Highlighting plot relevant arcs?

Discuss the comic here
exranio

Highlighting plot relevant arcs?

Post by exranio »

I was just thinking that some arcs have a lot more to do with the plot than others, and that maybe they should be highlighted.
Arcs such as the "grove" or "dog-days of summer". This is just a suggestion that came up in the morning but i think its a could idea.
So check out my Deviant art http://exranion.deviantart.com/ It has ponies, furries, and the link to my tumblr!
Aquablast

Re: Highlighting plot relevant arcs?

Post by Aquablast »

Well, even though there are Pete, Spirit Dragon, and the relationship between Peanut and Grape. I still think every arc is equally plot relevant. To me Housepets is about the pets' life, so I don't really find it necessary to highlight it.

There are both "everyday life" and "adventure" in Housepets, but I like them both equally.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Is this comic really that plot-driven? I see the "filler arcs" as just as important, and knowing the overall plot isn't really necessary to appreciate each comic.
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
Liam

Post by Liam »

Aquablast wrote:I still think every arc is equally plot relevant. To me Housepets is about the pets' life, so I don't really find it necessary to highlight it.
Word.

Their life in general constitutes the overall plot and story respectively, whereas there isn't one main plot thread that the others revolve around IMO.
"It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends upon his not understanding it." - Upton Sinclair
Wanderer wrote:You don't need a job, you need money.
exranio

Post by exranio »

ok i get that this was a generally bad idea I'm sorry.
So check out my Deviant art http://exranion.deviantart.com/ It has ponies, furries, and the link to my tumblr!
FlintTheSquirrel

Post by FlintTheSquirrel »

Don't worry about it, it is just the way the comic is presented.
Liam

Post by Liam »

Thirty days in the oubliette should atone for your sins.
"It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends upon his not understanding it." - Upton Sinclair
Wanderer wrote:You don't need a job, you need money.
Esquire Fox

Post by Esquire Fox »

It is a lot better than it used to be.
Before this, the arcs were ordered alphabetically.
- Esquire Fox

What do you mean that's not what the signature is for?
Ebly

Post by Ebly »

Okay well even if all are important, I still think it would be pretty interesting to see if we can establish direct ties between certain arcs, i.e. actually separate arcs with similar plotlines and attempt to establish an overarching idea for each?

i mean i think it's meant to be presented chronologically? but we can still create a kind of storyline flow chart, i.e.

The Grove –> Oops I Arced v
A Sinister Shadow -> It's A Wonderful Dog's Life -> Dog Days of Summer

i mean, if someone has enough free time, i guess it could be fun
I was going to make a joke but then I did.
Aquablast

Post by Aquablast »

Here is a Housepets plot chart I made!

It is a bit messy, with some flaws:
- This chart doesn't include any One-offs, Spot, or general arcs.
- Technically 33. Theme Park World is a general arc but I included it anyway.
- Minor appearance in an arc doesn't count. So I didn't link Bino and Grape, even though they both appeared in 32. Dog Days of Summer.
- 02. The Game, 03. Cat Tail, and 06. Fido's Return counts as Bino's arc since Bino is pretty much the cause of the conflict. Whereas Bino only worsen King's conflict during 27. It's A Wonderful Dog's Life.
- I didn't link Bino to 22. Money Sharks because I forgot and now I am too lazy to edit it again, even though he almost took over half of the arc.
- I forgot to link Bino to 16. Zap!, even though he is the main victim of that arc. (And I am still too lazy to fix that)
Ebly

Post by Ebly »

*giggles* I meant story-wise rather than character-wise, but that could be interesting too.

I should do something in my spare time.
I was going to make a joke but then I did.
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

Here's some thing I just did pretty quickly I'll revise it in the morning.

Romance Plot: Imaginate! ====>Cat Tail ====>Fido's Return ====>(Housepets Christmas) ====>The Yarn Ball ====>(Road Trip Woo!) ====>Down at the Farm ====>n-Pile Date ====>Imaginate Too!====>???
Fido&Sabrina Plot: Fido's Return ====>A Mouse Named Spo ====>???
The Cosmic Nerds Plot: The Grove ====>Ops I Arced====>Dog Days of Summer====>???
King Plot: A Sinister Shadow ====>(The Visitor)====>Its a Wonderful Dogs Life====>All the King's Men====>Dog Days of Summer====>???
Ferret/Treasure Plot: (The Zoo)====>Money Sharks ====>The Visitor ====>Ocean's Two====>(Dog Days of Summer)====>(Theme Park World)====>???

====>: A link between the Arcs/Arc is important to this over all Plot
():Tentative link to this over all Plot

Edit: Added in Imaginate! because it introduces the main characters (I can't believe I missed it last night) and Housepets Christmas as a Tentative Arc link because Max finds out Grape is a Girl in it. Also changed The Yarn Ball arc from Tentative because its really not.
Edit2: Added in All the King's Men to the King Plot. Added Ocean's Two and The Zoo (only because of the Dolphins. That and Theme Park World may end up being taken out later) to Ferret Plot
Last edited by IceKitsune on Fri Sep 03, 2010 3:41 pm, edited 7 times in total.
Aquablast

Post by Aquablast »

I find Housepets to be a fairly character-driven comic, I did say I think Housepets is about the pets' life.

And you should come to the IRC too in your spare time, Ebly!
exranio

Post by exranio »

I think the sub plot goes a bit more like this

Imaginate > cat tail> the raccoons > > Fido's return > the grove > housepets Christmas > the yarn ball > a mouse named spo > a sinister shadow > Road trip woo > Down at the farm > Money sharks > n-nple date > the visitor > oops i arced > its a wonderful dogs life > Imaginat too > dog days of summer

I only just noticed that includes quite a bit of the comic. A mouse named spo, Money sharks , and the visitor are mostly there just cause they introduced new characters.
Aquablast

Post by Aquablast »

I personally think the only event-driven arcs in Housepets are Pete/Cosmic Nerds, the PETA members, and (only somewhat... For now) the Milton Family. But even then, they are very character-centric.
exranio

Post by exranio »

It is character centric
but there is no denying that there is a main plot going underneath that.
well two anyway a romance plot and a the cosmic nerds plot
though now they are really both parts of one plot