17th Century Fox - OOC

Put down the character sheets and walk away!

Moderators: CyberDragon, Serence Frostbite

Serence Frostbite
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!

Re: 17th Century Fox - OOC

Post by Serence Frostbite »

MrNeonShot wrote: From what I've seen so far, Ariel and Ben are the only pets who have considered the possibility of the rats being food. Everyone else made friends with them :b
*random ominous chuckle*
Hlaoroo
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!

Post by Hlaoroo »

There are other pets aboard aside from the players, you know. ;) Just not all that many. And back when the RP started we did have a few pets that liked to eat the rats when they caught them, including a monkey.
Frostwood Forever! <3

My RP Characters

Avatar drawn by the amazing ScruffKerfluff!

MrNeonShot

Post by MrNeonShot »

Okay, so where is the singing coming from? I tried googling what a brig was, but all I got was just a ship.
This user is probably dead here. You can find me on Skype by the same username to see if I'm not actually dead.
Hlaoroo
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!

Post by Hlaoroo »

The brig is the prison on the ship. They've locked the mutinous crew in there. The brig would be at the front of the ship so the prisoners got as much of the motion as possible. It's also below-decks.

Although now that i think about it, weren't we marooning the crew? Was that going to be before or after Castillo Pato, anyone remember?
Frostwood Forever! <3

My RP Characters

Argent

Post by Argent »

I can't imagine them being kept on board all the way to Castillo Pato. That would raise questions.
Cinnamon "Sixtoes" Walton (M Pine Marten #B06060) @
Pitchpipe (F Jackrabbit #808060) @
Hlaoroo
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!

Post by Hlaoroo »

They were going to maroon the crew on that island though, weren't they? They couldn't make it there without the repairs after the battle though. Or am I remembering it wrong? Weren't they going to resupply and restock at Castillo Pato and then drop the crew at that island while they went on James' treasure hunt?

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong though.
Frostwood Forever! <3

My RP Characters

Hotep the psychic

Post by Hotep the psychic »

James made a deal with Algarve earlier before Castillo that the crew would stay onboard through the treasure hunt. If James was lying himself and the crew would be marooned on an island with no supplies. After Castillo pair James would be free to use the crew to get through the hunt under watch of course by the captain's crew and himself.
ImageImageImage
DRAGON EGGS!!! Click them!
Serence Frostbite
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!

wait a minute , I just realized Pinch's been kidnapped , or captured , whatever , does this mean the rats could be going on a rescue mission or something ? :P
Hotep the psychic

not spoiling anything. im just adding something to all of this for the rats side of the RP
ImageImageImage
Serence Frostbite
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!

ah I see , makes sense ^^ , I'll just wait and see where this goes then :P
LovingCorgi

Post by LovingCorgi »

So who all is in town and not on the ship?
Serence Frostbite
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!

well I know tackle , Rocea and Pepito aren't , last I check Roarin's character isn't either , but that's all I got , seems like the crew is moving back to the ship
Hlaoroo
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!

Post by Hlaoroo »

Hotep the psychic wrote:not spoiling anything. im just adding something to all of this for the rats side of the RP
Could you send me a message so I know what you're planning please?
LovingCorgi wrote:So who all is in town and not on the ship?
Serence is right. Blacks and Dune weren't but I think they've just returned. I'm not sure where Jin went to after the chaos he caused. He's probably hiding out somewhere. :P
Frostwood Forever! <3

My RP Characters

MrNeonShot

Post by MrNeonShot »

I've decided to re-submit Ariel's character because the personality is a bit weird from the way I've been playing him. Here it is!
*This is a new submitted sheet. The old one can't be editted until I get to a compy.
MrNeonShot wrote:Name: Ariel (Enter name of captain and/or ship)
color: #00BFFF

Specie: White Lion

Appearance: Ariel is a male white lion with black ear tips, a black nose, and a black tail tip. He has pink paw pads, and his inner ear is pink. His eyes are blue. He wears a posh red and yellow jacket his "father" (or captain) gave him.

Personality: Ariel is a natural born leader and very caring inwardly. Outwardly, he's polite to anyone, but seems cold and uncaring during conflict. If a friend or crewman is in trouble, he will try talking to the problem unless ordered to otherwise. But he isn't afraid of beating the problem to a pulp, setting it on fire, or straight up shooting it. (He won't resort to violence unless forced to). He'll also do whatever his captain says, even if it is to "take care" of a crewman.

Dislikes: Meat (but he will eat it), murder, horribly played music.

Backstory: Ariel was a young lion that had been born on the sea. During a bad storm, Ariel was forced to jump off the ship so that he might have a slim chance of surviving (which he did). Some people say he swam to France, others say he used the wreckage from the destroyed ship to hold himself up. Both stories are true.

After being found on shore of France, the white lion was sold to the highest bidder for his fur. Fortunately, a captain of a not-so-legal trade business purchased him as his eye candy, pet, interrogation tool, and sometimes weapon.

Fast forward to 15 years later.
Ariel has been a very effective tool for his owner who had in this time become the most a very popular "business man" of the seat. While he did normal cargo and moving jobs, his underground business was booming. That is until his love for gambling took that away. Captains and people alike heard about his addiction and didn't want to put their property into his hands for fear he would lose it in one of his gambling raids.
Now, Its gotten so bad that he's gambled away his ship, his cargo, and his very own pet to try and get it all back. He failed miserably, and Ariel has been sent to a new master, The captain of the Impudence (alongside Eduardo-- er, sir.)

Other Notes: -Ariel didn't get along with pets onboard the ship because they insulted him about his feminine name (Ariel). When he couldn't do anything about them, he'd take it out in his interrogation by being extra thorough in his tactics. He doesn't have that problem anymore, but back in the day, no suspect would dare lie to him while he was angry.

-Ariel knows many ways of making someone talk, and isn't afraid to cause someone unbearable amounts of pain to get the information he needs.

-Can also kill quickly or slowly in many ways.

-Is ashamed and haunted by what he does after his interrogations or after he's killed because he dislikes causing needless harm to something or someone if he knows he can avoid it.

Stats: S5 P4 E10 C5 I6 A8 L4
I'm actually not sure if I already re-submitted this, but here it is anyway.
This user is probably dead here. You can find me on Skype by the same username to see if I'm not actually dead.
Hlaoroo
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!

Post by Hlaoroo »

I don't think you did resubmit it since I approved it.
So...
Reapproved!

What did you change in it though? It looks pretty similar to me.
Frostwood Forever! <3

My RP Characters

Serence Frostbite
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!

really ? I on the other paw remember it being different , so the changes are there , I just can't quite point it out :P
MrNeonShot

Post by MrNeonShot »

I changed his personality to match the way he's been acting IC. It used to say he was a natural born leader that was kind and caring. Now, he's got a more complicated personality. His backstory used to be that he had parents in France, but we changed it to the captain. I made that one more detailed, though. I'm also planning on re-drawing Ariel because the last one was really basic.
Hlaoroo
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!

Post by Hlaoroo »

I see. Cool.

What you've done must work since it fit so seamlessly with him that I didn't notice the change. ;)
Frostwood Forever! <3

My RP Characters

MrNeonShot

Post by MrNeonShot »

Since this is supposed to be realistic, and I think I read in the first posts that pets who were useless or those that comitted crimes against the captain were to be marooned, I think that my latest post was an appropriate threat for Tikki. If I'm wrong, I can change it.

Also: I'm not personally singling out Tikki, but pulling a gun on a crew member is a bit insubordinate, and I can't imagine Ariel or anyone else being okay with it, so... No offense is meant and whatnot
LovingCorgi

Post by LovingCorgi »

tis fine. Tiki didn't know Ariels position on the ship anyway. though if pirates of the caribean taught me anything pulling guns on the captain is insubordination, nd other crewmates is ok as long as yo don't pull the trigger.
XD
Hotep the psychic

And dont forget about the rum and the jar of dirt.
ImageImageImage
Serence Frostbite
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!

Hotep the psychic wrote:And dont forget about the rum and the jar of dirt.
I got a jar of dirt , I got a jar of diiirt , and guess what is inside it ? :lol:
LovingCorgi

Post by LovingCorgi »

Dirt..... :/ :D
Hotep the psychic

actually it was supposed to have davy jones's heart but it failed in the end. :ugeek:
ImageImageImage
LovingCorgi

Post by LovingCorgi »

Yea I know. I answered correctly :3
Argent

Post by Argent »

How does Ariel being king of the beasts work, when the pets are mostly personal property of individual crew members?
MrNeonShot

Post by MrNeonShot »

Do the owners tell the pets what to do on board or does the captain?
LovingCorgi

Post by LovingCorgi »

Yeah Tiki listens to jake, his owner, more than he does the captain. Partly because he doesn't talk with the captain. Tiki gets his orders from jake, the guy who sits in the crows nest, and the ocassional Eduardo whenever he runs into him. So no offense but Tiki no matter how much you threaten him wouldn't cave in and be ordered around by anyone other than Jake, eduardo, or the captain. Threats don't work.

But Yea I thought that when this RP was first established it was based on the fact that the crew members had pets and as long as the pets pulled their own weight it was ok for them to stay. That or I'm just crazy.
MrNeonShot

Post by MrNeonShot »

Ariel isn't trying to threaten Tikki to stay in line. He's warning him about what he's going to do if the captain rejects the rats.

The thing is, the captain gives the orders to Jake and every owner on ship, who then gives them to Tikki and all the other individual pet. Having Ariel as cabinpet eliminates the captain having to find the owners, whereas he could just tell Ariel to give the pets the orders.

Another last reason is that Ariel is responsible for the pets, so if they do something, say, mutiny, then Ariel will be punished for not controlling the situation.
LovingCorgi

Post by LovingCorgi »

Tis makes sense. I'd really like Tiki to be friends with Ariel though. So I guess he'll listen to him ...partly...or atleast until their views towards each other improve....but just a urious thought what would happen if Tiki acidently mentions the fact that his name sounds like a girls name.
Argent

Post by Argent »

Ariel didn't sound like a girl's name prior to 1989.

It has been a fairly common Christian name for males. It certainly wouldn't have been thought of as a female name in 1625. Shakespeare's play "The Tempest" was published in 1610, with the character Ariel - a male spirit. Ariel could be named after him, or simply as a pun on its meaning (the lion of god). The female form would be Arielle or Ariela.
MrNeonShot

Post by MrNeonShot »

Argent wrote:Ariel didn't sound like a girl's name prior to 1989.

It has been a fairly common Christian name for males. It certainly wouldn't have been thought of as a female name in 1625. Shakespeare's play "The Tempest" was published in 1610, with the character Ariel - a male spirit. Ariel could be named after him, or simply as a pun on its meaning (the lion of god). The female form would be Arielle or Ariela.
I did not know that... oh well, the more you know ^^
LovingCorgi wrote:This makes sense. I'd really like Tiki to be friends with Ariel though. So I guess he'll listen to him ...partly...or at least until their views towards each other improve....but just a curious thought what would happen if Tiki accidentally mentions the fact that his name sounds like a girls name.
Ariel isn't one to hold a grudge. The only reason he is warning Tiki is because he seems like a danger to the crew with his pulling a gun out at the 2 new beasts.
Argent

Post by Argent »

I think you're giving the pets more status on the ship than they really have. The Impudence is undermanned, which is the only reason pets have formal duties at all... and even then Blacks is kind of an exception because James has him trained to work on the gun deck with him (at least that's how the captain sees it -- sorry, Blacks, you're a dancing bear). Animals aren't considered to have the kind of agency that would put them in the human chain of command. Remember, this is 400 years ago, in a part of the world where even in the "housepets" present time animals are property and not citizens.
MrNeonShot

Post by MrNeonShot »

While it is true that pets are considered property, the way these pets act as if they are actual pets who just happen to have jobs. Ariel is the only one who understands that he's property, and he is the only pet who's pelt might actually be worth more than the ship itself, so he has to be extremely careful.
Hotep the psychic

*rolls in on a cannonball* at least my name is not bonzo Argent. *rolls away* 8-)
ImageImageImage
Hlaoroo
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!

Post by Hlaoroo »

Although the pets are considered property, whether or not they consider themselves property by dint of the work they do for their owners is debatable.

Ariel needs to remember also that although he's cabin pet, his authority comes from the captain, so he can't really tell the other pets what to do unless the captain gives him a direct order to do so. By putting Ariel in charge of the pets, Palgrave meant that he wanted him to keeping an eye on them and report to him rather than actually ordering them about willy-nilly. He might need to clarify that to Ariel at some point.

He wouldn't maroon Tiki for not chasing the rats, I don't think, since Tiki is still useful to him in other ways. He might punish him in some other way though.
Frostwood Forever! <3

My RP Characters

Argent

Post by Argent »

Animals having weapons of their own would probably be a radical idea for Europe in this time period... making Gifford Palgrave a flaming liberal by the standards of the day for not going ballistic at the idea. No wonder Ariel is confused.
LovingCorgi

Post by LovingCorgi »

I don't know about you guys but I think pets with weapon make sense on a pirate ship since well un you know they already are rebels of modern society and such. So while land pets that sail or live like normal pets wouldn't have weapons. Pirate pets would.

Oh one last thing cause I'm confused. Where is everyone. I don't mean to be a stickler but blacks is nearby tiki last I checked like right next to him. Sorry I'm just severely confused.
MrNeonShot

Post by MrNeonShot »

After Ariel was told to leave and do his other task, he went to go find other rats to pass the time until he could tell the other rats the good news.
But, on his way, he ran into your characters arguing. Now he's trying to comfort Tiki.
Hotep the psychic

blacks is still nearby, as i put in my latest post.
ImageImageImage