SAT

Discuss everything else here

Moderator: ArcWolf

dalonewolf25
Location: Somewhere in Pretoria, South Africa, where tiny colorful horses reside.

Re: SAT

Post by dalonewolf25 »

*Meow*
I took it too. I finished all of the problems, but I was sad that I couldn't answer one math problem *sniff* I'm so ashamed...That was one of the longest tests I've taken...

So, how did you do FarmMan?
Everyone has a story. What's yours?~
Anthroguy101

Post by Anthroguy101 »

dalonewolf25 wrote:*Meow*
I took it too. I finished all of the problems, but I was sad that I couldn't answer one math problem *sniff* I'm so ashamed...That was one of the longest tests I've taken...

So, how did you do FarmMan?
Usually it takes weeks (sometimes months) to get the results.
dalonewolf25
Location: Somewhere in Pretoria, South Africa, where tiny colorful horses reside.

Post by dalonewolf25 »

I know, but I got my SAT2 results within a month, so that's viable. I can wait...
I had a 740 in Spanish and a 700 on the Math Lv.2 Tests (Because I didn't get to finish the whole test...)
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

I remember getting my lowest score on the SAT2 test that I thought was my best subject.
Last edited by Sleet on Sat Dec 04, 2010 5:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
dalonewolf25

Post by dalonewolf25 »

Oh? Which was it? (and you composed your sentence wrong, could you fix it? It's mindtwirling my thought process...)
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

I took biology, physics and math, and biology was actually my lowest (and math my highest).
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
dalonewolf25

Post by dalonewolf25 »

I should probably take chemistry, physics, and math lv.2 next time as well...
Sleet wrote:I remember getting my lowest score on the SAT2 test that I thought was my best subject.
There we go...wait...
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Whatever. I didn't see anything wrong with my sentence structure, but I changed it. Incidentally reading and English were my worst grades on the ACT, so there you go. :P
dalonewolf25

Post by dalonewolf25 »

Incidentally, same here.
Here are my ACT Scores:
April 2010:
Composite: 26
English: 24
Mathematics: 30
Reading: 21
Science: 28
Writing: 23
October 2010 (Did poor because of lack of sleep that day):
Composite: 24
English: 20
Mathematics: 30 (Apparently, I can still do Math in my sleep...)
Reading: 20
Science: 21
Writing: 22
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

I was told the writing section can't really hurt you. I hope not, because I only got a 9 on it when I did it.
dalonewolf25

Post by dalonewolf25 »

Remember, it's called "optional" for a reason. However, they might take that into account when choosing your courses, though...
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Well I chose my own courses; I was only concerned with how good it made my application look.
dalonewolf25

Post by dalonewolf25 »

Ah, I'm pretty sure they didn't care, else, you wouldn't be there, now would ya?
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Well I dunno, I was really close to getting into my college of choice, so hopefully that wasn't what made the difference.
FarmMan1812

Post by FarmMan1812 »

In an answer to you question, at the end of page 1, I think that I might have done well. I will know in a month.
FarmMan1812

Post by FarmMan1812 »

I Got an 890. TERRIBLE!!!!!!!!!!! Ò_ó
dalonewolf25

Post by dalonewolf25 »

oh, the scores are out? *looks*

EDIT: Aww, I did terrible as well...but how do you calculate that number if the max is 800? Which numbers did you add up?
FarmMan1812

Post by FarmMan1812 »

dalonewolf25 wrote:oh, the scores are out? *looks*

EDIT: Aww, I did terrible as well...but how do you calculate that number if the max is 800? Which numbers did you add up?
Your scored on three different things (Critical Reading, Math, and Writing), but they don't the writing.
I got a 500 on the math, and 390 on both Writing and Critical Reading.
I need to work on the reading part, and I can do better probably on the math.
It really sucks having dyslexia.
Haha

And I took the one on Dec. 4th.
If thats the one you took, than yes the scores should all be out.

Mod Edit: Merged Double Post
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

If it's anything like the ACT, I think your highest score overrides your lesser scores, so if you can take it again you can hopefully improve it. I suggest you study if that's the case, and then you can do better next time!
Blue Braixen
Ms. Sunshine

Post by Blue Braixen »

Sleet wrote:If it's anything like the ACT, I think your highest score overrides your lesser scores, so if you can take it again you can hopefully improve it. I suggest you study if that's the case, and then you can do better next time!
I thought the SAT was on an 1800 scale, so his score is something like 1280?
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

Uh, guys, I have a question.

The PSAT is a rough estimate on about how well you will probably do on the SAT. I sort of screwed up (I don't want to explain what I did- :oops: ) but my scores should be a little bit higher.

Math: 550
Critical Reading: 570
Writing: 450 (this is where I screwed up.... :/ )

The total SAT (all three combined) is based off a 2400 grade, right? So how good is a 1570 for a high school sophomore?

And if just the Math & Critical Reading are factored (which is what colleges mainly look at anyways), the higest possible score is 1600 when only those two are factored, right? How good is my score of 1120?
Let me tell you about Homestuck.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

I actually don't know. I... Kinda never took the PSAT. To this day I still don't know why I was like the only person in my class not to, and neither did my counselor. It makes me really mad, because considering my scores on the real tests I took, I almost certainly would have scored high enough to be a National Merit Scholar semifinalist or whatever they're called. There was pretty much free scholarship money in that. Whatever glitch in the system allowed me to slip through the cracks cost my family thousands.

According to Wikipedia, your full score is around the 57th percentile and your two sections alone have you in the 66th percentile. In case you don't know what percentiles are, they represent what percentage of all students you outscored or matched.

If you know what you screwed up on, that's a good thing to work on for the real SAT. The main purpose of this test is to let students know how they should be preparing for the final test. And to screw the Sleet family out of money.
dalonewolf25

Post by dalonewolf25 »

I keep forgetting that this is the exam that takes off points for every wrong answer.
My PSAT scores are not in yet, I think, but my Dec.4 SAT scores did:
Critical Reading: 510 (I'm a terrible reader) 53rd%
Math: 660 (...I wonder which question did I miss...) 87%
Writing: 500 (I didn't finish my concluding sentence...) 53%
Subscores: M.C. 49 (On a scale from 20 to 80)
Essay: 8 (On a scale from 2 to 12)

That would mean that my composite score is 1170 and my total is 1670. I still feel like that's not enough....
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

It might be and it might not be. It depends what kind of college you want to go to.

Well, really it doesn't matter at all since no one cares about the PSAT. It's what it says about your chances on the SAT that matters. Or the ACT if you take that instead. There's still time to study, yaknow. My PLAN (the ACT's version of the PSAT) was actually 3 points below my actual score (the equivalent of 200 points in the full version of the SAT) and I didn't study at all, so it's not like what you learn in school in the next year or so is going to be useless.
dalonewolf25

Post by dalonewolf25 »

I took the PLAN. Apparently, I got the highest composite score predicted by them when I took the ACT the first time. They predicted a range from 23-26, and I had gotten 26...
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

...Either my school district is really behind on education compared to the rest of the country or the other sophomores in my year aren't too bright. I checked my rankings against the other sophomores in my area who took the PSAT and my percentiles were:

Critical Reading: 88%
Math: 82%
Writing Skills: 65% (T_T)

Yes, I see the chart thing on my scoring paper now... according to this I'm at the 68 percentile compared to juniors who are in college-prep, not standard high school.

....That's not too bad for someone who didn't study at all.

Why does this thing have to be timed? I could have done awesome if it didn't give me ten minutes to answer practically 15 questions.

By the way, the PSAT actually does count. You can get a few scholarships if you do good enough when you take it in your junior year.
Let me tell you about Homestuck.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

If you didn't study, then you know to study for the real test! Then you can pretty much guarantee it'll go up.

It's timed because in the real world you're given a time limit for all the tasks you need to do. Oh wait, no you aren't. :P The only real reason is because if they give you all the time in the world, some people would be that guy and take days, so they have to time it to keep it standardized. I don't have a problem with the timer personally, but I don't see what practical purpose it serves aside from keeping the proctors from having to spend their entire day there.

Unless I'm mistaken, you have to do really well to get a scholarship from it (which is why I was mad I didn't take it), and the real scholarship money (and admissions for that matter) is from the SAT.
Civilization

Post by Civilization »

Just got my SAT scores back today, is that a good score?
Critical Reading 550
Math 610
Writing 460
Currently traveling across the United States. Still up for any conversations though.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

It's a solid score! Not exceptional but still pretty good, I believe.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I can't even remember what my score was only that it was slightly above average.
GreatKitsune

Post by GreatKitsune »

I took the ACT and got a 28 during my sophomore year of high school.
Hello, low order beings!

Community Involvement, peepoll!
Someone wise once wrote:I wish I could ride a magical girl's purple flying unicorn to Narnia through Lebouff's Shire, the land of trololol.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Haven't heard of the ACT. What is it?
GreatKitsune

Post by GreatKitsune »

Amazee Dayzee wrote:Haven't heard of the ACT. What is it?
Alternative to SAT. More Math, less writing.
Hello, low order beings!

Community Involvement, peepoll!
Someone wise once wrote:I wish I could ride a magical girl's purple flying unicorn to Narnia through Lebouff's Shire, the land of trololol.
Dissension

Post by Dissension »

The ACT is more common in Southern and Midwestern states, whereas the SAT is generally more popular in coastal areas and Yankeeland.

people are the only things that matter; take care of yourselves and each other
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Most colleges don't even care. If you take the "wrong" one they'll just convert it to the one they know and compare you to everyone else.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

That would explain why i had it over here (Yankeeland is Rhode Island) but not why it is the only test that use on television shows.