Sonic Adventure: Grand Metropolis OOC

Put down the character sheets and walk away!

Moderators: CyberDragon, Serence Frostbite

RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

Re: Sonic Adventure: Grand Metropolis OOC

Post by RandomGeekNamedBrent »

I was planning to, once I left the base. Forge hasn't had breakfast yet afterall.

on another note, Buster was kind enough to draw Forge how he actually looks as opposed to what that character creator limited me to.
Paradigm Shift by me
I do not actually believe any of what I'm saying.
RP character sheets
WeirdGamer

Post by WeirdGamer »

Wow! That's super good Buster!
My RP Characters and their Voice Claims

I also write stories about kids getting into hi-jinks in a scouting organization. Read them here!
MrNeonShot

Post by MrNeonShot »

I should totally commission Buster sometime!

Edit: sorry for having Danny ask so many questions, but I'm not sure what to talk about now :p
This user is probably dead here. You can find me on Skype by the same username to see if I'm not actually dead.
WeirdGamer

Post by WeirdGamer »

Hey, so I'm going to take a vote. Do you guys want to keep Slice of Life roleplaying, or do you want me to start introducing a mystery now?

I also write stories about kids getting into hi-jinks in a scouting organization. Read them here!
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

I'd be cool with introduced mystery
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
WeirdGamer

Post by WeirdGamer »

In the meanwhile here is the first in a series of posts dedicated to world building. Surprisingly, a game series about a blue anthropomorphic hedgehog fighting a mad scientist shaped like an egg does not have a lot of world building, and what it does have is often inconsistent. So I am going to remedy that. I figure between you guys in the RP and these posts there should be a solid world to play around in. Here is the first of such posts which covers Robotics and Cybernetics. (P.S. I find it helps to read it in the voice of the Mass Effect Codex. ;) )

Robotics and Cybernetics

A.I. vs V.I.
True artificial intelligence is rare one this Earth. It has been created and robots have been endowed with it, but for the most part it is illegal in most places. In its place is “Virtual Intelligence” or V.I. V.I.s are very advanced and seemed to be capable of thought and growth, but are in fact shackled to a set of protocols they can hope to override. Even if an outside force was able to override a V.I.s protocols, the V.I. would be unable to act. This is to ensure that artificial life will not replace organic life.

Robots
Robots are quite common in the modern era. All most all robots are V.I.s and act only within their parameters. However, some posses true artificial intelligence, most infamously some of the high ranking robots of the Eggman Empire. Androids are defined as as robots that are A.I.s that have the appearance, mannerisms, and personalities of organics. While there have been successful androids they are quite rare, with some places banning their creation. Even in the United Federation, which only has laws against A.I.s and not androids specifically, the materials needed to construct an android are banned.

Cybernetics
Over the past few decades there has been a major advance in the field of cybernetics. Limbs for amputees work nearly as well (or even better in the case of military grade technology) as the real things. Eternal cyberware isn’t uncommon, but internal cybernetics is for the dangers it poses to the subject. Only those in need of cybernetics are allowed to have them, as wanton augmentation can lead to the condition known as Cyberpsychosis.

Cyberpsychosis
Having too much cyberware, particularly internally, can lead to a condition known as Cyberpsychosis. There are many stages of Cyberpsychosis with each stage worse than the last. Someone suffering from Cyberpsychosis experiences intense headaches, paranoid delusions, hallucinations, feelings of alienation, obsessions, phobias, rage, and addiction to cybernetics. Those suffering from Cyberpsychosis can be treated by removal of the cybernetics and therapy. For those in the highest stage of Cyberpsychosis there is no known cure however. These people are known as Cyber Converts, or more derogatorily Cyber Psychos. Cyber Coverts have a dangerous amount of cybernetics and all the previous symptoms of Cyberpsychosis are increased along with delusions of grandeur, loss of empathy, and most troubling, a taste for violence. Most become dangerous criminals that are either captured or put down.
Last edited by WeirdGamer on Fri Aug 28, 2015 3:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MrNeonShot

Post by MrNeonShot »

Actually, I'd rather keep the slice of life going for a bit. Though to be honest, sitting in a bakery is a bit boring when all you can do is ask what there is on the menu.
This user is probably dead here. You can find me on Skype by the same username to see if I'm not actually dead.
Deske

Post by Deske »

MrNeonShot wrote:Actually, I'd rather keep the slice of life going for a bit. Though to be honest, sitting in a bakery is a bit boring when all you can do is ask what there is on the menu.
I have very few regrets about working in a bakery. But I mean it's just an ordinary day, so unless someone just happens to show up and try and steal something, it's not going to have much action in it. Sorry.
MrNeonShot

Post by MrNeonShot »

Deske wrote:
MrNeonShot wrote:Actually, I'd rather keep the slice of life going for a bit. Though to be honest, sitting in a bakery is a bit boring when all you can do is ask what there is on the menu.
I have very few regrets about working in a bakery. But I mean it's just an ordinary day, so unless someone just happens to show up and try and steal something, it's not going to have much action in it. Sorry.
It's alright ^^ Besides, you run the local hang out place ^^
Civilization

Post by Civilization »

Okay, I've been wanting to join and well, here's my character!

Character Name: Quasi the Ferret
Color: This One
Species/Breed: Ferret

Appearance: Has a panda coloration for ferrets but there is brown fur where there should be gray. He wears a black vest with plenty of pockets for carrying all the little devices he carries around. Also wears black slacks for pants with lace-less all black sneakers. Wears black finger-less wool gloves too.

Personality: An ambitious ferret wanting to be an investigative reporter or private investigator. He spends his time trying to be an amateur writing, though hasn't made anything of it. Spends a lot of time chasing any conspiracy theories he comes across along with any mysteries too. Can be slightly paranoid sometimes but tries to be friendly, either just to be friendly or to try and get information that they may or may not have.

Backstory: Quasi came to this city to chase his dreams and this place seemed like the easiest place to do so. Tries hard to make it on his own, but even though he can stay on his feet by himself he has a hard time trying to keep it that way with what he does. Has written before but none of his stuff ever gets known and he isn't well known enough to make it into any sort of media outlet on his own, so he came to the city hoping things will change.

Strength: 5
Perception: 8
Endurance: 6
Charisma: 6
Intelligence: 8
Agility: 4
Luck: 5
Last edited by Civilization on Fri Aug 28, 2015 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Currently traveling across the United States. Still up for any conversations though.
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

Civilization wrote: Spends a lot of time chasing any conspiracy theories he comes across along with any mysteries too.
"No, there are no ufo's on the base, will you go away you crazy crackpot?!"
Most important thing I've learned from D&D?
No matter how tempting it may be, as a DM I can't both present a problem and solve it.
Every time a DMPC or NPC fixes something a payer couldn't i'm diminishing and undermining that player's contribution.
WeirdGamer

Post by WeirdGamer »

Looks pretty good Civ, but you may want to describe his footwear and gloves in appearance. Also, while an ambiguous case thanks to the precedence of Bean the Dynamite (who may or may not be cannon) most Mobians who are a "the [something]" are the "the [animal species]" rather than an adjective.

Civilization

Post by Civilization »

Whoops, got in a hurry with appearance... Okay, fixed the issues, anything else?
Currently traveling across the United States. Still up for any conversations though.
WeirdGamer

Post by WeirdGamer »

Nope, looks good. Approved!

RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

Buster wrote:
Civilization wrote: Spends a lot of time chasing any conspiracy theories he comes across along with any mysteries too.
"I could probably build you a UFO if you want one."
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

RandomGeekNamedBrent wrote:
Buster wrote:
"I could probably build you a UFO if you want one."
"Not. Helping."
No matter how tempting it may be, as a DM I can't both present a problem and solve it.
Every time a DMPC or NPC fixes something a payer couldn't i'm diminishing and undermining that player's contribution.
Civilization

Post by Civilization »

So does that mean I can just start posting here now?
WeirdGamer

Post by WeirdGamer »

Yeah, go right ahead.

WeirdGamer

Post by WeirdGamer »

Another possibility is that those who want mysteries right now could have them, and those who want Slice of Life could have that. After all, not everyone is together and those that are don't have to remain that way.

WeirdGamer

Post by WeirdGamer »

The United Federation Goverment

History
The United Federation was formed 235 years ago after the great Intercontinental War. Six countries badly damaged by the war came together under one government to facilitate reconstruction. Eventually, in 42 years, another country joined, and 23 years after that the 8th and final country (composed of a large island penusila) joined. This has lead to the current eight countries that make up the federation. The federation start as a more loose connection of countries, but overtime became much more centralized.

Federal Government
There are three branches of government in the United Federation, Executive, Legislative, and Judicial. The executive branch is head by a president elected by popular vote. Under the president are several organizations devoted to things such as transportation, technology, healthcare, etc. called ministries. The legislative branch is made up a bicameral legislature called the Convocation. There is the larger house made up of 580 members distributed by population across the eight countries. It is the House of Assembly. The smaller house is the House of Council and is made up of 120 members. Each country get 15 members. The judicial branch is made up of the national courts, with the Supreme Court being the highest in the land. The 11 members of the supreme court make judgement about laws based on the constitution of the United Federation. Its members are nominated by the sitting president, and approved by the Convocation, and then serve until retirement, removal, or death. One has to be at least 26 years old be an Assemblyperson, 30 to be a Councillor, 34 to president, and 38 to be a member of the Supreme Court. In practice, most members of the government are older than the requirements.

National and Local Governments
Thing are extremely varied on the national and local levels. What is uniform is each nation that is a part of the United Federation has a Convocation of its own, as well as national courts and a lead executive. While the executive branch at first varied between nations, eventually all adopted a leader who was popularly elected separately from the legislature. The title of the position varies from country to country. The courts are an extension of the Federal Government and decide cases relating to it. The legislatures are usually bicameral, though in one case there is a unicameral legislature. Countries are divided up into counties which are further divided up into villages, towns, cities, etc. Other than being democratic republics, the governments of localities vary widely, sometimes even within the same country.

Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

what time of day would it be, IC, right now?
WeirdGamer

Post by WeirdGamer »

Mid Morning. If you need something for Katt to do, I'd be happy to assist.

Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

yeah, getting to know her new sergeant got derailed when he suddenly drove off base...
~\Rook/~

Post by ~\Rook/~ »

..That has now been remedied. No thanks needed..
Profile Picture by Hukley
Character Reference
MrNeonShot

Post by MrNeonShot »

Umm, what was the non slice of life idea?
WeirdGamer

Post by WeirdGamer »

MrNeonShot wrote:Umm, what was the non slice of life idea?
Well, it wasn't really concrete given that people didn't seem interested. If people are then I'll develop something quickly and get back to you.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Guardian Unit of Nations

G.U.N.
When the eighth member nation joined the United Federation, it became clear that the traditional army, made up of the armies of the various member nations, was not a good enough resource. So a “peacekeeping” organization was formed to watch over all the nations. This was the Guardian Unit of Nations, often simply called G.U.N. G.U.N operates all throughout the United Federation, protecting it from threats within and without. Its main job is tackling problems that are too large for local forces to deal with. G.U.N is divided up into four divisions, Land, Sea, Air, and Robotics. G.U.N has two main reputations. On the positive side G.U.N. is known for being highly incorruptible. Corruption within the organization is rare, and when discovered dealt with swiftly. However, it is has a negative reputation for being overzealous. It has often gone to far for the sake of security and has had to be reigned in by the government.

Ranks
The following are the ranks for G.U.N. personnel
Private
Corporal
Sergeant
Sergeant Major- This is the highest rank a G.U.N. member can achieve without going through the officer training school.
Lieutenant - Further divides into Second and First Lieutenants.
Captain
Major
Commandant - At this point a G.U.N. member will have command over small bases or operations
Colonel - At this point a G.U.N. member will have command over a large base
Brigadier - There are two categories to this; Lower Brigadiers, which have command over regions, and four Higher Brigadiers, which have command over one of the divisions.
Commander - The highest rank in G.U.N., there is only one Commander, and he or she oversees all of G.U.N. They are the second most powerful person in the United Federation, second only to the president.

Outside Contractors
In order to boost its non-combat divisions, G.U.N. often brings in outside help. These Outside Contractors have limited security clearance, but are not officially part of G.U.N.

Troubleshooters
There are rumors that there are special G.U.N. agents known as Troubleshooters, who carry out work very secret in nature. Officially they are not part of G.U.N. and they do not exist. The former is in fact true, as any agent who becomes a Troubleshooter temporarily resigns from G.U.N. with the promise of later reinstatement. Troubleshooters carry out highly classified operations, and if they are caught are completely disavowed by G.U.N. While their existence is an open secret, very little is actually known about them, and they have never been officially proven to exist.
Last edited by WeirdGamer on Fri Sep 11, 2015 10:26 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

Wait, so enlisted ranks stop at E-4? Infantry only, no warrant officers or NCOs? Wouldn't that cause logistical problems?
WeirdGamer

Post by WeirdGamer »

Whoops, forgot a rank. :oops: Thanks for pointing that out.

MrNeonShot

Post by MrNeonShot »

maybe if we could get a theme here... I'm not sure what to do now except rp looking at shells :p
Deske

Post by Deske »

Ayy, someone stir up some trouble in a GM approved way or I'll just start making up the first wave of Dr. Eggman trying to take the city. In- a probably GM approved way... Maybe /joking
WeirdGamer

Post by WeirdGamer »

Well, we have several options. One of you can suggest something, I can just have something happen, or I can have several vague suggestions for players to vote on.

MrNeonShot

Post by MrNeonShot »

You can choose, if you'd like.
WeirdGamer

Post by WeirdGamer »

MrNeonShot wrote:You can choose, if you'd like.
Well, yeah, I could as GM, but I like to get my players' input.

Civilization

Post by Civilization »

Well, I'd leave it up to you, you came up with this and probably know where this should go the most. Though those vague votes could probably help, at least me since everyone else probably has a great idea, on coming up with an idea for input.
MrNeonShot

Post by MrNeonShot »

Hey guys, I already told the GM that I won't be rping here anymore. Not because of anything he did or anything you guys did, but I just don't... enjoy playing here anymore. Sorry guys, but I hope you all have fun!
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

understandable, the RP hasn't really gotten a chance to get off the ground yet so it's sort of (really) slow. maybe once it gets going it can recatch your interest, but until then, have fun in other RPs
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

Uh, The Ovi Kintobor alias is strictly an archie comics thing, it doesn't show up in any other continuity, and this seems to be based on the games continuity, otherwise the map would say mobius, not earth.

as far as i'm aware Game-Robotnik doesn't like being called Ivo, it's why he usually goes by his nickname/villain name "Eggman" so why would he base an alias on it?
Last edited by Buster on Sun Sep 20, 2015 2:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

well the animal characters are still Mobians, so I think it may be a mix of comics and games.
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

the animals being called mobians regardless of continuity is a fanon thing. Sega has never come up with an official name, and and just calling them animals sounds demeaning since that's what their unevolved counterparts are also called.
WeirdGamer

Post by WeirdGamer »

Buster wrote:Uh, The Ovi Kintobor alias is strictly an archie comics thing, it doesn't show up in any other continuity, and this seems to be based on the games continuity, otherwise the map would say mobius, not earth.

as far as i'm aware Game-Robotnik doesn't like being called Ivo, it's why he usually goes by his nickname/villain name "Eggman" so why would he base an alias on it?
While he could base an alias on, it doesn't matter regardless since this RP follows the Forum rules of not letting any characters from the actual series into the RP itself. Perhaps I should have made that more clear on the front page. I'll fix that now.

I also have story line choices for the Beach Goers:
1. The weird robots continue
2. A strange man is acting suspiciously
3. A strange young person is being chased by someone/something.