Discuss everything else here

Moderator: ArcWolf

FarmMan1812

SAT

Post by FarmMan1812 »

(As of 11/29/10)
I am taking this thing on Saturday.
Any helpful advice?
And if you took it, what did you get? =)
Last edited by FarmMan1812 on Mon Nov 29, 2010 5:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Re: SAT

Post by Sleet »

I took the ACT and the SAT2 instead of the SAT, but my advice is:

1.) Don't panic. If you keep calm, you'll feel better and perform better.
2.) Eat a good breakfast and get enough sleep beforehand.
3.) Pace yourself.
4.) I think the SAT penalizes you for wrong answers, so don't be afraid to skip if you don't think you'll finish a section in time.
5.) This might just be me, but if helped me to have fast-paced music in my head while I took standardized tests.
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
dalonewolf25
Location: Somewhere in Pretoria, South Africa, where tiny colorful horses reside.

Post by dalonewolf25 »

ZOMG, I JUST REMEMBERED THAT IT'S THIS SATURDAY!!! THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!!!
Sleet wrote:I took the ACT and the SAT2 instead of the SAT, but my advice is:

1.) Don't panic. If you keep calm, you'll feel better and perform better.
2.) Eat a good breakfast and get enough sleep beforehand.
3.) Pace yourself.
4.) I think the SAT penalizes you for wrong answers, so don't be afraid to skip if you don't think you'll finish a section in time.
5.) This might just be me, but if helped me to have fast-paced music in my head while I took standardized tests.

1) That's the #1 thing you should always have in mind (or not, it works psychologically both ways).
2) For the first time, I shall try this out just to see what'll happen...
3) ...What if you can't read an article in less than a minute and answer each question in one minute?
4) Yes. They do it "to prevent random guessing."
5) ...I'll keep this in mind too...
Everyone has a story. What's yours?~
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

"Pace yourself" doesn't mean "go slowly," it means "don't move faster than you can think, but don't dawdle."
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
dalonewolf25
Location: Somewhere in Pretoria, South Africa, where tiny colorful horses reside.

Post by dalonewolf25 »

Ah, like staring at the wall, and looking at how beautiful it is, with its pretty flat paint and its glossy coating and...*slaps himself* Pay attention!
Dissension

Post by Dissension »

I'm totally worthless to you, I took the ACT. My score was a not-bad 28 overall, 35 on English, 33 on Reading, etc.

I guess my most-applicable advice would be to work diligently without driving yourself into the ground. As Sleet said, work at a pace you're comfortable with that simultaneously enables you to complete each section.

people are the only things that matter; take care of yourselves and each other
Psykeout

Post by Psykeout »

the number one thing that i think i would go back and tell myself is to skip a problem that im stuck on and come back to it if i have time, rather than dwell on it.

at least, that was the the biggest issue i think i had... i hope it helps you too... >.>
bwah bwah
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Dissension wrote:I'm totally worthless to you, I took the ACT. My score was a not-bad 28 overall, 35 on English, 33 on Reading, etc.

I guess my most-applicable advice would be to work diligently without driving yourself into the ground. As Sleet said, work at a pace you're comfortable with that simultaneously enables you to complete each section.
Wow, you must suck at math if you got scores that great in English and reading. :3

I doubt you're worthless, since for the most part the same advice is applicable to most standardized tests.
Dissension

Post by Dissension »

Yeah, math wasn't my strong suit. Despite taking (and doing well in) Algebra I & II, Geometry, and Physics, I didn't get out of the mid-20s. I also had trouble with the science section for some reason, which is just reading with graphs? Argh.

dalonewolf25

Post by dalonewolf25 »

I took the ACT this year and last year. I did worse than last year... E|:P
Ya, math is truly my strong point...Hope me and Farm do good this Saturday!
Buckdida
Juicy Wolf-Cat

Post by Buckdida »

Ah, advice. Allow me to regurgitate a wall of text that I learned while taking it a couple of years ago.

Yeah, don't panic. Stay relaxed. You've probably been taking state testing for a while now, and it's just like that, but longer, and perhaps a little bit harder at times. Same for the writing part. You've done this all before! It's just a bit harder.

Question stump you? Skip it. Focus on getting the questions you can get done, done, then go back and scrape out the extra points from questions you skipped. If you can't finish all the questions, don't panic or think you're doing something wrong. The test's time limit is designed to screw you over; you actually are not expected to finish all the questions in time. Yeah, annoying, I know. Try to finish them all, but don't panic if you don't. Be quick, take shortcuts when you can. The test isn't hard, so don't worry about that. The time limit? That's what killed me.

The guessing penalty is there, but it is small. You lose 1/4 of a point for a wrong answer. This is to prevent random guesses, such as the infamous "oh crap out of time maybe I can get lucky bubblebubblebubble" thing. If you have no idea for the answer to a question, leave it blank, because a lucky guess has low chance. If you're deciding between two answers, then take a guess, because you're far more likely to still get it right in that situation.

Sleep well. Prepare the night before; have your ID, test ticket, pencils, calculators etc. so that you aren't stressed in the morning. Eat breakfast. Bring snacks and water. It's a very long test, so they give you breaks and you can eat them then. Make sure to go to the bathroom during the breaks. Nothing is more distracting than and empty or...full, stomach when taking that test. The test is long. VERY long, about four hours if I'm not mistaken. Prepare well and you'll be fine.

Check the allowed calculator list. Bring the most abusive calculator you can. You'd be surprised what you can bring; I noted too late that my graphing calc that can instantly find the roots of polynomials though a pre-installed app was actually allowed on the test. I was so annoyed when I found that out.

You guys might be lucky: I'm not sure WHEN the change actually happens, but I know some people do not have to take the SATII (aka, the SAT subject tests... bleh) tests for colleges (namely the public state schools), though you still must take the regular SAT tests. Research this.

ACT: Just another test, but with a few differences, namely the scoring and the "science" section, which I know wasn't really science and it annoyed me greatly but I can't remember why anymore. Same advice applies; whether you take both tests is up to you.
Retired RP Character List (Sorry guys)
Richardson Valley: Venison and Ochen
Brookshire Meadows: Trinket
Oasis Towers: Jaxeh and Klack
Dissension

Post by Dissension »

Some more advice!

The SAT is generally more useful if you plan to attend a school on the East or West coast, while the ACT is given more prominence by schools in the South and Midwest.

dalonewolf25

Post by dalonewolf25 »

Also another hint, some schools just want "a score," not a really high score. However, they do keep in mind with what you're capable of doing in their schools, as your scores will most likely tell your counselor what classes you'll be able to take your freshman year. There's another test called the CPT (Computerized Placement Test) offered by CollegeBoard, the makers of the SAT and the AP exams, which are taken in place of the SAT or the ACT or as an addition to those. Usually, they're given in community colleges. However, I'm not sure whether they do it in universities after you've been accepted into their schools...I took it, and it was probably the easiest test you could ever take, as you have unlimited time(to an extent) but you can't go back to look at the previous question as you're taking the test. Another test you could take is the CLEP, which lets you skip courses of which you know the material of. I don't know if they still use that today or not...
The Game

Post by The Game »

I was going to take it this Saturday with the Duke talent search thingy, but my Mom forgot to mail in my oder form surprise, surprise -.-
Dissension

Post by Dissension »

I took the ACT as part of Duke's Talent Identification Program about a decade ago. I think I got a 17, which isn't so much at the graduating senior level but was enough for a middle-schooler like me to earn state-level recognition.

Psykeout

Post by Psykeout »

i took the sats for the duke thing, and then again for a different thing.

i got a 780-790ish, a 750-770ish, and a 7-something-ish in math, reading, and writing respectively.
...i think... >.>. i remember my percentiles a lot better. though im pretty sure i got my math score right.
bwah bwah
Dissension

Post by Dissension »

Darn you, everyone who's smarter than I am. Those of equivalent or lesser intelligence, however, are all right.

Oh, and I guess I could also advise you to make sure your phone is turned off or, better yet, leave your mobile phone at home.

Psykeout

Post by Psykeout »

dawwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww... he's complimenting me. :')
*hugs*

never do it again.
bwah bwah
Vespier Leo

Post by Vespier Leo »

When I took the sat I got a 784 in The reading, a 760 in math and I don't exactly remember the writing score but it was high as well.

Stranger things have happened, and do, with alarming regularity.

--Vespier R. Leo
Ebly

Post by Ebly »

Hint: SATs are messed up. Okay, it's not just the SATs. It just seems unreasonable to have a supposed measurement of scholastic ability determined by a test in which you can still theoretically get zero percent despite various correct answers (which mind you, for some reason is not actually a score of zero but a score of something-hundred). Additionally, the fact that it (and/or the ACT) is used for college entrance is silly to me. It is a test which in itself is not necessarily accessible to everybody, and in a lot of situations the subject material plus the necessity of quick thinking can be irrelevant to the direction a person wishes to take for their career. I support high school certification that associates a ranking based on a student's performance through high school, as this seems more relevant overall to tertiary education. Since in the high school experience you have to endure both assignments and tests, this does somewhat prepare you for the tertiary systems. High school is obviously not the best preparation by far, but at least it's a start. A simple test, however, is no indication whatsoever that a person will be able to cope with the system they will be interacting with when in college. I can't really be bothered in an informal forum post to go searching for a study on the matter, but I would doubt that there's much of a correlation between SAT/ACT scores and actual performance within tertiary education systems.
On the other hand, the problem with the system I like is that a one-time ranking based on high school performance is a poor indication of how someone will perform if they decide to take on tertiary education four, five years down the line. Besides having a fast-moving education system that changes their standards often, it seems reasonable for a person to develop to a point where they would deal much better with tertiary education than they would have at the time of leaving high school. As such for people who left high school a while ago, having an old and thus no longer relevant ranking from an older system with different expectations is kind of ineffective in being indicative of one's probable performance within tertiary education.
It would probably be expensive and complex in execution to have a similar overall performance-based ranking system that is able to be retaken like the ACT and SAT are, so to me the next-best thing would be to have colleges take into consideration a combination of the SAT/ACT style of determining ranking based on test scores and the TER/ATAR style of determining ranking based on high school performance. Then, not only would they have an up-to-date assessment of how well someone answers the specific questions on the test they take (which realistically is all you can deduce from a test), but you would have an indication of how the potential student dealt with assignment and test structures in high school (which realistically is all you can deduce from high school performance-based ranking systems). I think that could give the best overall picture of the necessary criteria for admission to tertiary education.

Mind you, being Australian means I have no need to take any form of standardized test for tertiary admission, and thus I have little exposure. I could be basing my opinion on factually inaccurate material. Either way, at the very least they could get rid of multiple choice. It's a bit depressing when the logical process of elimination is valued higher than actually knowing the material.
I was going to make a joke but then I did.
dalonewolf25

Post by dalonewolf25 »

No, you've gotten a good basis on the info, but...
1) You could take the SAT/ACT more than once for the entrance into a post-secondary(yes, we don't call it the third school, we call it the one after the second) school.
2) Usually, they don't even look at your SAT/ACT scores, unless they see that you have nothing else to show for. Instead, they look at your info and the essay that you've turned in to them (which I would advise you all that if it says that it is optional, DO THE ESSAY ANYWAYS!!! You can't believe how many people have fallen for that trick many, many times!)
3) Post-Secondary institutions look at how you stand out from the rest. If you're from another country, they'll take that in mind, as they're trying to attract as many people from a variety of places from the world.
4) Explain the TER/ATAR system, please
Psykeout

Post by Psykeout »

Ebly wrote:Hint: SATs are messed up. Okay, it's not just the SATs. It just seems unreasonable to have a supposed measurement of scholastic ability determined by a test in which you can still theoretically get zero percent despite various correct answers (which mind you, for some reason is not actually a score of zero but a score of something-hundred). Additionally, the fact that it (and/or the ACT) is used for college entrance is silly to me. It is a test which in itself is not necessarily accessible to everybody, and in a lot of situations the subject material plus the necessity of quick thinking can be irrelevant to the direction a person wishes to take for their career. I support high school certification that associates a ranking based on a student's performance through high school, as this seems more relevant overall to tertiary education. Since in the high school experience you have to endure both assignments and tests, this does somewhat prepare you for the tertiary systems. High school is obviously not the best preparation by far, but at least it's a start. A simple test, however, is no indication whatsoever that a person will be able to cope with the system they will be interacting with when in college. I can't really be bothered in an informal forum post to go searching for a study on the matter, but I would doubt that there's much of a correlation between SAT/ACT scores and actual performance within tertiary education systems.
On the other hand, the problem with the system I like is that a one-time ranking based on high school performance is a poor indication of how someone will perform if they decide to take on tertiary education four, five years down the line. Besides having a fast-moving education system that changes their standards often, it seems reasonable for a person to develop to a point where they would deal much better with tertiary education than they would have at the time of leaving high school. As such for people who left high school a while ago, having an old and thus no longer relevant ranking from an older system with different expectations is kind of ineffective in being indicative of one's probable performance within tertiary education.
It would probably be expensive and complex in execution to have a similar overall performance-based ranking system that is able to be retaken like the ACT and SAT are, so to me the next-best thing would be to have colleges take into consideration a combination of the SAT/ACT style of determining ranking based on test scores and the TER/ATAR style of determining ranking based on high school performance. Then, not only would they have an up-to-date assessment of how well someone answers the specific questions on the test they take (which realistically is all you can deduce from a test), but you would have an indication of how the potential student dealt with assignment and test structures in high school (which realistically is all you can deduce from high school performance-based ranking systems). I think that could give the best overall picture of the necessary criteria for admission to tertiary education.

Mind you, being Australian means I have no need to take any form of standardized test for tertiary admission, and thus I have little exposure. I could be basing my opinion on factually inaccurate material. Either way, at the very least they could get rid of multiple choice. It's a bit depressing when the logical process of elimination is valued higher than actually knowing the material.
that looks so smart that i wish i had enough of an attention span to read it. <:c
bwah bwah
dalonewolf25

Post by dalonewolf25 »

Read it, Psyke, it might help you mislead your future...and it'll help you analyze things you may want to compare with something else later on in the future...and he wrote it for a reason: to convey his opinion and for someone else to read it.
Dissension

Post by Dissension »

Ebly wrote:A well-written opinion piece.
They actually consider one's Grade Point Average, accumulated over the last four years of public education (which in my case was junior high and high school, but for most is entirely high school), and in many cases this has a larger impact on one's selection for admission than standardized test results. In my case this was something of a hindrance, as I never particularly felt the need to complete homework assignments.

Graduate schools function similarly in their admissions processes, requiring one to complete the Graduate Record Examination or a similar, field-of-study-oriented test, as well as submitting one's college or university GPA and other academic records, including letters of recommendation. Some also require personal statements or letters of intention, which demonstrate one's ability to write coherently outside of a testing environment.

Ebly

Post by Ebly »

dalonewolf25 wrote:No, you've gotten a good basis on the info, but...
1) You could take the SAT/ACT more than once for the entrance into a post-secondary(yes, we don't call it the third school, we call it the one after the second) school.
2) Usually, they don't even look at your SAT/ACT scores, unless they see that you have nothing else to show for. Instead, they look at your info and the essay that you've turned in to them (which I would advise you all that if it says that it is optional, DO THE ESSAY ANYWAYS!!! You can't believe how many people have fallen for that trick many, many times!)
3) Post-Secondary institutions look at how you stand out from the rest. If you're from another country, they'll take that in mind, as they're trying to attract as many people from a variety of places from the world.
4) Explain the TER/ATAR system, please
Tssssk, I was replying to this and then my computer died.

1. I am fairly sure I never said anything to indicate I thought it was a one-time-only thing *giggles*
2. Well that just makes it redundant on top of everything else, and why would anyone bother paying for redundancy?
3. I'd say it's better to think of it akin to a job interview – they're looking for the best people for the positions they have available. Diversity and 'standing out' on default don't have anything to do with it – they only matter if it's standing out in a good way.
4. This was taking a really long time and is part of the reason my computer died, so I'll write a simple explanation of its function instead. The ATAR (Australian Tertiary Admissions Rank)/TER (Tertiary Entrance Rank) is a ranking determined on a school leaver's position within the body of all school leavers for that year. That is, a ranking directly correlated with your grades as compared to the entire student body for that year in your state. Note that this is a direct ranking and that the ATAR is then determined from your position on the aforementioned ranking - if your university aggregate (don't ask) is 70, and 10% of the student body for the year got 70 or better, your ATAR would be 90.

Note that TER is a term used to refer to the same thing though it is technically incorrect (the TER was used locally in WA, SA, NT and Tas. The individual state systems were all (bar Queensland's) phased out with the introduction of the national ATAR. We're not quite used to the acronym change yet).

Diss: Well that does make more sense, but I do feel taking the direct GPA as opposed to a comparative ranking could be difficult for university selection panels to decipher – it pretty much just looks like a jumble of numbers to anyone not intricately familiar with the local GPA system, of which there are many. It doesn't help that there is no standardized grading system over there.
Either way, it ultimately looks like the overall deal is that you essentially make a resume for school.

Go figure.
Dissension

Post by Dissension »

Though it may vary, public schools in the United States almost universally use a four-point (or five for advanced placement classes) GPA scale and all schools I've attended base those ranks similarly. Granted, I attended one public school district, which would obviously not have different ranking standards at different levels, and a university which is in the same town, so I don't have a lot of experience with more diverse systems.

I think I was in the bottom 25% of my graduating high school class with a 2.69/4.0 GPA, which save for my ACT scores would have seen me basically unable to attend college in the first place. Lesson for anyone still in public school: do your homework. (Admittedly, though, this is because I was out sick for nearly half a school year in junior high and never got caught up, despite having much better yearly GPAs subsequent to that.) My university GPA was ether 2.995 or 3.0, which isn't awful, and (assuming good GRE scores [and I'm good at standardized tests, especially English-oriented ones]) would allow me unconditional admission to most post-graduate schools. Wait, why are we talking about me all of a sudden?

Dubiousity

Post by Dubiousity »

I actually have yet to take the SAT. I'm not too worried about it though, I do well in school, have a solid 3.8/4 GPA.
Sometimes I wish the world would end in 2012
dalonewolf25

Post by dalonewolf25 »

Well, y'see... I'm a bad test taker, mostly because of the fact that it takes me awhile to capture what the answer is asking me for(only in the reading comprehension and literature tests), and a new problem which arose is that, while I'm taking college classes, I'm starting to forget the simple tangential topics that were taught back in high school, and while I would look at a simple problem, such as a probability problem, I would ultimately make it more complicated than it needs to be...Also, the #1 thing that has killed me during every single test that I've taken throughout my whole academic career is that I can't read fast enough. I need to read slowly in order to truly comprehend it. Then, I start answering questions.

Diss: Here we use the 4-point scale, but when we weigh classes, they give 4 points for an "A" in a regular class, 5 points for an "A" in an honors class, and 6 points for an "A" in an AP/Dual Enrollment course. According to this system, I have a 3.77 unweighted and a 4.37 weighted. That's about to change after finals for this semester, though (one lower, one higher, respectively)...Top 6% percent...woo...

Ebly: Interesting, why not go to a school where the majority have lower grades than you and graduate from there, then? E|;D
Psykeout

Post by Psykeout »

i tried to read but i passed out. i am to be shamed forever. do not look at me!!!

*runs off to cry*
bwah bwah
Ebly

Post by Ebly »

dalonewolf25 wrote:Ebly: Interesting, why not go to a school where the majority have lower grades than you and graduate from there, then? E|;D
I said student body for the whole year, silly. It's determined per state, not per school.
dalonewolf25

Post by dalonewolf25 »

Then move to another state! Explain why not, because you expected this response...
Ebly

Post by Ebly »

The cost, the cost, the cost, the cost, and the cost. The time, the effort, the finding a place to move in to and the lack of people I know.

Also the complexity of converting certification partially achieved here to certification partially achieved interstate – as soon as I actually graduate, that's not an issue, but moving while having incomplete certification is covered in bureaucracy.

Plus I like it here.

Come on dude, if moving was so easy, why don't you just move around at the drop of a hat?
dalonewolf25

Post by dalonewolf25 »

Well, technically you're moving your hands easily every time you type in a word, therefore, I would move around at the drop of a hat...

...But I get your point
FarmMan1812

Post by FarmMan1812 »

OH MY GOD!!!!
I am taking it tomorrow.
I an not nervous, but I know that i am going to hate sitting in a room for FOUR HOURS. UUUGGHHHHH!!!
Anthroguy101

Post by Anthroguy101 »

I think I got 900s in all three categories.I'll tell you the real score when I'm finished investigating.
Last edited by Anthroguy101 on Sat Dec 04, 2010 11:53 am, edited 2 times in total.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Doesn't it only go up to 800, or is that just the SAT2?
Anthroguy101

Took this Junior Year

Post by Anthroguy101 »

Sleet wrote:Doesn't it only go up to 800, or is that just the SAT2?
I took the writing. Great, now I have to go digging. I was higher than 50th percentile in all three categories.

Wow. I have a terrible memory when it comes to these things.

Critical Reading - 530 (National Percentile 60%)
Mathematics - 540 (National Percentile 58%)
Writing - 520 (National Percentile 59%)
Essay Score - 9 (on a scale from 2-12)

*All above national, high school and state averages.*

ACT Composite Score 23, Percentile 69% (61% in Pennsylvania)
English - 22 (Percentile 64%)
Mathematics - 23 (percentile 68%)
Reading - 22 (Percentile 59%)
Science - 24 (Percentile 78%)

Map shows I'm best with "Ideas & Things." Most of the "recommended" careers deal with engineering and science.

This was well over what I needed to get into Ediboro University of Pennsylvania.
Last edited by Anthroguy101 on Sat Dec 04, 2010 12:07 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Oh, maybe you're right then. I don't even know. I just took the ACT and SAT2, so those are the only scores I really know about.
FarmMan1812

Post by FarmMan1812 »

Ok... I have teken the test. It is over and done with. THANK GOD!!!!!
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Yay! How'd you think you did?