Reading Thread/Discussion

Discuss everything else here

Moderator: ArcWolf

Hlaoroo
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!

Re: Reading Thread/Discussion

Post by Hlaoroo »

I've currently rereading The Chronicles of Narnia". I can't recommend that series enough!

I also recently read one of the Isaac Bell mysteries written by Clive Cussler. It was a refreshing change from Cussler's usual material.

Additionally, I just read Digital Photography for Dummies. It wasn't as informative as I'd hoped but it did clear up a few things for me so I'm sure it was worth the read overall. It's very much a beginners' guide though and I'm a little past that stage. :P
Frostwood Forever! <3

My RP Characters

Avatar drawn by the amazing ScruffKerfluff!

deepskycyan

Post by deepskycyan »

Just finished "One Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich" by Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn. Interesting and insightful read indeed.

Picked up "Let it Snow" by John Green, Maureen Johnson and Lauren Myracle.
Just in time for Christmas~ :D
"Reality continues to ruin my life." -B. Watterson
Douglas Collier

Post by Douglas Collier »

Hlaoroo wrote:I've currently rereading The Chronicles of Narnia". I can't recommend that series enough!
Agreed. ;) I think my favorite book in the series was "A Horse and His Boy"
Douglas isn't my real name, but because of a name block put on me by a higher-order being known as Djinni, I can't say my real name.
Deske

Post by Deske »

I'm currently reading Ender's Game for school. It's a really good book, quick read but pretty interesting.

I still need to pick up the Chronicles of Narnia. I hear it's good but I can't really be for sure since none of my friends read it.
JeffCvt

Post by JeffCvt »

I'm in the middle of reading Just After Sunset, a book that's a bunch of short stories by Stephen King. It's pretty interesting to see the difference between his short stories and his novels, and realizing just how much his writing style affected me when I first started writing without me knowing it.
Jeff "Clavy" Civit
Bucky-Roo

Post by Bucky-Roo »

I'm catching up on classics like Romeo and Juliet.
When I get really bored of that book, I have an easier read. "The Dragonet Prophecy" by Tui. Sutherland is an entertaining read. I never thought I could ship so many characters in one book.
Hello, my baby
Hello, my honey
Hello, my ragtime gaaal
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I recently got sucked back into "And Then There Were None" by Agatha Christie. It kind of is annoying that all the movie versions of it either changed the way that each character died and/or kept the final two character alive to fall in love with each other. Here is how they all original died:

Anthony Marston - Poisoned with potassium cyanide
Ethel Rogers - Poisoned with chloral hydrate
John Macarthur - Bludgeoned with a life preserver; apparently they can take life as well as end it
Thomas Rogers - Bludgeoned with an axe
Emily Brent - Sedated with chloral hydrate and then given a lethal injection of potassium chloride
Lawrence Wargrave - The killer; he faked his murder from a gunshot to the head and then committed suicide for real at the end
Edward Armstrong - Fell to his death and drowned in the sea after Margrave pushed him off a cliff
William Blore - Had a heavy bear clock dropped on his head
Philip Lombard - Shot by Vera Claythorne; kept alive in the movie
Vera Claythorne - Committed suicide by hanging; kept alive in the movie
Isaac Morris - The one who gave Wargrave the island and who caused the death of his friend's daughter; he was poisoned with an overdose of barbiturates that Wargrave gave him

Not even Rick got all the deaths right.
Seth
Moshpit Addict

Post by Seth »

Started beyond good and evil. Nietzsche definitely has a flair for the poetic.
I also started Thinner, one of the novels Stephen king wrote under his pseudonym. It's not great king but still a cool read and a deliciously evil premise.
I think in Non-sequiturs

"I told you not to put metal in the science oven! What'd you do that for?"

Trash boiz
ds-al-coda

Post by ds-al-coda »

As a dare, my friend asked me to read Finnegan's Wake about 3 weeks ago.

I'm on chapter 5 and I can slowly feel my sanity draining away...
translation thread here
tumblr here

i've been away for too long, expect something soon.
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

Deske wrote:I'm currently reading Ender's Game for school. It's a really good book, quick read but pretty interesting.

I still need to pick up the Chronicles of Narnia. I hear it's good but I can't really be for sure since none of my friends read it.
I love Ender's Game. I enjoyed the first book in Chronicles of Narnia, but I couldn't get into the rest of the series that much.

I haven't done a lot of reading for pleasure since I graduated high school. I'm making a New Year's resolution to read more and I've already got a couple of books on my list. I want to read Commitment Hour by James Alan Gardner, more books by John Green, and finish The House of Night Series.

The most recent book I have read is The Fault In Our Stars. Gosh I really love that book.

I enjoy the Young Adult genre but as I approach my 20's I sometimes find myself caught betwixt not wanting to read "grownup" pulp fiction, but not being able to handle the teenage angst when the protagonist of a book is 14 or 15 years old.
Let me tell you about Homestuck.
Hlaoroo
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!

Post by Hlaoroo »

Here's a review of my most recent read:

The Road To Somewhere – Edited by Robert Graham, Helen Newall, Heather Leach, John Singleton

A collaborative work from half a dozen published authors, The Road To Somewhere is a comprehensive guide to the art of writing. Suitable for writers, poets and playwrights of all skill levels, the book provides useful information and practical advice on everything from the early stages of idea formation to being published and beyond. Written in an easy-to-understand and somewhat informal format, reading the book feels as though you’re sitting across from the authors and having a friendly chat.
As well as providing information on virtually every topic relating to writing, including tips for combating writers’ block and generating ideas and information on choosing a publisher, the book includes dozens of handy exercises and examples to verify the statements of the authors and to get the creative juices flowing. You’re sure to rush off to grab a pen and paper to try out the helpful hints and prompts you’ll find in the book.
Although I sadly have not got as much time as I would like to write, this book has provided me with a fresh outlook on writing and many of the keys required to becoming a successful author. It’s also very well-referenced with well close to two hundred other books referenced and recommended for further reading, conveniently sorted by topic.
This book is surely one-of-a-kind and I highly recommend it to anyone interested in writing, be they a beginner just starting out on their first short story or an acclaimed author with twenty best-sellers under their belt.
Frostwood Forever! <3

My RP Characters

SergeiTheFox

Post by SergeiTheFox »

I'm currently reading a book called "Mustaine: A Heavy Metal Memoir". It is a book written by the original lead guitarist of Metallica and creator of Megadeth, Dave Mustaine. It is a very interesting look at his life through his eyes, although, it is definitely a mature book. It is filled with coarse language, sexual content, violence, and excessive drug abuse. It does make a really good read though.
oh hey look more text

now it looks pretty

and slanted uwu

I check this profile like once a year or so, so if you need to reach me I'm on telegram @awootimestwo
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

ds-al-coda wrote:As a dare, my friend asked me to read Finnegan's Wake about 3 weeks ago.

Good Lord. I'm still trying to work through Ulysses and it's super draining. And I'm told Finnegan's Wake is to Ulysses as Ulysses is to a normal book.
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Ouch. I hope you will be able to push through.
Radio Blue Heart

Post by Radio Blue Heart »

I started reading Franz Kafka's "The Trial". I read "The Metamorphosis" and was impressed. As a state employee I can appreciate the bizarre and baffling spider's web of bureaucracy.
"I have known hardship and learned to aid the wretched."
-Virgil
Seth
Moshpit Addict

Post by Seth »

Dude the Trial is so good. I think it's as good as the metamorphosis (though I definitely prefer the latter)

I recently started Stephen King's Thinner, which he wrote as Richard Bachman. I love his Bachman stuff, this one starts kinda slow but it's really picking up speed.
I think in Non-sequiturs

Trash boiz
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

Reading the novelization of the film Alien. Pretty good, captures the mood and world right, though I think it's based on an earlier script, lol.
Foxstar
BIG BROTHER IS WATCHING YOU

Post by Foxstar »

I'm currently reading the Wing Commander Novel series. Very good read.
ArcWolf
Just An Arc

Post by ArcWolf »

Re-reading The Poisonwood Bible.

This time, I'll actually process the words.
Just an Arc
ds-al-coda

Post by ds-al-coda »

Sleet wrote:
ds-al-coda wrote:As a dare, my friend asked me to read Finnegan's Wake about 3 weeks ago.

Good Lord. I'm still trying to work through Ulysses and it's super draining. And I'm told Finnegan's Wake is to Ulysses as Ulysses is to a normal book.
I'm on chapter 8 now and I still have no idea what the heck is going on.
A good plot summary would be 'a surreal exploration of a man/woman/whatever's psyche while on several illicit substances.'
translation thread here
tumblr here

Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I hope they aren't in a lethal combination.
ds-al-coda

Post by ds-al-coda »

Amazee Dayzee wrote:I hope they aren't in a lethal combination.
I'm pretty sure Mr. Joyce was high for 17 years straight.
translation thread here
tumblr here

Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Then that would explain it.
SergeiTheFox

Post by SergeiTheFox »

I am re-reading Kathryn Lasky's "Wolves of the Beyond". I want Faolan as a pet so much! You could not possibly fathom how many snuggles he would receive :lol:
oh hey look more text

now it looks pretty

and slanted uwu

I check this profile like once a year or so, so if you need to reach me I'm on telegram @awootimestwo
dtlux1

Post by dtlux1 »

I asked my old teacher (who was the best teacher ever) what he would recommend for me to read, as I remember him having us read good books in school. He sent a list of books, and I put some on my Christmas list. Let me just say now, the only gifts I got that were not books were from Santa. Everyone else got me a book from the list, and I only expected one or two.

I am currently reading Fahrenheit 451. It is a good book, I forget some of the other books I got, but later I will look at them and post them here. :D
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I never got around to reading it, but maybe I should read it since I hear it is a good book.
Seth
Moshpit Addict

Post by Seth »

You should it's a great book. I absolutely loved it.
Really just read any bradbury you can get your hands on.
I think in Non-sequiturs

Trash boiz
Bucky-Roo

Post by Bucky-Roo »

That book is awesome. :D
It's definitely one the best books I have ever read.
Hello, my baby
Hello, my honey
Hello, my ragtime gaaal
dtlux1

Post by dtlux1 »

Let me just say, that when I got that book, my mom mentioned it being too old for her. That was great. :D

So far the book is great, I am about 1/3 through it. I would highly recommend it at the point I am at, even saying it is one of the best books I have read. I need to get back to it, stupid Christmas gifts distracting me. :P
SergeiTheFox

Post by SergeiTheFox »

I finished reading "Wolves of the Beyond" (again) and I recently started reading a book titled "Whiskey Tango Foxtrot", which is proving to be an interesting book. After I finish that, I'm going to start reading a book titled "Hacker, Hoaxer, Whistleblower, Spy: The Many Faces Of Anonymous".
oh hey look more text

now it looks pretty

and slanted uwu

dtlux1

Post by dtlux1 »

SergeiTheFox wrote:I finished reading "Wolves of the Beyond" (again) and I recently started reading a book titled "Whiskey Tango Foxtrot", which is proving to be an interesting book. After I finish that, I'm going to start reading a book titled "Hacker, Hoaxer, Whistleblower, Spy: The Many Faces Of Anonymous".
That book that you are going to start reading sounds interesting. I like looking onto that kind of stuff. :D
Kitela

Post by Kitela »

Currently reading Big Weather by Mark Svenvold.
It's a fascinating book about tornado chasing and the culture behind it. I'm in the third chapter and will review it when I'm done.

After this, I plan to read Isaac Asimov's science fiction book, Nemesis. Just a book I randomly picked out at a bookstore. (I'm very new to science fiction and all other fiction)
Seth
Moshpit Addict

Post by Seth »

I'm about half way through re-reading cannery row (re-reading in the sense that I read it once but don't remember anything other than it being good) and it's such an amazing read. I remember why I love steinbeck so much, it almost reduced me to tears this morning. I can't remember the last time any media did that. Poweful stuff. Now I need to re-read East of Eden and Of Mice and Men, they were two of my favorite books in high school.
Also Nietzsche is my home boy. I'm about halfway through Beyond good and Evil and I definitely get why he's so popular. I got some of his other stuff for christmas so I guess that'll be next.
I think in Non-sequiturs

Trash boiz
Radio Blue Heart

Post by Radio Blue Heart »

I finished "The Trial". I did not expect it to end that way.

I have just got the updated edition of "Lords of Chaos", about the black metal scene. Its been a while since I read the last edition and I am interested to see what new information has been added.
"I have known hardship and learned to aid the wretched."
-Virgil
dtlux1

Post by dtlux1 »

I am still reading Fahrenheit 451. I have so many other books I need to read. I seem to be one of those people that wants to read a book, but never gets around to it. But then when they do get around to it, they can spend a few hours reading.

I really need to read more, this book is great. I love it.
FritzyBeat

Post by FritzyBeat »

Hlaoroo wrote:I've currently rereading The Chronicles of Narnia". I can't recommend that series enough!
Dude, those books are like my childhood <3<3<3 I reread them all at least once a year X3
Fino is coming, and he's bringing moon pizza.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

I need to reread that sometime. I remembered liking them, but being too young to appreciate them! It's a shame the movies dropped off fast.
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

Post by RandomGeekNamedBrent »

I read the Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe and started to read The Horse and his Boy (because I was severely unclear on what order the books belonged in) but never finished it since i was reading the copy in my 3rd grade classroom.
I should probably read them in the right order sometime
Paradigm Shift by me
I do not actually believe any of what I'm saying.
RP character sheets
Hlaoroo
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!

Post by Hlaoroo »

They are awesome books! I wish they'd make movies of the whole series. My favourite character is Reepicheep. :)

I recently read A Ghost In The Machine by Caroline Graham. It's a murder mystery set in a quiet town England. Although the murder didn't actually happen until page 164 the book was very engaging and really showed some depth and relatability in the characters. This book is in the series from which the TV series Midsomer Murders is based. Be warned that the murder in the book is rather graphically described and that there are some themes and language that's not forum-appropriate.
Frostwood Forever! <3

My RP Characters

dtlux1

Post by dtlux1 »

I finished Fahrenheit 451 over the weekend, and I think I can say that if I recommended one book for someone to read in their life, it would be that book. I love it.

I never read the Chronicles of Narnia, but I have heard they are good. Maybe I will read them after I read the books I got for Christmas.