Metaphysics and you

Discuss the comic here
Indagare

Metaphysics and you

Post by Indagare »

1) I keep seeing people wondering what rule or rules Pete has been breaking. The answer is none. Spirit Dragon specifically says that Pete is abusing the rules.

There's a very big difference between abusing a rule and breaking one.

Breaking the rules would mean that Pete is ignoring them completely or deliberately defying them.

Abusing the rules means that Pete is still following the rules but is using loopholes or unclear areas or similar to abuse them (sort of like a person that tries to develop a 'Locate City Bomb’ or Munchkins).

So the question becomes instead, "Which rule(s) is Pete abusing?" My theory on this is that he's most likely abusing a rule regarding how much can actually be done to one of the denizens of a given universe. He may also be abusing a rule regarding avatars.

2) People keep wondering about the reality or unreality of the Housepets! universe. I think King's very presence at the cosmic table is proof that those living in the Housepets! universe are living, breathing beings.

The fact is that U&U is simply a more cosmic version of D&D. When people play D&D (or any other rpg) they create a character for that game and imagine the setting and non-player characters (npc), and everything else. In U&U cosmic entities pick a universe and create an avatar and walk around in the setting, using that avatar as a player would use a player character (in other words U&U is a lot more similar to live action role playing [LARPing]).

In the case of the Spirit Dragon and Tarot it would be no different than if a D&D player's character met with (and fell in love with) a npc. Peanut will most likely never know (or guess) the true nature of Tarot. They could live together, have puppies, and--eventually--die (though, in the case of Spirit Dragon, she would continue after her avatar has expired).

I imagine that the universes go on their merry ways even when no one is playing U&U in them, just as the characters in a story would be completely unaware of the fact that they only do things as long as there's an author for the stories.

3) If you really want to get a better idea of what's going on, please read Flatland: A Romance of Many Dimensions by Edwin Abbott Abbott.
Image"Remember kids, only you can prevent a fiery apocalypse!"
PhoenixAsper

Re: Metaphysics and you

Post by PhoenixAsper »

Good exposition! :)

If you are right about which rules Pete is abusing, the question then becomes: what actions, if any, will be taken in response?
Barkeron

Post by Barkeron »

PhoenixAsper wrote:
If you are right about which rules Pete is abusing, the question then becomes: what actions, if any, will be taken in response?
That's a good question here. I guessing we will have to wait unlit tomorrow to see the answer.
Obbl
Smiley McSmiles

Post by Obbl »

Yay! Sense has been spoken!
Thank you for posting this, it makes things very clear :D
chess123mate

Post by chess123mate »

Nice post. Do not that the U&U is still metaphorical, but I agree with your metaphorical explanation :)

I'm still unhappy about the idea that Tarot is the spirit-dragon, but obviously this will come clear in one of the next comics :)