There's something I noticed and is troubling me.

Discuss the comic here
Gren

There's something I noticed and is troubling me.

Post by Gren »

First let me tell you I'm here with no intention of complaining. I know pretty well how the comic works and the silliness that usually implies, even though there are every now and then some things which tend to exceed the ratings and are not intended for kids in the first place (such as that comic with Duchess lying in King's bed or Squeak's foot fetishism). Of course, I'm not saying there's anything bad with this since there wasn't anything explicit (though some people could feel alarmed of such implications).

Okay, here's the thing. I know that I'm probably reading too much between the lines, but I think there're some cases of pedogogue implied in the comic, and I think that's not only inappropriate for kids but for adults too (and I wouldn't recommend it not even implicitly).
I know this seems crazy but it popped up in my head after I noticed the age difference between Fido and Sabrina (which was implied in “Jungle Fever” and I have nothing against it). The thing is that it was stated in the cast page (and was implied in “Housepets Babies!”) that Fido began his relationship with Sabrina when he was just a pup (in other words, a little kid). But Sabrina was a fully grown female at the time. Why would she be interested in a kid? And I don't even want to know how old was Max when she dated with him.

Before you say anything, I know that animals doesn't have the same morals as humans and this is actually how it works in real life. But then again, they're not just animals in this comic but a metaphor of human beings and people identifies with them because they are much more human-like than animal-like due to their behavior and personality. That's why it bugs me.
Grown female cat dating with a puppy and a kitten ≃ Grown woman dating with two kids.
When you see it this way is quite disturbing, don't you think?

The case of Peanut and Tarot is not that bad (even if the age difference is greater) because Tarot at least had the decency to wait until Peanut was old enough before starting going out with him. However, she seemed interested in him long before that, which is a bit concerning.

There's also the case of Sabrina and Jata, but the age difference was only a year and we can just assume that they were nothing but stupid and naive teenagers blinded by love. (Sabrina had six months and Jata a year and half. I think they were young enough to even take them seriously).

That's all. I only find troublesome the first case I mentioned. The latter two are not that alarming but still have some weird implications there. Now I don't want to tell you how to do your job Mr. Griffin but I think it would be the best if you edit that paragraph in the cast page and clarify the moment when they first met. Unless you're reserving that as a plot for a future arc but still I think it would be nice if you delete that part.

Thanks and sorry if I am just being stupid. Maybe I just misunderstand everything and this all is a whole nonsense. It just I can't get that image out of my head and it's disturbing me. And I really don't want to think that way of my favorite character.
ImageImage
Obbl
Smiley McSmiles

Re: There's something I noticed and is troubling me.

Post by Obbl »

First let me say I think you're over-thinking this.
I'm not sure what part of the Housepets Babies arc you're thinking of that implies Fido is already dating Sabrina. I took his "Our stance on cats is neutral" comment to be very typical of Fido without the necessity for any cat relationships at the time. Unless you're thinking of something else that eludes me.

If you work out the ages based on the fact that the longest realistic lifespan of dogs and cats is about 40, they probably reach full maturity between 4 and 5. Fido's probably got about 2-3 years on Grape and Peanut (who were very young in the Housepets Babies arc), which means maybe 2 years after that arc Fido is basically an adult. Yet he would also still be pretty young. This is what I've always assumed was meant by "pup" in the cast page. Kind of a "young adult". It's that fuzzy area where there is no legal cut-off age, you just know when you know.

Sabrina still appears to be fairly older than Fido, but I don't think she started this before he was receptive
valerio

Post by valerio »

yes. You are DEFINITELY overthinking this. Enough of that. Please.
Gren

Post by Gren »

Yeah, I won't discuss against that. I think I tend to put my mind too much on things and that's a really bad habit of mine.
Let's just ignore the subject summoned in this thread and move on with other (less creepy) things.
You can close this thread now. Sorry for the inconvenience.
ImageImage