Useless Information Thread

Discuss everything else here

Moderator: ArcWolf

Jacey
Location: inside a miniture submarine that is orbiting the earth.

Re: Useless Information Thread

Post by Jacey »

I know scientists are close to reaching absolute zero. But thought it wasn't possible.
So how do negative temperatures become hotter than normal?
RP Characters:
[All have gone on vacation]
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

I didn't say we could reach absolute zero. I said we can go below absolute zero.

In order to understand how it works, it helps to know the formal definition of temperature. Temperature is defined as dq/dS, or the derivative of heat with respect to entropy. Or, in layman's terms, higher temperature means increasing or decreasing the disorder of the system causes a greater change in heat. So in order for temperature to be negative, this derivative needs to be negative. What would cause that derivative to be negative? If increasing heat caused entropy (aka disorder) to go down, or vice-versa.

Particles can exist in different energy states. Adding thermal energy to the system causes particles to move to higher energy states. Under normal circumstances, higher energy states won't be occupied unless the lower ones are as well. But in the event that particles are mostly in higher energy states, this is a fairly low-entropy state (since the near-uniformity of high energy is "orderly"). Removing thermal energy causes some of these particles to drop to lower energy states, removing some of the conformity and increasing entropy. So in this scenario, decreasing heat increases entropy. So for this system, dq/dS is negative, and since temperature is dq/dS, temperature is also negative.
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
herobrineharry

Post by herobrineharry »

Oooooooooo.......kkkkkkkkkkkkkk.
St. Bernards never carried barrels of whiskey, rum, or any alcoholic beverage around their necks.
And drinking alcohol makes you get cold FASTER, as it diverts blood to the skin.
Forward, the Light Brigade!'
Was there a man dismay'd?
Not tho'(though) the soldiers knew
  Some one had blunder'd:
Theirs not to make reply,
Theirs not to reason why,
Theirs but to do and die:
Into the valley of Death
  Rode the six hundred.
Jacey

Post by Jacey »

Thank you sleet for the explanation.

Also another useless fact no one will care about; Batman has a super villain named Egghead. Imagine Mr. Freeze from the movies and his bad puns and turn the ice puns to egg puns. And you have the villain. Also he apparently was played by Vincent Price in the old batman show.
RP Characters:
ArcWolf
Just An Arc

Post by ArcWolf »

This isn't a useless information bit, but

Germany's about to win the World Cup.

I'd just like to have a loud "told you so."
ArcWolf wrote: Also Germany's probably going to win.
Just sayin'.
Just an Arc
Punchy

Post by Punchy »

Drake wrote:Also another useless fact no one will care about; Batman has a super villain named Egghead. Imagine Mr. Freeze from the movies and his bad puns and turn the ice puns to egg puns. And you have the villain. Also he apparently was played by Vincent Price in the old batman show.
That episode was awful, I hated the egg puns...
Vincent Price also appeared in an episode of Get Smart
Eli Wallach played Mr. Freeze in an episode of the old Batman t.v. series. He apparently received a lot of fan mail for that performance.
Panda Panda Panda
Jacey

Post by Jacey »

If you mean the Animated series, Punchy, yes he deserved that praise.
Speaking of that series, Batman: The Animated Series, was drawn in a style where they used black backgrounds and colored with bright colors. Over the normal black colors on white. This style gave Batman the unique style that made it so well liked.
RP Characters:
Kyuunado

Post by Kyuunado »

Spider-Man and Batman appear as Boss enemies in Revenge of Shinobi on the Sega Megadrive, Godzilla also appears. :P
The nine-tailed Kitsune of England.
I am Kyuunado Fureatsurī!
Want to talk? PM me or message at [email protected] and add me on Google+
Cesco

Post by Cesco »

Since in past you talked about Bir Tawil, the so called nobody's land, now there are developments about it...
ArcWolf wrote:This isn't a useless information bit, but

Germany's about to win the World Cup.

I'd just like to have a loud "told you so."
ArcWolf wrote: Also Germany's probably going to win.
Just sayin'.
And it won! Congrats, it was really deserved. ;)
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

Found this interesting tidbit just yesterday, but TV series director and writer Seth Kearsley explained last week that back in 2002, Disney had Sean write a script for a pilot episode for a Kingdom Hearts TV series. The reason it was apparently stopped was because Disney decided to stick with making games instead of a cartoon. He said they didn't think the idea was bad, it was just that they felt the best move was to focus on the games instead.

That's cute. X3
Last edited by GameCobra on Mon Jul 14, 2014 11:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
3 words - Liquid Metal Fur
Saturn381

Post by Saturn381 »

The Ed Wood film "Glen or Glenda" was originally going to be a biopic about Christine Jorgensen.
Punchy

Post by Punchy »

Today is the 100th anniversary of the First World War.
Panda Panda Panda
aBritishfox

Post by aBritishfox »

My favourite fact: Armadillos' inflate their bellies so they're able to float on water.
Did you know my friends call me "The Great Pontificator"! Or was it "The Great Time Waster"?

twitter: https://twitter.com/aBritishfox

Sometimes, being a Sentient Inflatable means air is the only answer for true happiness
The Blue Fox

Re: You Learn Something New Every Day

Post by The Blue Fox »

So today I learned that the saying "go commando" in reference to getting nekkid actually has its origins in World War 2...underwear was in short supply, so they just chose not to. Plus it was more comfortable for them when they walked through water or boggy swamp...underwear had a chafing tendency in those conditions.
Radio Blue Heart

Post by Radio Blue Heart »

"I have known hardship and learned to aid the wretched."
-Virgil
Hlaoroo
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!

Post by Hlaoroo »

They shall not grow old as we who are left grow old.
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going-down of the sun and in the morning we will remember them.
Lest We Forget.

In other news:
Reptiles can have blue, green or even yellow-looking blood due to their bodies producing different enzymes to those found in mammalian bodies.

England does not have an official National Anthem. "God Save The Queen" is the National Anthem of Britain (or in other words, the United Kingdom), not of England. Although it is used to represent England at sporting events and suchlike, it has never been officially adopted as the National Anthem for England. "Jerusalem" is used as the National Anthem for England in cricket and the Commonwealth Games and "Land Of Hope And Glory" is used when playing darts but again, neither of those songs have officially been recognised as an official National Anthem.
Frostwood Forever! <3

My RP Characters

Avatar drawn by the amazing ScruffKerfluff!

Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Britain isn't the same thing as the United Kingdom. North Ireland is the United Kingdom but not Britain.
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
Hlaoroo
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!

Post by Hlaoroo »

In the strict sense you're right but loosely speaking the words are occasionally used interchangeably.
Frostwood Forever! <3

My RP Characters

Anthroguy101

Hi again.

Post by Anthroguy101 »

Urine can have a pH between 4.6 and 8.
Vegas

Post by Vegas »

When asked for an autographed picture of Mickey Mouse, Walt Disney told Ub Iwerks to draw it and Walt would sign it. Ub quit on the spot, if I recall correctly.
Avi colored by me. Lineart from here.
ArcWolf
Just An Arc

Re: Hi again.

Post by ArcWolf »

Anthroguy101 wrote:Urine can have a pH between 4.6 and 8.
Building on that:

The kangaroo rat's uric acid is so concetrated there is little to no water loss.

This also means the kangaroo rat can get most, if not all, of its water from its food.

Isn't that craaaaaaAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAaaaaaaaaazy?
Just an Arc
Hlaoroo
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!

Post by Hlaoroo »

There's actually a few animals that can do that.
Quolls being one, funnily enough.
Koalas another. Koalas only eat certain types of gum leaves and can get up to 90% of the moisture they need from their diet. It's a common myth that their name comes from an Aboriginal word meaning "no drink". In actual fact, the original meaning of the word, and in fact the word "koala" is derived from is not known.
Also, Koalas are NOT bears, nor are they related to them, nor do they even look like them. Get that right, America! :P
Frostwood Forever! <3

My RP Characters

herobrineharry

Post by herobrineharry »

Welsh has no word for blue. Glas defines part of the color green, technically, although it is used to mean blue.
  Some one had blunder'd:
Into the valley of Death
  Rode the six hundred.
Obbl
Smiley McSmiles

Post by Obbl »

Color words are always fun. They seem to take a while to develop in languages. For example: Black and Bleach share a common root. ;)
Blue originally meant pale or pallid and was used to refer to yellow things as well as blue, and the sea would not have been referred to as blue because there was a word that encompassed all the colors of the sea (blues, greens, and greys). Blue and Green tend to take a while to separate into individual colors. In Japanese the word for blue - ao, 青 - originally referred to all shades of blue/green, and was commonly used as such up through the 1940s. Thus green apples (and many green vegetables) are still called "blue", and the green traffic signal is also "blue" though it is no different from the traffic lights Americans call "green".
Vegas

Post by Vegas »

Obbl wrote:Color words are always fun. They seem to take a while to develop in languages. For example: Black and Bleach share a common root. ;)
Blue originally meant pale or pallid and was used to refer to yellow things as well as blue, and the sea would not have been referred to as blue because there was a word that encompassed all the colors of the sea (blues, greens, and greys). Blue and Green tend to take a while to separate into individual colors. In Japanese the word for blue - ao, 青 - originally referred to all shades of blue/green, and was commonly used as such up through the 1940s. Thus green apples (and many green vegetables) are still called "blue", and the green traffic signal is also "blue" though it is no different from the traffic lights Americans call "green".
Huh, that's actually pretty interesting because in the Sailor Moon song "Ai no Senshi," there's a line that basically translates "wake up blue Soldiers of Love," but a translator note I read said it was basically the Japanese equivalent to "green," in the sense that they're rookies. I didn't know there was more to it.
Although, it's also kind of weird as the song first showed up in the second series, Sailor Moon R, and they aren't exactly rookies by that point...
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

See also: Part of why Pokémon Blue was Pokémon Green in Japan.
herobrineharry

Post by herobrineharry »

all languages develop color words in the same order.
  Some one had blunder'd:
Into the valley of Death
  Rode the six hundred.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

he oldest business in the United States of America is the cymbal company Zildjian which was founded in Constantinople in 1623.
Cm4F

Post by Cm4F »

The PLU code for lemons is 4053.
ImageImage

I fought dyslexia, and I won!
Vegas

Post by Vegas »

The character Sabrina Spellman predates both I Dream of Jeanie and Bewitched. Sabrina made her first appearance in Archie's Madhouse #22 in 1962, and was very different from how we see her today. Originally, Sabrina was often told that she needed to use her spells to harass mortals and called ugly, despite being one of the prettiest characters in the Archie universe. It wasn't until the 1990's with the introduction of the live action sitcom that witches were to be good.
Also, originally Salem was a regular orange cat.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Coca-Cola was originally green
The Blue Fox

Post by The Blue Fox »

Santa Claus wasn't originally red...he's only red because he's sponsored by Coca-Cola or something like that. Originally, his jolly santa suit was brown...and then he wore green for a bit...some believe he also wore blue at one point...before being given the Coca-Cola Red and White he's known for today.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Way back on August 13, 1903, police entered the Liverpool, England home of William and Emily Shortis. Worried friends had contacted the authorities because the couple had not been seen for several days prior. There they found William near death. Oddly, he was pinned under the dead body of his 224 pound wife. Did she die during a moment of passion? Not at all. The coroner concluded that William was following Emily up the stairs of their home when she lost her balance and tumbled down the steps, pulling him down with her. Emily immediately died from a blow to the head, trapping William under her body for over three days. Sadly, William did not survive his injuries, either.

Admittedly, that one is a little morbid.
Vegas

Post by Vegas »

Rumor has it Karrin Murphy and Susan Rodriguez from The Dresden Files were both inspired by Elisa Maza from Gargoyles. Karrin got Elisa's hard as nails personality while Susan got Elisa's looks. Gentleman John Marcone was also inspired by a Gargoyles character, David Xanatos.
ArcWolf
Just An Arc

Post by ArcWolf »

Pi was nearly changed to 3.2 as an amateur mathematician from Indiana
proposed his therom to the state legislature.

It didn't pass.

This fact brought to you by dividing your circumference by your diameter
(Assuming you're a circle)
Just an Arc
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

"Weird" Al Yankovic received a Bachelor's degree in Architecture in 1981. He also served as valedictorian of his high school at age 16.
Jacey

Post by Jacey »

Amazee Dayzee wrote:"Weird" Al Yankovic received a Bachelor's degree in Architecture in 1981. He also served as valedictorian of his high school at age 16.
Awesome fact. I wonder what he thinks of not going through with that degree
RP Characters:
Render
Wanna play a game?

Post by Render »

ArcWolf wrote:Pi was nearly changed to 3.2 as an amateur mathematician from Indiana
proposed his therom to the state legislature.

It didn't pass.

This fact brought to you by dividing your circumference by your diameter
(Assuming you're a circle)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V98soOyQWKY
ImageIf life gives you lemons, ask for salt and tequila.

Image Image
ImageImageImage
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Hey, that works on nerds. :P
JeffCvt

Post by JeffCvt »

Amazee Dayzee wrote:"Weird" Al Yankovic received a Bachelor's degree in Architecture in 1981. He also served as valedictorian of his high school at age 16.
Drake wrote:Awesome fact. I wonder what he thinks of not going through with that degree
Actually, he tried for a while to apply for some high level positions that required a Bachelor's degree. The only problem was that he was TOO young at the time and no one wanted to hire him with the kind of pay they'd have to give him as his age.
Jeff "Clavy" Civit