How do you feel about Spot comics?

Discuss the comic here

(extremely diss voice) Please tell me whether you like Spot the Superdog strips!

They're my favorites, I love them!
7%
They're OK, I like them.
43%
I have no strong feelings, thanks for an option as null as my heart.
26%
They're not OK, I dislike them.
19%
I hate them; I literally push my thumbs through my eye sockets and die every time I see one.
5%

Total votes: 91

Dissension

How do you feel about Spot comics?

Post by Dissension »

Polls are a thing and have been a thing longer than they have on Twitter. You just have to PM me a request to update yer permissions.

people are the only things that matter; take care of yourselves and each other
Hlaoroo
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!

Re: How do you feel about Spot comics?

Post by Hlaoroo »

I like Grape's editorial comments on them better than I like them, really. But they're still fun. ^^
Frostwood Forever! <3

My RP Characters

Avatar drawn by the amazing ScruffKerfluff!

GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

Hlaoroo wrote:I like Grape's editorial comments on them better than I like them, really. But they're still fun. ^^
Same here. They are ok on their own, but they are much better when the comic characters comment on them :3
3 words - Liquid Metal Fur
enoua5

Post by enoua5 »

I found them obnoxious on the first read-through; I just wanted to get back to the story. Second read-through, I really liked them. I suppose that's because I already knew where the story was going.

All in all, I like them, but I'm impatient.
Bandit1990

Post by Bandit1990 »

I like the bits with Joey and his commissioned art, (and how he signs all of his panels, to Peanut's annoyance)

I also enjoyed the really meta one with the critic.

Check out Lightning Dogs on the Nerdyshow Podcast Network

It's an in-development animated series following a team of Anthro-Dogs trapped in the Wastelands of a ruined Earth.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I can either take them or leave them. Though I slightly would prefer if they weren't given their own arcs.
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

Dissension wrote:Polls are a thing and have been a thing longer than they have on Twitter. You just have to PM me a request to update yer permissions.
Well, I didn’t know. Okay then.

I laughed way too hard on that last option.
Housepets! Fan Fiction By Fenrir Black M.A.
There is a price to pay for defying fate.
Gameb18oy
Game Master

Post by Gameb18oy »

... I mean, I know I complained about them but I’m a little surprised it led to this
Leafolawl

Post by Leafolawl »

I feel like they have their place. I can't say I like or hate them, because they can be funny in how meta they get, and how they're sometimes used to make jokes on the Housepets! universe itself.

My only complaint with them is that they can feel out of place without Peanut sharing some kind of thought.

I assume the implication of the Spot(superdog) comics showing up is Peanut showing his comics around, filling in throw-away space between arcs. They just feel awkward to me without some level of Housepets! universe outside of the fact Spot(superdog) is Peanut's drawing and writing.
Love me right now! Done.
SoujiTheFox wrote:(9:36:35 PM) Steve: THE CHRIST AM I NAMED STEVE FOR
Why do I still find this funny?
Gameb18oy
Game Master

Post by Gameb18oy »

Personally, I want to see more of Grape’s saucy fanfic just to counterbalance, maybe when Res inevitably becomes a resident of Babylon Gardens, she can go to him for help writing in a similar structure to how Peanut keeps going to Joey to show artistic progress (or implied lack there of)
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

Gameb18oy wrote: maybe when Res inevitably becomes a resident of Babylon Gardens
I'm waiting for that too although I don't know how Rick would spin that to make it believable. At this point the best we can hope for is that the Pridelands Book 7 tour comes around. Hopefully soon. Or Res needs another vacation (he can't stop transforming) and seeks help from Grape and Co. Either way it would always be temporary. OR he comes to Babylon Gardens looking for inspiration for a new series (I did something similar in my FanFic) so possibility.
Gameb18oy
Game Master

Post by Gameb18oy »

fenrirblack wrote:
Gameb18oy wrote: maybe when Res inevitably becomes a resident of Babylon Gardens
I'm waiting for that too although I don't know how Rick would spin that to make it believable. At this point the best we can hope for is that the Pridelands Book 7 tour comes around. Hopefully soon. Or Res needs another vacation (he can't stop transforming) and seeks help from Grape and Co. Either way it would always be temporary. OR he comes to Babylon Gardens looking for inspiration for a new series (I did something similar in my FanFic) so possibility.
inspiration for his next series well I guess there’s a reason for Grape showing her fanfic now, I’m sure Gapre would be a great addition to the next series of books Res works on
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

Gameb18oy wrote:
fenrirblack wrote:
inspiration for his next series well I guess there’s a reason for Grape showing her fanfic now, I’m sure Gapre would be a great addition to the next series of books Res works on
I was totally thinking that. I wanted to do one of my dialogues but I couldn't think of the right words.
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

I find them to be fun changes of pace.
Faith doesn't change circumstances. Faith changes me.
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

i don't mind the one page ones, but the longer ones are frequently hard to make sense of, and tend to overstay their welcome.
If we were going to get filler arcs either way, i'd rather they be something like an imaginate or two.
Most important thing I've learned from D&D?
No matter how tempting it may be, as a DM I can't both present a problem and solve it.
Every time a DMPC or NPC fixes something a payer couldn't i'm diminishing and undermining that player's contribution.
Gameb18oy
Game Master

Post by Gameb18oy »

Really? I kinda would assume the imaginate ones have less fans, mostly due to a lot of them referencing really obscure plays and stuff
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

I have honestly never read a few of the Imaginate arcs. Every time I get to them I just skip them altogether. Guys and Dolls, Macbeth. then there were none.
Bandit1990

Post by Bandit1990 »

The plays they've done are Macbeth (which needs no introduction), Guys and Dolls (Multiple award winning Broadway Musical with 11 stage revivals and a film), and And Then There Were None (One of the better known Agatha Christie novels, which has had multiple film and stage adaptations, although I'll admit this one is more popular in Europe than the US).

I wouldn't necessarily call them obscure.

It's an in-development animated series following a team of Anthro-Dogs trapped in the Wastelands of a ruined Earth.
Gameb18oy
Game Master

Post by Gameb18oy »

Leaving out the bizarre Christmas play fusion thing? I suppose calling them all obscure was unnecessarily harsh, though I do think my point stands that they don’t work as well if you don’t know the source material that well
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

Only one I'm familiar with was Macbeth. I personally don't think knowledge of the original is necessary to enjoy those most of the time, as I found them fun. It's like me with Abridged series. I get my anime fix through those, and I'm super out of the loop on the most popular ones.

Yes, even DBZ.

But I'm also somewhat easy to please, so take that with a grain of salt.
Faith doesn't change circumstances. Faith changes me.
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

At least the Imaginate arcs have some effect on the story of the comic. Spot usually doesn't contribute much at all, though it would be nice at least once it does. Joey seems the most interested besides Peanut =3
Gameb18oy
Game Master

Post by Gameb18oy »

Um, they do? I’ve never noticed their impacts so forgive me if me asking that question seems disrespectful
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

The only impact I can think of is that the later Imaginate stories actually bring in multiple characters and unite the Spheres in a way that is rarely seen. There the few times King is involved with the rest of the pets and not just Fox and Bailey.
Leafolawl

Post by Leafolawl »

The imaginate arcs are one of my personal favorites, and I can't really say I know all the source material. It grants us a look at the pets from the light of the childish "BUT WHAT IF" impulse, and it's refreshing when it happens.

It's the same reason I like the Spot(superdog) comics, even though the comics I find can ruin their own joke every now and again.
Love me right now! Done.
SoujiTheFox wrote:(9:36:35 PM) Steve: THE CHRIST AM I NAMED STEVE FOR
Why do I still find this funny?
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

Some examples i like to mention that Spot had an impact on the story would be Imaginate, Too!, The Preeminent Adventures of Spot (My favorite :3) and The Retroactively Continuous Adventures of Spot.

Joey being involved in The Spot-tacular Spot was fantastic <3
furrygamer793

Post by furrygamer793 »

Meh.
Rp characters
Greetings, fellow sapient beings.
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

GameCobra wrote:Some examples i like to mention that Spot had an impact on the story would be Imaginate, Too!, The Preeminent Adventures of Spot (My favorite :3) and The Retroactively Continuous Adventures of Spot.

Imaginate, Too!, was/is the best one. If the others used tarots holo powers then we would have something.
Gameb18oy
Game Master

Post by Gameb18oy »

fenrirblack wrote:
GameCobra wrote:Some examples i like to mention that Spot had an impact on the story would be Imaginate, Too!, The Preeminent Adventures of Spot (My favorite :3) and The Retroactively Continuous Adventures of Spot.

Imaginate, Too!, was/is the best one. If the others used tarots holo powers then we would have something.
... actually, why doesn’t that happen more? I always feel that one time they kinda used her powers like a holodeck they weren’t really well utilized. Good idea, less than stellar execution. It be nice to see Rick take another stab at it sometime
Bandit1990

Post by Bandit1990 »

I don't think Tarot can do that anymore, her reduced powers seem more limited to basic clairvoyance and the ritual magic she knows.

fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

The better question was why wasn't it done before she lost her powers. Peanut gave that wimpy excuse that it was Grape's fault.
I know the "real" reason but I'm hoping there is a better one than what Im thinking of.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

I'm neither here nor there on Spot. Rick likes to do them and, additionally - as already noted - they often lead funnier reactions between Peanut and Grape, Joey, and others. Occasionally, I get the feeling Rick uses Peanut's interaction with his critics to make gentle fun of how an artist relates with fans.

I've always loved the Imaginate arcs; they almost have Marx brothers zanyness quality about them. It doesn't hurt, too, that I'm familiar with the original so I know the context of Rick's satire. Ever now and then, when I need a pick-me-up, i'll dig out the Christmas Imaginate, which I also read every Christmas Eve. The fact that these parodies also use a large number of the cast, including many of the "seldom-seens" is a plus, too.
Last edited by NHWestoN on Sat Dec 01, 2018 8:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Obbl
Smiley McSmiles

Post by Obbl »

But that's the thing for me. I hadn't seen Guys and Dolls, but I absolutely loved that one :lol:
And with "And Then There Were None", I deliberately stopped reading the comic until I had gone to the library and read the book myself just because the comic made me so interested in the story. And the Christmas Pageant is some of the best slice of life fun time story in the comic. :D
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

If you get a chance, Obbi, get your hands on the 1945 movie version of And Then There Were None. It's a terrific flik and the re-read of the Housepets version is even funnier after you've seen the original. (Hope you like the book, too). ;)
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

I personally think the Spot comics would be better as Spot stories. You know using the Spot design from Imaginate, Too! and actually have real story telling and real professional drawn pictures. I know that goes against the point of the Spot comics but since they have no real purpose other than for filler, something to think about.
Gameb18oy
Game Master

Post by Gameb18oy »

fenrirblack wrote:I personally think the Spot comics would be better as Spot stories. You know using the Spot design from Imaginate, Too! and actually have real story telling and real professional drawn pictures. I know that goes against the point of the Spot comics but since they have no real purpose other than for filler, something to think about.
... oh you mean visualization of scripts Peanut comes up with before he starts drawing? Kinda letting us see what he imagines it will look like instead of what the end product will be?
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

Yeah, something like that seeing the story unfold in real time.
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

it might be kinda funny if out there somewhere spot lives in his own little universe and every now and then there are just 'comic days' where whatever peanut has been writing just happens, just to see how the locals deal with those moments after the fact.
Most important thing I've learned from D&D?
No matter how tempting it may be, as a DM I can't both present a problem and solve it.
Every time a DMPC or NPC fixes something a payer couldn't i'm diminishing and undermining that player's contribution.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I'd assume they would deal with everything the same way the people who live in Metropolis deal with everything that happens.
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

Locals: "Time to move."
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

I think they're pretty fun. I second having commentary making them better!
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!