Trying out cover ideas

Discuss the comic here

Of these, the best for a first year book cover? (select as many as you like)

Towels <3
46%
Neck Nakers!
24%
Nakers without the mosaic
14%
PILLO ATTACK
17%

Total votes: 101

Barkeron

Re: Trying out cover ideas

Post by Barkeron »

I like all three of them. Even though the first option would make a great cover for the book.

The second one would also make a great cover, but the censoring of the neck is questionable.

The third one, maybe you can also but that in the book somewhere.

I vote for the first picture, only for the lulz and people will find it humor in it.
rickgriffin
Site Admin

Post by rickgriffin »

valerio wrote:Perhaps Grape still likes the physical contact, like a regular pet does, and what better occasion than bath day for a good, loving rubbing? :D
Tell that to my dog.
I'm sure the cold hand of science will be able to overcome his magical powers
Dubiousity

Post by Dubiousity »

rickgriffin wrote:
valerio wrote:Perhaps Grape still likes the physical contact, like a regular pet does, and what better occasion than bath day for a good, loving rubbing? :D
Tell that to my dog.
Tell that to mine too.

Ontopic : I like the first one.
Sometimes I wish the world would end in 2012
yoyodude

Post by yoyodude »

I can imagine the first on the front, and the second on the inside of the first cover, just so it isn't out in the open.
Barkeron

Post by Barkeron »

yoyodude wrote:I can imagine the first on the front, and the second on the inside of the first cover, just so it isn't out in the open.

That would be a great idea that Rick can use.
Sketcherofstuff

Post by Sketcherofstuff »

The pictures are still loading on my screen, but I gather from the comments that they are all pretty funny. I would have to say that the title, while funny as a bit of an injoke, seems like it would sound MUCH weirder to someone who is just noticing the book sitting in a store or something. Just sayin.

huh. Well, now that I've actually looked at them, I would definitely go with the second one.
I don't know why everyone is saying that the second one is questionable and the first one isn't. From my point of view the first one seems to imply that they need to be wearing towels lest the book be r rated, while the second is just a joke that most people could get, being that animal's only clothing is their collars.

And the third one looks like more of an actual comic strip rather than a cover.
Daniel Plainview- I DRINK YOUR MILSHAKE!
Sinder wrote: Max can't snort catnip off Grape's chest? :(
Here Comes The Fuzz
Sketcherofstuff

Post by Sketcherofstuff »

Sleet wrote:Wait a minute. If we were to hypothetically see this as a standalone book and not an anthology for already-fans, wouldn't the first cover give away the fact that Grape's a girl, which wasn't known at the start?
Yeah, good point! I never would have remembered that had you not mentioned it. That would be a major give away.

edit

At first I agreed strongly, but now, seeing all of the evidence saying otherwise I have changed my vote to not guilty!

12 angry men.

Yeah.

Daniel Plainview- I DRINK YOUR MILSHAKE!
Sinder wrote: Max can't snort catnip off Grape's chest? :(
Here Comes The Fuzz
Private Elliot

Post by Private Elliot »

The 3rd one made me giggle
2nd made me laugh
1st... i didnt understand really.
Try to go with something cute?
Psykeout

Post by Psykeout »

[quote="Sinder"]2. The "collars" gag is both more risque and comes into play rather late in the strip--so late, in fact, that it's not actually part of the first year (Housepets begins June 2; collar gag and "only now do I feel naked" doesn't happen until June 15 of the next year, meaning that it might not actually make it into the book), so this would be kind of an awkward choice.[quote]
hey june 2 is mah birthday!
bwah bwah
Psykeout

Post by Psykeout »

this makes me think...
donald duck never wears pants, so why does he wear a towel when he comes out of the shower? (this is rehtorical)
bwah bwah
sliceofdog

Post by sliceofdog »

SomebodyYouKnow wrote:The "collars" gag is both more risque and comes into play rather late in the strip--so late, in fact, that it's not actually part of the first year (Housepets begins June 2; collar gag and "only now do I feel naked" doesn't happen until June 15 of the next year, meaning that it might not actually make it into the book), so this would be kind of an awkward choice.
I think it seems to vary from person to person as to which seems more risqué out of the first 2 pics. I really think the second is completely fine. I'd be comfortable with anyone seeing me reading a book with that cover, for example, whereas the first;
From my point of view the first one seems to imply that they need to be wearing towels lest the book be r rated
I completely agree with that. I'm not horribly opposed to it, and I think it's a good picture, but as a front cover I'm surprised it's got as much support as it has. It also perhaps gives the wrong impression of the comic, implying (with the title) that they don't wear clothes and walk around graphically naked, as opposed to the second which shows that their 'clothes' are their collars, and them 'naked' is their necks showing. Nothing rude about that.

Anyhoo, if the collars joke doesn't come into play in the first collection, why is the collection called "Housepets! are Naked All the Time"? (That is a genuine question, I'm not trying to be sarcastic)
That is the first time the 'naked' question comes into play, isn't it? So if the collars joke doesn't appear, all of this should be kept on hold till the second collection, right?
Last edited by sliceofdog on Tue Sep 21, 2010 4:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

The line "we are naked all the time" was spoken by Grape in one of the first comics.
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
Anthroguy101

Though I thought about the more raunchy covers...

Post by Anthroguy101 »

The towels are more aesthetically pleasing and fitting IMO.
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

I don't know any pets in my history except well-trained ones that enjoy a good bath, but Grape could also be forced to take a bath, but just doesn't like Peanut's teasing on the subject, similar to how she thinks he would tease her for crying =P

But then again, she seems to be enjoying the drying afterwards. but what i love the most is how Peanut is all like "There's something odd about the way you're wearing those towels..."
3 words - Liquid Metal Fur
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Most likely how she has one on her head despite having no more fur there than Peanut.
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
Zander

Post by Zander »

I personally love the first one, but like a few others said it gives away that Grape is a girl.
the last is too complicated, and the nakers with the mosaic is too... un-pg.

So i guess the best bet would be the nakers without mosaic.

However i do have an idea for the bonus content...

you should take a picture of yourself, and put it in the book.

I guarantee you that 90% of the people (on the forums) who hear your pictures in there will go and buy it as fast as they can.
Fursona! :3

Don't judge each day by the harvest you reap but by the seeds that you plant.
-Robert Louis Stevenson
Zander

Post by Zander »

I personally love the first one, but like a few others said it gives away that Grape is a girl.
the last is too complicated, and the nakers with the mosaic is too... un-pg.

So i guess the best bet would be the nakers without mosaic.

However i do have an idea for the bonus content...

you should take a picture of yourself, and put it in the book.

I guarantee you that 90% of the people (on the forums) who hear your pictures in there will go and buy it as fast as they can.
Fursona! :3

Don't judge each day by the harvest you reap but by the seeds that you plant.
-Robert Louis Stevenson
Enty

Post by Enty »

I loved the neck mosaic one, actually XD
This is not a signature.
The Game

Post by The Game »

i think the first one is good. The second one made me laugh, but I can't see it as a book cover, and some people just might get offended by it*. the third one made me laugh again, but like most said, it's a little busy for a cover.
The first and third one is a tie for me.

*I don't mean a majority of people would be, but the ones who are would make a big deal of trying to sensor the book. I'd hate to see this book get shot down like that, so no to the second one.
valerio

Post by valerio »

I have consulted my coworker who shares the room with me. She approves the first pic as a cover and the third for the book's rear cover.
Amen.

EDIT - Another coworker, mother of family, shares said choice :D
TheBlackParrot

Post by TheBlackParrot »

I liked the first one best. It seems to fit better than the others, in my opinion.
Liam

Post by Liam »

#2 without mosaic.
"It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends upon his not understanding it." - Upton Sinclair
Wanderer wrote:You don't need a job, you need money.
Macsen

Post by Macsen »

I like "Neck Nakers" for Year Two, since it has the "How come only NOW I feel naked?" joke in it.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Year three: "Everybody get naked!"
ReCreate

Post by ReCreate »

I vote for the first. :P
Don't let others define you, Only you can determine your fate
no longer active, sorry
sonic id furreh!!!

Post by sonic id furreh!!! »

ai'm goin with towels or censer on de neck they were both so funny <3
Hera Ledro

Post by Hera Ledro »

The second and non-mosaicked form of the second are a bit wittier in my opinion (hence those being my casted votes), but I do really like the first one. Still, as cute as it is, I'm going to have to go with the second one and/or the second one sans the neck-censor (neck censor makes it wittier, though).
EvilTwin

Post by EvilTwin »

I voted for the towels but I thought they were all great. I did think that the third was a bit busy for the composition to work well as a cover and the mosaic my not look very good in print color. The second without the mosaic would be great for fans but it may not make much sense to people new to the comic.
May you lead an interesting life.
Ozzy - S5 P7 E4 C3 I10 A8 L5
Ebly

Post by Ebly »

Sleet wrote:Year three: "Everybody get naked!"
hasn't this joke already been made by sinder or liam or you

or someone like that
I was going to make a joke but then I did.
Barkeron

Post by Barkeron »

Ebly wrote:

or someone like that
Actually, King also said that when he was drunk or something. Perhaps this comes to mind,
https://www.housepetscomic.com/2010/06/ ... -out-here/ last panel. xD.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Ebly wrote:

or someone like that
It has been (not by me), but I felt it was a good enough idea to repeat here.
Macsen

Post by Macsen »

Barkeron wrote:
Ebly wrote:

or someone like that
Actually, King also said that when he was drunk or something. Perhaps this comes to mind,
Duh. How do you think we came up with it? The three annual titles are all lines from the comic during the year.
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

Well, given what's been said, one thing i wanted to point out is that the idea of the cover is naked pets of course. but i personally find the idea of towels seems to be the most humorous and cutest of it all. people dry pets off with towels all the time, but in this sense, the pets are drying themselves off. *Gasp*

Grape just makes it even more better.

The idea of no collars would be more symbolic in a sense with one of the story-lines, but i would like the cover to be fresh from the story, show something humorous to the sense that it attracts people to the book for it's humorous subtle references without reflecting a story-arc. also, something tells me it'll keep the skimmers from skimming your book and asking "So where is this towel arc at?" <_< >_>
3 words - Liquid Metal Fur
yoyodude

Post by yoyodude »

Sleet wrote:Wait a minute. If we were to hypothetically see this as a standalone book and not an anthology for already-fans, wouldn't the first cover give away the fact that Grape's a girl, which wasn't known at the start?
Dramatic Irony.

I don't think it spoils anything, it just presents the joke that Peanut DIDN'T know.
mariomarc

Post by mariomarc »

yoyodude wrote:
Dramatic Irony.

I don't think it spoils anything, it just presents the joke that Peanut DIDN'T know.
actually i also didn't realize she was a girl until she said so
Challenger01

Post by Challenger01 »

I enjoyed the first one, I'm thinking the second one should inside (simply because it could send the wrong message. And the third one is one for the concept art for me.
I'm going to go to a Furry Convention wearing a shirt that says "I'm a Furry. All I do I Pawrty" Please tell me you get that joke.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

mariomarc wrote:
yoyodude wrote:
Dramatic Irony.

Ditto.
xhunterko

Post by xhunterko »

I liked the first one the best. Cause it seems like peanuts going, 'uh, dude, why you wearing your towels like that?'

Off topic bit:
Honestly? never mind, I should stop going so much off topic. And don't ask.
Ebly

Post by Ebly »

Barkeron wrote:
Ebly wrote:

or someone like that
i didn't mean the quote, i know where the quote comes from, i kind of read the comic after all (i know, you're shocked)

it's just that someone has already pointed out that there has been at least one naked joke per year: "we are naked all the time!" -> "how come only now i feel naked?" -> "everybody get naked!"

who was it that pointed that out anyway? it kind of seems like a sinder thing, but I wouldn't put it past liam . . .
I was going to make a joke but then I did.
yoyodude

Post by yoyodude »

mariomarc wrote:
yoyodude wrote:
Dramatic Irony.

I mostly meant for new readers. The towel placement would make it obvious for them, but when Grape mentions it it would be funny because "Wait, Peanut DIDN'T know?"