Housepets! Television Series???

Discuss the comic here
Anthroguy101

Re: Housepets! Television Series???

Post by Anthroguy101 »

rickgriffin wrote:I have a feeling that nobody here actually watches cartoons
I remember the Animation Renaissance of the 1990's (which actually started in the late 80's before I was born). That all came to a screeching halt in 2000. It started after the 1999 Kids Choice Awards ("...and then along came a sponge.") Now I would say we're in the Age of Suck, where nearly all children's cartoons suck and gimmicky cash cows are exploited to no end. There is no greater example than what Cartoon Network became. Let's face it: it is a wreck. They broke it (that's the mild way of putting it), and I'll never forgive Ted Turner for that.

I see a lot of humor in a Housepets! TV series. I do think it would have great potential. I also can see it as an anime. It would probably be one of those few things that would "defy a genre."
Ebly

Post by Ebly »

you guys, what on earth are you going on about. the cartoons we watched as kids were just as greedy as cartoons kids watch today. just because we did not have "catdog: the rabbit's revenge 2" does not mean catdog was altruistic and perfect and a model for all cartoons

okay bad example since i really really disliked catdog

but the point remains. i can't help but read the posts here and think some people are putting 'their' cartoons on a pedestal and saying everything is horrible for kids today.
don't forget the abstract magic of childhood. i'll use ben 10 as an example of a horrible cash cow. i know plenty kids who watch ben 10 and think it is just the most amazing concept ever. now consider that we used to watch an asinine cartoon about a bunch of babies with massively disproportionate heads and consider it a classic. i feel i would have been much happier watching ben 10 than rugrats.
also i can't complain about ted; philanthropy sways me

we're not even talking about a housepets tv series anymore
does it even have to be fully-animated, i mean, they do pretty awesome things with animating just the mouth of animals . . . and yes we could so get a purple cat shuddup
I was going to make a joke but then I did.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

There is some nostalgia filter going on, but as hard as I try to think objectively, I think the '90s had disproportionately good cartoons. Perhaps I still am somewhat biased, but I'm trying not to. If it helps, I didn't like Rocko's Modern Life when I was little and now that I watch it (filter-free) I think it's better than I did then. That has to count for something. Incidentally, I didn't like Catdog either.

Spongebob didn't kill the renaissance, it just marked the end of it. It was still a great show.

And that asinine cartoon about babies was a fairly clever commentary about parenthood as well as various elements of the world when seen from a less familiar viewpoint. At least until it started being an asinine cartoon about a bunch of babies with massively disproportionate heads.
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
Senator_Sunburst

Post by Senator_Sunburst »

I loved Ben 10. I hated Alien Force. I barely finished the thing. I haven't started watching that 3rd series they got going, I don't remember what it's called. Is Ben 10 better than Rugrats? Yes. I hated that show when I was a kid. I liked All Grown Up better and that show wasn't very good. I loved Catdog though. And Diet Pepsi. Can't forget Pepsi.

I don't think the 90's had better cartoons. Cartoon quality has been mostly the same I think. You just got to know what's good and what's not.

So...a Housepets! cartoon...yeah. Someone awesome should try writing a pilot script to see if it could work out.
Koda

Post by Koda »

A cartoon can't happen for many reasons (I'm guessing), but he might make a YouTube series.
yuki wrote: It is purpose that created us, purpose that pulls us, that guides us, that drives us. It is purpose that defines us, purpose that binds us.
Anthroguy101

Post by Anthroguy101 »

Koda wrote:A cartoon can't happen for many reasons (I'm guessing), but he might make a YouTube series.
Anyone here an expert on Flash or digital 2-D whatever? The biggest road block is voice talents, and I have yet to hear you people's voices. Anime would probably be easier to accomplish.
Ebly

Post by Ebly »

Anthroguy101 wrote:The biggest road block is voice talents, and I have yet to hear you people's voices.
well presumably vadiant and obbl will remedy that soon
I was going to make a joke but then I did.
Harby

Post by Harby »

Anthroguy101 wrote:
Koda wrote:A cartoon can't happen for many reasons (I'm guessing), but he might make a YouTube series.
Anyone here an expert on Flash or digital 2-D whatever? The biggest road block is voice talents, and I have yet to hear you people's voices. Anime would probably be easier to accomplish.

I could give it a try, maybe we, the housepet members could do the voices for the characters i mean we know the characters more then anyone else.
Memory is the key.
sliceofdog

Post by sliceofdog »

Harby wrote: I could give it a try, maybe we, the housepet members could do the voices for the characters i mean we know the characters more then anyone else.
There's already a whole project for that XD
Housepets audio project; https://www.housepetscomic.com/forums/v ... ?f=2&t=268

Not that they have to be mutually exclusive, but lots of forum members are already trying to lend their voices to characters.
Anthroguy101 wrote:
Actually, I'd say that that in an amateur cartoon project (Like one done in Flash and put up on Newgrounds and Youtube) the biggest block would be getting someone to animate it. Anyone with a mic can at least try voice acting, but properly animating takes a lot of time and effort. And that's from someone who's tried both.

In a professional cartoon, neither animating nor voice acting are a problem. King of the Hill managed 13 seasons with this pretty awful pitch; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aaB9NZyiphM

What you need for professional cartoons are a good script (Which is pretty much covered by Rick and the comics themselves) and good marketing. The rest can come later.
Anthroguy101

Post by Anthroguy101 »

We could add animation on top of the radio plays later on.
MadLadTony

Post by MadLadTony »

I would absolutely LOVE a Housepets tv show!! I'd just hope for it to have the original creator involved to ensure that it's close to the original comic. I could see it being a really great cartoon series!
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

MadLadTony wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 9:58 am I would absolutely LOVE a Housepets tv show!! I'd just hope for it to have the original creator involved to ensure that it's close to the original comic. I could see it being a really great cartoon series!
I also - but I'd worry about the insertion of "creative committees", storyline survey teams, and all the other commercializations that seem to infiltrate these projects. I'd have nightmares about the narrative monstrosities that would arise if Rick ever lost control of the series.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Turning Joey into an extreme klutzy nerd with no redeeming qualities who only exists to get picked on and Grape outright dumping Max to get with the hunk of the week. :?
Harry Johnathan

Post by Harry Johnathan »

King and Bailey's relationship problems are increased sevenfold, resulting in one of the most reviled couples in animation history. Peanut is reduced to a complete doofus with no redeeming qualities whatsoever, Kitsune magically fixes every conflict come the episode's end without anyone learning anything at all.
Sarah was afraid, so she lied and said, “I did not laugh.” But [The LORD] said, “Yes, you did laugh.” - Genesis 18:15 (NIV).
MadLadTony

Post by MadLadTony »

Imagine Breel ends up being completely cut from the TV series, as the writers were all nervous of having an LGBT+ couple in a kids' show. Same goes for the Kangaroo bros.

I'll have my protesting sign prepared just in case

Zach's whole arc with him being worshiped as The Opener of Ways gets cut, because the writers felt it was making fun of religious people.
Last edited by D-Rock on Tue Jan 19, 2021 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Please use the Edit button on the top right corner of your post if you wish to immediately add more.
Harry Johnathan

Post by Harry Johnathan »

MadLadTony wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 12:53 pm Zach's whole arc with him being worshiped as The Opener of Ways gets cut, because the writers felt it was making fun of religious people.
Tiger is removed from the cast after 4 episodes due to protests that he is making fun of people with mental illness. In turn, every arc featuring Tiger is edited to replace him with an original character named "Lion". Every episode ends with the K9s telling the audiance the "moral of the story", which in and of itself wouldn't be bad if the morals they taught didn't include things like "crying solves all your problems" and "only vegans can go to Heaven."
Sarah was afraid, so she lied and said, “I did not laugh.” But [The LORD] said, “Yes, you did laugh.” - Genesis 18:15 (NIV).
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

All good examples of why Rick probably has strong reservations about going public, at least in a television/cable venue. A movie, now, might face a lot less resistance of the type you've all described, and the push-back would be more containable.
Obbl
Smiley McSmiles

Post by Obbl »

Yes, let's not go down the road of mocking hyperbolic stereotypes of TV show tropes. What do you want to see in a Housepets! TV show and how could the adaptation to TV be done well?
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Well, many of the earlier episodes would serve to introduce the main characters, and the stories would fit into twenty minute single episodes (thirty minutes with commercial) breaks. While the first season unfolded, you could produce the second season as an extended story - part of the Joel-King-Bailey saga or Satau-Ptah. At the end of a year (about fourteen episodes), you know if there was enough support for a second season. If there wasn't the support for continued TV programming, you'd have enough material to make a theatre movie or try to interest Netflix. Mebbee.