Useless Information Thread

Discuss everything else here

Moderator: ArcWolf

Douglas Collier

Re: Useless Information Thread

Post by Douglas Collier »

A dewlap is a flap of skin on an animal's lower jaw and/or neck. It is also the name of a dog in a dream I had once - pretty great name for a dog, I think.
Douglas isn't my real name, but because of a name block put on me by a higher-order being known as Djinni, I can't say my real name.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Male mosquitoes only drink plant nectar
Hlaoroo
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!

Post by Hlaoroo »

Douglas Collier wrote:A dewlap is a flap of skin on an animal's lower jaw and/or neck.
*nods* Lots of animals have them. Did you know female rabbits (does) will actually pull the fur from their dewlaps to line their nests for their kits? Motherly love! :)
Frostwood Forever! <3

My RP Characters

Avatar drawn by the amazing ScruffKerfluff!

Radio Blue Heart

Post by Radio Blue Heart »

Rage Against The Machine guitarist Tom Morello contributed the guitar segment to the score of the film "Pacific Rim".
"I have known hardship and learned to aid the wretched."
-Virgil
Cesco

Post by Cesco »

We can make a sneeze simply by looking at the sunny sky. It's called photic sneeze reflex.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

The microwave was invented after a researcher walked by a radar tube and a chocolate bar melted in his pocket.
dryideabat

Post by dryideabat »

Hurricane Wilma (2005) had the lowest barometric pressure measured for any hurricane in the Atlantic basin: 882mb (26.05 inches of Hg). That is comparable to the estimated pressure inside a violent tornado.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

The dot over the letter "i" is called a tittle.
InDaZone1219

Post by InDaZone1219 »

Hyperventilating too often will raise your blood pH level (respiratory alkalosis).
A steady, but luminous glow of power in the dark
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

A raisin dropped in a glass of fresh champagne will bounce up and down continually from the bottom of the glass to the top.
Hlaoroo
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!

Post by Hlaoroo »

Hlaoroo wrote:The chances of winnining the lottery (in a standard 40 number pool/seven number draw) are only 1 in 2.x10^11. To put that in perspective, if you took 2.x10^11 peas and lay them end-to-end they would encircle the equator 47.1 times!
To add some more mind-bogglingness to this fact I posted here earlier, if you took that many peas you could fill 35 Olympic-sized swimming pools and still have a couple of truckloads left over for dinner!
Or if you laid them end to end it would stretch from the Earth to the Moon and back 2.5 times!
Frostwood Forever! <3

My RP Characters

Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

People with higher incomes generally prefer their toilet paper to come over the roll, while those with lower incomes prefer it to go under.
Shadowstar23

Post by Shadowstar23 »

Cesco wrote:We can make a sneeze simply by looking at the sunny sky. It's called photic sneeze reflex.
Then I must be allergic to sunlight. Cause this happens all the time.
There is always a mystical adventure awaiting you. You just have to find it and take the first step into epicness.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Cotton candy was co-invented by a confectioner and a dentist
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

"Hey I have an idea. Let's make dental floss that's bad for your teeth!"
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

To escape the grip of a crocodile's jaws, push your thumbs into its eyeballs - it will let you go instantly.
Hlaoroo
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!

Post by Hlaoroo »

The adjective "shrieval" means "of, belonging to, or relating to sheriffs". So now you know. :)
Frostwood Forever! <3

My RP Characters

ArcWolf
Just An Arc

Post by ArcWolf »

Sleet wrote:"Hey I have an idea. Let's make dental floss that's bad for your teeth!"
It's actually kind of genius when you think about it.

More cotton candy means more tooth decay which means

fillings !
Just an Arc
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Mailing an entire building has been illegal in the U.S. since 1916 when a man mailed a 40,000-ton brick house across Utah to avoid high freight rates.
kurowolfe

Post by kurowolfe »

How is that even possible? Mailing a whole house? :?

In an MMORPG called Dragon Nest (the SEA server), there is a sort of a disagreement when it comes to the BGM for the main and most important hub world in the game, Saint Haven.

Initially, when the hub world first had its BGM changed, the South East Asia game publisher had commissioned an artist specializing in folk and Celtic music to create a BGM for the place, and it sounded like this. However, some players had complained in the game forums that the song doesn't really suit the image of the grand city, expecting more of an epic orchestral piece for such a majestic place similar to the one used in the North American servers. Erutan, the artist, even apologized in the linked video for disappointing the players who were expecting just that.

Then end of last year, Saint Haven got a makeover, and with it a new theme, the same grand orchestral piece that was used in the NA servers at the time, just like what the players had wanted. The song sounds like this. But by this time, most players have already gotten used to, and even loved the old theme, and began complaining again in the forums. Some even threatening to stop playing the game entirely. Those who like the new theme defended the song, and soon there was a squabble in the forums over it.

In the end, the publisher have had enough, and as of April 2014, used BOTH themes for the place, playing one after the other. It's kinda odd, sure, but at least everyone was happy after that. I personally prefer the old theme more, since it is so calming yet has that silent determined tone to it.

Applegate Appearance Cheat Sheet

Haq Dzi'ab (Blue Peaks Shore) || Mikan Kawabe (Applegate) || Hajime (Apollo City)
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

I would suspect mailing all of those bricks and pieces would have to be pricy SOMEHOW. :|
Drake wrote:useless info to most but; Gamecobra has/had a cat named Candycorn. Which I find to be an awesome name for a cat and sounds adorable
I wish I could call credit to the name, but my sister wins this round. I wanted to name him Chrono. She got the name from the Halloween treat and because he was a black cat. And I always thought I had good names :3
3 words - Liquid Metal Fur
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

If the population of China walked past you in single file, the line would never end because of the rate of reproduction.
Dissension

Post by Dissension »

If we took all the elephants on Earth and lined them up in space, end to end, between Earth and the Moon, the elephants would die.

people are the only things that matter; take care of yourselves and each other
ArcWolf
Just An Arc

Post by ArcWolf »

There probably wouldn't be enough elephant corpses to reach the moon.
Just an Arc
Hlaoroo
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!

Post by Hlaoroo »

The word "ranine" refers both to the underside of the tongue and to anything related to or characteristic of frogs.

I get to watch a total lunar eclipse, also known as a Blood Moon tonight. :)
Frostwood Forever! <3

My RP Characters

ArcWolf
Just An Arc

Post by ArcWolf »

Contrary to popular belief, the blood moon is not named after the countless elephants who gave their lives for science.
Just an Arc
Macsen

Post by Macsen »

Many arcade core systems either became the basis for, or were based on, home gaming consoles.

This is particularly true for Sega. The System 16 arcade system was the basis for Sega Mega Drive/Genesis. The ST-V system was based on Saturn, and Sega Naomi was based on Dreamcast.

Konami used Sony hardware in many of its earlier Bemani rhythm games, like Dance Dance Revolution. System 573 is based on the PlayStation, with both an Analog and a Digital version. (I don't know the exact difference.) Later games would run off an actual PlayStation 2, while current games in Japan are PC-based.

Namco's System 246 is also based on PS2. System 357 is based on the PS3. They also helmed "Triforce", co-produced with Sega and Nintendo, based on the Nintendo GameCube.
InDaZone1219

Post by InDaZone1219 »

The secret to manipulating an iPhone 6 is to metalbend it, as it has unique properties within.
A steady, but luminous glow of power in the dark
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Maine is the only state whose name is just one syllable
Hlaoroo
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!

Post by Hlaoroo »

In their original music video, the Village People never actually did the classic "spelling the letters with your arms" YMCA dance.
You can see for yourself here. They actually just clap a lot.
Mind = Blown
Frostwood Forever! <3

My RP Characters

Bucky-Roo

Post by Bucky-Roo »

Pitbulls were known as "Nanny Dogs" for children because of their friendliness, loyalty, and kindness.
Hello, my baby
Hello, my honey
Hello, my ragtime gaaal
Jacey
Location: inside a miniture submarine that is orbiting the earth.

Post by Jacey »

Useless fact: There are three different kinds of carts in the back room for merchandise at walmart, each with their own unique name. But two of them really are just the same cart but one is shorter.
RP Characters:
[All have gone on vacation]
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

A man named Angus McDonald was a lookout man for an explosives company in Johannesburg, South Africa. One April Fool's Day, he decided to pull the ultimate prank. He put on an oversized uniform and hid his head inside. To the casual passerby, it appeared that his head had been blown off. McDonald's joke blew up in his face, however. The story (and photo) was picked up by the newswires and McDonald was fired from his job.
Douglas Collier

-The speed of the earth's rotation causes the tides to move ahead of the moon - these pull on the moon, causing it to move faster, which causes it to move farther away from Earth (3.8 cm each year). Fortunately, the moon will probably never leave Earth's orbit (unless hit by a huge meteor).

If we had either no oceans or no land, this effect would be eliminated or slowed considerably.

-The moon's pull against the faster tides slows the earth's rotation by 2mm per century. Given time, the earth and moon would become tidally locked, meaning that the moon would only be visible on one side of the earth and the tides would be locked in place. This would also mean that a day on earth would last about a month (since it would be rotating at the same speed the moon orbits the earth).

- Without the moon, our planet's axis would wobble around erratically, and seasons would no longer be constant.
Douglas isn't my real name, but because of a name block put on me by a higher-order being known as Djinni, I can't say my real name.
ArcWolf
Just An Arc

Post by ArcWolf »

Lots of moon and tide facts.
Just an Arc
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Frenchman Michel Lotito has a very unusual diet. Born on June 15, 1950, he has been consuming large quantities of metal and glass since he was nine years old. To date, he has eaten supermarket carts, television sets, bicycles, chandeliers, razor blades, bullets, nuts and bolts, lengths of chain, phonograph records, computers, and an entire Cessna 150 light aircraft (which took him nearly two years to consume). It seems that his body has adjusted to this unusual diet, as he eats nearly two pounds of metal every day. His technique includes lubricating his digestive tract with mineral oil, cutting the parts into bite-size pieces, and then consuming a large quantity of water while eating this junk. Most people would prefer a nice glass of wine with their dinner.
Douglas Collier

Well, I guess he's getting plenty of iron in his diet! :lol: Can't imagine it'd be very healthy - imagine all the ulcers.
dryideabat

Post by dryideabat »

Eh, it still can't be less healthy than eating my cooking.

Anyway, here's one: if you see winds turning clockwise (counterclockwise) with height, that implies warm (cold) air advection. For example, if the winds near the surface are coming from the southeast and you see clouds aloft rolling in from the southwest/west, that implies that the temperature in your area will increase (via advection).
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Only continent without reptiles or snakes: Antarctica
yellowcrash10

Post by yellowcrash10 »

This is supposedly the 1,000th post to this thread.
*continues reading backlog of replies*

[edit] Also, if you put a bluetooth device near an old computer monitor, it messes with the display. If anyone knows why this happens, feel free to let me know, because I just tried looking it up and I can't find the reason why.
I break my computer, so you don't have to! :D
You copied my entire signature? How peculiar...
Given that AB≅AB, prove that AB≇AB.