Reply to topic  [ 64 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Biology of Housepets! 
Author Message
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jun 11, 2014 10:44 pm
Posts: 174
Location: not directly behind you.
Post Biology of Housepets!
So, exactly how is it that these animals are, well, anthropomorphic? Shouldn't their bodies malfunction?

_________________
Forward, the Light Brigade!'
Was there a man dismay'd?
Not tho'(though) the soldiers knew
  Some one had blunder'd:
Theirs not to make reply,
Theirs not to reason why,
Theirs but to do and die:
Into the valley of Death
  Rode the six hundred.


Sat Apr 11, 2015 9:59 pm
Profile
E-Quoll to Any Challenge!
User avatar

Joined: Wed Mar 27, 2013 5:09 am
Posts: 8586
Location: Down Under
Post Re: Biology of Housepets!
Why should they malfunction? It's not as though they're just animals from our world who've had a few joints rotated. If, in this world, the animals evolved to be anthropomorphic then it would make sense for them to evolve ways to counter any malfunctions or disadvantages that might have arisen.

Besides, if you say anthropomorphosisation is impossible and should be written out of animal-related stories then you've basically just broken the furry fandom. :P

Long story short, don't think about it too much. Yes, this could never happen in the real world but in the world of the imagination you're limited only by, well, your imagination so anything, including bipedal talking animals is possible!

_________________
My RP Characters

Avatar drawn by the incredible Rick Griffin and coloured by the amazing Arty Stu!

Image Image Image


Sat Apr 11, 2015 11:00 pm
Profile WWW
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 30, 2014 10:35 pm
Posts: 1617
Images: 2
Location: Housepets! Universe - Babylon Gardens
Post Re: Biology of Housepets!
One thing I've been contemplating is the "stompygrade" configuration of the legs and arms. I've been thinking that the tibia connects in the middle of the paw/foot; this would give the foot extra leverage in jumping or running. I imagine the stockier forearms make for more mass behind a swing (a more powerful punch/strike).

_________________
Douglas isn't my real name, but because of a name block put on me by a higher-order being known as The Genii, I can't say my real name.


Sat Apr 11, 2015 11:05 pm
Profile
Boiyoing!
User avatar

Joined: Thu Apr 29, 2010 1:32 am
Posts: 15903
Location: Nephelokokkygia
Post Re: Biology of Housepets!
Because it's a cartoon that doesn't attempt to make consistent scientific sense.

_________________
Image
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!


Sun Apr 12, 2015 2:29 pm
Profile WWW
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 30, 2014 10:35 pm
Posts: 1617
Images: 2
Location: Housepets! Universe - Babylon Gardens
Post Re: Biology of Housepets!
True, but it's fun to speculate about. I imagine that the root ancestor of all bipedal animals in the HP! universe evolved to stand on two legs as a way of seeing over tall grass or shrubbery.

_________________
Douglas isn't my real name, but because of a name block put on me by a higher-order being known as The Genii, I can't say my real name.


Sun Apr 12, 2015 2:40 pm
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Sat Dec 29, 2012 10:03 pm
Posts: 1620
Location: Virginia
Post Re: Biology of Housepets!
Sleet wrote:
Because it's a cartoon that doesn't attempt to make consistent scientific sense.

This. So much of this.

_________________
Image
Image
Image


Sun Apr 12, 2015 3:19 pm
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Tue Aug 12, 2014 6:24 pm
Posts: 4274
Post Re: Biology of Housepets!
Definitely agree with Sleet. If you try to think too hard about it, you basically take all the fun out of the comic.

_________________
The Winds of Change. A continuing fanfic by me and dryideabat.


Sun Apr 12, 2015 4:26 pm
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 30, 2014 10:35 pm
Posts: 1617
Images: 2
Location: Housepets! Universe - Babylon Gardens
Post Re: Biology of Housepets!
What? But if you're not speculating about every little detail of a webcomic universe, how can you call yourself a truly obsessed fan? :)

Seriously, though - I find it fun to speculate about the Housepets! universe. I guess you could say it's my way of fanfic-ing. Also, it keeps me from obsessing about the characters and their screen time, relationships, etc. :P

_________________
Douglas isn't my real name, but because of a name block put on me by a higher-order being known as The Genii, I can't say my real name.


Last edited by Douglas Collier on Sun Apr 12, 2015 7:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.



Sun Apr 12, 2015 4:48 pm
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 06, 2015 3:04 pm
Posts: 47
Location: Somewhere in a Forest
Post Re: Biology of Housepets!
Douglas Collier wrote:
True, but it's fun to speculate about. I imagine that the root ancestor of all bipedal animals in the HP! universe evolved to stand on two legs as a way of seeing over tall grass or shrubbery.

It was the front gate, to see if the postman was coming.

Although speculating to much can obscure the story from the reader.

_________________
I'm in a tree because I'm waiting in ambush for the cat that I'm going to chase up this tree. No, I do not see any flaws with this plan.

RP Character(s)
Albert Grant, Sunset Plateau


Sun Apr 12, 2015 5:42 pm
Profile
E-Quoll to Any Challenge!
User avatar

Joined: Wed Mar 27, 2013 5:09 am
Posts: 8586
Location: Down Under
Post Re: Biology of Housepets!
Meercats. All Housepets species are definitely descended from meercats. That's why they're all so adorable. :P

I'm with Doug here though. There's no need to over-analyse or obsess over it but speculating on absurd theories is fun. :D There's no need for extremes on either end of the spectrum, I think.

_________________
My RP Characters

Avatar drawn by the incredible Rick Griffin and coloured by the amazing Arty Stu!

Image Image Image


Sun Apr 12, 2015 6:34 pm
Profile WWW
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 30, 2014 10:35 pm
Posts: 1617
Images: 2
Location: Housepets! Universe - Babylon Gardens
Post Re: Biology of Housepets!
Douglas Collier wrote:
One thing I've been contemplating is the "stompygrade" configuration of the legs and arms. I've been thinking that the tibia connects in the middle of the paw/foot; this would give the foot extra leverage in jumping or running. I imagine the stockier forearms make for more mass behind a swing (a more powerful punch/strike).
A very simple diagram of what I mean:

Image

This configuration would help the claws dig into dirt and make for better traction when running.

_________________
Douglas isn't my real name, but because of a name block put on me by a higher-order being known as The Genii, I can't say my real name.


Sun Apr 12, 2015 7:20 pm
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Tue Aug 12, 2014 6:24 pm
Posts: 4274
Post Re: Biology of Housepets!
That actually looks really nice Doug!

_________________
The Winds of Change. A continuing fanfic by me and dryideabat.


Sun Apr 12, 2015 10:02 pm
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Mon Mar 23, 2015 10:01 pm
Posts: 537
Images: 0
Location: A higher plane of existence
Post Re: Biology of Housepets!
Hlaoroo wrote:
Besides, if you say anthropomorphosisation is impossible and should be written out of animal-related stories then you've basically just broken the furry fandom. :P

Long story short, don't think about it too much. Yes, this could never happen in the real world but in the world of the imagination you're limited only by, well, your imagination so anything, including bipedal talking animals is possible!


Actually, I think I read somewhere that scientists at some university were working on a project to grow a bipedal cow. It only lived about a month, tho.

_________________
Hello, low order beings!


Mon Apr 13, 2015 10:38 pm
Profile YIM
Boiyoing!
User avatar

Joined: Thu Apr 29, 2010 1:32 am
Posts: 15903
Location: Nephelokokkygia
Post Re: Biology of Housepets!
The thing about the HP! universe is that if you over-analyze it, it's actually pretty terrifying.

_________________
Image
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!


Tue Apr 14, 2015 4:53 pm
Profile WWW
User avatar

Joined: Sun May 05, 2013 3:43 pm
Posts: 1579
Location: Skulking in Borehamwood, England
Post Re: Biology of Housepets!
Terrifying, yes, but think about how athletic our postmen would be if the dogs could do parkour! :lol:

_________________
The nine-tailed Kitsune of England.
I am Kyuunado Fureatsurī!
Want to talk? PM me or message at Kyuubi.Kitsune00@gmail.com and add me on Google+


Tue Apr 14, 2015 4:59 pm
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 06, 2015 3:04 pm
Posts: 47
Location: Somewhere in a Forest
Post Re: Biology of Housepets!
You'd have fetchdogs instead of postmen.

_________________
I'm in a tree because I'm waiting in ambush for the cat that I'm going to chase up this tree. No, I do not see any flaws with this plan.

RP Character(s)
Albert Grant, Sunset Plateau


Tue Apr 14, 2015 5:06 pm
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 30, 2014 10:35 pm
Posts: 1617
Images: 2
Location: Housepets! Universe - Babylon Gardens
Post Re: Biology of Housepets!
Of course being bipedal and having relatively short legs has its disadvantages - they wouldn't be able to run as fast as the dogs of this universe.

_________________
Douglas isn't my real name, but because of a name block put on me by a higher-order being known as The Genii, I can't say my real name.


Tue Apr 14, 2015 5:57 pm
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Tue Aug 12, 2014 6:24 pm
Posts: 4274
Post Re: Biology of Housepets!
They would be able to run just as fast as young kids in our universe.

_________________
The Winds of Change. A continuing fanfic by me and dryideabat.


Tue Apr 14, 2015 9:13 pm
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 30, 2014 10:35 pm
Posts: 1617
Images: 2
Location: Housepets! Universe - Babylon Gardens
Post Re: Biology of Housepets!
Young kids can run pretty fast.

_________________
Douglas isn't my real name, but because of a name block put on me by a higher-order being known as The Genii, I can't say my real name.


Tue Apr 14, 2015 10:39 pm
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jan 03, 2015 1:16 pm
Posts: 90
Post Re: Biology of Housepets!
The whole world is just a fiction-within-a-fiction, and the "reality" is that they're all just characters in a roleplaying game played by the "celestials." Of course, now you have to explain why they are anthropomorphic... ;)

_________________
This account is a copy of that of my Cross Time Cafe account, which I use to discuss Freefall on its forum. I have just started reading Housepets recently, but I've loved Freefall for a long time, and have written thousands of posts on its forum!


Thu Apr 16, 2015 2:12 pm
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 06, 2015 3:04 pm
Posts: 47
Location: Somewhere in a Forest
Post Re: Biology of Housepets!
Well, the celestial part is beyond our mortal understanding so we had to focus our efforts else where.

_________________
I'm in a tree because I'm waiting in ambush for the cat that I'm going to chase up this tree. No, I do not see any flaws with this plan.

RP Character(s)
Albert Grant, Sunset Plateau


Thu Apr 16, 2015 3:57 pm
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Sun Mar 02, 2014 8:51 am
Posts: 981
Location: Shining in the Boonies of Thailand
Post Re: Biology of Housepets!
1071-CCN wrote:
The whole world is just a fiction-within-a-fiction, and the "reality" is that they're all just characters in a roleplaying game played by the "celestials." Of course, now you have to explain why they are anthropomorphic... ;)


The characters aren't "just in the roleplaying game", it's stated that the Griffon and the Dragon just chose that dimension to be their battleground, not that they created it for that purpose. Unless I'm mistaken, Pete and Dragon can't even create life, they can only alter it.

_________________
I AM NOT THE ARTIST OF MY AVATAR, Banami-Luv does all the awesome art. Here is his deviantArt account. http://banami-luv.deviantart.com/

Check out the Housepets! Wiki! (http://housepetscomic.wikia.com/wiki/Housepets!_Wiki)


Thu Apr 16, 2015 8:18 pm
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Mon Mar 23, 2015 10:01 pm
Posts: 537
Images: 0
Location: A higher plane of existence
Post Re: Biology of Housepets!
SuperStar wrote:
1071-CCN wrote:
The whole world is just a fiction-within-a-fiction, and the "reality" is that they're all just characters in a roleplaying game played by the "celestials." Of course, now you have to explain why they are anthropomorphic... ;)


The characters aren't "just in the roleplaying game", it's stated that the Griffon and the Dragon just chose that dimension to be their battleground, not that they created it for that purpose. Unless I'm mistaken, Pete and Dragon can't even create life, they can only alter it.


But can Kitsune?

Mmmaaayyybbbeee.

_________________
Hello, low order beings!


Thu Apr 16, 2015 11:20 pm
Profile YIM
User avatar

Joined: Sun Mar 02, 2014 8:51 am
Posts: 981
Location: Shining in the Boonies of Thailand
Post Re: Biology of Housepets!
GreatKitsune wrote:
SuperStar wrote:
1071-CCN wrote:
The whole world is just a fiction-within-a-fiction, and the "reality" is that they're all just characters in a roleplaying game played by the "celestials." Of course, now you have to explain why they are anthropomorphic... ;)


The characters aren't "just in the roleplaying game", it's stated that the Griffon and the Dragon just chose that dimension to be their battleground, not that they created it for that purpose. Unless I'm mistaken, Pete and Dragon can't even create life, they can only alter it.


But can Kitsune?

Mmmaaayyybbbeee.



Heeesss oooonnn theeeeee saaame leveeeeel.


Just, you know, FYI.

_________________
I AM NOT THE ARTIST OF MY AVATAR, Banami-Luv does all the awesome art. Here is his deviantArt account. http://banami-luv.deviantart.com/

Check out the Housepets! Wiki! (http://housepetscomic.wikia.com/wiki/Housepets!_Wiki)


Thu Apr 16, 2015 11:42 pm
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Mon Mar 23, 2015 10:01 pm
Posts: 537
Images: 0
Location: A higher plane of existence
Post Re: Biology of Housepets!
SuperStar wrote:
GreatKitsune wrote:

But can Kitsune?

Mmmaaayyybbbeee.



Heeesss oooonnn theeeeee saaame leveeeeel.


Just, you know, FYI.


I know. It was just a joke.

_________________
Hello, low order beings!


Thu Apr 16, 2015 11:50 pm
Profile YIM
User avatar

Joined: Sun Mar 02, 2014 8:51 am
Posts: 981
Location: Shining in the Boonies of Thailand
Post Re: Biology of Housepets!
I guessed you knew, I just couldn't give up the chance to uuuuuuseeee theeeeee voooooiiiiceeee! :D

Anyway, back on topic.

_________________
I AM NOT THE ARTIST OF MY AVATAR, Banami-Luv does all the awesome art. Here is his deviantArt account. http://banami-luv.deviantart.com/

Check out the Housepets! Wiki! (http://housepetscomic.wikia.com/wiki/Housepets!_Wiki)


Fri Apr 17, 2015 5:11 am
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jan 03, 2015 1:16 pm
Posts: 90
Post Re: Biology of Housepets!
SuperStar wrote:
1071-CCN wrote:
The whole world is just a fiction-within-a-fiction, and the "reality" is that they're all just characters in a roleplaying game played by the "celestials." Of course, now you have to explain why they are anthropomorphic... ;)


The characters aren't "just in the roleplaying game", it's stated that the Griffon and the Dragon just chose that dimension to be their battleground, not that they created it for that purpose. Unless I'm mistaken, Pete and Dragon can't even create life, they can only alter it.

Okay, but then what was up with the time we saw the Dragon living in what appears to be an ordinary teenager's bedroom, looking normal-sized? Could someone explain that, or is it best to remain a mystery?

_________________
This account is a copy of that of my Cross Time Cafe account, which I use to discuss Freefall on its forum. I have just started reading Housepets recently, but I've loved Freefall for a long time, and have written thousands of posts on its forum!


Mon Apr 27, 2015 12:58 pm
Profile
not a sandwich
User avatar

Joined: Fri Oct 31, 2008 5:42 pm
Posts: 8236
Images: 0
Post Re: Biology of Housepets!
Is that how you perceived The Spirit Dragon and her lair? Fascinating...

_________________
Dissension doesn't exist.


Mon Apr 27, 2015 1:12 pm
Profile WWW
E-Quoll to Any Challenge!
User avatar

Joined: Wed Mar 27, 2013 5:09 am
Posts: 8586
Location: Down Under
Post Re: Biology of Housepets!
They have magical powers. They are higher order beings after all. They can make themselves whatever size and shape they want.

Back on topic though, after looking at Doug's diagram and comparing it to the characters in the comic, and after having pondered it and compared it to what I know of anatomy, I can see how it works. Mechanically and anatomically speaking their hind limbs will be closer to that of humans than animals in our world which makes a lot of sense when you think about it.

_________________
My RP Characters

Avatar drawn by the incredible Rick Griffin and coloured by the amazing Arty Stu!

Image Image Image


Mon Apr 27, 2015 1:13 pm
Profile WWW
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 30, 2014 10:35 pm
Posts: 1617
Images: 2
Location: Housepets! Universe - Babylon Gardens
Post Re: Biology of Housepets!
My question: Do the animals have fur on the palms of their hands? I wonder because that'd make them harder to keep clean.

_________________
Douglas isn't my real name, but because of a name block put on me by a higher-order being known as The Genii, I can't say my real name.


Tue Apr 28, 2015 7:56 am
Profile
Smiley McSmiles
User avatar

Joined: Tue Apr 27, 2010 1:56 pm
Posts: 1568
Location: The Housepets Forum ^^
Post Re: Biology of Housepets!
It would certainly appear that way

_________________
Image


Tue Apr 28, 2015 8:33 am
Profile
E-Quoll to Any Challenge!
User avatar

Joined: Wed Mar 27, 2013 5:09 am
Posts: 8586
Location: Down Under
Post Re: Biology of Housepets!
I'd say they do but I don't think it's thick, poofy stuff on the handpaws. It would be flatter, thinner stuff like you see on paws in dogs in our world, I think.
Rabbits actually don't have pawpads even in our world so for them they'll definitely have fur there.

_________________
My RP Characters

Avatar drawn by the incredible Rick Griffin and coloured by the amazing Arty Stu!

Image Image Image


Tue Apr 28, 2015 9:01 am
Profile WWW
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 30, 2014 10:35 pm
Posts: 1617
Images: 2
Location: Housepets! Universe - Babylon Gardens
Post Re: Biology of Housepets!
Aha! An evolutionary chain! Ok, so we can probably assume that bipedalism came first, and either fluffy pads or bare hands (mice, oppossums, etc.) developed afterward. I'm guessing that fluffy paws developed in order to maximize dexterity (lack of a thick pad) while ensuring warmth in a cold environment.

_________________
Douglas isn't my real name, but because of a name block put on me by a higher-order being known as The Genii, I can't say my real name.


Tue Apr 28, 2015 9:27 am
Profile
BIG BROTHER IS WATCHING YOU
User avatar

Joined: Sun Aug 09, 2009 8:00 am
Posts: 1630
Post Re: Biology of Housepets!
If your wondering how they eat and sleep and other science fact. Repeat to yourself "It's just a cartoon.", you should really just relax.


Wed Apr 29, 2015 3:21 pm
Profile ICQ YIM
User avatar

Joined: Fri Feb 20, 2015 9:26 pm
Posts: 353
Images: 2
Location: 26 Oak Street, Applegate
Post Re: Biology of Housepets!
Quit being a buzkill. Some of us actually like reading his theories you know.

_________________
Buster & Duster
Bowser
ImageImageImage


Wed Apr 29, 2015 4:41 pm
Profile
E-Quoll to Any Challenge!
User avatar

Joined: Wed Mar 27, 2013 5:09 am
Posts: 8586
Location: Down Under
Post Re: Biology of Housepets!
I agree. Some of us actually use this as a way to relax and have fun, you know, Fox.

Douglas Collier wrote:
Aha! An evolutionary chain! Ok, so we can probably assume that bipedalism came first, and either fluffy pads or bare hands (mice, oppossums, etc.) developed afterward. I'm guessing that fluffy paws developed in order to maximize dexterity (lack of a thick pad) while ensuring warmth in a cold environment.

One thing I have seen in furry art is rather than having a thick pad, the pad of the handpaw is more a patch of tough, hardened skin. That way you still get maximal dexterity while having maximal protection from the pad. I wonder if that would be in the chain anywhere and what would have influenced its development or die-off.

_________________
My RP Characters

Avatar drawn by the incredible Rick Griffin and coloured by the amazing Arty Stu!

Image Image Image


Wed Apr 29, 2015 5:35 pm
Profile WWW
laughing maniacally
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:42 pm
Posts: 17682
Location: an invisible, flying volcano over Virginia
Post Re: Biology of Housepets!
Hlaoroo wrote:
One thing I have seen in furry art is rather than having a thick pad, the pad of the handpaw is more a patch of tough, hardened skin.

so sort of like callouses on humans?

_________________
I'm a shape-shifter. I'm currently in whatever form I feel like
Image
Paradigm Shift by me
I do not actually believe any of what I'm saying.
RP character sheets


Wed Apr 29, 2015 5:39 pm
Profile
E-Quoll to Any Challenge!
User avatar

Joined: Wed Mar 27, 2013 5:09 am
Posts: 8586
Location: Down Under
Post Re: Biology of Housepets!
Well, not really. It's pigmented like a pad and in the shape of a pad, it's just a lot flatter.

_________________
My RP Characters

Avatar drawn by the incredible Rick Griffin and coloured by the amazing Arty Stu!

Image Image Image


Wed Apr 29, 2015 5:58 pm
Profile WWW

Joined: Sat Mar 21, 2015 2:21 pm
Posts: 17
Location: California
Post Re: Biology of Housepets!
Buster wrote:
Quit being a buzkill. Some of us actually like reading his theories you know.

I second that.

Douglas Collier wrote:
Aha! An evolutionary chain! Ok, so we can probably assume that bipedalism came first, and either fluffy pads or bare hands (mice, oppossums, etc.) developed afterward. I'm guessing that fluffy paws developed in order to maximize dexterity (lack of a thick pad) while ensuring warmth in a cold environment.


What if it wasnt evolution?, What if It was ALIENS? :)
A theaory worthy of Agent Mulder of the X-Files.(at least what I think that is something he would Say)


Mod Edit: Please use the edit button to avoid double posting if you have more to add and your post is most recent


Wed Apr 29, 2015 8:17 pm
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Sun Mar 02, 2014 8:51 am
Posts: 981
Location: Shining in the Boonies of Thailand
Post Re: Biology of Housepets!
deep winter wrote:
Douglas Collier wrote:
Aha! An evolutionary chain! Ok, so we can probably assume that bipedalism came first, and either fluffy pads or bare hands (mice, oppossums, etc.) developed afterward. I'm guessing that fluffy paws developed in order to maximize dexterity (lack of a thick pad) while ensuring warmth in a cold environment.


What if it wasnt evolution?, What if It was ALIENS? :)
A theaory worthy of Agent Mulder of the X-Files.(at least what I think that is something he would Say)


Grape seems to disagree, http://www.housepetscomic.com/2008/10/2 ... rathustra/
:P

_________________
I AM NOT THE ARTIST OF MY AVATAR, Banami-Luv does all the awesome art. Here is his deviantArt account. http://banami-luv.deviantart.com/

Check out the Housepets! Wiki! (http://housepetscomic.wikia.com/wiki/Housepets!_Wiki)


Wed Apr 29, 2015 8:50 pm
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 64 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by ST Software for PTF.