Pokemon related RP, co-GM wanted

Put down the character sheets and walk away!

Moderators: CyberDragon, Serence Frostbite

Gameb18oy
Game Master

Pokemon related RP, co-GM wanted

Post by Gameb18oy »

Was wanting to start up a Pokémon related RP based on one of the spinoff universes (Colosseum/Shadow Pokemon games, mystery dungeon, or ranger for example) but I don’t have any experience running one of these, so after speaking with a certain Australian about the idea, he suggested I setup something here asking if anyone would like to help me with that. Send me a PM if interested, I’ll be happy to hear from you
Gameb18oy
Game Master

Re: Pokemon related RP, co-GM wanted

Post by Gameb18oy »

Just realized I probably should have added this part in. If you have any questions before you want to consider sending me a message about possibly being a co-GM with me, feel free to ask them here or through a PM, I’ll try and respond quickly to either
CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

I suppose it depends on the details of the RP. Do you have a full description you can show?
"It's not my job to seek the truth.
It's not my job to pick a side.
It's not my job to judge your sins.
It's my job to save your life."
-Champion Motto

Game Master for Beacon of Hope. The one and only superhero RP! Join here!
Gameb18oy
Game Master

Post by Gameb18oy »

I wasn’t sure if anyone would even be interested considering the original pokepals got abandoned overtime, so I’ve only come up with some basic ideas and figured I’d work on developing further whichever one gets the best response, though I did notice a comment saying something along the lines of people not liking being forced to fight other Pokémon by their trainers. Keep in mind, I’m submitting these ideas under the assumption you know the basic idea of game mechanics and/or their stories.
The mystery dungeon one I figured would be similar to the game, form a team take missions, occasionally find out something that’s messing up the world that often connects to the legendaries. Did think it be nice to give it a unique interesting shared goal in the sense that at first there wouldn’t be an established town for them to all meet at, so people who join that RP could also take on jobs building and improving their own version of treasure town or something like that.
Rangers would probably end up the most like Pokepals considering how I figure it would work. Rangers would be assigned to certain areas finding the players in the wild (or at a base if you want to pick to go there yourself) get captured by the capture stylus, and device if you’re gonna become their partner Pokémon or not. There’d be missions spread around to keep both humans and Pokémon safe, as well as relaxing times where the groups could study the environment, make sure little things don’t become big problems over time.
The colosseum/shadow comes with an idea that would prove interesting, but it’s personally the one I’m betting the least amount of people will want to do. Considering Pokémon are able to be more independent in these RPs compared to in the game, what if some Pokémon willingly have their hearts closed off in exchange for power. Basically, the game would allow you to play a villain is what I’m thinking it would work like, but perhaps there are people who could think up a twist on that.
I don’t have a lot of experience with setting things up, so forgive me on these being very general setups right now, that’s part of why I’m needing a co-GM. I’ll gladly work on adding some more details to the world if I find people want one of these RPs.
CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

I wouldn't mind helping out with the mystery dungeon idea. I'll pm you when I get back to my computer.
-Champion Motto

Gameb18oy
Game Master

Post by Gameb18oy »

CyberDragon wrote:I wouldn't mind helping out with the mystery dungeon idea. I'll pm you when I get back to my computer.
Yeah!!!!
Legotron123

Post by Legotron123 »

I don’t know if I’ll be able to join this (my job can get so busy that I barely have time to post in ONE rp) but if you need any story or character ideas, I’d be happy to help with that. Send me a pm if you’re interested and I’ll get back to you after my work.
Play The Hayseed Knight. This isn’t self promotion, I just really like the game.

You ever realize that the two longest pieces of literature in existence are both fanfics? Weird right?
GrimD@rk8290

Post by GrimD@rk8290 »

I have extensive exeprience roleplaying pokemon mystery dungeon and would love to co-gm some
ideas with you.
Sunny Briggs -Golden Labrador Retriever- S3 P5 E7 C6 I3 A8 L10
Luna Briggs - Blue Russian Cat- S8 P6 E6 C6 I7 A5 L4
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

well, if you don't mind a shiny (burgundy suits that design better than indigo) Liepard in the group, i'd join. As a player, not a gm.

Also, since trying to apply the Special system, like every other rp on this forum does, to pokemon would be clunky, you can use http://www.psypokes.com/dex/stats.php to calculate what the stats of a given pokemon of a given level and nature would be, and https://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/ to bring up their movelist and other info. and if you need a template for sheets, why not something like this?
[This has been updated, look further down the page]
Last edited by Buster on Mon Oct 08, 2018 3:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Most important thing I've learned from D&D?
No matter how tempting it may be, as a DM I can't both present a problem and solve it.
Every time a DMPC or NPC fixes something a payer couldn't i'm diminishing and undermining that player's contribution.
Gameb18oy
Game Master

Post by Gameb18oy »

This looks fairly nice, though be prepped to change some stuff, as this isn’t bound by the game’s rules, some elements are gonna be changed so it works better in RP. Can’t wait to find out the backstory and personality of your liepard
Gameb18oy
Game Master

Post by Gameb18oy »

Buster wrote:well, if you don't mind a shiny (burgundy suits that design better than indigo) Liepard in the group, i'd join. As a player, not a gm.

Also, since trying to apply the Special system, like every other rp on this forum does, to pokemon would be clunky, you can use http://www.psypokes.com/dex/stats.php to calculate what the stats of a given pokemon of a given level and nature would be, and https://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/ to bring up their movelist and other info. and if you need a template for sheets, why not something like this?
Name: Baja
Trainer: Buster
Species: Liepard
Coloring: Shiny
Nature: Impish
-------------
Notes:
(this is where everything else goes)
-------------
Lvl 18

Scratch - Normal
Growl - Normal
Fury Swipes - Normal
Pursuit - Dark

HP 56
Atk 42
Def 30
S. Atk 37
S. Def 28
Spd 48
Oh, this is a sheet for the pokepals RP right? I think I should bring up we’re planning to set this in the mystery dungeon universe, so no trainers are needed
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

meant that more as a cheeky way of listing the player controlling her (ie: ME) bit i can change it if you want.
No matter how tempting it may be, as a DM I can't both present a problem and solve it.
Every time a DMPC or NPC fixes something a payer couldn't i'm diminishing and undermining that player's contribution.
Gameb18oy
Game Master

Post by Gameb18oy »

Oh, that’s fine then.
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

also, i've only actually played the main-series games up to gen 3, (even then i was playing saphire on an emulator to see if it was worth getting, i never finished or owned it, so technically gen 2) and never played any of the spin offs other than Snap!. so my knowledge is limited.
CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

That's OK. We're setting it up to be closer in style to other RPs on the server. We're giving it a bit more natural and immersive feel that you shouldn't really need to be an expert at the games to enjoy.
-Champion Motto

Gameb18oy
Game Master

Post by Gameb18oy »

Mostly, it’s just a world where humans don’t happen to be present in and Pokémon can actually talk. They also kinda live in an old-timey world, in contrast to Pokemon’s Low key distant future setting. Like Cyber said though, you don’t need knowledge of the games to enjoy it
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

Oh! so it's like Chocobo games! okay.
Legotron123

Post by Legotron123 »

Though the low tech setting is contrasted by the fact that you can still find TMs just lying about, and Pokémon like Genesect somehow exist without being revived and modified by humans.
Play The Hayseed Knight. This isn’t self promotion, I just really like the game.

You ever realize that the two longest pieces of literature in existence are both fanfics? Weird right?
Gameb18oy
Game Master

Post by Gameb18oy »

Odd comparison to say the least, but gameplay wise yes, that’s the case. Most fans of them though focus more on their stories which are some of the best in RPGs in general, not just Pokémon.
Gameb18oy
Game Master

Post by Gameb18oy »

Legotron123 wrote:Though the low tech setting is contrasted by the fact that you can still find TMs just lying about, and Pokémon like Genesect somehow exist without being revived and modified by humans.
Meh, details details, there’s a reason they started to imply the games are set in an AU
CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

I should bring up that we talked about making the rules of the universe a bit more like the anime since all of the stats and PP and which moves you know vs which moves you've forgotten would get very complicated to keep track of. It works well for a video game where a computer keeps track of everything, but as I know from some of my boss fights in BoH is very difficult and time consuming to keep track of in an RP setting.

Some differences, rules that are taken from the anime's setting, include the following:
You can learn more than four moves. Learning a new move might take training, but you do not need to forget a different move to learn it.
Power Points for moves don't exist per say, but more powerful moves should still cause a physical or mental drain to prevent overuse.

Basically we're trying to make it feel a bit more natural for RP players. I think there are still a few things to discuss and work out with Gameb18oy.

For example, are we doing TMs like the games? Or are we doing something more along the lines of training to learn new skills gradually like the anime?
-Champion Motto

Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

well, the purpose of those things was to teach a move that they wouldn't normally learn on their own, so maybe a substitute could be a mentor/student type side activity?
CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

I like that idea. What do you think, Gameb18oy?
-Champion Motto

Gameb18oy
Game Master

Post by Gameb18oy »

Considering the point on how TM’s seem out of place made by Lego, I think we’ll exchange them for written manuals in this version, should we call them TTs, both for some laughs and because it could stand for technical tutor?
Gameb18oy
Game Master

Post by Gameb18oy »

The Mentor/student idea is also good
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

okay, reworked it to correct for you guys not using the four move limit. also fixed the fact that i failed to realize that her minimum level should be 20, since thats when her breed evolve. I'll add the stats back in once you guys tell me how that's going to work, sheet wise.

Also i gave her a mixed species family for the sake being able to play with the contrast between her and her sister. she has a personality now!
Name: Baja
Species: Liepard
Coloring: Shiny

-------------
Nature: Impish
Characteristic: Impetuous and silly
Notes: A spitting image of her mother save for having a lighter, more redish coat, Baja is setting out on her own in search of fun... acompanied by her party-pooper of a little sister...
her goal in life is to start a prank war so epic it winds up in a legitimate history book.

"This, is going to be... AWESOME!"
-------------
Lvl 20

Special Ability: Limber
Hidden Ability: Prankster

Basic Moves:
Scratch - Normal
Growl - Normal
Assist - Normal
Sand Attack - Ground
Fury Swipes - Normal
Pursuit - Dark
Torment - Dark

Inherited:
Feint Attack - Dark
Charm - Fairy
Slash - Normal

TM/HM:
None
Name: Rose
Species: Glameow
Coloring: Basic

-------------
Nature: Serious
Characteristic: Highly persistent
Notes: Taking far more after their father in coloration, breed, and temperment, and despite being the younger of the two sisters, she's also far calmer.
Tagging along to keep Baja out of too much trouble and frequently exasperated by her antics, Rose just wants her big sister to stop making such a mess...
she's also learned more of their parent's moves because she actually pays attention...

"Ugh... Did you egg get cracked before it hatched or something? what is wrong with you?!"
-------------
Lvl 13

Special Ability: Own Tempo
Hidden Ability: (Hasn't been unlocked)

Basic Moves:
Fake Out - Normal
Scratch - Normal
Growl - Normal
Hypnosis - Psychic

Inherited:
Assurance - Dark
Sand Attack - Ground
Fury Swipes - Normal
Assist - Normal
Slash - Normal

TM/HM:
None
Leafolawl

Post by Leafolawl »

As a massive fan of the Pokemon Mystery Dungeon games, I would be more than down to get in on this. Having all four of the U.S. released games, I can chip in for ideas to keep in line with the series' general theme, save some differences for the sake of a multi-player narrative.

Player or Co-GM if you don't have one already. I am ready to cast in my chips.
Love me right now! Done.
SoujiTheFox wrote:(9:36:35 PM) Steve: THE CHRIST AM I NAMED STEVE FOR
Why do I still find this funny?
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

what would you be playing as?
CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

Awesome! We have the interest to get started. Grim, Gameboy and I need to finalize a few more details. Then we'll write up a proper description.
-Champion Motto

Leafolawl

Post by Leafolawl »

That depends entirely where I'm sitting, and what the general expectation is. If we're being asked to do a team on our own of capable to particularly capable skill, then I should work it as around level 25-30, and that can have impact on the personality. I'd rather not tie myself down with that until I know what's being asked.
Love me right now! Done.
SoujiTheFox wrote:(9:36:35 PM) Steve: THE CHRIST AM I NAMED STEVE FOR
Why do I still find this funny?
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

any progress?
CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

Still ironing things out. I hope to at least get started on the description today, but I've got a lot of things that need my attention right now.
-Champion Motto

CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

Sorry for the double post, but this is what the character sheets will look like:
Character Name: Guildmaster Hagane

Color: Blue

Type: NPC

Species: Lucario

RP: Pokemon

Appearance: Guildmaster Hagane is a Lucario of basic coloration with a couple of notable differences. While most Lucario have black on their faces and hands, Hagane also has black ears and arms. The spikes on the Guildmaster’s hands are worn and dulled slightly from his years of fighting with his rather intense and high impact fighting style.

Personality: Serious. Hagane is very much no-nonsense when it comes to his leadership and lifestyle. He is actively involved in guild affairs. While he wants guild members to enjoy their work, unlike most guildmasters he puts a great deal of emphasis on duty and responsibility rather than fun. When fighting, Hagane is highly aggressive, striking first and striking hard with such moves as Extreme Speed, Aura Sphere, and Bullet Punch.

Other notes: Hagane unusual coloration and additional moves have to do with his father being a Pangoro. He and his former teammates lead the guild with fairly equal authority, but his authoritative and active approach to leadership lead to him being given the title of Guildmaster. Hagane wears a pendent around his neck that his mother gave him when he evolved. The pendent is fitted with round orange stone with a red and blue swirl running through it.

Ability: Inner Focus (He will always remain focused, never flinching in battle, never distracted when working.)

Special Moves: (moves that result from breeding and non-natural moves learned in-game)
Bullet Punch
Circle Throw
Crunch
Sky Uppercut

Dynamic stats (use this to calculate -> http://www.psypokes.com/dex/stats.php, changes with experience):
Level: 70 (PCs start no higher than 30)
HP: 199
Attack: 256
Defense: 176
Special Attack: 266
Special Defense: 176
Speed: 216

Static stats (24 points):
Perception: 8
Charisma: 5
Intelligence: 6
Luck: 5
-Champion Motto

Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

when generating stats, are we allowed to randomize/customize the DV & EV values, and if so what are the constraints, or do we just leave them at the stat generator's default (Ie: Max DV and 0 EV)?
CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

I just used the default. I don't think we're taking ev training into account, but you should ask Gameboy to be sure.
-Champion Motto

Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

default works fine, i was just curious since from what i've read, in the actual games DV scores (or IV? the terminology seems to flipflop) seem to be random generated when a Pokemon is spawned/bred.
Gameb18oy
Game Master

Post by Gameb18oy »

Buster wrote:when generating stats, are we allowed to randomize/customize the DV & EV values, and if so what are the constraints, or do we just leave them at the stat generator's default (Ie: Max DV and 0 EV)?
As Cyborg said, just use the default for this, were not planning on making the stat stuff too complex as we want to focus on storytelling elements more anyway.
Hlaoroo
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!

Post by Hlaoroo »

Since this RP has been started, I think this thread has served its purpose. Further discussion can happen in its OOC. ^^

[Thread locked]
Frostwood Forever! <3

My RP Characters

Avatar drawn by the amazing ScruffKerfluff!