him a wild animal anymore.
Kari lives with Jess now and before he was a Zoo animal and then worked and I guess lived with the Miltons, that was never confirmed. He worked for them sure but we never saw a room or anything like that. Part of me thought he lived in the temple when he wasn't with the Miltons or annoying Keene. I don't think he was ever a wild animal just like Zach really would be qualified as wild even when he lived with Jess.
Obbl
Smiley McSmiles

Post by Obbl »

fenrirblack wrote:no offense, if you are in a cult like that then I really question your competence.
Wanting something to be true badly enough to bias yourself against the evidence is an extremely human trait, and plenty of otherwise rather smart and capable people on the Internet are wonderful examples of that every day ^_^ (though we probably shouldn't talk about them in specific here to avoid controversy).

I'm also really looking forward to when the coin pops up again. I feel like it really fits the prophesy well enough that the Opener cult can latch onto it and even blind themselves to any moral problems that might arise. It has plenty of room to go all sorts of directions and could get as dark as Rick wanted to go.
I'd also be interested in more feral slice of life. Despite the nightmare fuel hiding (barely) beneath the surface, there's an interesting and somewhat unique story there, I feel. Slightly different from homeless people in our world, although very similar.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Part of you is correct, Fen - Kari hung out in the Temple from time to time. Both Pete and Jessica made references to his habituatin' there.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Then even if Kari isn't a full-on Celestial, at least the other do know about him. He's sort of the bridge between the mortals and the celestials so to speak.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

At the end of the Australia show-down, we see Kari and Kitsune waving to each other. Maybe that was just a fox-to-fox salutation or maybe a sign of a deeper connection....
HundKatzeMaus

Post by HundKatzeMaus »

NHWestoN wrote:At the end of the Australia show-down, we see Kari and Kitsune waving to each other. Maybe that was just a fox-to-fox salutation or maybe a sign of a deeper connection....
It could also either be some kind of fanservice, since people were wondering how Kitsune and Kari would react to each other, or Kari is some kind of cosmic spawn. Nothing like a demigod, but also something not so normal in our world. Then again I thought Kari was always the Housepets version of Bugs Bunny and Duffy Duck :lol:
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Much less Daffy Duck as he doesn't get injured nearly as often or have his snout spun around to the back of his head XD.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Maybe more the Woody Woodpecker type … although Kari seems more eccentric than wakko. Actually, he's often quite rational (although by a rather other-worldly logic), kind-hearted, and rarely seeks to jam anyone up. He is, however, capable of efforts that seem almost supernatural, like digging basement apartments in Jessica's treehouse that no one discovers.
Gameb18oy
Game Master

Post by Gameb18oy »

NHWestoN wrote:Maybe more the Woody Woodpecker type … although Kari seems more eccentric than wakko. Actually, he's often quite rational (although by a rather other-worldly logic), kind-hearted, and rarely seeks to jam anyone up. He is, however, capable of efforts that seem almost supernatural, like digging basement apartments in Jessica's treehouse that no one discovers.
Let’s not forget that massive snowman he made, and the number of tranquilizers he can shrug off. I’m not joking when I say I think Kari has some direct connections to the celestials, though I have no actual proof, so I just consider that as a head canon
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

Gameb18oy wrote:
NHWestoN wrote:Maybe more the Woody Woodpecker type … although Kari seems more eccentric than wakko. Actually, he's often quite rational (although by a rather other-worldly logic), kind-hearted, and rarely seeks to jam anyone up. He is, however, capable of efforts that seem almost supernatural, like digging basement apartments in Jessica's treehouse that no one discovers.
Let’s not forget that massive snowman he made, and the number of tranquilizers he can shrug off. I’m not joking when I say I think Kari has some direct connections to the celestials, though I have no actual proof, so I just consider that as a head canon
Kari is an enigma. I personally don’t think there is a logical explanation for his antics celestial or not. He exists as an outlier on the logical continuum solely as a joke incarnation. His creation was solely for humor without reason or logic.

But at the same time despite his antics there is some level or reasoning behind them. The basement was not unusual for a Fox, a creature that digs burrows for a survive. the snowman despite its size wasn’t exactly an impossible feat considering all it really is just a giant mound of snow that had its head sculpted. The tranquilizers aren’t new. When the wolves went to zoo, we saw how little effect they had. I blame evolution or low dosage for that. In a lot of ways Kari’s antic are more a deception than supernatural. It’s what you don’t see that is what is real. Peek behind the curtain if you will.

Continuing the tranquilizer discussion,if I had to guess I would say he developed a type of immunity to them considering it is Kari and he lived at the zoo for the first few years of the comic life.
Last edited by fenrirblack on Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

One of these days I wouldn't mind seeing a backstory behind his character but considering he is based on a real person I doubt that will happen.
Gameb18oy
Game Master

Post by Gameb18oy »

Amazee Dayzee wrote:One of these days I wouldn't mind seeing a backstory behind his character but considering he is based on a real person I doubt that will happen.
I mean, I think we all would like that. Considering Rick makes a lot of personal fanart for Kari, a part of me wonders if he’d really mind if his fursona was developed some more. They seem like pretty good friends, so I doubt he’d be that upset with what Rick would do with the character, the only real restrictions I’d think you should have is you can’t make them a villain or put them in a relationship, both could have negative outcomes that don’t take to much imagination to consider. Still, I don’t know either of them personally, so that’s just a thought on my part
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

That's a question you might want to bowl past the Mods, Game. Rick seems pretty tolerant of the directions imaginative folks take his critters but Karishad is different, being modeled after a real (and special) person in his life.

You might instead consider using one of the other Celestial or Infernals as an alternative. The li'l dino-demon character is kind of a blank slate, for example, and could be equally anarchic, comic, and even sort of sympathetic.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Anything that you do with Karishad tends to be an issue with the mods because of how Rick and Kari are in real life. So its best to just not use him and only let him be in the canon comic.
Champion Wallace

Post by Champion Wallace »

NHWestoN wrote:That's a question you might want to bowl past the Mods, Game. Rick seems pretty tolerant of the directions imaginative folks take his critters but Karishad is different, being modeled after a real (and special) person in his life.
What are you talking about!? No one asked any questions let alone one that should be directed at the moderators. Gameb18oy was just challenging the notion that Karishad won't be developed in Housepets! because he's someone's fursona by putting forth that maybe Rick Griffin's friend wouldn't mind his fursona getting delevolped by Rick Griffin because of how close they are.
NHWestoN wrote:You might instead consider using one of the other Celestial or Infernals as an alternative. The li'l dino-demon character is kind of a blank slate, for example, and could be equally anarchic, comic, and even sort of sympathetic.
Again, am I missing something? What are you suggesting celestials or infernals be used for? You were the only one in this topic that mentioned a forumite using Karishad for something.
Amazee Dayzee wrote:Anything that you do with Karishad tends to be an issue with the mods because of how Rick and Kari are in real life. So its best to just not use him and only let him be in the canon comic.
I can't tell if you're agreeing or disagreeing with what was said. Your tone makes it seem like you're making a counter to Gameb18oy's statement by asserting that development of Karishad should not be done in fan fiction and such, but Gameb18oy isn't arguing it should be done there instead making the point the canon character could develop.
The cape comes with the promotion.
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

Let's move on from that thread, shall we?
Faith doesn't change circumstances. Faith changes me.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

OK. So since Zach apparently now lives with Jessica and Jerry doesn't seem to notice (then again, he doesn't care that his dog could probably burn down the whole Gardens) does that mean he can be classified as a wild animal now? He still has his collar but I don't think he has had any interactions with Jerry and only ONE with Marvin and Tiger.
Gameb18oy
Game Master

Post by Gameb18oy »

Amazee Dayzee wrote:OK. So since Zach apparently now lives with Jessica and Jerry doesn't seem to notice (then again, he doesn't care that his dog could probably burn down the whole Gardens) does that mean he can be classified as a wild animal now? He still has his collar but I don't think he has had any interactions with Jerry and only ONE with Marvin and Tiger.
Ironically, his unusual inbetween status kinda gives a double meaning to “the opener of ways” title he’s been unable to shake, so honestly... I think Rick intentionally is making him both. The wild animals even started to interact more with the main cast when he started dating Jessica... okay, if Zac is the opener of ways, we need to get him to go to the zoo so it’s no longer just the gay kangaroos that get to appear in the comic.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Bring back Tarmac?
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

Gameb18oy wrote:
Amazee Dayzee wrote:OK. So since Zach apparently now lives with Jessica and Jerry doesn't seem to notice (then again, he doesn't care that his dog could probably burn down the whole Gardens) does that mean he can be classified as a wild animal now? He still has his collar but I don't think he has had any interactions with Jerry and only ONE with Marvin and Tiger.
Ironically, his unusual inbetween status kinda gives a double meaning to “the opener of ways” title he’s been unable to shake, so honestly... I think Rick intentionally is making him both. The wild animals even started to interact more with the main cast when he started dating Jessica... okay, if Zac is the opener of ways, we need to get him to go to the zoo so it’s no longer just the gay kangaroos that get to appear in the comic.
What interactions are you referring to? I can't think of that many interactions between the wild animals and the main cast. Jessica was the only one because she dating Zach. Fox and Mungo visited them. Truck and Falstaff came to Max's crawfish cookout. That's it. Even in the spa they are separate and off screen. Peanut and Grape have had almost zero interaction with the wild animals other than the raccoons. Zach has always been the bridge between the two worlds but they never collided in any real way.
I wish Rick would confirm whether or not Zach moved back home with Marvin and Tiger like he seemed to have. Marvin asked and Zach gave us a weird answer that tells us nothing. Then changes the subject.
NHWestoN wrote:Bring back Tarmac?
Bring back Shardul. :D
Gameb18oy
Game Master

Post by Gameb18oy »

NHWestoN wrote:Bring back Tarmac?
And Gambit alongside him. And yeah to Shardul Fen... and who else we have left besides Silverbolt? I’d not mind seeing that snake again, but considering Rick didn’t even name him, I think that be a bit much on top of asking for the zoo animals to appear at least in a one-off or two in the future.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Maybe that was "Cathy from the reptile house". Roosy refers to her when Delusional Steve is trying to scare him and Bruce by pretending he's "the Viper".......
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Apparently he isn't as delusional as we thought if he knows who Cathy is. :mrgreen:
Gameb18oy
Game Master

Post by Gameb18oy »

Amazee Dayzee wrote:Apparently he isn't as delusional as we thought if he knows who Cathy is. :mrgreen:
Maybe the only other reptile we’ve seen would make for a good friend for Demon, I definitely would enjoy seeing a nonmammal join the cast
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Fluffy the gator.....?
Gameb18oy
Game Master

Post by Gameb18oy »

NHWestoN wrote:Fluffy the gator.....?
Considering none of the animals even considered talking to Fluffy instead of fighting them, it was fairly clear that gators are similar to cows in that Rick has made them clearly unintelligent
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

… or dangerously disdainful! ;)
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

So are we to assume that aquatic species are unintelligent based on Fluffy and the dolphins?
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

That could be presumptuous on our parts … Rick has a school of fish swimming through the air as King and Fox enter Heaven so, who knows?
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

Amazee Dayzee wrote:So are we to assume that aquatic species are unintelligent based on Fluffy and the dolphins?
We know that the dolphins are quite intelligent both in the HPU and in the real world. Just slaves to their instincts. Fluffy had such a small role that its level of intelligence is undetermined.
Champion Wallace

Post by Champion Wallace »

I don't think the zoo animals including Karishad should be considered wild animals because "they're a lot like pets with a compulsory job and greater supervision." In the real world, different zoos take different stances on how much of a natural lifestyle their animals should maintain, but in the comic the River Ridge Zoo seems to not value it that much seeing as the animals were basically actors.

Since this thread is supposed to compile what we know about wild animals, I would like to bring up Gale and the wolfs were smart enough to consider population dynamics and limit their population growth.
Amazee Dayzee wrote:So are we to assume that aquatic species are unintelligent based on Fluffy and the dolphins?
rickgriffin wrote:All mammals, reptiles and birds [are sentient]. Some larger fish are (sharks), only pawwed mammals are bipedal.
source
Gameb18oy wrote:
NHWestoN wrote:Fluffy the gator.....?
Considering none of the animals even considered talking to Fluffy instead of fighting them, it was fairly clear that gators are similar to cows in that Rick has made them clearly unintelligent
I know this isn't the strongest evidence, but Stranger talked to Fluffy and Fluffy responded (albeit their only line was "Aww!").
The cape comes with the promotion.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

True, Fluffy and the Stranger clearly had some kind of a companion relationship ... and this occasion was NOT Fluffy's first birthday "celebration" (shudder!).

... As to cows, well, the fact that the cow chose to ignore Grape's announcement that she was going to eat her bovine innards might indicate an aloof disdain towards a pretty rude and aggressive comment from a purple feline stranger. Maybe the cow wasn't doltish, but well bred and genteel.

Think the jury's still out ... probably at the bar. ;)