Reading Thread/Discussion

Discuss everything else here

Moderator: ArcWolf

Obbl
Smiley McSmiles

Re: Reading Thread/Discussion

Post by Obbl »

Just read Agatha Christie's "And Then There Were None", and was quite pleased with it. Really interesting read, all sorts of psychological tidbits in there that kept me really entertained. And I did not expect the ending.
Oh, hey look, Housepets! is doing a parody of it. What a coincidence :D
rollingWolf

Post by rollingWolf »

I don't know about you guys but I like reading on my iphone/ipad. Doesnt differ much from reading a pocket imho. You can have tens of thousands of books without needing a inter dimensional bag of holding just to carry 3.
¡pɐǝɥ ɹnoʎ buıɥsnɹɔ ɯı ¡pɐǝɥ ɹnoʎ buıɥsnɹɔ ɯı
Foxstar
BIG BROTHER IS WATCHING YOU

Post by Foxstar »

Currently reading The House of Hades. Good stuff.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

The screen just doesn't feel like a real book, to me.
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
Seth
Moshpit Addict

Post by Seth »

Just finished As I lay dying. Faulkner is rad guys. I need to read more of him. Next time I go out and buy some books (which might be a while I have an overflowing bookcase as it is) I think I'll grab some more of his stuff. his stuff can be hard to follow but he has a lot of those sublime little lines that really get at the kind of things that a lot of people feel but can't quite articulate.
I think in Non-sequiturs

"I told you not to put metal in the science oven! What'd you do that for?"

Trash boiz
Spawtzi

Post by Spawtzi »

Gosh, I haven't read anything interesting lately besides The Hunger Games, and one of the most recent Warriors book, Dawn of the Clans #2 (Not the most recent, but fairly so).
Have some silly nonsense Clearsky related Warriors Spoilers:
Clearsky's a real genuine buttfaced foxheart. He kicked out that poor injured cat, 'cause his wound wasn't healing. And he kicked out Thunder D:< He's got a cold butt for a heart, methinks.
Rainbow
Foxstar

Post by Foxstar »

Currently reading anything from OSC I can get my hands on.
Goforit
Weather Wizard

Post by Goforit »

Sleet wrote:The screen just doesn't feel like a real book, to me.
Can relate to this. Was trying to read some Sherlock homes stories that I found for free on iBooks or iLibrary or whatever the iApp is for reading things. Got tired of it and found a collected works version at a Barnes and Noble in Oklahoma. Worth every penny!
Ask me about the weather.

Avatar by the amazing cartoonist Hukley!
Radio Blue Heart

Post by Radio Blue Heart »

I finished the second book in the "Worldwar" series called "Upsetting the Balance". Now I found out that there are not just two more books in the series, but there are two sequel series. In total, there are 8 books. I have a lot of reading ahead of me if I want to see how this ends.
"I have known hardship and learned to aid the wretched."
-Virgil
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

Currently making my way through the Harry Potter series for the first time in forever. Having a blast, forgot how good these books are.
deepskycyan

Post by deepskycyan »

Goforit wrote:
Can relate to this. Was trying to read some Sherlock homes stories that I found for free on iBooks or iLibrary or whatever the iApp is for reading things. Got tired of it and found a collected works version at a Barnes and Noble in Oklahoma. Worth every penny!
I used to feel the same way, but when exam period rolled about, I found that taking one ebook with you on your travels is waay more convenient than taking three textbooks. Also, I thought it was nice how you could easily highlight and add/erase notes to your digital book. Yes, one could argue that you could do the same with a normal book, but then, you haven't seen my scribbled out textbooks.

Also, the batteries don't run dry in a day. Its more like two months. Don't know why everybody's complaining about that.
Ebooks also save paper. Save trees, guys!

As of what I'm reading; currently "Pride and prejudice". A little too dull for my tastes, but a good read nonetheless.
"Reality continues to ruin my life." -B. Watterson
Dissension

Post by Dissension »

Goforit wrote:
I used to love my kindle. My workplace then banned them and I didn't make time for reading from it while I was home, so it died. It just displays the 'please recharge' screen regardless of how long it's plugged into a PC or wall outlet.

people are the only things that matter; take care of yourselves and each other
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

That's sad. :(
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
Seth
Moshpit Addict

Post by Seth »

That's why I just buy old paperbacks. The battery life is great.

I read a couple short stories by kafka and Chekhov over break. THe Penal colony by Kafka was amazing and really stuck with me. I'm even throwing it into a screenplay I'm writing as a fun little reference.
Chekhov is always good. I've been on a russian lit. kick lately (probably because I could relate to the whole "it's cold and nobody is happy" style of writing while I was in lansing over spring second winter break) I started Crime and Punishment and it's amazing so far.
I'm debating whether to read some Chuck Klosterman my friend loaned me, the portrait of Dorian Gray, or the Trial by kafka next. Somebody help! :p
I think in Non-sequiturs

Trash boiz
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

I've been meaning to find and read Ulysses sometime.
Dissension

Post by Dissension »

I read non-fiction almost exclusively.

people are the only things that matter; take care of yourselves and each other
deepskycyan

Post by deepskycyan »

Reviving this thread because everyone needs to read more :3

Just finished John Green's "The Fault In Our Stars" today, all in one sitting (of which I'm pretty proud of, I'm a very slow reader).
In my opinion, the book was average-good. I've heard reviews both positive and negative for this book, but personally, I can't really say I agree with either side. For those who are not familiar with the story (no spoilers); its an account of the life, love and struggle of a sixteen year old "cancer kid".
To start, I found the story rather gripping and compelling for a light romance novel. Foreshadowing is in abundance, lovely metaphors. Fictional situations were somewhat relatable and quotes were usually deep and memorable. The writing style is 'different' but not unpleasant.
Many people have stated that the novel is a masterpiece and truly conveys human emotion in tough times. However, I personally did not find the book that amazing, but I keep telling myself that I couldn't feel for the characters because I do not have a life-endangering disease, or have found love. Really, given the amount of people who have told me that they cried after reading this, I thought I would too, being a rather sensitive person and all that, but alas, I didn't (which is probably a good thing, now that I think about it). Perhaps I should wait some time and give this book another chance.
Just wanted to share :)
"Reality continues to ruin my life." -B. Watterson
Shadowstar23

Post by Shadowstar23 »

I recommend the Age of Fire series by E.E. Knight.
There is always a mystical adventure awaiting you. You just have to find it and take the first step into epicness.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Sleet wrote:I've been meaning to find and read Ulysses sometime.
And now I'm actually working on that. Jeez this book is hard to read. But it's interesting! *giggles*
Jacey
Location: inside a miniture submarine that is orbiting the earth.

Post by Jacey »

Oh good a reading thread!
Penwrite wrote:Currently making my way through the Harry Potter series for the first time in forever. Having a blast, forgot how good these books are.
I am currently making my way through that series for the first time ever. I am liking it so far and just at book 2.

Also (since the George R. R. Martin was mentioned), I have been reading through a series called "The Pendragon Series" It's Historical Fiction and starts with Taliesin, sort of a love story, but action and Atlantis. It acts mature and the author is not afraid of being mature (For example a certain character is killed by an arrow) any way the Author is Stephen Lawhead.
Besides that I finished Lord of the Rings finally. It took me forever to finish the third novel for some reason.
I also recent got the Dragonriders of Pern "trilogy" at a used book sale.
RP Characters:
[All have gone on vacation]
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Killing people with arrows is mature? *headtilts*
Jacey

Post by Jacey »

I was erring on the side of caution.
RP Characters:
Foxstar

Post by Foxstar »

I'm currently slogging though Mistborn:The Final Empire.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Crimson wrote:I was erring on the side of caution.
I mean, things like violence, sex and vulgar language are not "mature." When video games (to my knowledge the only medium to use the label) are described as "Mature," that means "only mature audiences should partake," not "this is mature."
Jacey

Post by Jacey »

Sleet wrote:
Crimson wrote:I was erring on the side of caution.
I mean, things like violence, sex and vulgar language are not "mature." When video games (to my knowledge the only medium to use the label) are described as "Mature," that means "only mature audiences should partake," not "this is mature."
Right.
well still, the books are fun reads one you can get through the first few chapters.
RP Characters:
Seth
Moshpit Addict

Post by Seth »

Started reading a collection of short stories by Chekhov I picked up last week.
I FORGOT HOW MANY FEELS RUSSIANS MAKE ME FEEL!
I think in Non-sequiturs

Trash boiz
TheCactipus

Post by TheCactipus »

I started reading A Storm of Swords two days ago. I looked up today and noticed
I was on page 556. All for the best, I can't wait to get caught up to where the show currently is...
"Votes for women, step in time!"
AstroOtter

Post by AstroOtter »

I've just finished "Rocket Racoon and Groot: Steal the Galaxy!", a novel by frequent Guardians of the Galaxy writer and professional raccoon wrangler Dan Abnett.
Lots of action, lots of wacky. And a good bit of Gamora, too.
Creature of chaos with long slender body, heavy tail, and clever hands. I am to water as a dragon is to fire. And I'm adorable.
Jacey

Post by Jacey »

Today I bought "Lord Brocktree" Its part of the redwall series.
and got some free book that I am not sure of yet.
RP Characters:
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Have you read the earlier ones?
Jacey

Post by Jacey »

On redwall? No, but this is supposed to be the first on chronological order in the story. It also was the only one available to get through kindle.
RP Characters:
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

That's odd. I haven't gotten far in the series but I'm reading in publishing order. There's very little you get from having read other books in the series, so reading them chronologically isn't too important.
herobrineharry

Post by herobrineharry »

Welcome to redwall! Do you need a abbey? Make them out of all these repetitive books! (Please take them, we have so many)
Forward, the Light Brigade!'
Was there a man dismay'd?
Not tho'(though) the soldiers knew
  Some one had blunder'd:
Theirs not to make reply,
Theirs not to reason why,
Theirs but to do and die:
Into the valley of Death
  Rode the six hundred.
Vegas

Post by Vegas »

I'm re reading Spider-Man: Wanted Dead or Alive one of Marvel's prose novels from around the 80's-90's. I kinda like how it references The Venom Factor trilogy (a Spider-Man trilogy that was written by Diane Duane). I'm seeing a lot of problems with the writing in it's sentence structure, but, it gets better as it goes. Other than that, I'm also reading Maus which is both interesting and depressing.
Avi colored by me. Lineart from here.
Radio Blue Heart

I finished reading Clive Barker's "Books of Blood" collection. "Rawhead Rex" and "Midnight Meat Train" are my favorites.
-Virgil
Jacey

Post by Jacey »

Vegas wrote:I'm re reading Spider-Man: Wanted Dead or Alive one of Marvel's prose novels from around the 80's-90's. I kinda like how it references The Venom Factor trilogy (a Spider-Man trilogy that was written by Diane Duane). I'm seeing a lot of problems with the writing in it's sentence structure, but, it gets better as it goes. Other than that, I'm also reading Maus which is both interesting and depressing.
I have one of those books by Dian Duane. I forgot the title, and can't seem to find it though.
RP Characters:
Vegas

Post by Vegas »

Drake wrote:
Vegas wrote:I'm re reading Spider-Man: Wanted Dead or Alive one of Marvel's prose novels from around the 80's-90's. I kinda like how it references The Venom Factor trilogy (a Spider-Man trilogy that was written by Diane Duane). I'm seeing a lot of problems with the writing in it's sentence structure, but, it gets better as it goes. Other than that, I'm also reading Maus which is both interesting and depressing.
I have one of those books by Dian Duane. I forgot the title, and can't seem to find it though.
I have all three, and am thinking about rereading them since they're my favorites of the Spidey novels, though Lizard Sanction is easily the weakest of the trilogy.
Avi colored by me. Lineart from here.
Shadowstar23

Post by Shadowstar23 »

Reading the Wereworld series. Quite interesting.
There is always a mystical adventure awaiting you. You just have to find it and take the first step into epicness.
Radio Blue Heart

I just read a Nation Geographic book called "Deadly Instinct" about predatory animals from around the world. It was a good read if it was short from the all the photo spreads.

Today I got two books that I thought I would never get copies of because of their cost due to being out of print for a long time. "The Godzilla Compendium", which is a history of the Godzilla film series from the first film to the end of the "showa" series; And "The Zombies That Ate Pittsburgh: The Films of George A. Romero", which is of course about the life and art of one of my favorite directors.

I just had to trade a printer paper box of comics for them.
-Virgil
Foxstar

Post by Foxstar »

I'm just finishing up with The Blood of Olympus for the second time. It's so very good.