My Little Pony

Discuss everything else here

Moderator: ArcWolf

IceKitsune

Re: My Little Pony

Post by IceKitsune »

I really liked this episode. Once I got over how over the top Scootaloo and RD’s Parents were being it was a very, very good episode. We learned a ton about Rainbow Dash which was great and Scootaloo got a ton of development as well. I enjoyed the flashback stuff quite a bit it was cute seeing a lot of the characters as kids we haven’t seen before.

Overall I think the only real weakness of this episode was the moral, sort of anyway, I mean honestly while Rainbow was in the wrong for yelling at her parents like that and not telling them she was a Wonderbolt. They did seriously need to be told to tone it down a notch or two, they are kind of crazy. 8.5/10 for me
The Blue Fox

Post by The Blue Fox »

Yeah, I definitely thought an ending where RD is like "Mom, dad, I appreciate your support, but could you just tone it down, like, a LOT?" would've been a lot better.
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

Post by RandomGeekNamedBrent »

I loved how much Dash's mom looked like her. or I guess how much Dash looks like her mom
Paradigm Shift by me
I do not actually believe any of what I'm saying.
RP character sheets
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

That was an ok episode it was nice to see Big Mac get a bigger role again and Sugar Belle to get some development. The CMC were pretty funny the whole time and I liked that it at least addressed Cheerilee and that whole thing. Big Mac and Sugar Belle are cute as heck together.

For the first time, the show actually addresses romance I think it went down pretty good, nothing great but pretty good none the less. The song went on a bit too long but I also loved how Sugar Belle’s expressions changed throughout it. I heard a lot of people said that Feather Bangs looks like Justin Bieber quite a bit and I have to agree that he does. Overall I would give this one a 5/10 not as good as the other episodes so far but still worth the watch.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Honestly I wasn't a huge fan of any of those 3 episodes. This season really has been hit or miss!

I know there are a few good ones coming up though. They're leaks, so I can't say more.
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

I loved the heck out of this one! Luna and Celestia both got much-needed character development. We finally got to see what both of them do as Princesses which was great. Glimmer and Twilight were both super fun to watch especially Twilight freaking out the whole time.

If I had to point out any real flaw with this episode it would be that they maybe spent a bit too much time with Luna and should have had Celestia deal with one dream before Starlights. Other than that minor nitpick it was easily a 10/10 episode. Best of the season so far and up there with the best of the series.
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

I loved the episode too. I especially enjoyed the brief glimpse of Doctor Whooves' dream, looking uneasily at a statue. there were other parts I liked but I need to rewatch the episode to remember them cause I've already forgotten.
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

So how awesome was Daybreaker? :O
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
The Blue Fox

Post by The Blue Fox »

OMG, I just LOVED Daybreaker's design! Quite cool to see what Celestia's version of Nightmare Moon would be.

The episode as a whole was amazing...very believable...You might think the royal sisters aren't acting like themselves but you have to take into account their problems have most likely been brewing for quite some time before Starlight stepped in.
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

I've seen people question (and in fact questioned myself) Celestia's line about how easy raising the moon was, considering she did it for a thousand years.
but then rewatching it I thought maybe she didn't notice before cause she was also raising the sun in the same period and it made it seem harder.
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

RandomGeekNamedBrent wrote:I've seen people question (and in fact questioned myself) Celestia's line about how easy raising the moon was, considering she did it for a thousand years.
but then rewatching it I thought maybe she didn't notice before cause she was also raising the sun in the same period and it made it seem harder.
I thought it was because she had Lunas magic thereby making it easier as Luna is intuned with the moon.

As for the episode this week. I thought that was an ok episode, nothing really special but it was nice to see more of the world that isn’t Equestria. Pinkie was used very well and it was pretty funny the whole time. I would give it a solid 6/10 above average but weak compared to the rest of the season so far.
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

Pony Returns on August 5th! The hiatus is gonna be over soon everyone! I just have to wonder if Canada will start up the two episodes a week again.

Edit: A Promo for the second half of the season
And an extended version of the preview
JeffCvt

Post by JeffCvt »

Hey everyone, long time no post for me.

I have to ask since it's coming up. Is anyone going to Bronycon in Baltimore? I'm going all three days and staying in a hotel. If anyone is even making it for just one, it would be cool to possibly try and meet up.
Jeff "Clavy" Civit
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

IceKitsune wrote:Pony Returns on August 5th! The hiatus is gonna be over soon everyone! I just have to wonder if Canada will start up the two episodes a week again.

Edit: A Promo for the second half of the season
And an extended version of the preview
I'm excited! I hope it's good. Leading up to the movie, I'm hoping the show picks up!

EDIT: Saw the two newest episodes! The Fluttershy/Discord one wasn't fantastic, though it still was pretty cute seeing Fluttershy interested in whatever a Discord tea party would be like.

The other one, however, was really sweet. It made me tear up at a few places, and I think it's really sweet they're finally addressing Applejack's parents (even though they never really acknowledge how they died). It was also really sweet her mom gave a love song to her dad as a gift since just a couple weeks ago I did the same thing for my mate's and my anniversary. :3 And "Grand Pear" is a really cute pun.
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

With the hiatus over I can get back to sharing my thoughts on episodes!

Discordant Harmony: This one is one of the more mediocre episodes of the season, but even than it's still pretty good. Fluttershy is fun throughout and it does show how much Discord and her care for each other. It is pretty funny but I don't think it goes far enough with the premise of Discord needing to be Chaotic nor with the subplot of others not understanding why Discord and Fluttershy are friends. I think maybe if it had run more with one or the other it would have been a bit better. 6/10 rewatchable but not one of the best.

Perfect Pear: This is single handily one of the best episodes of the series. The amount of emotion in this episode is amazing. They addressed the Apple Parents perfectly and it really showed how their deaths affected the Apple siblings. That little moment with Burnt Oak and Big Mac coming back to ask if they could stop by again to hear more stories was so very nice, and not something a lot of other shows would do. They incorporated the side characters into the stories very well and I love how it even managed to flesh out Cup Cake in the process.

The song in this episode will go down as one of my favorites from the show for sure, it honestly made me cry a bit the first time I watched the episode. Day and Shatner were both very good in the episode and just made it even better. The shot at the end with the intertwined tree (which is a real thing, called Inosculation or Husband and Wife Trees, just not to that extent IIRC) was very beautiful. 10/10 one of the best of the series, top 5 for sure.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Oh snap, I had no idea they were William Shatner and Felicia Day! That's really cool.
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

I didn't realize it was Felicia day until after the episode (Shatner I recognized sooner). I had forgotten how good a singer she is from Dr Horrible's Sing-Along Blog. I've listened to it a lot already.
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

Well that episode was super meta. Like very super meta. Yet another very strong episode for this season. I loved Glimmer with the copy spell and how she said she learned it in the first place. Those two foals were cute as heck and I loved how they used so many meta arguments from the fan base and then showed why they were flawed. That song was great and it alone gave good characterization to the mane 6 and showed how they are flawed yet have grown along with the episode itself. The lesson at the end was great and was likely very cathartic for the writers that even if they only help one or two people with the show it was worth it in the end. 9/10 very strong but maybe a bit too meta for some of the younger members of the fan base to get. Though it should be interesting years down the line when they look back on the show like adults do now with shows they watched as a kid.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

I liked that "take that" at the fans. :P I've never been a fan of fandoms that just complain all the time. Enjoying things is so much more fun!

I do say I think it'd be hilarious if some of the fans made shipping remarks but I understand they're still squeamish about that (what with Lyra and Bon-Bon being BEEEEEEEST FRIIIIIIENDS.) I can interpret the person who's way too invested in whether or not Pinkie Pie and Applejack are related as a shipper though.
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

Man there are so many people taking this episode the wrong way. A lot of people seem to think that this episode was DHX and Hasbro telling us that they hate all bronies. Which it is obviously not, its just poking a bit of fun at the crazier side of fandoms and how some of the criticism levied at the show are kind of unfounded and basically amounts to people not paying attention to things. The moral of the episode was clearly (in a meta sense anyway) that the writers feel that even if there are a lot of arguments going on about things on the show if they can help some people by doing the show its worth it.
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

Sleet wrote:I do say I think it'd be hilarious if some of the fans made shipping remarks but I understand they're still squeamish about that (what with Lyra and Bon-Bon being BEEEEEEEST FRIIIIIIENDS.) I can interpret the person who's way too invested in whether or not Pinkie Pie and Applejack are related as a shipper though.
I think maybe they could have made a shipper work if they used someone outside the mane 6 as the love interest, like Cheese and Pinkie or Soarin and Dash. but It was fine without it.
my favorite was the group hounding Fluttershy.
I love the song, I listened to it 3 times
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

How could people seriously think that the people who made episode 100 hate their older fans?
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

Sleet wrote:How could people seriously think that the people who made episode 100 hate their older fans?
Because it pointed out that a lot of their arguments are silly and they are missing the point of the show by acting like that. It held up a bit of a mirror to the more insane side of the fandom and they didn't really like it. In their minds a little bit of "Hey here is why you are wrong and acting a bit silly" mean "We hate you all and want you to go away"

Edit: Just watched the newest episode: I thought this one was pretty good. As usual for these types of episodes, the beginning was hard to watch because I was just embarrassed for Spike and the others the whole time. However, Ember and Thorax were really great in this episode Ember especially. I loved learning more about both of them and it was really nice that they became friends in the end.

I have to admit though it’s weird that no one (like say Twilight especially) brought up that since both of them are leaders of nations/species that even if they didn’t like each other they would have enough tact not to start a war right then and there. Especially since Ember came there to specially learn about friendship.

7/10 pretty good Thorax and Ember are the highlight of the episode.
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

I watched it twice and halfway through the second time I got distracted by Thorax's eyes. the very faint irises and the eye shine that seems to sometimes act like a pupil and other times like just eye shine.

but I liked it on my first viewing, I wasn't actually all that embarrassed for spike. I did kind of feel bad for Thorax getting abandoned so much.
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

That was pretty good. I guess Somnambula’s story will be in another episode; likely the finale? That is the only place I can see it fitting. Scardey Cat Scootaloo was cute, maybe played up a bit much but cute. Also, Dash being just terrible at being a big sister and getting them all trapped in that cave was fun to watch. I also love when she wanted to tell stories all about herself at the start of the episode.

The stories were nice as expected. I especially loved Mistmanes story for how they did the whole Asian look of the setting. Rockhoofs was a little silly on the ending but it’s setting was also good. Flash Magnus was nice and it was good to see Torch again. Also, I assume that other Dragon was his wife and thus Embers mom. Overall I give this one a 6/10 above average and it gave us some nice history/legends and a few things I didn’t expect.
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

my thoughts during the shadow puppets scene
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

That was a good episode. I loved Pharynx he was a jerk but it was always understandable and I liked how even after he left he never wanted to stop protecting the hive. Trixie and Starlight were great especially Starlights speech. The rest of the changelings showed off both the good side of embracing emotions and being nicer however they also showed off the bad side of it if you over do it you can become kind of an over sensitive wuss.

Pharynx becoming the Luna of the changelings was nice and I think Thorax was handled very nicely it was good to see his relationship with his brother. Also, young changelings are super cute! Overall I would give this one an 8/10 very good overall for an episode I have been waiting for.

Edit: Forgot to put up my thoughts on Daring Done? I thought this one was ok, Nothing super special but nothing bad either. It was nice to see more parts of equestria and Somnambula's story was good. Daring Do was the best part of the episode though and the moral was pretty well done if a bit heavy on the exposition at the end. While overall average it's still worth the watch. 5/10
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

Ok I really didn't expect much from this newest episode but I was quite surprised by how good it was. Rarity was fun to watch throughout the whole thing especially her freaking out. It was nice to see Zecora again who I really like when they use. Punk Rarity was great I really, really love that look on her. They used quite a few background characters very well and it was nice to see Applebloom visiting Burnt Oak in the background. Overall this was a surprising 8/10 for me.

Fun Fact: In My Little Pony 'n Friends (a.k.a. G1); all Ponies had the natural ability to regrow their hair at any point, as shown in the Episode The Glass Princess. I found this amusing to know while watching this episode.
The Blue Fox

Post by The Blue Fox »

IceKitsune wrote:Daring Done? I thought this one was ok, Nothing super special but nothing bad either. It was nice to see more parts of equestria and Somnambula's story was good. Daring Do was the best part of the episode though and the moral was pretty well done if a bit heavy on the exposition at the end. While overall average it's still worth the watch. 5/10
Eh. My gripe with Daring Done was I was expecting they'd go with some kinda invisible bridge, Indiana Jones And The Last Crusade style...not some random steam vents that had no business being there and were not set up AT ALL.

An invisible bridge would make sense. Somnambula was blindfolded, so she didn't see what the bridge was actually like.

And the episode as a whole was meh. The second I saw the "mysterious" pony in the hoodie badmouthing Daring Do, I KNEW it was that money-grabbing Cabeleron. It was so obviously him.

As for "The mane thing about you"...I actually wasn't expecting punk Rarity. That caught me a little off guard...the episode up to that point seemed to be Rarity just being her fashionista / drama queen self...of all the Mane 6, I feel Rarity's had the least amount of character growth. I see little to no change in her personality and flaws.
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

Another episode with Zecora! Finally, she gets much-needed screen time, not a whole lot but at least it's something. This one was good especially Lore wise. That dease is freaking dark if you think about it, I mean the infected become the tree that makes the flowers in the first place. That is crazy. Meddowbrook was a good character, honestly, she is one I would like to see a lot more of her journeys around Equestria. The lesson was actually great and something that is really true. I will say that it was a little weird that Twilight wasn't extremely concerned for Zecora but you could chalk that up to taking her own advice and taking care of herself as well, unlike Fluttershy. 7/10 for me.

Edit: I liked this episode, it didn't good as in-depth into Cutie Marks as I would have thought but it was a nice glimpse into how they are perceived which is better than nothing. Rumble was great and worked well as an antagonist to the CMC. Seeing Thunderlane get some screen time was nice and he is a good big brother. The song was good I enjoyed that a lot. It did drop the ball in not having Starlight appear though, it would have been perfect. Overall I would give this one a 6/10 for me.
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

Saw the movie in a theater tonight. I liked it, it felt kind of rushed in parts like is often the case with Pony things. I liked the new characters (except for grubber and the storm king but i didn't dislike them either) and the songs were great too. I'd probably give it and 8/10
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
CanzetYote

Post by CanzetYote »

RandomGeekNamedBrent wrote:Saw the movie in a theater tonight. I liked it, it felt kind of rushed in parts like is often the case with Pony things. I liked the new characters (except for grubber and the storm king but i didn't dislike them either) and the songs were great too. I'd probably give it and 8/10
Is it just me or does Grubber look like a fat, evil Bunga combined with Stitch?
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

New episode thoughts: I thought this one was pretty good Twilight missing the stars and her crying made me want to hug her. Iron Will was nice to see back even if he is portrayed as the villain more than I think is deserved. It was good to learn more about the whole family and the ending was really cute.

Flurry Heart was also adorable as heck and I loved her "playing" with the other Foals along with Cadance's reactions. Shining Armor tying so hard to not be sick was actually kind of funny as well. Overall I would give this one a 8/10, another solid episode.

Will be seeing the Movie Tuesday as that is the first day I will have off work. Also, rest of the Season leaked, be careful where you go if you want to avoid spoilers.

Edit: So I finally got to see the movie and honestly, I thought it was pretty good. Truth be told a lot of it felt like it was written far too much as a 4 parter for the show, and I could easily pick out where they would cut to credits during it. You could tell that it was TV show writers writing a movie.

The other major issue I had with it was Storm King. Who I think bordered on pointless, I came out of it feeling like if they had just made Tempest the main villain somehow and got rid of Storm King completely it would make the movie better. You learn nothing about him really and he is barely in it.

Everything else about it though I really enjoyed. The new characters were really cool and all of them I would love to see again except maybe Grubber who was just kind of there like Storm King. Tempest was far more interesting then I thought she would be, and was pretty intimidating. Capper ended up being my favorite with I think the best song out of all of them. As a fan of G1 I was happy to see Seaponies again and that whole thing was adorable until Twilight messed everything up.

Speaking of Twilight I don’t feel she would OOC like some are bringing up in other places, she was desperate and panicking. This is just how she is sometimes. Every one of the Mane 6 felt well written and just like the show. The new locations were great and honestly I kind of hope we get to see at least some of them again in Season 8 or at least some kind of mention.

Overall I would give it a 7/10 nearly an 8 but some of the issues drag it down too much.

EDIT: So this happened: Mike Vogel Confirms That Scootaloos Aunts are a Couple In Ponyville Mysteries Series Yeah, and considering that Mike Vogel writes for the show and, the Co-writer, Nicole Dubuc, just got promoted to executive producer/story editor on the show; I think it's fair to say this has a very high chance of being in the show itself at some point. Especially considering that some of Barrows stuff from the books became canon after she started as a writer on the show.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

The movie is going to leave theaters waaaay sooner than I'd like... I'm probably gonna have to watch it tomorrow by myself. :(

The newest episode was pretty fun! I love Pinkie being crazy.

EDIT: Finally saw the movie! It had some weak points, but I really enjoyed it! I loved Tempest.

I'm really confused that they did that whole thing with mistaking "hippo-" creatures yet at no point was it addressed that they found hippocamps.
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

Sleet wrote:The movie is going to leave theaters waaaay sooner than I'd like... I'm probably gonna have to watch it tomorrow by myself. :(

The newest episode was pretty fun! I love Pinkie being crazy.

EDIT: Finally saw the movie! It had some weak points, but I really enjoyed it! I loved Tempest.

I'm really confused that they did that whole thing with mistaking "hippo-" creatures yet at no point was it addressed that they found hippocamps.
But they did address it just not in that way; when Twilight was looking at the map she mentioned that Celestia must have meant Hippogriffs. Mentioning that Seaponies would be Hippocamps would have likely gone over most kids heads by miles (and some adults too honestly) so it likely seemed pointless.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

They don't really know what hippogriffs are either to be fair.

EDIT: The season finale was fun! I honestly had no idea there was a "proto-Elements of Harmony" being set up with all those legends. Guess they weren't overly blunt about it!
The Blue Fox

Post by The Blue Fox »

Oh man...the finale was epic...so many different points they brought up to add to the plot!

There was no time wasting, always something interesting happening, and everything contributed to the main plot of the finale!

So many payoffs from previous episodes, too.

Especially Starlight being the one to figure out there was more to the pony of shadows than meets the eye and bringing up the point that the map always took them to a friendship problem, not to vanquish something evil through-and-through. And, in the end, she was right!

I feel they missed a chance to bring back Ember to help out Spike and Rainbow dash with retrieving the sheild, though. I was expecting her to come outta nowhere and be like "hey, you leave the dragon ambassador of friendship alone!"
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

The finale was pretty amazing. It wasn't as epic as I was thinking it would be but it was still really good. The way they set it up through the season was very nice and each of the pillars got a nice bit of screen time. Also, I think I can say it, Starswirl the Bearded is a complete jerk. He seems to me to be that guy that is smart enough to be right about 99% of the time and therefore he gets away with doing basically anything he wants. And everyone is terrified of calling him out on stuff. Overall I would give this one a solid 9/10 for me. This whole season was very very good only a small few mediocre episodes and really no outright bad ones IMO.

As for the others that I didn't post about:

Secrets and Pies: This one was ok, better on rewatch then on first viewing. I liked a lot of Dash getting rid of the pies and Pinkie going crazy was funny as heck. However overall it was just a bit average 5/10
Uncommon Bond: I really liked this one. I loved Sunburst and Twilight nerding out and his interactions with Trixie and Maud felt very genuine. Starlight was great in this one as well, I really felt for her when she thought she had nothing in common with Sunburst. Overall a great episode and the tease at the end made it even better. 9/10
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

Ok, I wasn't going to post until season 8 started but this is just insane. TONS of concept things for season 8 and beyond have leaked. We know the plots for every episode of season 8 including COMPLETE EPISODES LEAKS with either no audio or only some for at least the first 10 episodes. Leaks also include Emails that about episode pitches/writing summits and how angry Hasbro is at stuff getting leaked and how they want the leaker arrested. There is other stuff about the Future of FIM and My Little Pony as a whole but I'm trying to be very careful here about what I should talk about. Basically just to say beyond season 8 it's just internal documents about where they are going with the franchise as a whole and not like episode leaks or premises. This is the craziest leak we have seen so far so BE VERY CAREFUL ON PONY SITES! If you don't want spoilers that is.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

It should go without saying: Do not post leaked information or even discuss episodes before they appear on television.